• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Weird that Dolby made a display standard exclusive
you'd think they'd want it on everything for adoption

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we get some decent games using the technology, will be interesting to see how it works.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
In tomorrow's news:

Epic makes timed exclusivity exclusive on their platform for the next 3 years.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Sony wouldn't implement regardless in the first place but then I remembered PS5's 3D audio doesn't support speakers (yet).

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Dolby Atmos could be great for games, and it hurts to see platform exclusivity.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Seems like a waste of money, how many people are picking up a console just because it has Dolby atmos.

unless Sony was going for the same deal and they didn't want to look like they had less features than ps5 which then makes business sense.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Well... at least we know it will be coming eventually? lol.

Timed exclusives are wack. People are gonna come in here and say "that's just good business" but explaining why a company does something doesn't absolve it from criticism.

(yes, the same goes for Sony and Nintendo when they pull some dumb shit)

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Well that's certainly something lol.

The console wars is about to take a turn. Now instead of arguing over frame rates and resolutions we can argue how this game sounds better than that game.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Well hopefully that only lasts two years, because Dolby Vision looks beautiful (I think Frostbite games are the only real example so far anyway). Atmos is hit and miss.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems weird for Dolby to limit the number of people who would want to buy their new products.....but hey MS must have paid them well.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, Sony isn't likely to adopt Atmos since they have their own proprietary stuff. Sort-of. And I have my doubts that they'd use DolbyVision, too.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this will be wrapped up in something Game Pass related. Like playing games or watching media content with this Dolby Audio/Visual plug in via the XBox platform.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I mean, PS5 wouldn't have used Atmos anyway, so I don't see the harm here seeing as no other platform (save for PC) would use it

Vision, yeah that's weird and Idk why they'd want to limit it

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Didn't know they could make technologies platform exclusive though I suppose the same is being done by Sony with their 3D audio tech. However, that is hardware accelerated and not software.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Exclusive tech support is fucking dreadful. Luckily I have PC for this stuff, but I'd be pretty upset if I didn't.

Joo

May 25, 2018
why? sony is trying to bluray their tempest engine with the ps5. it makes sense
Yeah Sony wouldn't use Atmos anyway, but there's also Dolby Vision and exclusive agreement on it is quite weird. Content for DV is increasing all the time, but there still isn't too much of it. Would just make sense for Dolby to have their HDR format on every possible device.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
why? sony is trying to bluray their tempest engine with the ps5. it makes sense
That's not a comparison here. Sony isn't selling a competing format, they have one that's license free for developers of playstation games.

Why would xbox need to secure exclusivity if that's the case?

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Well have to hand it to them, compared to last generation, Microsoft are waddling their big money dick around a lot more now

Status
Not open for further replies.