• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
OP adapted with permission by Stallion Free
dolphinthreadtitledjioru.jpg

Dolphin is an emulator for two recent Nintendo video game consoles: the GameCube and the Wii. It allows PC gamers to enjoy games for these two consoles in full HD (1080p) with several enhancements: compatibility with all PC controllers, turbo speed, networked multiplayer, and even more! - The Dolphin Devs

gettingstarted0bo5i.jpg

1. A Dolphin Build: daily updated Dolphin builds website.
  2. A Computer: dual core clocked at 3+ ghz, 4+ gigabytes of ram, and a modern videocard.
  3. A Wii: read this page to learn how to rip your games on your Wii.
  4. Xbox 360 controller (Recommended): works great with the emulator as a GC pad replacement.
  5. Wiimote (Recommended): many games require motions that cannot be mapped easily to another controller format.
  6. Motion+ (Recommended): a real Motion+ attachment is required for Motion+ games such as Skyward Sword.
  7. Steam Controller (Recommended): is a good way to play Wii games without access to a Wiimote.
  8. Bluetooth Adaptor (Required for Wiimote): view this list to find one compatible with the Wiimote so that it can sync to your PC.
  9. Wireless Sensor Bar (Recommended for Wiimote): so you don't have to use the one attached to your Wii.
  10. Dolphin Bar (Recommended): a popular two-in-one Sensor Bar/Bluetooth device that's relatively cheap.

reourcesx8u81.jpg

1. Game Specific Guides: pretty much every Wii game covered and discussed. Same for titles for GameCube, WiiWare, Wii Channels and Virtual Console.
  2. The Wiki Page: even more info for setting things up.
  3. Front Ends: boot directly into games from Steam. Dolphin specific stuff here.
  4. Progress Report: Monthly articles on the development progress in Dolphin. Highly insightful.

screensevoqh.jpg

3f7e49b38097bc943e6f539e03cc8de0.jpg

10137323663_584233d83b_o.png

gm8e01-2kkxde.jpg

36953535891_5ab16753cf_o.jpg

g8me01-18dku3m.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
datschge

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Now the reason why I was looking for a Dolphin thread on here to begin with. =) Let me know if you miss something in the OP.

Dolphin Progress Report: October 2017
Now that Wii Shop is supported within Dolphin a slew of NAND related fatal bugs have been fixed so that Dolphin smoothly handles the addition and removal of games and channels.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear they got Hybrid XFB working. The implementation and results both look awesome.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
datschge, you might want to add to the OP that Steam Controller is a good way to play Wii games without access to a Wiimote.
I'm currently 40+ stars into Super Mario Galaxy on a SC. No issues so far after the initial pad profile setup.

OP
OP
datschge

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
datschge, you might want to add to the OP that Steam Controller is a good way to play Wii games without access to a Wiimote.
I'm currently 40+ stars into Super Mario Galaxy on a SC. No issues so far after the initial pad profile setup.
Thanks Knurek, added it to the OP.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me out?

Every time Windows 10 installs a new update my Toshiba BT stack just completely screws up. Is there any way to fix this without having to reinstall it and go into the driver signature etc all over again?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone help me out?

Every time Windows 10 installs a new update my Toshiba BT stack just completely screws up. Is there any way to fix this without having to reinstall it and go into the driver signature etc all over again?
why do you need the Toshiba BT Stack? I'm pretty sure Windows 10's default Bluetooth supports all Wiimotes. Only Windows 7 needs the Toshiba stack.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
why do you need the Toshiba BT Stack? I'm pretty sure Windows 10's default Bluetooth supports all Wiimotes. Only Windows 7 needs the Toshiba stack.
So I have BT usb thing plugged into the back of my PC. At this point do I just uninstall all bluetooth things with the thing unplugged, then plug it in and let Windows 10 do its thing?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
So I have BT usb thing plugged into the back of my PC. At this point do I just uninstall all bluetooth things with the thing unplugged, then plug it in and let Windows 10 do its thing?
That would probably work, yeah. So long as the Windows 10 Bluetooth driver gets installed in the end.

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
Should I let Dophlin handle all the AA and AF or can I improve performance by setting my GPU to do it in the nvidia panel ?

CPU : i5-4670k
GPU : GTX 1060

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Have the emulator do it. Forcing AA/AF from NVCP doesn't work and barely affects performance vs doing it in the emulator anyway.

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
I actually gave it a try last night. I turned off AA and V-synch in Dolphin. I turned on AA 8x, supersampling 8x and vsynch in the nvidia panel for Dolphin and the game does look sharper and run smoother playing Xenoblade Chronicles. So, maybe it is better ? I'm gonna keep it like that and play some more and see how it goes.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last stable version is pretty old. Is there a known good dev release that's everyone's go to?

I copied my Wii NAND a while ago. With Dolphin these days, can I essentially virtualize my Wii?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
The last stable version is pretty old. Is there a known good dev release that's everyone's go to?

I copied my Wii NAND a while ago. With Dolphin these days, can I essentially virtualize my Wii?
Download the latest dev release, and update to newer dev releases every once in a while. There are few reasons to use older Dolphin releases.
With a NAND dump, Dolphin gets pretty darn close to virtualizing a Wii. Downloading the Internet Channel on Dolphin and seeing it in the purchase history of my real Wii was surreal.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Is there a good site or configuration to help me with setting up controls for a PS4 controller? I don't have a 360 controller, only a wired One controller. But I really want to play on a controller!

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
My Mayflash DolphinBar just arrived but I can't get it to enter firmware update mode, any help? The directions are in kind of broken English.
How to Upgrade?
  1. Download the firmware from http://www.mayflash.com/Support/Download/ and install it on your Windows system.

2. Double click on the firmware and leave the firmware window open on your screen.

3. Press and hold the SYNC button on the adapter.

4. Connect the adapter directly to a USB interface on your PC, still holding the SYNC button the entire time

5. As soon as the firmware window indicates under "Device" that the adapter has been recognized, you may release the SYNC button

6. Select "Update"

7. Do not disconnect the device until you are informed that the updated was completed successfully.

I got the download from like April 2017 or something like that. I run the exe, hold the sync button, plug the DolphinBar USB cable in the PC, nothing happens, no lights, nothing changes in the exe window.

The actual exe pop up thing has even more broken English and says:
Note: If the DolphinBar isn't in the Update mode, Please Press SYNC button then POWER on it, let it enter the update mode first.
I'm doing the same steps by using the power on switch instead of re-plugging the USB cable in but still no luck, the firmware update thing remains greyed out.

I want to make sure I have the latest firmware because people said in the past the infrared lights would remain turned on when not in use which would make them burn out too soon.

It works beautifully in games though, no problems at all other than taking a while to get it working with the Motion Plus accessory. I played The House of the Dead 3, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports Resort and others fine!

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
My friend has a good PC on par with mine (i7, gtx1070, I have a 1080) and says he can run pretty much every Wii game flawlessly but the Rogue Squadron games stutter to hell and back constantly even with the new ubershaders settings whether set to hybrid or exclusive. Anyone else? He uses the very latest version of Dolphin. The wiki says the games have no real problems, just shader stuttering that ubershaders were meant to solve, so it doesn't help. Was there maybe a regression in recent releases nobody noticed? I doubt that but it makes no sense he can run every Wii game yet a GC game has this much trouble regardless of settings (even if he disables all the improvements and goes full native).

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
My friend has a good PC on par with mine (i7, gtx1070, I have a 1080) and says he can run pretty much every Wii game flawlessly but the Rogue Squadron games stutter to hell and back constantly even with the new ubershaders settings whether set to hybrid or exclusive. Anyone else? He uses the very latest version of Dolphin. The wiki says the games have no real problems, just shader stuttering that ubershaders were meant to solve, so it doesn't help. Was there maybe a regression in recent releases nobody noticed? I doubt that but it makes no sense he can run every Wii game yet a GC game has this much trouble regardless of settings (even if he disables all the improvements and goes full native).

Have you tried using Dolphin 5.0? iirc some changes in subsequent development builds caused issues with the Rogue Squadron games and I don't know if they have been fixed yet or not.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I don't think he's tried 5.0, but I guess going back to 5.0 which doesn't have ubershader settings would also have problems due to that. Oh well, he'll play when they're fixed :o)

Shame the Dolphin wiki isn't updated to reflect those changes in games compatibility though.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rouge Squadron's hardware requirements went up significantly not long after 5.0 came out as they introduced "dynamic bat" which increased the overall accuracy but really hit the Rouge Squadron games hardest. So it's not a bug or regression, just a side affect of overall progress.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/dddd88aace046ee2443db6eef52e7e7b4caf7287/

I would go with PGamer's suggestion, use 5.0 and put up with manually building the shader cache. That or use a build of the Ishiiruka branch (with dx11 and asynchronous shader compilation) from around the same time, that is what I use and get full speed on a i3-6320 with a GTX 950 at 1080p.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Heya gang,

I'm downloading all my purchased WiiWare games to my SD card via Wii U (where I transferred Wii purchases), with the eventual plan to try them out on Dolphin.

Thing is...I can't find a clear answer on whether you can use WiiWare games copied to SD card on Dolphin. Can you? I found something about extracting a Wii's NAND and making wads out of the WiiWare games on there, but I'm not especially keen to do that given the Wii's limited storage and the process of copying all the games back over. Is there a way to just make wads out of the games stored on the SD card?

Thanks in advance. Solving this will finally get me to the dream of Bonsai Barber on PC :'D

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware the only way to get the WAD's with the Wii's unique key is to put them on the Wii and dumping the entire thing to the SD card through homebrew. I don;t know of any method of dumping your games directly from the SD card, something that I myself am hoping for, but doesn't seem it's happening.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
As far as I'm aware the only way to get the WAD's with the Wii's unique key is to put them on the Wii and dumping the entire thing to the SD card through homebrew. I don;t know of any method of dumping your games directly from the SD card, something that I myself am hoping for, but doesn't seem it's happening.

Yeah, having looked into it more since posting that it seems that's the only way, d'oh. Thanks all the same, got all the WiiWare games downloaded to SD card ready at least.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time looking into this, so I have some questions-
Do I need a Bluetooth adapter if my laptop already has Bluetooth(MacBook with Windows 10 installed)?
Is there a way to use the Wii's sensor bar or do you have to buy a wireless one?
I own a Wii so I'd like to play with a Wiimote but I don't have money to go out and buy a sensor bar.
In that case can I use a DS4? How much does using a traditional controller suck?

Thanks.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Do I need a Bluetooth adapter if my laptop already has Bluetooth(MacBook with Windows 10 installed)?

You don't need to buy another Bluetooth adapter if your laptop already has one. Wii remote Bluetooth connections can be a bit finicky at times so sometimes the specific model adapter can matter.

Is there a way to use the Wii's sensor bar or do you have to buy a wireless one?

You can use a Wii's sensor bar but that requires keeping the Wii powered on so that the sensor bar will work.

How much does using a traditional controller suck?

This largely depends on the specific game. Some Wii games map just fine to traditional controllers and others don't.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to buy another Bluetooth adapter if your laptop already has one. Wii remote Bluetooth connections can be a bit finicky at times so sometimes the specific model adapter can matter.

You can use a Wii's sensor bar but that requires keeping the Wii powered on so that the sensor bar will work.

This largely depends on the specific game. Some Wii games map just fine to traditional controllers and others don't.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll give this a shot tomorrow. I've been wanting to play some Wii games at a higher resolution lately.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested to find out about your experience of using running Dolphin on your MacBook. Which year/model is your laptop?

Thanks.

It's a mid 2012 MBP. I'm not completely sure but it's supposed to be the last one that didn't have a Retina display and also the last one that you could switch hard drives and add ram yourself. I've never used a more recent MBP but that's just what I've heard.

And I figure if I can run something like Dead Space 2 at 60fps and I can run PS2 games I should be able to run Wii games.
I'm not the most tech savvy, but I know an emulated game is not like a native pc game and requirements are different.
But I won't know til I try it.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mid 2012 MBP. I'm not completely sure but it's supposed to be the last one that didn't have a Retina display and also the last one that you could switch hard drives and add ram yourself. I've never used a more recent MBP but that's just what I've heard.

And I figure if I can run something like Dead Space 2 at 60fps and I can run PS2 games I should be able to run Wii games.
I'm not the most tech savvy, but I know an emulated game is not like a native pc game and requirements are different.
But I won't know til I try it.
Thanks. Wow, I'd never have imagined being able to run something like Dead Space 2 at 60 FPS on such an old MBP. Is that emulated or the PC game?

I look forward to your Dolphin impressions.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Wow, I'd never have imagined being able to run something like Dead Space 2 at 60 FPS on such an old MBP. Is that emulated or the PC game?

I look forward to your Dolphin impressions.

Im playing the pc version of Dead Space 2.

As far as Dolphin though......yeeeeah this isnt happening.
I can run it but the fps is really low, like 15-20fps. Ive messed with the settings for a few hours and nothing fixed it. Thats the dealbreaker.
Back to my low res ass Wii I guess. Wii games did look nice in HD though.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Im playing the pc version of Dead Space 2.

As far as Dolphin though......yeeeeah this isnt happening.
I can run it but the fps is really low, like 15-20fps. Ive messed with the settings for a few hours and nothing fixed it. Thats the dealbreaker.
Back to my low res ass Wii I guess. Wii games did look nice in HD though.
That's a shame. I'm planning to get a 13" MBP either this or next year. Primary use isn't for gaming but I'm hoping the new one can do a bit better than yours.

I have a Surface Pro 4 i5 with 4gb ram, which I need to try Dolphin on sometime.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. I'm planning to get a 13" MBP either this or next year. Primary use isn't for gaming but I'm hoping the new one can do a bit better than yours.

I have a Surface Pro 4 i5 with 4gb ram, which I need to try Dolphin on sometime.

It will. Mines what, 6 years old now?

Make sure to install Windows through bootcamp than a virtual machine like Parallels. The difference is pretty big.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you were using Dolphin via Bootcamp? Did you try the native OSX version?
Ok I messed with it bit more. I didnt notice the frameskip button until after I typed the previous response. It wasnt in the configuration or graphics menu. Its an option at the top of the window along with save states, and it helped a ton.
I tried a few games out at 720p with frameskip 2 on Windows 10 again - I could run Dead Space Extraction between 25-30fps, New Super Mario Bros Wii at 60 with infrequent drops up to 45fps or so, Super Mario Galaxy 2 just went up to 45 and down to 35fps, Silent Hill Shattered Dimension is really glitchy and only goes up to 30 for me, which is half the speed its supposed to be. No amount of frame skipping could fix it. And SSB Brawl was mostly 60 with dips into the 50s. At least with 2 characters on screen.
The native OSX version isnt as good as the Windows 10 version, at least not on my Macbook and with the settings i tried. Its extremely close though.
I think overall its a mixed bag with my old ass macbook. Im sure a newer one would have no problem running most things that arent glitched out on the native OSX version.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I messed with it bit more. I didnt notice the frameskip button until after I typed the previous response. It wasnt in the configuration or graphics menu. Its an option at the top of the window along with save states, and it helped a ton.
I tried a few games out at 720p with frameskip 2 on Windows 10 again - I could run Dead Space Extraction between 25-30fps, New Super Mario Bros Wii at 60 with infrequent drops up to 45fps or so, Super Mario Galaxy 2 just went up to 45 and down to 35fps, Silent Hill Shattered Dimension is really glitchy and only goes up to 30 for me, which is half the speed its supposed to be. No amount of frame skipping could fix it. And SSB Brawl was mostly 60 with dips into the 50s. At least with 2 characters on screen.
The native OSX version isnt as good as the Windows 10 version, at least not on my Macbook and with the settings i tried. Its extremely close though.
I think overall its a mixed bag with my old ass macbook. Im sure a newer one would have no problem running most things that arent glitched out on the native OSX version.
Ah, thanks for explaining. I look forward to trying it when I upgrade my laptop.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to try Dolphin, and I guess I am going to, but everything I read reminds me how this is even more temperamental pc gaming which really puts me off. But I am craving some Zelda and all my games are across the world...

My laptop is a Acer Aspire V 15, with 8GB of RAM and a i7-5500U 2.4GHz with 3Ghz "turbo boost". Intel 5500. Should I even bother with GC games?

Edit: Does it change anything if all I want is the original quality of the game, not ultra HD texture packs?

Last edited: