• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember this?

The Department of Justice has dropped a case that was, indeed, a laughing matter.

Desiree Ali-Fairooz was scheduled to stand for her second trial on Nov. 13 after being arrested for what appeared to be laughing during Attorney General Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing in January. Ali-Fairooz tweeted she had received notice that her case was being dropped on Monday afternoon.

Ali-Fairooz, an activist with the organization Code Pink, was convicted of disrupting Congress when she let out a laugh while reacting to Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby that Sessions' record of "treating all Americans equally under the law is clear and well-documented." She was found guilty in May, and was told she faced up to six months in jail.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/07/doj-drops-case-woman-laughed-at-jeff-sessions-244646

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad those petty assholes didn't push it further, but it never should have gotten this far in the first place. What a laughable lawsuit.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But it'll still be two weeks before they say they're sorry.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did she spend any time in jail awaiting bullshit trials?

Because she needs to sue of she did

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can she sue the DoJ for dragging her through this legal battle? I'm sure she lost plenty of money fighting this case.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In many ways we're so similar to the very nations we strive not to be. Why this was even a thing is beyond comprehension.

Vortex

Oct 25, 2017
Good on the judge for tossing the first conviction, and for cooler heads ultimately prevailing.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This was a long time coming.

Hope she sues them for legal expenses, mental anguish, and for their embarrassingly frivolous prosecution of her.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Question: Was it a sensible chuckle, a putin laugh, a Big Bang Theory laugh-track laugh or an Ozzy Osborne opening track laugh?

I mean she was guilty for it, right?

Tex Murphy

Nov 2, 2017
"I think we've sufficiently hassled her and fucked up her life enough for her to get the point. Shut it down boys. I do declare, I am in need of a mint julep."

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Would have set some dangerous ass precedents.

Not really. It is illegal to protest in a Congressional hearing. That is already well-established. People are arrested for it quite frequently. It's not like they made up a new rule or pulled out some obscure law to charge her.

That isn't to say that I don't think it was dumb to bother pursuing it in court for so long at tax-payer expense for what was a very brief disruption, but for people acting like this was some legal novelty, that is not the case.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now they need to look into the guy who commited perjury during that hearing, because that's a bigger concern.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who arrested her, Joey Crawford?
dobPmtB.gif

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You might say... They were laughed out of court! BA-DUM-TISH.

Yeah, i know. Someone had to do it. I'll show myself out.