Dolphin |OT| GameCube and Wii in the High Fidelity Era

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all my emulation is done through VR right now. At the moment, I'm replaying Super Paper Mario: 1000 Year door. Like most of the stuff from that era (and especially Japan), everything is programmed properly so 3D works great. The Paper Mario series is a little weird in that they render the sky at the wrong depth in the opening area, but 99% is rendered perfectly. The game is just so beautiful replaying in 3D.

The western stuff can get a little iffy in Dolphin. Things like the Bot games look terrible in 3D. They're broken beyond belief and you can tell they used a lot of "tricks" to make it "stand out". But like I said, the majority is programmed by the book so games aren't broken and need of fixing (like most modern games using 3D Vision were... and needed modders to fix).
I tried DolphinVR with the PSVR set and was really impressed, however there was a terrible lag time between moving my head and actually seeing it onscreen which caused serious nausea. I'll probably try again some day with another VR set, but the delay with PSVR made it impossible to play longer than a minute at most.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried DolphinVR with the PSVR set and was really impressed, however there was a terrible lag time between moving my head and actually seeing it onscreen which caused serious nausea. I'll probably try again some day with another VR set, but the delay with PSVR made it impossible to play longer than a minute at most.
Yeah I also found that PS VR on PC isn't worth it at all sadly.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I get such sub-par performance in DolphinVR that I just use normal Dolphin, SBS 3D, and Virtual Desktop (to play on a massive virtual desktop set in pitch black). It could have been all the software, but it also could just be DolphinVR. That build is years old and isn't optimized very well. I haven't tested since I upgraded to Ryzen 7 (2600), but I doubt it would have helped much anyways.

I find it's still incredibly immersive with SBS 3D on a massive theater screen. Plus you don't have to worry about culling issues or any of that broken stuff in VR.