• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all my emulation is done through VR right now. At the moment, I'm replaying Super Paper Mario: 1000 Year door. Like most of the stuff from that era (and especially Japan), everything is programmed properly so 3D works great. The Paper Mario series is a little weird in that they render the sky at the wrong depth in the opening area, but 99% is rendered perfectly. The game is just so beautiful replaying in 3D.

The western stuff can get a little iffy in Dolphin. Things like the Bot games look terrible in 3D. They're broken beyond belief and you can tell they used a lot of "tricks" to make it "stand out". But like I said, the majority is programmed by the book so games aren't broken and need of fixing (like most modern games using 3D Vision were... and needed modders to fix).

I tried DolphinVR with the PSVR set and was really impressed, however there was a terrible lag time between moving my head and actually seeing it onscreen which caused serious nausea. I'll probably try again some day with another VR set, but the delay with PSVR made it impossible to play longer than a minute at most.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I tried DolphinVR with the PSVR set and was really impressed, however there was a terrible lag time between moving my head and actually seeing it onscreen which caused serious nausea. I'll probably try again some day with another VR set, but the delay with PSVR made it impossible to play longer than a minute at most.

Yeah I also found that PS VR on PC isn't worth it at all sadly.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, I get such sub-par performance in DolphinVR that I just use normal Dolphin, SBS 3D, and Virtual Desktop (to play on a massive virtual desktop set in pitch black). It could have been all the software, but it also could just be DolphinVR. That build is years old and isn't optimized very well. I haven't tested since I upgraded to Ryzen 7 (2600), but I doubt it would have helped much anyways.

I find it's still incredibly immersive with SBS 3D on a massive theater screen. Plus you don't have to worry about culling issues or any of that broken stuff in VR.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Stable versions of Dolphin are a complete waste of time. It stalls development for months and then the new stable version is obsolete within weeks. Hopefully they don't bother going through all that again.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using Dolphin on an iMac/MacBook Pro? If so, how are you finding it and what are your system specs? I'm due to upgrade my ageing MBA, so hoping my next MBP can run it decently.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just started using this instead of breaking out the Wii U again for my gamecube games. I keep getting this popup with X-Men Legends, is it common/something to worry about? Trying to run through the series before the Switch one drops on Friday. From what I remember this game has issue on a variety of emulated platforms, even wii U.

Game seems to be running ok, but don't want to invest a few hours into it just for it to get to a hard crash point, but can't find any evidence that its unplayable on the current build.
D_ZW2HfUcAE7UBD

D_ZW2HhUwAAymj4

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
I bought this pc. I still get slowdown. I want to run GC & Wii 1080/around 60. I know nothing about PCs. Do I need to change Dolphin settings, or do I need to buy new hardware & get someone to install it for me? Any help would be appreciated! Here are my specs..
Specs

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this pc. I still get slowdown. I want to run GC & Wii 1080/around 60. I know nothing about PCs. Do I need to change Dolphin settings, or do I need to buy new hardware & get someone to install it for me? Any help would be appreciated! Here are my specs..
Specs
It's not your hardware.

Tell us what version of the emulator you're using, your settings, and what games you're trying to play.

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
It's not your hardware.

Tell us what version of the emulator you're using, your settings, and what games you're trying to play.

I'm using Dolphin 5.0. I'm pretty sure there was slow down from the start, before I made any changes other than resolution. All I have changed is resolution to 1080, full screen & v-sync. And I have turned off any text appearing. I have played Smash Melee, Double Dash, Smash Wii, Prime Trillogy (Metroid Prime), Mario Kart Wii etc

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
When you say Dolphin 5.0, do you mean the stable release? Because you should be using the development versions, those have tons of fixes and performance improvements.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Figured I'd fire up Xenoblade Chronicles after having not played it for a few years, but I loaded up my old savegame and performance seems to be pretty bad nowadays. In Valak Mountain, for example, at night it nearly lags until the whole thing crashes when it's night in-game (depending on where I'm looking).

I played through the entire game a few years back with absolutely no performance issues, and certainly nothing that dragged it to a crawl. That was on a Ishiiruka build of the time, but even the latest Ishiiruka build is giving me the same issues now as the standard build.

Has Xenoblade performance degraded in the recent builds for some reason or something?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Figured I'd fire up Xenoblade Chronicles after having not played it for a few years, but I loaded up my old savegame and performance seems to be pretty bad nowadays. In Valak Mountain, for example, at night it nearly lags until the whole thing crashes when it's night in-game (depending on where I'm looking).

I played through the entire game a few years back with absolutely no performance issues, and certainly nothing that dragged it to a crawl. That was on a Ishiiruka build of the time, but even the latest Ishiiruka build is giving me the same issues now as the standard build.

Has Xenoblade performance degraded in the recent builds for some reason or something?
I think the way it caches shaders has changed, so it could be the emulator rebuilding the shader database again.

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
Specs
So I installed the latest development version. Still getting slowdown at times. Does anyone have any advice about settings, based on my (above) specs? Cheers

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
So I installed the latest development version. Still getting slowdown at times. Does anyone have any advice about settings, based on my (above) specs? Cheers
What games are you trying to run?

edit nvm you posted them above

What do you mean by "slowdown"? Consistently <60fps, or 60fps with lag spikes/hitches, or something else?

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
What games are you trying to run?

edit nvm you posted them above

What do you mean by "slowdown"? Consistently <60fps, or 60fps with lag spikes/hitches, or something else?
eg. Smash Melee, FPS flickers around 60, but especially in menus drops to real low quickly, down to 10 or even 0, and the music stutters badly. Then often when a match starts the sound does that again & the graphics do too (the graphics move slowly), before usually returning to around 60. Mid match the same thing happens a bit too, but not too often

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
eg. Smash Melee, FPS flickers around 60, but especially in menus drops to real low quickly, down to 10 or even 0, and the music stutters badly. Then often when a match starts the sound does that again & the graphics do too (the graphics move slowly), before usually returning to around 60. Mid match the same thing happens a bit too, but not too often
*but not too often & not as badly

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
*but not too often & not as badly
You're probably running into shader compilation - the first time the game renders a graphical element it has to take time to compile the shader.
In the Graphics settings, try Synchronous (Ubershaders). If it's too laggy, try Asynchronous (Ubershaders), then finally Asynchronous (Skip Drawing) which has the least stutter but will introduce graphical issues at first load.

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
You're probably running into shader compilation - the first time the game renders a graphical element it has to take time to compile the shader.
In the Graphics settings, try Synchronous (Ubershaders). If it's too laggy, try Asynchronous (Ubershaders), then finally Asynchronous (Skip Drawing) which has the least stutter but will introduce graphical issues at first load.
Thanks, I'll give that a go

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
So I tried your suggestions out on Melee. The first option was too laggy. The second option made it so there wasn't any, or hardly any, slowdown during matches, which is definitely an improvement.I still get it a bit in the menus though, slowdown on the picture & sound. The music with slowdown can be quite annoying

Dees247

Sep 6, 2018
Specs
With the (above) specs, should I be able to run games with HD texture packs?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
With the (above) specs, should I be able to run games with HD texture packs?
You're more than capable of running games with texture packs. Most of them aren't much of a resource hog. And even if they were, have more than enough system and GPU RAM to handle anything the emulator is going to throw at you, unless you do something crazy like try to run things at 16k.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
For whatever reason all of my 4 Wiimotes don't work at all, in the sense that the leds don't even blink, batteries are not the issue since I tried with fully charged and different ones....

Any ideas what it's going on?....

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using Dolphin on Android, and if so, how is it? Wondering how it may perform on the new Galaxy Tab 6.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I want to play Sunshine but I can't deal with the camera. Is there any way to mirror the X-Axis of the C-Stick when playing with an Gamecube controller through Nintendos USB adapter? I don't get any/far less options for that in contrast to using a generic controller (like the DS4).

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play Sunshine but I can't deal with the camera. Is there any way to mirror the X-Axis of the C-Stick when playing with an Gamecube controller through Nintendos USB adapter? I don't get any/far less options for that in contrast to using a generic controller (like the DS4).

You have to use Dolphin's cheat-code system from a quick googling. If the internal cheat-code downloader of Dolphin doesn't grab it the code is here so you can add it yourself:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-widescreen-development-topic-archive?page=95 (5th post on the page)
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2433

No idea if a code for the PAL version exists if you need that one :/

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
You have to use Dolphin's cheat-code system from a quick googling. If the internal cheat-code downloader of Dolphin doesn't grab it the code is here so you can add it yourself:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-widescreen-development-topic-archive?page=95 (5th post on the page)
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2433

No idea if a code for the PAL version exists if you need that one :/
Thanks! I only own the PAL version, but if it doesn't work I don't mind importing an NTSC disk. I can still rip that with my PAL Wii, right?