• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I saw someone on my facebook promoting a comedian friend's one man show in which he plays a "hilarious spitting image of Donald Trump". I have seen Baldwin's SNL routines portraying Trump. There was an advert for cable TV in the UK that had an animated Trump giving it the "This cable TV network is the best, believe me, trust me, it's the best" routine.

Is it just me that does NOT find Trump to be a figure of fun? He is a monster. Am I supposed to be like "lolololol he separated thousands of young children permanently from their parents and left them confused and alone in cages lololol". I just don't find this shit funny any more. There's nothing amusing about him AT ALL. He certainly isn't an amusing caricature to sell cable TV with.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what they want you to think. Belittlement.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
nup_175387_1204.jpg

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, he doesn't care that you laugh at him.
He's in power, and he can say whatever he wants.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you can hate and make a joke out of him

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It would be exhausting to dwell with a constant, humorless rage over all his bullshit

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
There's an aspect of acceptance and normalization in parodies that really rubs me the wrong way.
When some of the horrible things he says or does get boiled down to a punchline it detracts from some of his horrible actions and things he said and makes it digestible and funny instead of gut wrenching and revolting.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Throughout human history, artists of all types have been using their craft to speak out about tyranny. An artist might draw him as a monster, a musician makes a song about him, a comedian makes fun of him.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually had to dial back late night talk shows because I can't even stand joking about this fuck anymore. People are suffering and I'm out of chuckles.

Oct 25, 2017
Fact: Doing "The Trump voice" isn't funny anymore and stopped being funny like a month after he won.
Make fun of him in another way, preferably without infering that he is gay, thanks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
There's an aspect of acceptance and normalization in parodies that really rubs me the wrong way.
When some of the horrible things he says or does get boiled down to a punchline it detracts from some of his horrible actions and things he said and makes it digestible and funny instead of gut wrenching and revolting.
I think you nailed part of my problem. It's the normalization. If a political point is being made and a piece is satirical, i get why a work exists... But if it's just an amusing voice to get laughs or sell a product, then that's not right at all.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It was funny the first couple months but then Trump himself became a parody of himself.

But yeah, the trump impressions were all over the place, on every comedy show, every late night host show, skit shows etc. It got old super fast.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
They don't tell about all the terrible stuff in foreign media. He is definitely portrayed as a complete idiot.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Yep i totally feel you on this. People say making fun of him is what he hates, and i'm sure that's true, but at the same time a lot of the fanfare clearly benefits him.

Though he hates mockery, he never really asks to be taken seriously either. He, or at least his marketing, clearly plays into the idea that hes "fun", an entertainer, shameless liberator of taboos and some all-american dreamer and party lover wherever it might benefit him. Remember when he bought that stupid mcdonalds feast? I think a lot of his voters saw Trump as this rebellious choice that made a statement against traditional politics, putting a big theatrical "personality" in the seat of power instead.

But we can't just "oh, you!" away all this violation of human rights. Clowns are funny at a circus, they're not as funny in an operating theatre.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think you nailed part of my problem. It's the normalization. If a political point is being made and a piece is satirical, i get why a work exists... But if it's just an amusing voice to get laughs or sell a product, then that's not right at all.

IMO Trump was normalized long before people started doing stand-up about him.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I saw someone on my facebook promoting a comedian friend's one man show in which he plays a "hilarious spitting image of Donald Trump". I have seen Baldwin's SNL routines portraying Trump. There was an advert for cable TV in the UK that had an animated Trump giving it the "This cable TV network is the best, believe me, trust me, it's the best" routine.

Is it just me that does NOT find Trump to be a figure of fun? He is a monster. Am I supposed to be like "lolololol he separated thousands of young children permanently from their parents and left them confused and alone in cages lololol". I just don't find this shit funny any more. There's nothing amusing about him AT ALL. He certainly isn't an amusing caricature to sell cable TV with.

All presidents are parodied. Bush was the "lovable idiot" and he started an illegal war that changed the landscape of the region for quite some time.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things not only get desensitized with repeated banter and jokes but also it also puts it on the fast track to becoming passe with immediate normalization by ppl that otherwise hate him.

That's why I've never enjoyed the weak and feeble late night talk show jokes about him. Even though they were at his expense, the are usually the first low hanging fruit that is purposefully light enough for "All politics are bad" Steve not to change the channel.

Fascism isn't a genre of comedy. Unless it's packaged in measured doses. But then it's just poison.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. There was this comedy central cartoon show that they put the pilot out for that was a depiction of trump in the white house. It was actually pretty funny because it ripped on him and his family really hard (especially his sons).

But the problem was that it humanized trump too much. It showed him as a complete buffoon, but it didnt really leave the impact of how awful he is. I am pretty sure this is why they didnt make it a full series.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It does seem like the media is complicit when they portray people like Trump and Boris like this. The media knows how to demonise people, it can do it just fine when its people they don't like, like the left, say they are consorting with terrorists, and communist etc and call them the devil.

But it seems like Trump get's away with it for some reason. He's stupid so he gets away with consorting with Russia, he's stupid so somehow he gets away with tearing children away from their families. He's stupid so he gets away with destroying the environment. You can be stupid and nasty and malevolent and a cunt. He's stupid so lets just laugh at him and all the evil shit he's done. And who's even the stupid one in this case, the one at the top laughing at everyone below him, or everyone below happily laughing and suffering under him.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that hurts his feelings is cool with me but yeah, mocking his speech is stale especially when Trump manages to speak worse than any parody of him can.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
At a base level, the only reason he has power is because people broadcast his bullshit. For people like this, even satire is a vehicle of sorts. I wish there was a way society could put him on mute and just get rid of him in the next election (which making sure he doesn't destroy everything while he is there).

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I hate it too OP. It comes across to me like they're making light of the atrocities he commits - they're normalising his behaviour instead of drawing attention to how horrific it really is.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to that point with W. for sure. I couldn't even watch the Daily Show make fun of him because I was so angry.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, what I hate most isn't people making fun of him (laughing at someone robs them of the fear and admiration they want), it's that he's permanently damaged the English language as a whole.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think there are strong paralels between this situation and movies like The Great Dictator.

This is particularly enlighting about the value of humor as a weapon:

During the film's production, the British government had announced that it would prohibit its exhibition in the United Kingdom, in keeping with its appeasement policy concerning Nazi Germany.[33] But by the time the film was released, the UK was at war with Germany and the film was welcomed in part for its obvious propaganda value.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Things not only get desensitized with repeated banter and jokes but also it also puts it on the fast track to becoming passe with immediate normalization by ppl that otherwise hate him.
Yup. Using comedy to point out the lies and crimes only lets him further ignore the accountability. It's all part of the "fake news" from his viewpoint.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Oh yes he does. It's actually the only real thing that gets under his thin skin. He can't stand anyone making fun of him.
I think he just ignores it. Or he is protected from it by his yes men and doesn't even see it. Trump and Republicans just ignore what they don't like, or just hand wave it off as nonsense or fake news. People are not getting under his skin as much as they hope.

Trump is a unique problem because he was a celebrity target of mockery and ridicule for decades before he became a fascist political figure. Comedians have kept Trump jokes in their back pockets for a rainy day since the 80s.

Thus it is difficult to untangle regarding Trump as one big joke from seriously dangerous things Trump is doing. Even many people who hate Trump seem unable to really feel the gravitas in what Trump is doing as president.

I kind of think if Trump hadn't been such a joke already, satire of his political activities might have come across as more biting and eye-raising.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he just ignores it. Or he is protected from it by his yes men and doesn't even see it. Trump and Republicans just ignore what they don't like, or just hand wave it off as nonsense or fake news. People are not getting under his skin as much as they hope.
Have ever read a trump tweet?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Dude was routinely tweeting about SNL for their weak ass jabs, even when it was a re-run.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Comedy is a coping mechanism for dealing with all the shit in the world. If you don't like it, then go look at China, where they banned Winnie the Pooh because people were making jokes comparing him to their President.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a form of appeasement. I don't like it, either.
It's not appeasement. It's just another art form with there take on the current political climate. Happens im music, film, painting and all other art forms. Comedy has been used in America for this same purpose since the 1800s with cartoons in newspapers. And dating back to the Roman Empire.