• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both people were idiots in this scenario so nobody wins. But I do have to say, I'm sick of people bringing there dogs every single place they go and think every person in the world should be comfortable around their dog. The other day some asshole brought his German Shepard into home depot and it was pretty clear that this dog wasnt that friendly. Kids were walking by and you can see the dog starting to get a bit aggressive. This shit is starting to turn into an ego thing.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Perhaps another solution is to treat all life with respect and dignity.
Of course, but I'm absolutely for mandatory training for every dog, within cities at least. In a place with such high population density, we need to regulate animals that are taken outside. People are irresponsible, we can't trust them to train their dogs, and I don't believe it should be acceptable to keep poorly/untrained dogs so close to so many people.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
A person can have the same sort of reaction as a dog if you push them too far, are you telling me if someone kept pushing you that you wouldn't get pissed, dogs just don't understand what or if they've done something wrong unless told. While obviously this could have been prevented by the owner not bringing the dog in such a crowded place. But what your saying is just plain ignorant, everything can be violent, but your blaming the dog for, what was probably, the owners fault.

No I agree, it's the owner's fault. Dogs generally don't have any concept of proportionality; they go from zero to mauling with the line being determined by their individual personality and upbringing. I won't blame a victim for not knowing where that line is.

The fuck? Would you shove a person and expect them to accept it without reciprocation? Would you be shocked if they shoved back?

If you shove a person sitting down on the NYC subway for no reason there is a good chance you're going to get hit. Do it on a weekend late at night after people have been drinking and the chances approach 100%

Yeah, sure. Just an innocent pup minding his own business on the subway.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also props to all those standing around and capturing evidence of the attack to hand over to the police. Certainly the woman getting attack did not need any help

Honestly, she wasn't in that much of a danger as it only has her shoe. If anyone were to get involved, the dog might have grabbed their arm or worse. Also the dog might have felt more threatened. The way it played out, was probably best case scenario.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
This is exactly what I see in practice (I am a vet) and tell people. Media are using Pit Bull for sensationalism, this is not real journalism. Thousands of people are bitten by dog every day. Don't rely on the news to give you an accurate statistical information on the risk of a particular breed. This is just sensation media.

Pit bull are generally very sweet dogs and good family pets. There are exception just like there is exception in any breed (I have seen vicious Golden Retrievers which are generally seen as the epitome of family dog). I don't treat my Pit Bull patient differently than my other large dog patients.

There is plenty of bad dogs and plenty of bad dogs owner. Some of my Pit Bull patients are sweet heart that give kisses and are just loving animal. Some are not. The ratio for good pit bulls to bad is better than several other breeds I see (Cocker Spaniels for example).

Pit Bulls are not superman of the dog world, they don't have more strength than other dog of similar size. I have wrestle enough dogs to attest this. Research show the same.

Studies have shown that Pit Bulls are largely over represented in media in relation of actual number of dog bites. Real statics do not shown more attack from Pit Bulls in relation to the number of numbers of Pit Bulls vs general dog population. Historically, other breed have had notorious media coverage in the past, it's whatever strike the fancy of the media of the age.

Also, Pit Bull are over represented in minority race ownership ratio compared to 'white' man in the US. Many believe this is one of the reason the breed have been targeted. I worked as a vet in the US for 6 year, and Pit Bull was the most common family dog for black family in my area just like lab were the most common in white family.

Breed ban has no scientific justification based on bite statistic. This is even the position of the Federal US government based on statistic.

Point is, if a Golden Retriever bite, it is NOT news worthy. If a Pit Bull bite then you have news, especially if you have footage.

I don't think people should brig their dog on public transportation regardless of the breed.

Using sensationalism media as your source of info is how you end up with Trump as president.

Again statistic don't show Pit Bulls as a much greater risk than other dog similar size. Be careful doing generalization based on media coverage.

Oct 26, 2017
7dd77d7ac3a7c1a6cc0b891639f97e47.jpg

Remember when Pitbulls were common family dogs
Remember when it was the Dobermans that were the scum of the earth
Then the Rottweilers
Then German Shepards
Now it's the Pittbull's turn
What will it be in 10 years
None of these are new breeds or just started craving human flesh recently
It's just a rotation of what's fashionable with stupid asocial morons. Just like cars. 20 years ago assholes were driving BMWs, then the same type of idiots started fancying Audi's... Both the cars and the dogs are merely, an extension of their assholery. But dogs are living beings, so it's extra tragic.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your dog can't handle being pushed aside a bit in a city where this will naturally happen from time to time, don't have a dog in a city. My dog was well trained. You could have kicked her and the only consequence would have been my father kicking your ass. The dog was no danger to anyone. Don't push the blame on the person being bit, here.
That|'s nonsense. Dogs can be trained to never attack a human - Pitbulls for dog fights were actually trained that way. But for whatever reason people are owning dogs to compensate for something or see them as something human like and aren't interested to train and treat dogs properly anymore.
Pushing the dog multiple times is not "being pushed aside a bit." There was no excuse for anyone to put their hands on that dog. And nobody is required to train their animal to take a beating without reacting.

EDeadman94

User Requested Ban
Oct 29, 2017
I then from NYC would tell you you're an idiot for provoking an animal. It's going to attack you. You can stand. It's not fucking worth it. I take a packed 7 train from Main Street to 42nd to then hop on a packed 2/3 train to Fulton. Back and forth 5 days a week, you'll be fine standing. At no point has provoking a problem over a seat been worth it in all my subway riding history.

Papi, don't break the law in New York this ain't even a discussion. I don't care who provoked who just don't break the law. The guy with the dog broke the law. I def don't think you from NYC with the mindset of letting a dog take a seat on a pack train. Smfh When the dog was biting the women's foot the bystanders didn't bite her as well, they helped her and didn't mind their business

Oct 28, 2017
No I agree, it's the owner's fault. Dogs generally don't have any concept of proportionality; they go from zero to mauling with the line being determined by their individual personality and upbringing. I won't blame a victim for not knowing where that line is.
It wasn't exactly mauling. And also I think I would say anyone should know that the line is not pushing it in the first place unless they felt like they were in immediate danger, which is a different story. Not completely blaming the person who it attacked, but you can't say that they weren't completely blameless in the way they handled the situation.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't exactly mauling. And also I think I would say anyone should know that the line is not pushing it in the first place unless they felt like they were in immediate danger, which is a different story. Not completely blaming the person who it attacked, but you can't say that they weren't completely blameless in the way they handled the situation.

The only reason this wasn't a mauling was because the dog latched on to her shoe instead of her leg. It could have easily been much worse.

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason this wasn't a mauling was because the dog latched on to her shoe instead of her leg. It could have easily been much worse.
But the dog didn't even go for her again after the shoe came off. Once again the dog was defending itself in the only way it knew how, the only people at fault are the owner and the person who pushed the dog twice.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Only lunatics and weirdos start touching, let alone slapping random unknown animals. I don't care if it's a Chihuahua. If I don't know the dog, I'm not touching it.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry boo boo, but you down kill dogs because they bit shoes or what "could" have happened. That is not enough.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of putting the dog down in this case. I am in favor of prosecuting its owner for creating and escalating a dangerous situation.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
why does the dog need to be put down? for being a dog?
Dog clearly tried to bite her, lady got lucky that the dog only got her shoe and not her entire foot. That huge ass dog doesn't even belong on the subway and yes if a dog attacks a person in a public area it needs to be put down and the owner needs to be charged.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly what I see in practice (I am a vet) and tell people. Media are using Pit Bull for sensationalism, this is not real journalism. Thousands of people are bitten by dog every day. Don't rely on the news to give you an accurate statistical information on the risk of a particular breed. This is just sensation media.

Pit bull are generally very sweet dogs and good family pets. There are exception just like there is exception in any breed (I have seen vicious Golden Retrievers which are generally seen as the epitome of family dog). I don't treat my Pit Bull patient differently than my other large dog patients.

There is plenty of bad dogs and plenty of bad dogs owner. Some of my Pit Bull patients are sweet heart that give kisses and are just loving animal. Some are not. The ratio for good pit bulls to bad is better than several other breeds I see (Cocker Spaniels for example).

Pit Bulls are not superman of the dog world, they don't have more strength than other dog of similar size. I have wrestle enough dogs to attest this. Research show the same.

Studies have shown that Pit Bulls are largely over represented in media in relation of actual number of dog bites. Real statics do not shown more attack from Pit Bulls in relation to the number of numbers of Pit Bulls vs general dog population. Historically, other breed have had notorious media coverage in the past, it's whatever strike the fancy of the media of the age.

Also, Pit Bull are over represented in minority race ownership ratio compared to 'white' man in the US. Many believe this is one of the reason the breed have been targeted. I worked as a vet in the US for 6 year, and Pit Bull was the most common family dog for black family in my area just like lab were the most common in white family.

Breed ban has no scientific justification based on bite statistic. This is even the position of the Federal US government based on statistic.

Point is, if a Golden Retriever bite, it is NOT news worthy. If a Pit Bull bite then you have news, especially if you have footage.

I don't think people should brig their dog on public transportation regardless of the breed.

Using sensationalism media as your source of info is how you end up with Trump as president.

Again statistic don't show Pit Bulls as a much greater risk than other dog similar size. Be careful doing generalization based on media coverage.

Informative posts people are likely to ignore, because it doesn't fit in with their uninformed fear-mongering of a dog breed.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dog clearly tried to bite her, lady got lucky that the dog only got her shoe and not her entire foot. That huge ass dog doesn't even belong on the subway and yes if a dog attacks a person in a public area it needs to be put down and the owner needs to be charged.

If you're out for a walk with your dog and I decide to give it a good kick, do I get to shoot it when it nips at my heel? Ofc the dude shouldn't have brought it on the train, that doesn't mean the pup should be condemned to death for his and the woman's stupidity.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
or maybe it should go to another home not in the city? like, it's a dog, if you provoke a dog there's a chance it will bite you. it doesn't know what it's doing is bad, and it shouldn't die for just doing something that dogs do.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Terminus]If you're out for a walk with your dog and I decide to give it a good kick, do I get to shoot it when it nips at my heel? Ofc the dude shouldn't have brought it on the train, that doesn't mean the pup should be condemned to death for his and the woman's stupidity.

If you kick a dog while you're walking down the street, it's obviously your fault. But this wasn't the street, it was a subway where the dog didn't belong and unless I missed it it didn't say that the lady attacked the dog. From what I understand the dog was on a train where it didn't belong and was sitting on a seat. Lady pushed the dog to the side on the seat and he tried to bite her and ended up getting her shoe instead.

Going by the avatar, this particular poster pretty much wants all dogs killed. Some of his GAF posts on the subject were insane.
Huh I never said all dogs should die, if you're going to claim that mind posting some links. Only time I ever said a dog needs to be put down is if it attacked or tried to attack a human. I can make up shit about you too.

Last edited:

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got some balls putting a dog on a subway seat like that during rush hour. Blame the owner for creating the situation.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the lady at fault here. The dog doesn't belong on the subway nor it should be taking up a seat. And kicking isn't the same as touching.
The woman doesn't share any blame? Ok guys, there is no reason to argue with him here. Clearly they are blind/and or not right in the mind.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That poor dog. Sounds like an irresponsible owner and I'm not going to blame the dog though when the woman is pushing the dog and the owner starts fighting with the woman. Dog just saw his pack leader attack some (or be attacked) and follows suit. But the dog is going to be the one who pays :(.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Has Been Banned (1d): Insensitive post advocating extinction of an entire animal breed, in conjunction with previous warnings
Pitbulls need to be euthanized out of existence. A breed designed to kill and go apeshit. Seriously, how many deaths have resulted from these monsters? Fuck these dogs and fuck their owners.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
what is the point of owning pitbulls besides killing people

shoutouts to animegaf irc circa 2013

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Just in case anyone ever is in a situation, try to pick up the back legs of a dog. They can't balance and will usually release. Then you've got to redirect them or hope they don't want more.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Pitbulls need to be euthanized out of existence. A breed designed to kill and go apeshit. Seriously, how many deaths have resulted from these monsters? Fuck these dogs and fuck their owners.

There would be a lot of sweet dogs and patient dogs that would be put to sleep if we did this. Hell, watch any animal planet animal cops show. The pit bulls are the ones who still end up passing the temperment tests with flying colors despite being rescued from abusive situations. And I can attest working at a pet store that there are plenty of them that just want to lick your face and love on you.

They were the popular family dog before labs got popular. And they aren't designed to go apeshit. Even the ones bred for fighting are bred to go after other dogs and have to be trained to be that mean. That's why they get sacrificial animals like weaker dogs (even other pits) and cats and small animals to teach them to be mean (dog fighters can die in a fire in my opinion).

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
Lol the lady clinging onto her boot. Just let that shit go

I've owned a few pits in my lifetime. They can be the sweetest. Also turn aggressive on a dime. Owners should take more care having one as a pet..

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If I may:

It is likely that that the vast majority of pit bull type dogs in our communities today are the result of random breeding—two dogs being mated without regard to the behavioral traits being passed on to their offspring. The result of random breeding is a population of dogs with a wide range of behavioral predispositions. For this reason it is important to evaluate and treat each dog, no matter its breed, as an individual.

While a dog's genetics may predispose it to behave in certain ways, genetics do not exist in a vacuum. Rather, behavior develops through a complex interaction between environment and genetics. This is an especially important consideration when we look at an individual dog versus a breed. Many diverse and sometimes subtle factors influence the development of behavior, including, but not limited to, early nutrition, stress levels experienced by the mother during pregnancy, and even temperature in the womb. And when it comes to influencing the behavior of an individual dog, factors such as housing conditions and the history of social interactions play pivotal roles in behavioral development. The factors that feed into the expression of behavior are so inextricably intertwined that it's usually impossible to point to any one specific influence that accounts for a dog becoming aggressive.

This is why there is such variation in behavior between individual dogs, even when they are of the same breed and bred for the same purpose. Because of the impact of experience, the pit bull specifically bred for generations to be aggressive may not fight with dogs and the Labrador retriever bred to be a service dog may be aggressive toward people.

Early positive experiences, most notably socialization, are considered key in preventing aggressive tendencies in dogs. Puppies that learn how to interact, play and communicate with both people and members of their own and other species are less likely to show aggressive behavior as adults. Given the powerful impact of socialization, it's no surprise that dogs that are chained outside and isolated from positive human interaction are more likely to bite people than dogs that are integrated into our homes. Unfortunately, pit bull type dogs that find themselves in these conditions may be at greater risk for developing aggressive behavior.

The reality is that dogs of many breeds can be selectively bred or trained to develop aggressive traits. Therefore the responsible ownership of any dog requires a commitment to proper socialization, humane training and conscientious supervision. Despite our best efforts, there will always be dogs of various breeds that are simply too dangerous to live safely in society. We can effectively address the danger posed by these dogs by supporting the passage and vigorous enforcement of laws that focus, not on breed, but on people's responsibility for their dogs' behavior, including measures that hold owners of all breeds accountable for properly housing, supervising and controlling their dogs.

Laws that ban particular breeds of dogs do not achieve these aims and instead create the illusion, but not the reality, of enhanced public safety.

n a a statement issued in 2013, President Obama said "[w]e don't support breed-specific legislation—research shows that bans on certain types of dogs are largely ineffective and often a waste of public resources. And the simple fact is that dogs of any breed can become dangerous when they're intentionally or unintentionally raised to be aggressive."

Source: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dog needs to be put down, owner needs to be charged.

Dude, its owner was in the wrong bringing him on the subway but don't start physically engaging the dog and fighting the owner over it FFS. If someone tried to confront me or my family and started getting physical, I'd sure as fuck want my German Shepherd to start chomping.

Everyone here is an asshole EXCEPT the dog

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There would be a lot of sweet dogs and patient dogs that would be put to sleep if we did this. Hell, watch any animal planet animal cops show. The pit bulls are the ones who still end up passing the temperment tests with flying colors despite being rescued from abusive situations. And I can attest working at a pet store that there are plenty of them that just want to lick your face and love on you.

They were the popular family dog before labs got popular. And they aren't designed to go apeshit. Even the ones bred for fighting are bred to go after other dogs and have to be trained to be that mean. That's why they get sacrificial animals like weaker dogs (even other pits) and cats and small animals to teach them to be mean (dog fighters can die in a fire in my opinion).
That's ok. It's not worth it. Every year we have hundreds of disfigurements and dozens deaths by this breed.

2017-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

Victim age groups and gender
  • Annual data from 2017 shows that 38% (15) of the fatality victims were children ages 8-years and younger and 62% (24) were adults, ages 21-years and older. Of the total adults killed by canines in 2017, pit bulls were responsible for 88% (21).
  • Victims 50-years and older suffered the most, accounting for 75% (18) of all adult fatalities. Death by adult age groups show: 21-29 years, 13% (3) deaths; 30-49 years, 13% (3) deaths; 50-69 years, 38% (9) deaths and 70+ years, 38% (9) deaths.
  • In 2017, female victims (22) were greater in number than male victims (17). Among children ages 8-years and younger, male victims dominated, 73% vs. 27% and among adults 21-years and older, female victims dominated, 75% vs. 25%.
  • Of the 15 children killed by dogs, newborns 2 to 4-weeks old accounted for 27% (4) of all deaths and babies 2 to 20-months old accounted for 40% (6). Combined, these two vulnerable age groups accounted for 67% (10) of all children killed by dogs.
Ridiculous. I'm all for banning guns too by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.