• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
k I'll just say it, it's not a good look for BuzzFeed that no one else has reported on this.

It's been hours. I'd relax a bit.

And the response from the Cohen camp basically confirms it anyway. Not commenting because of consideration for Mueller's investigation means there's something there. If it was fake a denial wouldn't interfere with anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Other outlets are about to do their own investigations. It's going to take longer than 12 hours. Especially when the news dropped at night. Most places are just now probably getting their journalists on this. We'll most likely hear more by the end of the day.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed has been killing these past few years. They broke the $50 million penthouse offer to Putin story back in November. Anthony Cormier is rock solid.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
If hypothetically Trump was voted to be impeached by the House, could the Senate block a vote on that?

According to Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC, a self admitted "Senate Nerd", any member of the Senate can call a Vote to the floor by saying exactly what the Speaker of the Senate would say.
He said it's not a rule that only McConnell can call a vote, it's a tradition to avoid chaos on the floor that only the Senate Majority Leader calls the vote.

So if that is true.... Democrats and other Republicans needs to stand up and demand votes be taken.

If this is indeed true, AOC (and the new class of TwitterDems) need to start calling the entire Senate out for not forcing a vote and bypassing McConnell to end this shutdown and reject the wall.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Buzzfeed News has been nominated for 7 Pulitzers in the past few years (it might be more than seven).

Not sure where this hand-wringing is coming from.

Well, after this story broke last night, right-wing Reddit fell pretty much silent for a while and a couple posters here assumed the hivemind was trying to figure out how to spin this thing. Today, I think we have our answer. If you don't like the story, attack the source.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Both things are true. The Dems did well in 2018 and would have done much better if we could magically remove racism from the equation. As an example many minorities have thrived in spite of the daily racism levied against us. That doesn't mean I'm going to just gloss over it.

I don't doubt that. Still doesn't excuse the racist fucks who didn't want Gillum to "monkey this up".
Sorry, not Miami-Dade, Broward County.

Oct 25, 2017
Other outlets are about to do their own investigations. It's going to take longer than 12 hours. Especially when the news dropped at night. Most places are just now probably getting their journalists on this. We'll most likely hear more by the end of the day.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Well, after this story broke last night, right-wing Reddit fell pretty much silent for a while and a couple posters here assumed the hivemind was trying to figure out how to spin this thing. Today, I think we have our answer. If you don't like the story, attack the source.

Yep.

The Buzzfeed name was poison before their news arm turned things around. I'm shocked they call themselves "Buzzfeed News" even now.

True, but that was quite some time ago. At this point, not knowing the legitimacy of their news side comes across as an unwillingness to research their record, not happenstance because you took fifteen of their personality quizzes on Facebook five years ago.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The Buzzfeed name was poison before their news arm turned things around. I'm shocked they call themselves "Buzzfeed News" even now.
There's so many other clickbait sites out there now that I haven't noticed Buzzfeed for a while in that context. For the last couple of years, when I read Buzzfeed that first thing that pops into my head is their Steele Dossier release.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What I'm contending is that the other outlets have had this already and had reasons not to publish, not that BuzzFeed actually had the scoop over the outlets that broke Watergate, Pentagon Papers, etc.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Buzzfeed News has been nominated for 7 Pulitzers in the past few years (it might be more than seven).

Close, 8.

The number of people who don't know the difference between BuzzFeed and BuzzFeed News is astonishing.

One shares polls telling you which kind of donut are you & the other's had 8 Pulitzer Prize nominations in the past 2 years.

They've been one of the most legitimate news guys out there pertaining to this entire sphere.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait until I'm old and retired and the results of the Mueller investigation come out so I can read all about it before I croak.

Jun 7, 2018
I think the Republicans can and might well turn on Trump with lightning speed, once there's enough cover for them to say "he lied to all of us".

Remember even though they circle the wagons against Democrats every time, there are a great, great many inside the GOP who fucking hate Trump's guts. They have since the primary and what he's done to their party. They just hate Democrats more.

But when he hits critical mass liability-wise I think they might throw him to the wolves much faster than you'd suppose.

These people are assholes to everyone, including each other. Hell all you need is a chapter or 3 out of the Woodward book to know that much.
Sounds like a good time, where do I sign up? I mean that puts my mind oddly at ease at least when it comes to getting rid of him. But I'm refurring to the people. I bet they will burn cities down in the wake of any sort of impeachment, in celebration and protest.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
What I'm contending is that the other outlets have had this already and had reasons not to publish, not that BuzzFeed actually had the scoop over the outlets that broke Watergate, Pentagon Papers, etc.

Your contention is based on what? They've broken multiple stories related to this investigation, and the author of the article is a long-time FOIA hound. This is what he does, arguably better than anyone else alive.

https://medium.com/matter/the-secret-to-getting-top-secret-secrets-1f693eaf609a

Leopold's FOIA successes have allowed him to make a living as a freelancer, writing news stories for Al-Jazeera America, Vice News, and other publications. He also publishes stories at Beacon Reader, a crowdfunding website that lets freelancers sell subscriptions to their work; there he offers "Lessons in FOIA Terrorism," plus a "FOIA Terrorist" T-shirt, for ninety dollars a year. One reason Leopold has been able to build a following is that he's a master of the law at a time when a lot of people want to learn it. Unlike many of his disciples, though, he has embraced FOIA for deeply idiosyncratic reasons. He isn't just using it to dig up documents. He's using it, in part, to atone for past sins. He's using it to transform himself.

Read his story. It's one that shows he was burned and how his career was in pieces, but this man is not to be messed with. He's just that good now.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

People are very selective here. Publications like AP and the NYT have all kinds of awards but as soon as they publish something unfavorable, they're deemed as trash.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Trump is probably working overtime with Kavanaugh and other conservative Supreme Court judges to come up with an interesting interpretation of the law that says "Presidents that commit crimes are above the law." Then Senate will move to make that an official, law, but add in the condition, "But only for Republican Presidents."

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. But like I said, Cohen's lawyer hasn't denied it. Trump officials aren't even outright denying it. It matches what we've heard before.

If the shoe fits, impeach.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
That's very reductive of the sometimes very specific criticisms of specific stories run by those news organizations.

This I agree with. The NYT's political profile pieces have really favored the "Trump supporter in a land of Democratic bias" angle for quite some time. It's gotten old.

And I really enjoy their reporting. Essential stuff.

"People are very selective here. Publications like AP and the NYT have all kinds of awards but as soon as they publish something unfavorable, they're deemed as trash."

They can be, yeah. Lots of over-generalization, but there's room for critique too.

Last edited:

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017
If it's true, he's cooked. What I don't get is why these officers would leak this to Buzz Feed instead of the New York Times, Post, or CNN. It's interesting that Gidley didn't flat out deny it and tried to skirt around it. If the story has any legs, I'm sure these organizations will be able to corroborate the report in a few days.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
k I'll just say it, it's not a good look for BuzzFeed that no one else has reported on this.

Exclusive reports tend to have a hard time getting others to report the same news. Otherwise you're just telling your audience "stop what you're doing and go read this other publication."

The nature of the report is also difficult to confirm because this was done with two unnamed law enforcement sources who spoke on the record about the investigation, along with several others who spoke off the record to Buzzfeed's reporters.

The only thing slightly concerning in a "let's be fair" way is that one of the reporters, Jason Leopold, has gotten in trouble in the past for bad reporting. He's made up sources in the past and at one time falsely reported Karl Rove had been indicted. He also has now claimed on MSNBC that he physically saw evidence pertaining to the story while his partner, Anthony Cormier, claimed on CNN he himself hadn't personally seen evidence. Cormier from what I've been able to find has been much more reputable than Leopold, so I'd think that he would reign in some more speculative parts of this report, though it's certainly concerning their stories aren't matching up here.

What's interesting though is that White House spokespeople and Giuliani have been very careful about how they're denying these allegations. They're not outright rebuking the claims that Trump asked Cohen to lie and are dancing around categorically denying this as a complete fabrication. Trump and Giuliani meanwhile are misrepresenting the story by claiming that the only source here was actually Michael Cohen who was feeding Buzzfeed the story, which has now led to another vague threat from Trump about Cohen's father-in-law. Something certainly federal prosecutors will look into as another example of witness tampering.

So even when Trump tries to defend himself, he ends up possibly committing more crimes.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
People are very selective here. Publications like AP and the NYT have all kinds of awards but as soon as they publish something unfavorable, they're deemed as trash.
You seem to be confusing investigative reporting clout with opinion pieces and tweet phrasing but I can't tell if you're doing it intentionally in bad faith or you're just confused.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The 2018 midterms had record breaking turnout. Educate yourself before running your mouth.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/19/18103110/2018-midterm-elections-turnout

I am saying you system is broken, and the Dems taking back the house is a hollow victory considering the opposition and pathetic turnout numbers. Sure they were record breaking for midtermsin the US, but as a canadian, what the fuck is wrong with people not even bothering to get out and vote the GOP out when they are fucking over the entire planet?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am saying you system is broken, and the Dems taking back the house is a hollow victory considering the opposition and pathetic turnout numbers. Sure they were record breaking for midtermsin the US, but as a canadian, what the fuck is wrong with people not even bothering to get out and vote the GOP out when they are fucking over the entire planet?
Nothing wrong with the people, the system is designed that way.

Oct 25, 2017
This is totally not true.
You don't think we could go to GAF thread for the NYT story of "Investigating Trump, no clear ties to Russia" story or the Resetera thread for NYT Rosenstein wanting to remove Trump story and find plenty of targeted criticism on misrepresenting an ongoing investigation before an election for the sake of """fair and balanced""" or a flagrant use of on background reporting and hearsay to establish a narrative?
this was done with two unnamed law enforcement sources who spoke on the record
Well if they're unnamed, than it's on background, not on the record. Which makes it harder for other outlets to corroborate.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nothing wrong with the people, the system is designed that way.

Oh well, I guess the people tried their best! /s

I hope to see major reforms in the US electoral system within my lifetime, although I dout it will happen. Gerrymandering will get worse, election fuckery like in Florida will get worse, and people will just shrug and celebrate abysmal turnout numbers.

The US is so fucked long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.