• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I was just watching a video on environmental storytelling, how you get to know characters through letters they've written, photographs on their bench, art they've drawn, awards they've won etc. But how many people write letters or print out photos for albums these days? Many achievements are recognized via email/social media/professional networks. A lot of items we own are also digital now - books, movies, games, tickets to events. So many conversations with friends and family happen online and are archived. Web browsing history, music and podcasts playlists, photos and posts on social media can all form part of a person's digital record. While these last items I've listed are not exactly possessions, they do help describe your tastes, choices and personality. At the same time though there's many possessions which don't have a digital counterpart. Your sporting gear, your clothes, gifts from friends and family, musical instruments (well traditional instruments), home furniture/decorations, car, house, items of sentimental value or handed down from family etc.

This isn't really about storytelling in games. I understand that rummaging through and interacting with traditional physical objects is more interesting for the player. The video just got me thinking whether someone would have an easier time getting to know who I am through the items in my house/office or by looking through my PC/phone (assuming they have full access). Definitely the latter for me as I don't own that many things. I feel like I had a lot more physical things as a kid than as an adult and that's not because of budget restrictions but out of choice.

This is an obvious answer in hindsight now that I've typed that all out but I'm wondering if it really is true for most others as well.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well... yeah.

My physical possessions would tell someone that I read a lot of nerdy books, play video games, dapple in martial arts and have terrible fashion sense. They'd also collectively indicate that I don't have much money.

My online history would tell someone more than I'd ever want them to know.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
My physical possessions would tell someone I'm a nerd.

My online history would tell them I'm an even bigger nerd than they thought.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I was picturing my digital library at first, and I think it extends to digital record. You need to be able to shape your representation, throw away the things you don't want. But it's too personal and maybe sociopathic to curate your post history. Twitter even, search history, bookmarks. But everyone would probably be fine curating their steam library as an outward extension of themselves. But digitally there is no reason to inherently slough your digital footprint/library, it's not as heavy as baggage.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, my video game, blu-ray and music CD collections overwhelm all their digital counterparts.

And yeah anyone who comes to my place will immediately know that I'm a nerd, but I don't really give a shit.