• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My Dolphin bar lasted about 20 hours before the IR flamed out (seems like a rather common complaint). Can't return it, because it was purchased many months ago. It's still a good bluetooth way to connect, but obviously worthless for pointing in its current state. Is there a cheap and reliable way to add some IR markers (not running candles on my desk... especially while blind in VR)? I'm definitely not buying another Dolphinbar when the IR inside is such crap.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
My Dolphin bar lasted about 20 hours before the IR flamed out (seems like a rather common complaint). Can't return it, because it was purchased many months ago. It's still a good bluetooth way to connect, but obviously worthless for pointing in its current state. Is there a cheap and reliable way to add some IR markers (not running candles on my desk... especially while blind in VR)? I'm definitely not buying another Dolphinbar when the IR inside is such crap.
You can find USB-powered sensor bars on Amazon for $10. I own one myself and it's decent but has issues at over 10 feet, while my stock Wii sensor bar works great at that range. I also admittedly haven't used it for very long, maybe a couple hours at most.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
You can find USB-powered sensor bars on Amazon for $10. I own one myself and it's decent but has issues at over 10 feet, while my stock Wii sensor bar works great at that range. I also admittedly haven't used it for very long, maybe a couple hours at most.

Yeah. I don't need a whole lot of range. I pretty much just play Dolphin in VR now. So I'm sitting a couple feet away from my desk. I just want something that's not going to burn out after a couple hours usage.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Anyone tried MGS: Twin Snakes recently? Stutters like crazy for me, particularly when a guard spots me or a gun is fired. Seems to be the case regardless of whether I use OpenGL/Vulkan/etc, plus I have ubershaders on

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question. I have a wii game downloaded on the wii u via virtual console

Is there a way I can somehow play it on dolphin?

OP
OP
datschge

datschge

Oct 25, 2017

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Tried dolphin again for the first time since late 2015... and nothing is working. Somewhere along the way a Windows update must have broken compatibility with wiimotes. I can't install wiimote drivers and every one I try goes undetected by windows. This blows.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Tried dolphin again for the first time since late 2015... and nothing is working. Somewhere along the way a Windows update must have broken compatibility with wiimotes. I can't install wiimote drivers and every one I try goes undetected by windows. This blows.
If you're using Windows 10, unless you're using Bluetooth Passthrough, you shouldn't need to download drivers for connecting Wiimotes. It should just work with the built-in Bluetooth.
That being said, connecting a Wiimote to Windows 10 for the first time is kind of a pain because the Wiimote often disconnects before Windows can fully pair with it.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question guys - when using Asynchronous Ubershaders with an Nvidia GPU, is it still best to use D3D11 or is Vulkan ok now? Last year I remember they said the shaders compiled under D3D were significantly faster than OpenGL or Vulkan.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Question guys - when using Asynchronous Ubershaders with an Nvidia GPU, is it still best to use D3D11 or is Vulkan ok now? Last year I remember they said the shaders compiled under D3D were significantly faster than OpenGL or Vulkan.

Late, but maybe still relevant: I was looking into this as well recently and D3D11 is still the best option for Nvidia in that use case, according to a post by one of the devs in early February of this year. I haven't fiddled around with it too much though. I've just set it to that, and it works the way I want it to.

Also, I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles now at 1080p, HD textures, 4x MSAA, 60fps, and with a Switch pro controller. All I can say is wow. What a gamechanger. Last time I played it was about six or seven years ago on a Wii, and it's just night and day compared to that. Tried to play it on Dolphin it a few years ago and had difficulties getting it running, but it's super smooth now.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been using Vulkan with Async Ubershaders and it appears to run fine. D3D11 is a lot slower on my machine with certain games like Rogue Leader.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
PSA for any other Mac Dolphin users—I don't know why it hasn't been merged yet, but the MoltenVK pull request seems to be basically done, insofar as it's working wonderfully for me. I've been playing Mario Galaxy all day, which used to be completely unplayable for me without rebooting into Windows.

(Caveat you still need good hardware overall—my system has a GTX 1080 Ti, so far from standard mac hardware. But still, it's a huge improvement, and I imagine simpler games will run on modest setups now.)

You need to download (the correct version of) MoltenVK and put it into the application's frameworks directory. Nothing too difficult, but if you're stuck/lost shoot me a PM and I can send my ready-made copy.

Ah, good to know. I'll have to see if it makes any difference on Xenoblade. Every now and then I still get the odd stutter.

You basically always will with Async Ubershaders, in my experience. It's a LOT better than it was back before we had Ubershaders, but it's not perfect.

To totally get rid of 100% of stutters, you need to use either synchronous ubershaders or skip drawing. You may actually be able to get away with the latter in Xenoblade, iirc it doesn't cause any big issues.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what settings I should use to get THPS3 to work in Dolphin on Android? Tried on both my S8 and on my Shield TV, and after the initial load screen, it's nothing but a corrupted image. Sound and inputs go through just fine, though.

Game works just fine on Windows, so I doubt it's because I did a poor rip.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey gang! I recently bought the Gamecube adapter for Switch with the new gamecube controller as well. I see that there are set ups for getting the WiiU version working for dolphin--I'd love to give this a go, but I'm not super knowledgeable about this sorta thing. Would it be the same for switch versions of the adapter+gamecube controller..? and do I run the risk of fucking anything up? i.e; bricking the adapter or ruining the controller somehow?

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Hey gang! I recently bought the Gamecube adapter for Switch with the new gamecube controller as well. I see that there are set ups for getting the WiiU version working for dolphin--I'd love to give this a go, but I'm not super knowledgeable about this sorta thing. Would it be the same for switch versions of the adapter+gamecube controller..?

Yes the process should be the same for the Switch version as far as I know.

and do I run the risk of fucking anything up? i.e; bricking the adapter or ruining the controller somehow?

All it does is install a driver on your computer. It does not do anything to modify the adapter itself. There shouldn't be any risk to the adapter or controller.

Last edited:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else have stutter/framepacing in the OpenGL and Vulkan backends? Fullscreen Vsynced OpenGL didn't stutter before, but it's been a while since I played with Dolphin.
I've tried various combinations of VSync on/off, exclusive/borderless fullscreen, render to main window on/off, fullscreen optimizations enabled/disabled.
Windows 10 17763, GTX860M.

edit: rolled back the Nvidia & Intel drivers and the stutter went away. Might experiment with this if I have time.
edit 2: stutter went away for Vulkan, not OpenGL, man.

Last edited:

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Support for resource packs has now been merged.

Does anyone else have stutter/framepacing in the OpenGL and Vulkan backends? Fullscreen Vsynced OpenGL didn't stutter before, but it's been a while since I played with Dolphin.
I've tried various combinations of VSync on/off, exclusive/borderless fullscreen, render to main window on/off, fullscreen optimizations enabled/disabled.
Windows 10 17763, GTX860M.

edit: rolled back the Nvidia & Intel drivers and the stutter went away. Might experiment with this if I have time.
edit 2: stutter went away for Vulkan, not OpenGL, man.

Have you tried enabling any of the ubershader settings?

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
Dolphin has been on my radar for YEARS, but I simply haven't taken the time to get involved myself. It's my goal for 2019, to FINALLY, built a dedicated Dolphin/Emulation machine this year.

I see these great texture mods for GameCube, Wii, and N64 Games, plus the great resolution improvements, and I want in!

I've always been a console gamer, so PC lingo is a bit over my head. Any advice on components? CPUs? GPUs? RAM? Brands?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Dolphin has been on my radar for YEARS, but I simply haven't taken the time to get involved myself. It's my goal for 2019, to FINALLY, built a dedicated Dolphin/Emulation machine this year.

I see these great texture mods for GameCube, Wii, and N64 Games, plus the great resolution improvements, and I want in!

I've always been a console gamer, so PC lingo is a bit over my head. Any advice on components? CPUs? GPUs? RAM? Brands?
I don't have any advice as I'm a console
gamer too, but do keep us updated on how you get on.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I picked up the Nyko Retro Controller Hub (which is really meant for Switch but looks like any other GCN USB adapter) and am trying to get it to work with Dolphin. I installed Zadig, and Dolphin detects the adapter at first but stops after booting up a game. Any ideas?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I just started using Dolphin and I'm really impressed.
Is there any way to load the latest save state, or to see the timestamp of states when I load them?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have issues with using Vulkan and "Failed to submit command buffer"? I have a Ryzen 2700 and GTX 1070. Thinking back, I've had this issue with Vulkan at least since I've gotten Ryzen (although it may have been longer than last summer). Never had the issue before this summer or so.

I've tried everything (other than rolling back to a very old Dolphin build). Tried a ton of setting changes. Tried new and old Nvidia drivers. Even went to the site where you can download the latest Vulkan runtimes and SDKs.

The game will refuse to launch (or error out after 60 seconds or so) and give me the "Failed to submit command buffer" unless I switch to DX11. It's not the biggest issue, but I have noticed a couple of games have glitches in DX11 and run perfect in Vulkan (or launch in Vulkan before I get the dreaded error message that locks things down).

Any known cures? I've searched forums, but people seem to imply it's a solved issue (which is certainly isn't in my case).

Not the advice you're looking for, but I absolutely LOVE playing Dolphin in VR (Vive). Dolphin has built-in SBS 3D and it's absolutely glorious on a large screen virtual theater in Virtual Desktop. Most of the games work fantastic in 3D too. It's one of my favorite uses of VR. Those Nintendo games in gorgeous OLED colors and stereo 3D (with zero jaggies) is a sight to behold.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have issues with using Vulkan and "Failed to submit command buffer"? I have a Ryzen 2700 and GTX 1070. Thinking back, I've had this issue with Vulkan at least since I've gotten Ryzen (although it may have been longer than last summer). Never had the issue before this summer or so.

I've tried everything (other than rolling back to a very old Dolphin build). Tried a ton of setting changes. Tried new and old Nvidia drivers. Even went to the site where you can download the latest Vulkan runtimes and SDKs.

The game will refuse to launch (or error out after 60 seconds or so) and give me the "Failed to submit command buffer" unless I switch to DX11. It's not the biggest issue, but I have noticed a couple of games have glitches in DX11 and run perfect in Vulkan (or launch in Vulkan before I get the dreaded error message that locks things down).

Any known cures? I've searched forums, but people seem to imply it's a solved issue (which is certainly isn't in my case).

Not the advice you're looking for, but I absolutely LOVE playing Dolphin in VR (Vive). Dolphin has built-in SBS 3D and it's absolutely glorious on a large screen virtual theater in Virtual Desktop. Most of the games work fantastic in 3D too. It's one of my favorite uses of VR. Those Nintendo games in gorgeous OLED colors and stereo 3D (with zero jaggies) is a sight to behold.
Tell me more! Which games are you playing on Vive?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which version of dolphin is generally recommended, the most bug free?

Or should I just try the latest stable build from 2 and a half years ago?

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Which version of dolphin is generally recommended, the most bug free?

Or should I just try the latest stable build from 2 and a half years ago?

I would generally go with the latest development build in most cases. There are a handful of games that run better in 5.0 currently (the Resident Evil and Rogue Squadron games for example the last I checked) but the latest development builds will generally be better in terms of bug fixes, features, and optimizations.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Tell me more! Which games are you playing on Vive?

Pretty much all my emulation is done through VR right now. At the moment, I'm replaying Super Paper Mario: 1000 Year door. Like most of the stuff from that era (and especially Japan), everything is programmed properly so 3D works great. The Paper Mario series is a little weird in that they render the sky at the wrong depth in the opening area, but 99% is rendered perfectly. The game is just so beautiful replaying in 3D.

The western stuff can get a little iffy in Dolphin. Things like the Bot games look terrible in 3D. They're broken beyond belief and you can tell they used a lot of "tricks" to make it "stand out". But like I said, the majority is programmed by the book so games aren't broken and need of fixing (like most modern games using 3D Vision were... and needed modders to fix).

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all my emulation is done through VR right now. At the moment, I'm replaying Super Paper Mario: 1000 Year door. Like most of the stuff from that era (and especially Japan), everything is programmed properly so 3D works great. The Paper Mario series is a little weird in that they render the sky at the wrong depth in the opening area, but 99% is rendered perfectly. The game is just so beautiful replaying in 3D.

The western stuff can get a little iffy in Dolphin. Things like the Bot games look terrible in 3D. They're broken beyond belief and you can tell they used a lot of "tricks" to make it "stand out". But like I said, the majority is programmed by the book so games aren't broken and need of fixing (like most modern games using 3D Vision were... and needed modders to fix).
Thanks for the feedback. I hope to try it sometime.

Jan 2, 2018
Is there any new information as to when a new stable version (6.0?) will be released? It is almost 3 years since the 5.0..

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, whats the best button config for a PS4 controller to play wii and gamecube games on dolphin?