• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Gosh I can relate to the foibles of trying to get cheat codes working on PAL games ha, run into that quite a bit with my ripped Wii+GC disks.

Still, I'm so grateful for the 60hz conversion codes that help iron out some of the rougher PAL releases.

In other news:

Was trying this out yesterday with the Prime 2 texture pack, gosh it's lovely :') Controls like a dream.

Performance was remarkably good too, still hitchy here and there but stable enough that this'll be how I'll finally play through P2

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thank you! I only ever tried to "port" a code once from a different locale and that was an exercise in frustration, without your help I'd be lost hahaha

I honestly would have no idea how I would even start to attempting something like that so I applaud you for even trying! And no problem, I'm glad I could help, enjoy one of the best Mario games and don't forget the 60fps patch! :)

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
So I have one question, recently I got from my brother his old game Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and I wanted it experienced in full resolution on Dolphin (I also have the console, but it's pain in the ass to fix since it's broken :O ), but I have heard that this game has 4th wall breakthroughs and I don't know if I can experience the game fully as it's meant to on dolphin or should I get my GC fixed?

Thanks in advance! :D

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Gosh I can relate to the foibles of trying to get cheat codes working on PAL games ha, run into that quite a bit with my ripped Wii+GC disks.

Still, I'm so grateful for the 60hz conversion codes that help iron out some of the rougher PAL releases.

In other news:

Was trying this out yesterday with the Prime 2 texture pack, gosh it's lovely :') Controls like a dream.

Performance was remarkably good too, still hitchy here and there but stable enough that this'll be how I'll finally play through P2

Just beat Prime 1 using PrimeHack and it ran flawlessly. From searching around on the PrimeHack discord, the performance usually dips when going into water. They've teased plans to not only update it to the current version of Dolphin but possibly create native KB+M button prompts.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following Dolphin's development for some time because their progress reports are really interesting, but rarely actually used Dolphin because I was never happy with how the games ran.
This might sound like a dumb question, but is the emulator actually capable of 100% stutter-free gameplay that is equivalent to running on real hardware?

I thought ubershaders were supposed to be the solution for this, but no matter what combination of settings I use I'm still seeing shader compilation stutter until it builds up a cache.
This is on a PC with a Ryzen 1700X and a GTX 1070, so it should be more than capable of running the games at full speed.
If you do have 100% stutter-free gameplay, what settings are you using?

I honestly hate having physical hardware for games and emulate older systems without any problems (perfectly smooth, no lag with G-Sync, and perfect audio) but this is making me think that I should give up and buy a Wii/Wii U for to play my old GameCube/Wii games again.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following Dolphin's development for some time because their progress reports are really interesting, but rarely actually used Dolphin because I was never happy with how the games ran.
This might sound like a dumb question, but is the emulator actually capable of 100% stutter-free gameplay that is equivalent to running on real hardware?

I thought ubershaders were supposed to be the solution for this, but no matter what combination of settings I use I'm still seeing shader compilation stutter until it builds up a cache.
This is on a PC with a Ryzen 1700X and a GTX 1070, so it should be more than capable of running the games at full speed.
If you do have 100% stutter-free gameplay, what settings are you using?

I honestly hate having physical hardware for games and emulate older systems without any problems (perfectly smooth, no lag with G-Sync, and perfect audio) but this is making me think that I should give up and buy a Wii/Wii U for to play my old GameCube/Wii games again.

What games do you have issues with? Asynchronous Ubershaders should get rid of most stutters but do keep in mind that emulation heavily favors Intel CPUs up until the Ryzen 3000 series. That said I don't think your 1700x should cause much bottlenecks. One other factor is storage though, my friends and me moved from a Wii to a PC playing Mario Kart Wii each weekend and we had inexplainable stutters every now and then till I one day noticed that every time we had a stutter the HDD light on my friend's PC lit up. I since then moved our Mario Kart Wii ISO to a 7200rpm HDD that was freshly defragmented and all stutters vanished.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
What games do you have issues with? Asynchronous Ubershaders should get rid of most stutters but do keep in mind that emulation heavily favors Intel CPUs up until the Ryzen 3000 series. That said I don't think your 1700x should cause much bottlenecks. One other factor is storage though, my friends and me moved from a Wii to a PC playing Mario Kart Wii each weekend and we had inexplainable stutters every now and then till I one day noticed that every time we had a stutter the HDD light on my friend's PC lit up. I since then moved our Mario Kart Wii ISO to a 7200rpm HDD that was freshly defragmented and all stutters vanished.
I was trying to play the original GameCube version of Metroid Prime, but have seen stuttering in most games that I've tried before.
Good call on the storage though. I had tried copying the game over to my NVMe SSD even though I didn't expect data access to cause problems considering how slow the original optical drive was - and the problem was not where the disc image was being stored. It was still stuttering then.

The issue is that Dolphin follows bad practices and stores its config files etc. in the system's Documents folder rather than its own directory or AppData.
Well that caused multiple problems on my system:
  1. I have documents stored on HDDs rather than SSDs.
  2. Windows 10's Controlled Folder Access was preventing Dolphin from writing to that directory at all.
I think I must have had a Dolphin folder in there from before CFA was a thing, so there was an existing Dolphin config directory in Documents that it was reading things like my controller setup from, but it was unable to write to that folder.
What else does it write to that folder along with the config files, save games, screenshots etc? The shader cache.
So I don't know exactly what its failure state was, but every time it was compiling shaders or trying to load from the cache it was stuttering badly.

It seems to have been such an afterthought for them, that there's no GUI option to move the dolphin config folder somewhere else either - you have to edit the registry to set another directory for those files!
Now that it's writing to the SSD, the game is running 99% smoothly. I played from the start of the game up to the point that you unlock missiles again and it was almost as smooth as real hardware. Unfortunately it did still stutter noticeably three or four times in what was maybe 20-30 minutes of gameplay.
The fact that it's still not as smooth as the real thing makes me wonder about going back to hardware for it. Everything up to PS2 emulation seems to be fine, but that type of shader compilation stutter or audio glitches really annoy me.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to play the original GameCube version of Metroid Prime, but have seen stuttering in most games that I've tried before.
Good call on the storage though. I had tried copying the game over to my NVMe SSD even though I didn't expect data access to cause problems considering how slow the original optical drive was - and the problem was not where the disc image was being stored. It was still stuttering then.

The issue is that Dolphin follows bad practices and stores its config files etc. in the system's Documents folder rather than its own directory or AppData.
Well that caused multiple problems on my system:
  1. I have documents stored on HDDs rather than SSDs.
  2. Windows 10's Controlled Folder Access was preventing Dolphin from writing to that directory at all.
I think I must have had a Dolphin folder in there from before CFA was a thing, so there was an existing Dolphin config directory in Documents that it was reading things like my controller setup from, but it was unable to write to that folder.
What else does it write to that folder along with the config files, save games, screenshots etc? The shader cache.
So I don't know exactly what its failure state was, but every time it was compiling shaders or trying to load from the cache it was stuttering badly.

It seems to have been such an afterthought for them, that there's no GUI option to move the dolphin config folder somewhere else either - you have to edit the registry to set another directory for those files!
Now that it's writing to the SSD, the game is running 99% smoothly. I played from the start of the game up to the point that you unlock missiles again and it was almost as smooth as real hardware. Unfortunately it did still stutter noticeably three or four times in what was maybe 20-30 minutes of gameplay.
The fact that it's still not as smooth as the real thing makes me wonder about going back to hardware for it. Everything up to PS2 emulation seems to be fine, but that type of shader compilation stutter or audio glitches really annoy me.

Well I'm glad to hear that we could atleast resolve the problem partially. I don't disagree that Dolphin should have better folder-handling and I haven't read about CFA yet but with the Documents folder being inside your own user folder it should have full read-write access on a userlevel, what exactly does CFA do here?

As for the remaining stutters, if you're still willing to troubleshoot this, first set Ubershader to "Skip Draw" and play a bit, if these stutters still happen then it's not related to Shader Compilation. In that case my advice would be to have a MSI Afterburner window open next to the game or simply the OSD enabled with GPU, CPU and HDD usage graphs so we can see why these stutters happen.

And since Dolphin is open-source, why not open up a feature-request as an Issue explaining the problems with the current folder methods? I'm sure the devs would be happy to hear about any issues there are with CFA so they can handle it in future versions. Here's a link to the issue-tracker: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm glad to hear that we could atleast resolve the problem partially. I don't disagree that Dolphin should have better folder-handling and I haven't read about CFA yet but with the Documents folder being inside your own user folder it should have full read-write access on a userlevel, what exactly does CFA do here?
Controlled Folder Access only allows whitelisted applications to modify protected folders, and the Documents folder is a default that cannot be changed.
It's an anti-malware feature so that a malicious program can't modify, delete, or encrypt your document files, for example.

As for the remaining stutters, if you're still willing to troubleshoot this, first set Ubershader to "Skip Draw" and play a bit, if these stutters still happen then it's not related to Shader Compilation. In that case my advice would be to have a MSI Afterburner window open next to the game or simply the OSD enabled with GPU, CPU and HDD usage graphs so we can see why these stutters happen.
Yeah, I'll have to investigate it further at some other time, but I'm pretty sure it was shader compilation.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Controlled Folder Access only allows whitelisted applications to modify protected folders, and the Documents folder is a default that cannot be changed.
It's an anti-malware feature so that a malicious program can't modify, delete, or encrypt your document files, for example.

Yeah, I'll have to investigate it further at some other time, but I'm pretty sure it was shader compilation.

Ah that's a good feature, good to know! Also keep us updated when you do, I'm sure we can figure the remaining stutters out.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

Fyi you can also change the config directory to the emulator's folder by making a "portable.txt" file next to dolphin.exe, if you prefer not to edit the registry. It's described in the same wiki page that you linked.
Emulation hitches are a bummer, I sometimes experience them on my end as well.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Probably should have dropped in here before I bought, but I needed a BT solution for Wii remotes and Dolphin since my dongle died. Opted for the Dolphinbar for a few reasons.

1. I needed a sensor bar solution too, and apparently the Dolphinbar is one of the better options.
2. Basically all of the fully functional BT Passthrough confirmed dongles seem to be old and discontinued.
3. It seems like the Dolphinbar has most of the benefits of BT passthrough anyway, just slightly worse Motion Plus accuracy (which I don't care about) and speaker support (also don't really care).

So Dolphinbar is still a good choice in 2019, right?

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017

Probably should have dropped in here before I bought, but I needed a BT solution for Wii remotes and Dolphin since my dongle died. Opted for the Dolphinbar for a few reasons.

1. I needed a sensor bar solution too, and apparently the Dolphinbar is one of the better options.
2. Basically all of the fully functional BT Passthrough confirmed dongles seem to be old and discontinued.
3. It seems like the Dolphinbar has most of the benefits of BT passthrough anyway, just slightly worse Motion Plus accuracy (which I don't care about) and speaker support (also don't really care).

So Dolphinbar is still a good choice in 2019, right?

If you don't care about Bluetooth passthrough then the DolphinBar is generally still a good option. The one other thing I would take note of is I've heard of some users having issues with the LEDs burning out quickly but I don't know how common that issue really is.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
From what I saw, the LED issue was supposed to be resolved by having it turn off when there is no Wii remote connected, so they don't just stay on forever.

Started SMG2 and it's working great so far.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Have a question, would appreciate if someone can help.

There' a lot of conflicting information about the Ubershaders. I'm reading in places that the Ubershaders do not work on the OPENGL or Vulkan back ends on NVidia GPUs, but in my experience D3D is a lot slower on Dolphin compared to OGL.

There's also a synchronous and asynchronous ubershaders. What is the general experience for people here using the ubershaders on NVidia GPU's ? What backends do you guys use ?

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There' a lot of conflicting information about the Ubershaders. I'm reading in places that the Ubershaders do not work on the OPENGL or Vulkan back ends on NVidia GPUs, but in my experience D3D is a lot slower on Dolphin compared to OGL.

Ubershaders work on every backend but are faster or slower depending on your GPU vendor and what mode you use. Both OpenGL and D3D are fine for asynchronous mode with Nvidia, read the blog post for exactly what and why certain backends are recommended for each mode and GPU.

Ubershaders: A Ridiculous Solution to an Impossible Problem

When you're playing your favorite game on Dolphin with a powerful computer, things should run fairly well. The game is running full speed, there are no graphical glitches, and you can use your favorite controller if you want. Yet, every time you go to a new area, or load a new effect, there's...

There's also a synchronous and asynchronous ubershaders. What is the general experience for people here using the ubershaders on NVidia GPU's ? What backends do you guys use ?

Asynchronous ubershaders is recommended, even by the developers as the GPU overhead to use exclusive mode is so much higher that it isn't worth it. I use asynchronous mode alongside DX11 at 1080p on a GTX 950 and everything runs full speed.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ubershaders work on every backend but are faster or slower depending on your GPU vendor and what mode you use. Both OpenGL and D3D are fine for asynchronous mode with Nvidia, read the blog post for exactly what and why certain backends are recommended for each mode and GPU.

Ubershaders: A Ridiculous Solution to an Impossible Problem

When you're playing your favorite game on Dolphin with a powerful computer, things should run fairly well. The game is running full speed, there are no graphical glitches, and you can use your favorite controller if you want. Yet, every time you go to a new area, or load a new effect, there's...

Asynchronous ubershaders is recommended, even by the developers as the GPU overhead to use exclusive mode is so much higher that it isn't worth it. I use asynchronous mode alongside DX11 at 1080p on a GTX 950 and everything runs full speed.

Thanks.

I read the whole thing. It is an absolutely fascinating read. I think I still need to do more testing, but the last time I tested a game with ubershaders I noticed an ungodly large disparity between D3D 12 Back end and Open GL (think more than 3x speed difference with performance limiter off). Maybe it was entirely game dependent or maybe I need to do more testing.

But as per the blog, either D3D or OGL is recommend for Hybrid (Asynchronous) mode which is the main takeaway I needed to hear.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If you don't care about Bluetooth passthrough then the DolphinBar is generally still a good option. The one other thing I would take note of is I've heard of some users having issues with the LEDs burning out quickly but I don't know how common that issue really is.

Mine burnt out after very light usage (just outside the 30 day return window) and I unplugged it from the PC when not using Dolphin. Probably got around 10 or 15 hours of actual plugged in usage before it became useless for tracking.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I'm so confused by this video. He is clearly running Brawl, but where did the Ridley model come from? Did they rip a Switch game model and used it on Wii? Also, why aren't more people doing normal map mods for the Wii/GC games? That normal map made Ridley look even more incredible!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm so confused by this video. He is clearly running Brawl, but where did the Ridley model come from? Did they rip a Switch game model and used it on Wii? Also, why aren't more people doing normal map mods for the Wii/GC games? That normal map made Ridley look even more incredible!

The original Ridley mod was a PM mod that came out well before he was ever even announced for Ultimate. At some point it was split into separate "modern Ridley" (the thicker Other M/Smash 4 Ridley) and "classic Ridley" (the skinny older Ridley) mods. I don't doubt there have been more spin offs of the Ridley mod with different moves or models.

And there are tons of lighting/mapping/texture mods for Brawl that change up the art style. Doubt any other games have enough of a following and even Brawl's modding scene seems like it's way smaller than it used to be, since I think a lot of people moved to Smash 4 mods or just quit.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know of the best guide to setting up both Mario Galaxy games? I'm long overdue trying them out but I've never used Dolphin at all before and would be more comfortable having a step-by-step guide on what to enable or disable for the games for the best experience (I'm alright with skipping the HD texture pack I've heard about).

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of the best guide to setting up both Mario Galaxy games? I'm long overdue trying them out but I've never used Dolphin at all before and would be more comfortable having a step-by-step guide on what to enable or disable for the games for the best experience (I'm alright with skipping the HD texture pack I've heard about).
dunno if it's all, but the wikia seems to show some important settings to change:

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Super_Mario_Galaxy

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Super_Mario_Galaxy_2

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Probably best place to ask this.

I've been itching to play some lightgun games lately. I hook my WiiU up and boot up a few, and its fine... But the tracking and sensitivity is hit or miss. So I think I'll get Dolphin up and running. How much better is the tracking on PC? And what do I need to make it work? My PC doesn't have Bluetooth, so I probably need a dongle (any recommendations?).

I appreciate any help!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Probably best place to ask this.

I've been itching to play some lightgun games lately. I hook my WiiU up and boot up a few, and its fine... But the tracking and sensitivity is hit or miss. So I think I'll get Dolphin up and running. How much better is the tracking on PC? And what do I need to make it work? My PC doesn't have Bluetooth, so I probably need a dongle (any recommendations?).

I appreciate any help!

Hmm I wonder, do you have a Dualshock 4?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Then you could try to run Dolphin through Steam and use the mouse-pointer emulation mapped through the DS4's gyro, I found aiming like this quite precise because Steam's mouse --> gyro implementation is great.

Is there a way to hook something up that mimics a lightgun in feel? I don't like the idea of tilting and rolling a controller in my hand. Playing House of the Dead while rocking a controller back and forth isn't super engrossing...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to hook something up that mimics a lightgun in feel? I don't like the idea of tilting and rolling a controller in my hand. Playing House of the Dead while rocking a controller back and forth isn't super engrossing...

That part might be difficult but I understand what you're after :/ I mean you can try running a Wiimote with Dolphin but I'm not sure the results would differ much, Dolphin aims to emulate the Wii as close as possible and the IR-hardware would stay the same too as you still use a Wiimote afterall.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Tracking on Dolphin is gonna be no better than on real hardware imo. The only things that really makes a difference are the quality of the Bluetooth connection (interference?), the quality of the sensor bar, and IR interference from other sources

When everything is ideal, tracking is great on real hardware. Sin & Punishment 2 was so much fun.

yodaxy

Nov 14, 2017
I wish there was a decent way to play Metroid Prime 1-2 with a controller AND in 16:9.
Do you know Primehack ? You play The Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii with a with Keyboard / Mouse, and you move like a real FPS. It's so much fun to play like that, I finished it several weeks ago and it was great. Absolutely zero stutter with the correct settings. If you want you can even add textures packs and higher resolution and it's easily one of the best gaming experience ever.

EDIT : just noticed it was already in the first post of the page.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know Primehack ? You play The Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii with a with Keyboard / Mouse, and you move like a real FPS. It's so much fun to play like that, I finished it several weeks ago and it was great. Absolutely zero stutter with the correct settings. If you want you can even add textures packs and higher resolution and it's easily one of the best gaming experience ever.

Yeah, in fact I played Prime 1 with KB+M setup a few years ago, it was great.

It's just that I'm receiving an X1 controller this week to replace my old 360 one and would play that on my 4K TV instead of my 1440p monitor.

But yeah, worst case I may just end up playing KB+M if it's too complicated. :P

yodaxy

Nov 14, 2017
Oh yeah ok.

Worst case scenario maybe Primehack can also play GC versions of Metroid Prime 1 & 2 without the stutter ? I think it's based on Ishiruuka build (I know there is a "compile shaders on start" option at least).

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Tracking on Dolphin is gonna be no better than on real hardware imo. The only things that really makes a difference are the quality of the Bluetooth connection (interference?), the quality of the sensor bar, and IR interference from other sources

When everything is ideal, tracking is great on real hardware. Sin & Punishment 2 was so much fun.

Maybe I need to re-jig my setup. I'm on a small 24" TV, sitting like 3-5' away, with the sensor both above/below. To shoot the middle of the TV, I need to point basically directly at the bar, and that isn't right feeling.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm running the GC version of Metroid Prime v1.0 using the widescreen back and the HD texture mod at 3x native. Does anyone know what bottleneck causes loading stutter at every opening door? That's the issue I'm trying to resolve.

Problem is it happens even without the texture mod and on any native resolution. Is it strictly my SSD speed or is there some setting I should play with to solve it?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm running the GC version of Metroid Prime v1.0 using the widescreen back and the HD texture mod at 3x native. Does anyone know what bottleneck causes loading stutter at every opening door? That's the issue I'm trying to resolve.

Problem is it happens even without the texture mod and on any native resolution. Is it strictly my SSD speed or is there some setting I should play with to solve it?

What is your Ubershader setting set to?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in front of my PC at the moment, but I know I'm running asynchronous with the pre-compile option on. However, I can't recall which graphics frontend I'm using. I'm going to guess Vulkan, but it might be OpenGL.

Ah hmm then I have no clue, it really shouldn't lag with Ubershaders on ansync as far as I know o.o Where is your .iso and your Documents folder located, on a HDD or SSD?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

Ah hmm then I have no clue, it really shouldn't lag with Ubershaders on ansync as far as I know o.o Where is your .iso and your Documents folder located, on a HDD or SSD?

For what it's worth, I've had those stutters with MP as well with ubershaders async on. ISO located on HDD, Documents folder on SSD

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I've had those stutters with MP as well with ubershaders async on. ISO located on HDD, Documents folder on SSD

Hmm make sure everything is on a SSD if possible and move the Dolphin data-folder away from the Documents folder to somewhere else. If I recall correctly earlier in this thread someone was having stutters too because in a recent update Windows 10 introduced some kind of permission system to the user folder and Dolphin doesn't have the proper permissions anymore to access that which lead to the stutters on writing the shader-cache. Search a few pages back it should be somewhere.