• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Donald Trump is weighing in on the debate surrounding The Hunt movie.

The President slammed the film on Twitter on Friday after reports circulated over right-wing furor over the upcoming film — a Hunger Games-style satire where wealthy "elites" hunt rural "deplorables" for sport and wager.

The movie, starring Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank, follows 12 strangers from conservative states who wake up in a clearing and discover they're being hunted by rich liberals.

Tweeted Trump: "Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves 'Elite,' but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite. The movie coming out is made in order…..to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!"

If anything, judging by the trailer, the Blumhouse film seems to be attempting to illustrate the widening economic divide between the haves and have-nots and villainizing the 1 percent — with its red-state characters as the movie's victims and heroes.

As reported by THR, there's some on-the-nose dialogue in the film itself making its political allegory even more clear:

"Did anyone see what our ratf—-er-in-chief just did?" one character in the film asks, in an apparent reference to Trump.

"At least the hunt's coming up. Nothing better than going out to the manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables," another replies, referring to Hillary Clinton's term for some of Trump's supporters.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is he even mad? The liberal elite are the villains and his MAGA stand ins are the victims / heroes. If anything I'm surprised that crowd isn't eating it up.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
His tweet reads like he got over the head before typing it - it's kind of incoherent even for him. My only takeaway is that it's hilarious he thinks it's people in Hollywood who call themselves elite, and not AM radio, Fox News, et al.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Marketing is off to a good start...

I have no interest in the movie and honestly think its just stupid but this sort of attention will only help it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Why is he even mad? The liberal elite are the villains and his MAGA stand ins are the victims / heroes. If anything I'm surprised that crowd isn't eating it up.

You think this pile of feces has the sufficient attention span to watch an entire movie or comprehend basic plot points?

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

Some MAGA-types seem to be completely missing that nuance. They see Hollywood making a movie about liberals killing deplorables and think it's a straight take because in their minds, Hollywood is always biased towards liberals.

Yet another reason that the movie's promise is a bad idea.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand how such a movie could get made at this moment in time. Seems spectacularly ill-judged.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
When your marketing department is so good, they get the President of the United States to advertise your movie for you.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
People just tripping over themselves to do this film's marketing for it. You've even got the president weighing in.

Brands and companies have way too strong of a grip on public consciousness.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, so liberals will hate it because it's fucking dumb and they're the villains.

Conservatives will hate it because they can't manage more than a surface level of understanding of anything in life.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
all I can say is thank god Confederate is canceled

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm convinced this movie was purely made to enable that Tweet, FOX's report, and the right-wing response

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making a movie about any political group sadistically hunting people with guns is in pretty questionable taste in a country where a mass shooting occurs almost every day.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be glorious if the movie makes a complete switch at the end, with the audience going, "Y'know what, those people do deserve to be hunted and killed".

Like that Black Mirror episode.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'm surprised he didn't accuse the movie of posing with that baby from El Paso while smiling and giving a thumbs up since this is his usual obligatory Twitter shitfit where he projects all those accusations against him onto something random and unrelated from the left.
EDIT: Honestly I dont even know if the movie is supposed to be left but he thinks so. Everything is so confusing nowadays.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Would be glorious if the movie makes a complete switch at the end, with the audience going, "Y'know what, those people do deserve to be hunted and killed".

Like that Black Mirror episode.
Most of the people involved in the movie are liberal so i expect it will have some sort of twist on the premise. It's why people should probably reserve judgement on it until they actually see it

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Mediocre president
Mediocre movie
and that "SLAMS" word again. Thanks Entertainment Weekly.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The movie cast and creators makes me think that movie is probably a lot more complex than what the premise make it sounds

The marketing on the movie is definitely trying to get outrage marketing

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that tweet it seems like he is trying to create or incite the next Charles Manson. Just completely devoid of any reality.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I knew this would be a dumb time to release something like that.

But do these bums think "the liberal elite" is an actual group and that group calls themselves "the liberal elite"??????

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
That's rich coming from the "Hollywood" and "Showbiz" president that's had his own tv show and has appeared in several movies.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
remember his so called 'presidential' speech last week condemning

today: "Theyre the real Racists"

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump and friends are going to look really stupid (well, more stupid than they already do) when this movie comes out and it turns out to have nothing to do with Trump and they're just using similar language as a marketing hook/satire.