• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube recommended this video to me, for some reason. I thought it was neat enough as a proof of concept of how a DKC2 remake could look like, done in the vein of the Crash trilogy. Some peeps were discussing the idea in the DF Retro thread about DKC, so I thought it might be interesting to some.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that looks really good. Love how he managed to translate the art style really well unlike so many of these types of videos that pop up on youtube. Awesome job.

Edit: oh yeah and Stickerbush Symphony rules but I guess that goes without saying.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The music sounds somewhat like if Donkey Kong was in Ragnarok Online lol.

Nice work on the level, though!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need bring back the Kremlin's. Why doesn't Nintendo use them anymore? AKAIK they own the rights, do they not like using non Nintendo created enemies?

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For once a fanmade HD remake that looks fantastic. Seriously, it's perfect.

CloakBass

Dec 10, 2017
Okay that looked WAY better than I expected a fanmade HD remake to look. Legit sad this isn't an actual project now.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What surprises me is how pinpoint the physics look in this. Like, this looks like a game you can actually play, and not just a visual demo (then again I assume they modeled this over actual game play).

Tingled my nostalgia bones just a little bit, and these things don't usually do that.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Alright now do mining levels and theme park levels.

Also yeah i dont like the remix, seems like nobody is able to just capture the same exact sound David Wise used.

Brawl had a terrible stickerbrush symphony as well so not even nintendo is capable of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yuck. This clean, HD look (with an awful remix of an iconic song to boot) completely negates the atmosphere of the level.

I adore the art and visuals in all of the original DKC games, but the graphical style works exceptionally well with 2 in particular because of how beautifully it compliments the moodiness of Crocodile Isle.

Oct 25, 2017
Also yeah i dont like the remix, seems like nobody is able to just capture the same exact sound David Wise used.

Brawl had a terrible stickerbrush symphony as well so not even nintendo is capable of it.
Terrible? I love the Brawl remix! It wouldn't fit well as a replacement for the original in a theoretical DKC 2 remake, but for what they were going for (an energetic tribute to one of the most celebrated gaming tracks ever), I think it works great.

It's the acoustic guitar bits that make it stand out for me. Some of the synth work sounds decidedly too cheap for my liking, but maaan that rhythm strumming and melodic picking gets me good.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
The visuals are too clean, and that's an awful Stickerbush Symphony remix, but cool to see anyway.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Wow, they need to remake the original 3 games like this. While the newest DKC games were good, I still don't think they're anywhere near the original 3. I would love a return to that style.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
This is really impressive. I personally like the original style just fine but this is a nice rendition anyway. I would love to see what DKC series would look like with traditional 2d sprites but that will never happen I assume.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bugged? I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening...

edit: yes, it looks great. But like others have mentioned, it also looks a little too "clean", for lack of a better word. Also, I don't like this cover of Stickerbush Symphony. There shouldn't be any guitar in there; the track needs to remain calm and subdued.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I like the look of this.
I'd love a remake to have a sort of photorealistic artstyle, similar to the LEGO Movie or the covers of the Pikmin games.
So like, looking like actual clay models in a realistic environment.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never knew I wanted all three DKC games remade using Tropical Freeze's engine until now. Nintendo, please.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
The sound effects are love <3, oh the nostalgia.

But yeah it looks pretty bad imo, too clean.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's fanmade but it looks a bit generic and bleh. Better than most fanmade Nintendo things but still not particularly good.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fyi, the reason it looks "off" or "too clean" is not due to the graphics, I think what you guys are referring to is the lack of lighting because outside of that it looks fine.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yuck. This clean, HD look (with an awful remix of an iconic song to boot) completely negates the atmosphere of the level.

I adore the art and visuals in all of the original DKC games, but the graphical style works exceptionally well with 2 in particular because of how beautifully it compliments the moodiness of Crocodile Isle.
While I wouldn'T say "yuck," I do find it lacking a lot of the detail and charm on top of the movement of objects and characters feeling very sluggish. It's still an impressive result for a fanmade project and the actual level design is accurately replicated, it just lost a lot of the "feel" in the process. I honestly wouldn't want to play this, were it a real thing.

Highly graphical games.
You forgot the rimshot

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Before anything, this is for practical purposes

maxresdefault.jpg

capturadetelade2017-1ims6l.png

Side note: I want to catch the "genius" that decided to infect games with Chromatic Aberration and beat him with a stick. ¬_¬

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Wtf are these answers?

This is perfection. I never knew i wanted a full game like this so much. Damn.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are being strangely harsh. This looks quite good for being what it is, it looks pretty professional.

Before anything, this is for practical purposes

maxresdefault.jpg

capturadetelade2017-1ims6l.png

Side note: I want to catch the "genius" that decided to infect games with Chromatic Aberration and beat him with a stick. ¬_¬

I don't really see much chromatic aberration in the video to be honest. Is the depth of field effect that's bothering you?

Last edited:

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Might need more vibrancy and contrast, but that looked pretty good. I guess a DK Mania could work.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Is it bugged? I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening...

edit: yes, it looks great. But like others have mentioned, it also looks a little too "clean", for lack of a better word. Also, I don't like this cover of Stickerbush Symphony. There shouldn't be any guitar in there; the track needs to remain calm and subdued.
Are you referring to the brawl remix? Because there is no guitar in the video and it is pretty calm