• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. Are you saying you can overlook one of the authors checkered past because this needs to be true ?

I think you can easily talk about the author and then corroborate if the story is true independently which no news org has done yet . If they do find corroboration then you can shift focus. Right now it's one outlet uncorroborated. This is a high exposure story, you want to be REALLY sure you hedge your bets that it's definitely true

d305dfd5-edb3-4a24-a853-3eefec910b84_text.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This is THE story which ends the presidency of the President of the United States for Trump and has one news outlet only. You bet your ass people want to be absolutely sure it's true . You get this point right ?
I think it's fair to be very cautious around this story because of it's massive implications, but Darcy's shot was 100% bullshit

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
"Let's wait for others to corroborate before jumping to conclusions" is stepping right into the fucking GOP talking points.

Huge story breaks
"Let's wait for corroboration!"
Days pass, people forget about the story
Then when the story is brought up again, those who were asking for corroboration claim the story isn't corroborated, and therefore isn't "true"

Like fucking clockwork.

Jan 10, 2018
This is THE story which ends the presidency of the President of the United States for Trump and has one news outlet only. You bet your ass people want to be absolutely sure it's true . You get this point right ?

You are double lying or not getting it. The report says the FBI has evidence that the President conspired to obstruct justice. That report could bring the President down. Could.

Not the report about the report.

Attacking an journalist is not finding out if a story is true.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Buzzfeed released the Trump dossier, which has been like 90% corroborated at this point.

....and yet that dossier is still used by right-wing talking heads as a reason Buzzfeed isn't reliable.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

Congress immediately signaled an investigation into the matter. Every other media outlet is working to corroborate as we type. But most importantly- either Mueller has this evidence and it will be in his report, or he doesn't. We're 100% going to find out whether it's true. We're just not going to find out today.

But I'll say again- I don't quite get the hand-wringing over the fact that BuzzFeed got a scoop, here. I'd be much more concerned if details of evidence this important were leaking out of the special counsel's office all willy-nilly.

Jan 10, 2018
Reminder that Buzzfeed released the Trump dossier, which has been like 90% corroborated at this point.

....and yet that dossier is still used by right-wing talking heads as a reason Buzzfeed isn't reliable.

Haberman and Co directly attacked the Steele Dossier when the word got out, attacked the rumors Trump has business ties to Russia and attacked Clinton for having a personal vendetta against Putin because she implied Trump is a Russian puppet.

Checkered pasts.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Trump supporters are not very far away from having to admit, "Evil is good, and I never wanted to be a good person, or go to heaven, because if God says good is good, he's wrong. Evil is good. I'd beat up Jesus right now if he said evil is bad, because he's wrong too, we all know evil is good."

hitler-jung-shadow-jungcurrents-1.jpg

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would be willing to bet most people here weren't alive or conscious of anything going on around them 20+ years ago.

I was a shameful Conservative back then. :(

I was alive, but I certainly wasn't following politics at the time. I believe I was playing Chrono Cross.

It was the Drudge Report that broke the story? Damn, never knew that.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

That reminds me of the mainstream media blasting them for printing the report too. Buzzfeed has gotten totally vindicated for that decision since then, haven't they. Headlines from that time include:

Washington Post: How BuzzFeed crossed the line in publishing salacious 'dossier' on Trump

Atlantic: The Trouble With Publishing the Trump Dossier

Guardian: BuzzFeed publishes unsubstantiated Trump report, raising ethics questions

Vox: Was BuzzFeed wrong to publish the Trump dossier? This media ethicist says yes.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, okay. I put faith in it being true, personally. It was nice of Trump to tweet that Cohen is a liar and the morning after the story broke.

Hell, we know that Buzzfeed talked with the white house for comment on the story before they even published it, and even said they would "give the (white house) ample space to do so (go on the record to absolutely deny it) but they would not do that on the record and then the story was published shortly thereafter. And then all the non-denials from all sides involved today...So much smoke our lungs are drowning.

That reminds me of the mainstream media blasting them for printing the report too. Buzzfeed has gotten totally vindicated for that decision since then, haven't they. Headlines from that time include:

Washington Post: How BuzzFeed crossed the line in publishing salacious 'dossier' on Trump

Atlantic: The Trouble With Publishing the Trump Dossier

Guardian: BuzzFeed publishes unsubstantiated Trump report, raising ethics questions

Vox: Was BuzzFeed wrong to publish the Trump dossier? This media ethicist says yes.

Never forget:

NYTIMES:
nytruss1.png

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How. Much. More.

Why does the goalpost keep moving for Trump? It was good enough to impeach someone just about 45 years ago, why isn't it good enough now?

Patience.... Pelosi is doing the right thing by holding the line.

Yes, Clinton was impeached. But he wasn't removed from office.

In the following midterm and presidential election, the Republican party was crushed. Pelosi has stated before that she isn't going to move forward with impeachment proceedings unless she believes she has enough support from the Congressional GOP to actually remove him from office.

Oct 25, 2017
How. Much. More.

Why does the goalpost keep moving for Trump? It was good enough to impeach someone just about 45 years ago, why isn't it good enough now?

Really I should have just left it at if this get corroborated Dems should move ahead with impeachment. Because quite frankly this is it. It seem House dems are opening up a probe.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope this can be corroborated and actually proven, because it will be nearly impossible to fight off impeachment proceedings.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
In the following midterm and presidential election, the Republican party was crushed. Pelosi has stated before that she isn't going to move forward with impeachment proceedings unless she believes she has enough support from the Congressional GOP to actually remove him from office.

I agree this is probably the best way to go. What's the point of moving for impeachment if McConnel and the Senate simply say, "No." It's an empty gesture. Right now the Republicans are convinced they can say the President is above the law, or just accuse the Democrats of lying about the President breaking the law. They need to get into a situation where they actually feel threatened enough to change their tune, and right now they don't.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree this is probably the best way to go. What's the point of moving for impeachment if McConnel and the Senate simply say, "No." It's an empty gesture. Right now the Republicans are convinced they can say the President is above the law, or just accuse the Democrats of lying about the President breaking the law. They need to get into a situation where they actually feel threatened enough to change their tune, and right now they don't.

The point is to demonstrate to the country that the Republicans in office are complicit in those crimes by their failure to act on them.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the reaction when the Drudge Report broke the Monica story? This kinda reminds me of that.
I also remember when Drudge broke the story that Paula Jones had testified that Bill Clinton had an American flag tattooed on the shaft of his penis with a bald eagle tattooed on the head. That's some hard-hitting journalism right there. But lol Buzzfeed, amirite folks?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
He just need to be impeached. But of course the Republicans cowards will never do it itherwise they would be lynched by their base. So better leave a traitor in the White House...

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Back in the '90s, I read a book titled "Hitler's Willing Executioners" that had generated some minor controversy by pushing back against the narrative of a populace cowed and subdued by the Nazis. Contrary to the image of Germans living in fear of violent repercussions if they didn't go along with the Nazi's actions, the book painted a picture of a populace willing to go along to get along at the best, and willingly joining the Nazis in their cavalcade of horrors at worst.

The book stirred a lot of debate at the time, and after living through this era of US history, I think that book had a lot of merit in retrospect. Once this is all over, just about everyone will want to focus all of the blame and guilt on Trump and his cabal, but the truth is that he's been able to attain and maintain power because a significant portion of the populace, as well as those in key positions of power and influence, wanted him there.

Once he's gone, we'll still be living in a country where a considerable amount of people and institutions actively support the disintegration of the republic, the installation of an autocrat, the repudiation of morals and norms to punish unpopular groups, and aiding enemies of the country to effect those outcomes.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How. Much. More.

Timing is critical. You don't want them to impeach too early while Republicans feel like can get away with letting him off the hook. You need enough evidence to not only prove he committed a felony, but also sway public opinion away from him to make him toxic enough that the senate will vote against him. R's know removing him from office is going to really damage the party, so you have to make them believe that voting for impeachment and removal is helping themselves.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The book stirred a lot of debate at the time, and after living through this era of US history, I think that book had a lot of merit in retrospect. Once this is all over, just about everyone will want to focus all of the blame and guilt on Trump and his cabal, but the truth is that he's been able to attain and maintain power because a significant portion of the populace, as well as those in key positions of power and influence, wanted him there.

One of the more fascinating things about this whole fiasco in the USA is how the populace is going to act afterwards, especially in light of the prevalence of social media.

Like, if it becomes clear Trump is a criminal, and the evidence is so undeniable that everyone has to admit it, you know that Democrats and the general Democrat public in America will be crowing about this on social media, and saying, rightfully, "I TOLD YOU SO!" and all this is going to be preserved for the history books.

But what about the Trump supporters?

How many of them, realizing that they've got all that stuff that paints their attitude on social media, will consciously go back and start deleting their comments on Facebook, Twitter or even forums like this, so they can say, "Oh, I never trusted that guy, and I sure didn't vote for him! I'm a good, smart guy, like you guys!"

And how many will actually double down, and keep that stuff online for future historians to record, analyze, and pick apart?

Like if Facebook and Twitter had existed during Nazi, Germany, I really wonder how many people would scrub their accounts once the news of the concentration camps came out. We may see something similar here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah yeah

We can reasonable assume that Trump is absolutely guilty of crimes that likely stack as high as trump tower

And its almost like we are powerless as a country to hold him accountable until he is voted out of office

Impeachment wont make it through the Senate unless we see some form of mass defection which.... disappointingly hasnt happened. Republicans need to be completely ousted at all levels of government for this madness to end

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Not landslides. It still would have been close. Those two places lean more Republican than Democrat. Sonic they were both white I bet they may have won in close victories.

To be fair, they also had a D +9 environment, which more than makes up for anything you can do via voter suppression.

That said - this seems like a straight line to impeachment proceedings / investigation starting on the 8th of Feb. Cohen testifies, the Dems ask him about this, if he says this is true, that's 100% grounds for Dems to push for impeachment hearings / beginning on that Friday.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
One of the more fascinating things about this whole fiasco in the USA is how the populace is going to act afterwards, especially in light of the prevalence of social media.

Like, if it becomes clear Trump is a criminal, and the evidence is so undeniable that everyone has to admit it, you know that Democrats and the general Democrat public in America will be crowing about this on social media, and saying, rightfully, "I TOLD YOU SO!" and all this is going to be preserved for the history books.

But what about the Trump supporters?

How many of them, realizing that they've got all that stuff that paints their attitude on social media, will consciously go back and start deleting their comments on Facebook, Twitter or even forums like this, so they can say, "Oh, I never trusted that guy, and I sure didn't vote for him! I'm a good, smart guy, like you guys!"

And how many will actually double down, and keep that stuff online for future historians to record, analyze, and pick apart?

Like if Facebook and Twitter had existed during Nazi, Germany, I really wonder how many people would scrub their accounts once the news of the concentration camps came out. We may see something similar here.

About 99% of Trump Supporters are probably gonna be doubling down.

The whole thing is basically one big culture war. It doesn't matter what Trump does even if literally everybody talks about how illegal it is.

For Trump Supporters, they'll try and get the narrative shifted from "Make America Great Again" to "Stop All Democrats".

Though I doubt it'll be that kind of wording because SAD probably isn't an abbreviation they'd want to wear as a label :P.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Back in the '90s, I read a book titled "Hitler's Willing Executioners" that had generated some minor controversy by pushing back against the narrative of a populace cowed and subdued by the Nazis. Contrary to the image of Germans living in fear of violent repercussions if they didn't go along with the Nazi's actions, the book painted a picture of a populace willing to go along to get along at the best, and willingly joining the Nazis in their cavalcade of horrors at worst.

Once he's gone, we'll still be living in a country where a considerable amount of people and institutions actively support the disintegration of the republic, the installation of an autocrat, the repudiation of morals and norms to punish unpopular groups, and aiding enemies of the country to effect those outcomes.

Not even a question in this case. People weren't "duped." They saw a guy being an arrogant, racist, sexist piece of shit and clapped when he insulted people's looks and made childish nicknames for his opponents and that's exactly the kind of shit the right-wing loves because most of them are childish, ignorant, racist, sexist, mouth-breathing trash whose miserable lives are only made better by the thought that they're pissing other people off.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's this story not the #1 Trending Topic worldwide? Trump is going to wiggle himself out of this one as well huh?

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because modern day Republicans are not Republicans from 45 years ago.

This.

Morals, integrity, ethics... while a lot of shitty things were swept under the rug - those 3 things seem to have been removed from politics. Maybe it's rose-tinted glasses, though.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
How. Much. More.

This isn't proven yet. It is a leak from an unfinished investigation.

The smart thing to do is wait until there is undeniable proof. This will likely be when the investigation is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.