• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
I got dolby atmos for home theater from the Dolby Access app on Xbox Store. I was quite a bit excited and while the audio does feel better, there is a huge, huge delay. So I did my testing in the following video. I also noticed that when you connect your xbox to TV instead of the AV receiver the delay increase significantly. Here's the video. Do let me know if you've encountered a similar thing.

Test Setup:
  1. Xbox Series X
  2. LG B8 Oled
  3. Onkyo HTR-494 Receiver

Conclusion
  1. Connect your Xbox directly to AV receiver. It has been suggested to connect your xbox to TV and route that to your AV receiver. Don't, the delay added is huge.
  2. Actively try to avoid Dolby Atmos. Of the three tested it has the worst latency.
  3. Use 5.1 uncompressed audio for best latency.

Last edited:

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
If you have a receiver in your setup, I would recommend going through it. EARC and ARC is still in its early days

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's been a known issue on the LG OLEDs since the B6 series (2016 model). It's not just Dolby Atmos, it was any Dolby signal, many of us moved over to DTS to work around it.

Edit: your title is misleading, this is generally a TV issue not an Xbox issue

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
5.1 Dolby audio routed through my LG B7A has been a nightmare. I ended up just getting an HDMI audio extractor and using DTS. I had delays on everything but stereo audio through all my consoles. It's ridiculous. I love the TV otherwise but it's a common issue with LG OLEDs and it's crazy to see that with a $1500+ TV.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Works fine for me when I go directly through my receiver. However, then I can't get VRR, so I generally stick with DD5.1. Hoping to get a new set with EARC (which my receiver supports) later this year. Hopefully it won't have this problem. It won't be an LG due to my paranoia about burn in and the amount of ambient light in my living room.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Lip sync issues bother me a lot, so any latency/lag annoys me. I have a couple of dac/amps that I don't use for gaming because they introduce too much latency in games. I bought the license for dolby atmos for headphones and so far it's been... eh. Most of the time I just settle on stereo.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It's not an Xbox issue it's a known LG TV issue. Choose Dolby Digital on PS4/5 and it's still laggy.

I use uncompressed 5.1/7.1 on all my consoles to avoid these issues

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
It's not an Xbox issue it's a known LG TV issue. Choose Dolby Digital on PS4/5 and it's still laggy.

I use uncompressed 5.1/7.1 on all my consoles to avoid these issues
The problem is that when you choose this option on LG TVs the internal streaming apps stop passing atmos.

it's incredibly annoying.

edit: I still think there is an Xbox issue as it seems way worse than on PS5.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this have anything to do with Dolby Atmos for headphones?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got dolby atmos for home theater from the Dolby Access app on Xbox Store. I was quite a bit excited and while the audio does feel better, there is a huge, huge delay. So I did my testing in the following video. I also noticed that when you connect your xbox to TV instead of the AV receiver the delay increase significantly. Here's the video. Do let me know if you've encountered a similar thing.

Conclusion
  1. Connect your Xbox directly to AV receiver. It has been suggested to connect your xbox to TV and route that to your AV receiver. Don't, the delay added is huge.
  2. Actively try to avoid Dolby Atmos. Of the three tested it has the worst latency.
  3. Use 5.1 uncompressed audio for best latency.

What LG TV do you have? There's 0ms latency from an Apple TV to an LG C9 -> eARC to a Sound Bar.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
LG TVs always have a delay when passing through compressed audio codecs via (E)ARC. It's annoying but without a HDMI 2.1 Receiver your only solution to remove audio latency is to feed via the Receiver for Atmos and lose HDMI 2.1 features, or output PCM stereo and lose the Atmos. Hence I will buy an HDMI 2.1 receiver when the second gen models launch later this year.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Reminds me of the early PS3 days with everyone having inconsistent surround sounds. I miss optical cable.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I get the most audio latency with Xbox one X and Xbox Series X out of all the consoles I own. It seems to be mostly with Dolby. I got used to it, but it was pretty jarring at first.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Sound -> HDMI ARC -> Digital Sound Out -> switch that from default Auto to Passthrough

gkitJi7.jpg

There is also should be another setting for each HDMI port where you can select Bitstream instead of something else.... forgot where it is.. just browse everything sound related on TV.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Connect your Xbox directly to AV receiver. It has been suggested to connect your xbox to TV and route that to your AV receiver. Don't, the delay added is huge.
I was under impression that receiver HDMI passthrough is a few ms at most (sub 10). The bigger problem is the hdmi 2.1 bug in current receivers.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% an Xbox issue.

I have a 4k Blu Ray player -> LG CX -> ARC -> JBL 9.1 with full Atmos and there's 0 delay
Xbox -> LG CX -> ARC -> JBL 9.1 full atmos OR Dolby Digital and there's tons of delay.

My old TCL TV was Xbox -> TV -> ARC -> Vizio soundbar dobly digital and tons of delay. Turn Xbox to DTS and no problem. Issue is the LG CX has no DTS support.

This happened on my One X and my Series X. Never happened with my switch, ps4, or blu ray player. Happened on multiple TVs and soundbars. There's also tons of Xbox support threads about this issue going back to when the One X launched.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I noticed this last month playing RDR2 through my atmos soundbar. It sounds great...but everything was super delayed.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

I have a 4k Blu Ray player -> LG CX -> ARC -> JBL 9.1 with full Atmos and there's 0 delay
Xbox -> LG CX -> ARC -> JBL 9.1 full atmos OR Dolby Digital and there's tons of delay.

My old TCL TV was Xbox -> TV -> ARC -> Vizio soundbar dobly digital and tons of delay. Turn Xbox to DTS and no problem. Issue is the LG CX has no DTS support.
It's a TV issue. There are threads on TV forums from 2016/2017 discussing how their Sky Box is out of sync. My own PS4 Pro got switched over to DTS because once I noticed it on my Xbox I noticed it on my PS4 as well.

I'm sure you have devices working fine but the issue isn't limited to just Xbox, especially not on these older LG TVs

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know? Are you confusing lip sync with input latency?
Audio Latency is the issue in the OP. Not input latency.

It's a TV issue. There are threads on TV forums from 2016/2017 discussing how their Sky Box is out of sync. My own PS4 Pro got switched over to DTS because once I noticed it on my Xbox I noticed it on my PS4 as well.

I'm sure you have devices working fine but the issue isn't limited to just Xbox, especially not on these older LG TVs

answers.microsoft.com

Massive Atmos Audio Delay On Xbox One X

My setup is a Samsung Q95T with a Sonos ARC soundbar. My Xbox One X is plugged straight into my TV's Game HDMI port. The Sonos Soundbar is plugged into my TV's eARC port. On my Xbox sound settings I
answers.microsoft.com

Xbox series x audio delay with Dolby

Xbox one X worked fine with the same setup, PS5 has no delay. Series X on a Samsung hw850

Just two examples of the many folks dealing with Xbox specific Dolby audio delay with different setups that aren't LG TVs. This isn't a TV issue, or if it is, it's not JUST a TV issue. There's an actual problem with the Xbox audio.

OP
OP

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
LG TVs always have a delay when passing through compressed audio codecs via (E)ARC. It's annoying but without a HDMI 2.1 Receiver your only solution to remove audio latency is to feed via the Receiver for Atmos and lose HDMI 2.1 features, or output PCM stereo and lose the Atmos. Hence I will buy an HDMI 2.1 receiver when the second gen models launch later this year.

Thing is that even when you connect Xbox directly to AV receiver, the delay with Atmos is 2x more than that of 5.1 uncompressed.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I have the same issue with my LG and my SONOS. I can't tell in most games but some it's blatantly obvious there is a delay.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
No delay if everything is configured properly... see my post above. Crazy delay when TV has to first check what audio format it's dealing with first before deciding what to do with it so it requires some help... put that baby in passthrough/bitstream mode and enjoy.

Well... no any crazy delay at least, 40-50ms ballpark would be my guess.

XSX -> C9 -> eARC -> Sony DH790 is my chain

OP
OP

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
Sound -> HDMI ARC -> Digital Sound Out -> switch that from default Auto to Passthrough

gkitJi7.jpg

There is also should be another setting for each HDMI port where you can select Bitstream instead of something else.... forgot where it is.. just browse everything sound related on TV.
My TV has "Auto" and "PCM" options only

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Audio Latency is the issue in the OP. Not input latency.

answers.microsoft.com

Massive Atmos Audio Delay On Xbox One X

My setup is a Samsung Q95T with a Sonos ARC soundbar. My Xbox One X is plugged straight into my TV's Game HDMI port. The Sonos Soundbar is plugged into my TV's eARC port. On my Xbox sound settings I
answers.microsoft.com

Xbox series x audio delay with Dolby

Xbox one X worked fine with the same setup, PS5 has no delay. Series X on a Samsung hw850

Just two examples of the many folks dealing with Xbox specific Dolby audio delay with different setups that aren't LG TVs. This isn't a TV issue, or if it is, it's not JUST a TV issue. There's an actual problem with the Xbox audio.
It's a well know TV issue, has been for 4+ years now. Here's a few examples:
Sonos beam:
en.community.sonos.com

Beam and LG OLEDs -Audio delay over Dolby DIgital still a problem? | Sonos Community

Has anyone connected a Beam to an LG OLED tv and tested whether the audio is delayed when using Dolby Digital? My Beam is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (canceled my B&H order and ordered on the Sonos site today). I have a 2016 LG E6P with the latest firmware (5.30.30). I wasn't aware of the...

Tivo, Sky and Google TV box issues:
www.avforums.com

LG OLED C7 / LG SH7B SYNC ISSUES

OLED65B7P firmware 03.60.09 I have tried everything I can think of and can not get audio to consistently sync and is often slightly delayed behind video. Used u tube s_PbyRpKrRk lip flap test video to check timing. Forum blocks link. There is a setting to output internal speaker + optical, not...

When the issue is apparent on Dolby sources from an Xbox, a PS4, a Sonos Beam and various TV boxes you simply cannot point the finger at one device, ignore the rest and deny it's an issue with the TV itself.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same for me.

LG C9 and Samsung Q80r with rear speakers. Using arc/earc.

Dolby has lag, uncompressed 5.1 doesn't use the center speaker (so i can't hear people speaking in some games) and compressed 5.1 isn't supported. So i have to use stereo and i hate it.

No problem with uncompressed 5.1 on my PS5 thankfully.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's a well know TV issue, has been for 4+ years now. Here's a few examples:
Sonos beam:
en.community.sonos.com

Beam and LG OLEDs -Audio delay over Dolby DIgital still a problem? | Sonos Community

Has anyone connected a Beam to an LG OLED tv and tested whether the audio is delayed when using Dolby Digital? My Beam is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (canceled my B&H order and ordered on the Sonos site today). I have a 2016 LG E6P with the latest firmware (5.30.30). I wasn't aware of the...

Tivo, Sky and Google TV box issues:
www.avforums.com

LG OLED C7 / LG SH7B SYNC ISSUES

OLED65B7P firmware 03.60.09 I have tried everything I can think of and can not get audio to consistently sync and is often slightly delayed behind video. Used u tube s_PbyRpKrRk lip flap test video to check timing. Forum blocks link. There is a setting to output internal speaker + optical, not...

When the issue is apparent on Dolby sources from an Xbox, a PS4, a Sonos Beam and various TV boxes you simply cannot point the finger at one device, ignore the rest and deny it's an issue with the TV itself.
Ok, and both of my examples, and my personal experience with a TCL TV are not LG related. So there's a problem with both the TV and the Xbox implementation of Dolby.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
There's less than a dozen games that have true Atmos support so I'd only use it if absolutely necessary.

OP
OP

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
Same for me.

LG C9 and Samsung Q80r with rear speakers. Using arc/earc.

Dolby has lag, uncompressed 5.1 doesn't use the center speaker (so i can't hear people speaking in some games) and compressed 5.1 isn't supported. So i have to use stereo and i hate it.

No problem with uncompressed 5.1 on my PS5 thankfully.

Try dts digital surround

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017

This happened on my One X and my Series X. Never happened with my switch, ps4, or blu ray player. Happened on multiple TVs and soundbars. There's also tons of Xbox support threads about this issue going back to when the One X launched.

I have the same setup...

XSX -> LG CX -> JBL BAR 9.1

Using EARC with ATMOS/DD from XSX the audio latency is way too high (audio significantly behind video). THe only solution is to switch the XSX to UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 and everything works fine. Yes LG's have been known to have issues but to that point, I run ATMOS from a BLURAY player or DIRECTV through the CX and there is no ATMOS/DD delay.

I also got a SHARC to see if the TV or JBL is terrible at EARC and the SHARC doesn't help that situation.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same setup...

Using EARC with ATMOS/DD from XSX the audio latency is way too high (audio significantly behind video). THe only solution is to switch the XSX to UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 and everything works fine. Yes LG's have been known to have issues but to that point, I run ATMOS from a BLURAY player or DIRECTV through the CX and there is no ATMOS/DD delay.

I also got a SHARC to see if the TV or JBL is terrible at EARC and the SHARC doesn't help that situation.
Oh that SHARC anecdote is very helpful. I was considering getting one to see if it would end this headache. I'm sorry it did not work. As of now, yeah, I just do uncompressed and it's fine.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

If plugging the Series X directly into an AVR produces a perfect sync, then yes, it's the TV that is at fault. As others have relayed, LG is notorious for adding delay when passing through Dolby streams.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Ok, and both of my examples, and my personal experience with a TCL TV are not LG related. So there's a problem with both the TV and the Xbox implementation of Dolby.
Whatever issue you have with the TCL may well be down to how the Xbox has implemented something, that I cannot talk to, but in this thread the issue demonstrated is with the TV not the Xbox.

My only issue with your TCL example is for all I know, and I don't to be clear, there may well be other devices you haven't tested that exhibit the same issue on it. Just like with the LG TV.
The Sonos rep implies this exists on several TVs, so something is causing issues across multiple devices and different sources, the fact switching to DTS fixed the issue for you implies it's possibly related.

As for why your Blu-ray player doesn't exhibit this issue, well, that's definitely an interesting one and it'd be great if we could identify what it's doing vs what all these other devices are doing.

With all that said I swear I once saw something about putting another device in between the TV and the source which changed the eDID or something and helped with this.

Edit: It wasn't eDID, it was an eARC splitter that someone claimed fixed this issue for them: https://www.thenaudio.com

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have the same setup...

If plugging the Series X directly into an AVR produces a perfect sync, then yes, it's the TV that is at fault. As others have relayed, LG is notorious for adding delay when passing through Dolby streams.

The thing to remember is that most TVs will process the audio even if it's set to passthrough. If you have game mode turned on the audio will pretty much always be delayed in a Console -> TV -> AVR setup. If you turned off game mode (but why?!) it might sync fine, but then you'd also have awful input latency since that syncing is designed for literally any media that isn't gaming.

If you're getting delay through your AVR, which should be nabbing the audio signal before anything else is passed to your TV, then there may be a setting for decoding on the AVR that isn't configured properly. PCM will always be fine, in this case, because it is literally uncompressed and requires no signal processing whatsoever.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
The common denominator in all of my problems is the Xbox running dolby, like I said BR player is fine, switch is fine, ps4 is fine. I'm connecting it via ARC to two different TVs from different manufacturers and Dolby has very bad delay. Something is wrong with how the Xbox transmits its dolby signal - and it's possible the TV can't quite handle it correctly. So from that point of view, the issue would be on both the console and the TV. At this point, all my audio issues are only happening on the Xbox.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I have a CX with the XsX directly hooked up to it and then using eARC/shARC back to my Dolby Atmos receiver. I don't have any noticeable lag during gameplay.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The common denominator in all of my problems is the Xbox running dolby, like I said BR player is fine, switch is fine, ps4 is fine. I'm connecting it via ARC to two different TVs from different manufacturers and Dolby has very bad delay. Something is wrong with how the Xbox transmits its dolby signal - and it's possible the TV can't quite handle it correctly. So from that point of view, the issue would be on both the console and the TV. At this point, all my audio issues are only happening on the Xbox.

Try playing a Dolby Atmos movie through the Xbox blu ray player and see if there is a delay. Another interesting check point would be to see games with native Atmos implementation. It is possible that Xbox is adding some delay to Dolby encoding of non Dolby audio but my guess is that the LG is what is making it unbearable.

I have a B7 as well but with a receiver in the mix