• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Jesus Christ. We really gonna just call out American tourists for no fucking reason, with no justification or statistical evidence of American tourists being particularly worse than those from other countries?
The hate boner is strong here

Oct 26, 2017
Americans just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to have American tourists, nor will they ever visit America. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but America has alienated an entire market with this person.

America, publicly apologize and cancel your tourists or you can kiss your country goodbye.
America is DONE

Deleted member 55795

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 9, 2019
How about No. It's best we leave people to their own business and not get involved with some else when they're on Holiday. You don't know who the fuck you might be interrupting without any context.

Especially as a black man i ain't trying get caught up in some shit when im overseas

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
In Japan, easy to spot the Americans - especially the American travelers.

At plenty of bars during my 2 weeks here and have Run into a few shitty Americans. Was more than happy to call them out for being shitty Americans - one who complained about service, which was far more than adequate, and another who was obviously on a Tinder date, but was exhibiting the worst of us.

yo, call your fellow country men out when they are shitty - they deserve no quarter and do everyone after them a disservice. Wherever they travel.
I lived in Japan for a few years, and definitely called out some shitty Americans during my time there... but more for saying offensive stuff.

Nov 17, 2017
That and OP has zero idea about that woman's motivations and desires. There are an infinite number of reasons that woman might not care about his opinions on Trump ranging from just wanting to get laid to she agrees with everything he's saying. It's nobody's business to decide if they're having a bad Tinder date or not.
Yeah, exactly. OP just projected his own thoughts onto her assuming that she didn't actually want to be on that date.

They did the same thing with the other person by deciding that their service was adequate but who knows what they were complaining about and to what extent? If I feel like my service wasn't enough, that's between me and the staff, not some random bystander who thinks he's some sort of social hero.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

LMAO!!!!!

How did the OP even fit in the door with this galaxy brain fedora!?!?!?!?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.
List of topics, American dude was trying to impress German girl with:

- his stance on Obama's healthcare policies
- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy
- that our healthcare is the greatest in the world and others wish they were us
- that Americans have moral authority to tell others what to do.

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

what in tarnation

this is some of the busybodiest shit ive ever heard

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I wouldn't call out a "fellow" American abroad because that would blow my disguise as a Canadian.

A Canadian who weirdly has a southern accent. ;)

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly. OP just projected his own thoughts onto her assuming that she didn't actually want to be on that date.

They did the same thing with the other person by deciding that their service was adequate but who knows what they were complaining about and to what extent? If I feel like my service wasn't enough, that's between me and the staff, not some random bystander who thinks he's some sort of social hero.

Exactly and let's take it a step further: these are obviously bars where they're used to seeing tourists of all types. They're more than equipped to decide how to handle awful customers without anyone's intervention - including trying to salvage the situation in hopes of making more sales.

Worst case scenario, OP pisses off a customer and they spend less in that place of business thereby fucking the business itself over.

Shouldn't the bar (who interacts with tourists far more often than the OP) decide when they've had enough?

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

also? Hiroshima... you are an amazing town.
Man you nasty. Thats just being a a snobby prick and being impolite.
Also a great way to start an altercation.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
You should have minded your own business.
Another stereotype of Americans abroad is that they make casual conversation with people in public.. you should've been more self-aware.
also.. Hiroshima? Is this city a normal tourist spot?

Nov 17, 2017
I want to know what happened after the German woman went home with OP since she must have been so impressed with him swooping in to show her the best example of an American.

Exactly and let's take it a step further: these are obviously bars where they're used to seeing tourists of all types. They're more than equipped to decide how to handle awful customers without anyone's intervention - including trying to salvage the situation in hopes of making more sales.

Worst case scenario, OP pisses off a customer and they spend less in that place of business thereby fucking the business itself over.

Shouldn't the bar (who interacts with tourists far more often than the OP) decide when they've had enough?
Only shitty Americans abroad can stop shitty Americans abroad. OP is the hero no one needs or deserves.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

Policy guy

People are raging at you, but you're a god damn hero.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The Americans I've met have nearly all been really nice. Actually too polite and accommodating if anything. I've hung out with some for the day/night and often realise at some point they've agreed with every logistical thing I've suggested, this doesn't change if I essentially apologise for dominating things and try to get them to make the next choice.

I've wondered how far I could take things if it happens again, suggest the most boring or crazy things possible and see what happens.

Dec 12, 2017
British, French, German and Russian tourists are way worse than Americans
but the king of worst tourist right now are Chinese.

American here.

Yeah, i had a horrible encounter with shitty German tourists acting like fucking idiots when i was in Paris once.

And Chinese tourists in Thailand/Cambodia were...
let's just say, they weren't respectful of personal space.

So YMMV

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I make it a point to call out tourists of all types. Good, bad, polite, rude; I don't care. You a tourist? You're gettin' called out buddy. No one comes to where I happen to be at without gettin' called out.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Generalisations are stupid. There is shitty people from all nationalities. And fantastic ones as well.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

Policy guy

I don't believe you actually did this.

Oct 27, 2017
OP how many fights do you get in? Because I lived abroad enough to know not to start shit, especially in a country like japan where they don't care who starts a fight to deport you and all it takes pissing off the wrong person for trying to tell them what to do to start one

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I was in Japan a month ago and saw a Chinese tourist fill her water bottle from a purification fountain at a temple.

Americans are fine from what I understand. It's the Chinese who are rudest tourists. My family & friends in Tokyo complain about them all the time. Or maybe they're just being polite to this rude, uncultured American.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have all the people complaining at OP actually heard Americans abroad?

Motherfuckers, we can hear your conversation 10 miles away.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I once saw an American tourist asking a little Italian boy whether he spoke English, then reiterating loudly that he should learn English in school. He used a few Spanish words as a surefire way make sure that the boy understood him. Something like 'you should habla English'