• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tourists tend to suck everywhere so there's kind of no point calling out anyone for being tourists. Its a given.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Americans tend to be really nice actually. If someone started lecturing me when I'm on holiday or not I'd tell them to piss off and mind their own business.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't travel too often but I have been traveling more so I want to ask this straight up: What makes an American tourist good? I try my best to be polite, mind my manners and shit.

Same as any tourist. Be polite, be respectful of differences in cultures. There's really not much to it. Just be the example you'd like others to be I guess and you'll not have any encounters that will leave you questioning if you offended anyone .

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Eh, helping a woman out of a Tinder date with a Trump guy isn't the worst thing someone can do,but it's not something a bystander is able to manage easily. Best option is usually the check-in phone call that gives her an excuse to leave like "oh no that's my roommate and she's just said the dog is sick all over the floor", and obviously that's not something a stranger is capable of doing.

Still fuck that guy. I hate him already. Probably went to Japan to get himself A Woman whom he will impress with his mastery of Reason and Logic

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've always heard that "food service" in the US is extreme compared to other countries. I darn near couldn't drink my water or finish a beer this past weekend at a new place my wife and I visited. The waiting staff was incredible. They wouldn't always interrupt to pour a drink, or get in the way in any way, but they'd step outside to check on our group of 6 at least every 5 minutes across the 1 hour± we were there.

I'm use to that service level at any above average restaurant, so impatient/annoying people may ask/complain if drinks are going dry and they're use to constant service. I'd ask for a drink if it had been a long time, but I would just not come back vs complaining in most cases.

Now if they were yelling/berating/attacking a server, that's another thing entirely.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.
List of topics, American dude was trying to impress German girl with:

- his stance on Obama's healthcare policies
- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy
- that our healthcare is the greatest in the world and others wish they were us
- that Americans have moral authority to tell others what to do.

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

also? Hiroshima... you are an amazing town.

This did not happen

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
thread premised on shitting on americans, what a novel idea at this place. not sure why these low effort threads like this aren't closed.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
What do I do if some American comes up to me out of blue whilst I'm on holiday and starts to tear in to me?

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

You are the asshole in this story

Oct 28, 2017
You are the asshole in this story
pastelfluffyfirecrest8cj8m.gif

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Even if OP was out of line the idea that the dude in his anecdote is anything but trash is impossible for me to fathom.

This is a weird thread.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

Policy guy

But how did she respond?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've been here in japan for almost two weeks, and the habits of these きたない外人 americans really makes me きもちわるい. I relate much more to the japanese (great food, beautiful country!) than those from my own country of origin. I've even started learning the language (probably only about at a fourth or fifth grade level, but give me a few more weeks 😅 )

I tried to mind my manners, but I simply couldn't help but interrupt and be しつれい myself. Though in retrospect, that was merely my own shameful heritage coming to the fore. As the japanese would say, わたくしのかおのたまご

Sayonara、eraたち

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Surprisingly, Americans I meet abroad are all pretty sweet....but may be I don't approach douchebags. Aside from them I find Germans to be great travel companions. Brits and Aussies are obnoxious.

Most young or old Americans I meet during travels are pretty chill.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Oh wow you interrupted his tinder date? I don't think he is the shitty person in this situation....he might've been trying to impress a date but let's face it, we all do that....

You sound very jealous...

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also chime in with "I travel a lot and work in the tourism industry and generally love Americans" that many other people have basically said.

Friendly, generally polite, tip well.

Our rule of thumb when dealing with American clients is "Don't talk about religion, politics, or guns, and everything will be fun and friendly."

Oct 27, 2017
What do I do if some American comes up to me out of blue whilst I'm on holiday and starts to tear in to me?

Whip out an American flag. We're required to stop whatever we are doing, place a hand over our heart, and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Use this time to move away from them.
edit: damn it, joke already given.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
What's the issue with Brits abroad? I can understand groups of lads/stag parties/soccer fans getting a bad rep, but is there something regulat Brits do that's looked down on?

Nov 17, 2017
Eh, helping a woman out of a Tinder date with a Trump guy isn't the worst thing someone can do,but it's not something a bystander is able to manage easily. Best option is usually the check-in phone call that gives her an excuse to leave like "oh no that's my roommate and she's just said the dog is sick all over the floor", and obviously that's not something a stranger is capable of doing.

Still fuck that guy. I hate him already. Probably went to Japan to get himself A Woman whom he will impress with his mastery of Reason and Logic
Even if OP was out of line the idea that the dude in his anecdote is anything but trash is impossible for me to fathom.

This is a weird thread.
For sure, the guy that OP describes sounds trashy but it's also trashy as a bystander to butt in on their date with my opinions.

I would just think to myself "what a piece of work" and mind my own business because I figure a grown woman has been on enough shitty dates that she can get out of one on her own if she wants to. It would be presumptuous to think she needs me to swoop in and save her.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
my Dad used to work at a hotel, he said the best tippers were Americans and Gays.
He said the worst were Europeans and Asians. Germans don't tip.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
For sure, the guy that OP describes sounds trashy but it's also trashy as a bystander to butt in on their date with my opinions.

I would just think to myself "what a piece of work" and mind my own business because I figure a grown woman has been on enough shitty dates that she can get out of one on her own if she wants to. It would be presumptuous to think she needs me to swoop in and save her.

Yeah that's fair. I would probably do the same or if I was going to be there a while, do the time-honored tradition of the tinder douchebag livetweet series.

"Now he's telling her he came here to be part of the cartoon culture. He used ot like America's but he thinks it peaked a decade ago with My Little Pony and now it's all 'Calarts Trash'. Followers, I assure you that I CANNOT."

Nov 1, 2017

This is a weird thread.
Imagine being so pretentious you try to ruin a complete stranger's relationship because you were eavesdropping and found him to have opposing political views.The most concerning part of all this is I really can't tell if OP is trolling or not.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Same as any tourist. Be polite, be respectful of differences in cultures. There's really not much to it. Just be the example you'd like others to be I guess and you'll not have any encounters that will leave you questioning if you offended anyone .

Ok, that's pretty much what I was taught growing up so I have that covered.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should call out any shitty tourists, regardless of their background.

This has to be in the top 10 thread backfires of 2019

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
When I was stationed in Germany the American tourist were seen as the coolest tourist. Most of my German friends that worked as wait staff and bartenders would complain about mainland Chinese and Brits.

You'd get the occasional asshole American but the majority I bumped into where chill and respectful.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was mocked and ridiculed by locals sitting at the table sitting next to me for ordering a soda with my meal when I was in London. Can locals call out other locals for being shitty? Thanks.

Jul 19, 2018
As a Brit it's a shame, if unsurprising, to hear about the reputation abroad. Obviously LAD culture types are fucking awful and I wouldn't wish them on anyone. Not as bad, but still an embarrassment, are those who go somewhere and get upset if that place isn't exactly like their home town, and only eat full English breakfasts and McDonald's, getting stroppy with anyone that doesn't speak perfect English. I would suggest that overall that still constitutes a minority, most people can manage to be respectful of local cultures and customs and just generally not act like assholes. I hope so, anyway.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The loud thing is true though. You don't realize how much louder Americans are until you travel

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reputation you may feel you need to fight against when you first move to an Asian country (not wanting to be seen as a drunkard or a Loser Back Home) but after some years it goes away and you just roll your eyes at the sentiment. By all means assimilate into the culture/etiquette, but don't begrudge people for being culturally out of place. That's shitty.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I always treat service workers and others with respect. But if you ever came at me like this I'd tell you to fuck off.

Like what if their service was actually shitty and you didn't have the full context?

Oct 28, 2017
In Japan, easy to spot the Americans - especially the American travelers.

At plenty of bars during my 2 weeks here and have Run into a few shitty Americans. Was more than happy to call them out for being shitty Americans - one who complained about service, which was far more than adequate, and another who was obviously on a Tinder date, but was exhibiting the worst of us.

yo, call your fellow country men out when they are shitty - they deserve no quarter and do everyone after them a disservice. Wherever they travel.

what about just shitty people? They exist in all cultures and places. This is borderline ethnocentric.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

That and OP has zero idea about that woman's motivations and desires. There are an infinite number of reasons that woman might not care about his opinions on Trump ranging from just wanting to get laid to she agrees with everything he's saying. It's nobody's business to decide if they're having a bad Tinder date or not.

Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

Policy guy

Wait, you broke in on a conversation?

That's like the most obnoxiously American thing to do