• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
k I'll just say it, it's not a good look for BuzzFeed that no one else has reported on this.

If you look in other threads with major breaking news from well-established publications, there is always a chorus of "wait for other sources." But here with Buzzfeed, the general position is that....Buzzfeed is enough.

I hope Buzzfeed's piece is corroborated as well, but I find this blind faith in Buzzfeed is a little puzzling, honestly.

You seem to be confusing investigative reporting clout with opinion pieces and tweet phrasing but I can't tell if you're doing it intentionally in bad faith or you're just confused.

Do you really think I'm talking about an opinion piece? Are you serious?

Oct 25, 2017

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He was so good on Chuck. I was disappointed when I learned he's a stupid dick in real life. I wonder if any of his co-stars have ever said anything about this? His Twitter is just embarrassing.

I don't think they've commented on it but it's telling that basically the entire cast and crew from Firefly and Chuck stopped following him on Twitter a long time ago.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
If you look in other threads with major breaking news from well-established publications, there is always a chorus of "wait for other sources." But here with Buzzfeed, the general position is that....Buzzfeed is enough.

I hope Buzzfeed's piece is corroborated as well, but I find this blind faith in Buzzfeed is a little puzzling, honestly.

Other than the now-debunked NYT headline "Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia," what investigative reporting by AP/NYT are you referring to where this community responded by calling their reporting trash...?

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Oliver Darcy thinks he's back at The Blaze.

tbh I mostly remember that with McClatchy's Prague reports, which had very vague 2nd hand+ sourcing. I think folks tend to trust WaPo/NYT bombshells. Buzzfeed's track record is pretty solid.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I guess the people tried their best! /s

I hope to see major reforms in the US electoral system within my lifetime, although I dout it will happen. Gerrymandering will get worse, election fuckery like in Florida will get worse, and people will just shrug and celebrate abysmal turnout numbers.

The US is so fucked long term.
There were great turnout numbers this past year, that's how it starts.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The two reporters from Buzzfeed have made the rounds, and this morning on NPR they were guaranteeing the host 100% that they have more than just he/she said, it's not just the words of Cohen (they have actual sources), and even allege physical evidence (possibly email/ paper) and even more than the 2 mentionned sources but were not ready to go with these yet.
It's much more than clickbaity titles ... It would potentially be career ending if not criminal to make these allegations, specially when they know the Dems in Congress will obviously look into it.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
People are very selective here. Publications like AP and the NYT have all kinds of awards but as soon as they publish something unfavorable, they're deemed as trash.

I think this site (Era) has the same problem with those sources, failing to differentiate between the editorial side and the investigative journalist side. These aren't the same people publishing the articles. Most mainstream news has downright bad punditry, but punditry sells.

There is also the dubious practice of sourcing "insider scoops" directly from the likes of Giuliani or Kushner or Trump himself, which is obviously high level access that any reporter would covet, but has the pitfall of this admin being very, very loose with truth.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Trump supporters are not very far away from having to admit, "Evil is good, and I never wanted to be a good person, or go to heaven, because if God says good is good, he's wrong. Evil is good. I'd beat up Jesus right now if he said evil is bad, because he's wrong too, we all know evil is good."

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am saying you system is broken, and the Dems taking back the house is a hollow victory considering the opposition and pathetic turnout numbers. Sure they were record breaking for midtermsin the US, but as a canadian, what the fuck is wrong with people not even bothering to get out and vote the GOP out when they are fucking over the entire planet?
There are many reasons that not everyone gets out to vote in the U.S. Not to mention the difference in scale. How many people are in Canada? Just under 40 mil? Just Texas has about 30 mil. There are so many other variables at play in a place as massive as the U.S. Not saying that more couldn't get out and vote and that there isn't apathy towards the entire process. But it's not fair to just say "what's wrong with people".

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
You don't think we could go to GAF thread for the NYT story of "Investigating Trump, no clear ties to Russia" story or the Resetera thread for NYT Rosenstein wanting to remove Trump story and find plenty of targeted criticism on misrepresenting an ongoing investigation before an election for the sake of """fair and balanced""" or a flagrant use of on background reporting and hearsay to establish a narrative?

Well if they're unnamed, than it's on background, not on the record. Which makes it harder for other outlets to corroborate.

The criticism of the NYT crosses multiple threads and spans more than one reporter, regardless of the story. The bigger the publication, the more things they're gonna get wrong probably.

But my point was using awards to measure the credibility of the publication. Buzzfeed apparently hasn't even won a Pulitzer yet, but the fact that they were even nominated is apparently enough. It's just this defensiveness of Buzzfeed, of all places, that I'm a little taken aback about.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

The child separations issue has pissed me off more than anything else this piece of shit administration has done, and I'm proud that my senator has been fighting it from day one and hasn't stopped.

The fact that they considered deporting children without their parents is some of the most vile, evil shit I've read in a long time. I'll fucking never forgive republicans for this.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
But my point was using awards to measure the credibility of the publication. Buzzfeed apparently hasn't even won a Pulitzer yet, but the fact that they were even nominated is apparently enough. It's just this defensiveness of Buzzfeed, of all places, that I'm a little taken aback about.
You say "Buzzfeed, of all places" like they haven't been doing great investigative reporting for years.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't understand. Are you saying you can overlook one of the authors checkered past because this needs to be true ?

I think you can easily talk about the author and then corroborate if the story is true independently which no news org has done yet . If they do find corroboration then you can shift focus. Right now it's one outlet uncorroborated. This is a high exposure story, you want to be REALLY sure you hedge your bets that it's definitely true

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. Are you saying you can overlook one of the authors checkered past because this needs to be true ?

I think you can easily talk about the author and then corroborate if the story is true independently which no news org has done yet . If they do find corroboration then you can shift focus. Right now it's one outlet uncorroborated. This is a high exposure story, you want to be REALLY sure you hedge your bets that it's definitely true
One of the authors was a fuckup in the Bush era but appears to have turned around - all the problematic shit happened over a decade ago and since then he's won numerous awards for his work. The other author hasn't done anything but win a Pulitzer in 2016 for investigative reporting.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
One of the authors was a fuckup in the Bush era but appears to have turned around - all the problematic shit happened over a decade ago and since then he's won numerous awards for his work. The other author hasn't done anything but win a Pulitzer in 2016 for investigative reporting.

This is THE story which ends the presidency of the President of the United States for Trump and has one news outlet only. You bet your ass people want to be absolutely sure it's true . You get this point right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.