• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I've been borrowing a copy of DKCR from a friend of mine for some time now and I've been doing a sort of "co-op" playthrough of the game with my younger brother. We're currently in world 5. Since we don't have a Wii, we've been playing it on our Wii U. As a huge DKC fan, I felt like I owed it to myself to try out the new games made by Retro.

I can definitely understand when people say this is a great game because it really is impressively well made. The presentation and art style is well done. The level design is very creative. The soundtrack may not live up to other games in the series, but I really like the various nostalgic remixes of DKC1 tracks and even the new tracks aren't bad. The Tikis are a bit lame compared to the Kremlings, but oh well. Whatever. I'll take them. I can at least respect Retro for trying to come up with their own thing. The graphics are a bit dated now, but I imagine they were impressive for the Wii when the game came out. The game is a competent platformer for sure. I'm not sure if it's better than the old ones as many people like to claim, but it definitely stands on its own as a good game.

Now the controls, on the other hand, are......not great. I'm not sure what the consensus on the controls is exactly, but I've definitely seen certain criticism thrown at some aspects of the controls, so I feel like I can't be the only one to have problems with this. You can't exactly play the game with the Wii U gamepad, so you have to use a Wiimote. Maybe the problem is that we're using a Rock Candy Wiimote? It's the only one we have.........We also don't have one of those Classic Pro controllers or whatever, so we're sort of limited by our options.

Maybe it's our fault for not having other options, but I'm not sure if we're using the wrong controller, or if we just suck. Because our experience with the controls hasn't been going well. Using a Wiimote is just very stiff and awkward for a DKC game. I've seen people complain about little things like shaking to roll or blow, but those aren't even that big of a deal. It's just the overall feel that's bothering us and certain levels are a bit hard to play due to these controls. Maybe we just totally suck with Wiimotes, I dunno.

What's the consensus on the controls? Are we doing something wrong? Should we try to find a better controller? Do the Rock Candy Wiimotes make a big difference? What do you guys use to normally play? Sorry if we're just being extremely stupid or something, but I'm just not sure if it's the game or if it's us. It's an otherwise very enjoyable and well made game. I just wish the game didn't control so weirdly.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Really wish that Tropical Freeze on Switch was bundled with HD Returns.

60fps and regular controls, maybe even include the 3DS bonus levels.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yup the controls suck on Wii.

Dolphin emulator is another option - you can just map the motion control stuff to standard buttons.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Waggle bullshit aside, I hated how you couldn't hold down jump to get a bigger boost off of enemies. Tapping jump as you land on them is so counter-intuitive and I just couldn't stand it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Now I want to play the game on the 3DS again! hehe
But yes, the Wii version's controls are the major issue I have with the game. I prefer the 3DS port due to traditional controls, and because of the optional items that can make the game easier if desired. (I just used them on the rocket barrel stuff so one hit didn't mean automatic death).

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a unnoficial patch that let you play the game with the controller pro or whatever.

But yeah, the controlls did annoyed me. The dpad is so small, and ending the levels felt underhelmng since i could only hit the barrel once. However, only really annoyed me during world 1, by world 2 i was fine with it.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons why it needed to be included with Tropical Freeze Switch, but we can't have nice things.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
A bit off topic but: Are you going in order of the games? Basically, have you played Tropical Freeze?
You say people claim Returns is better than the OGs but I feel like I only ever hear that about Tropical Freeze (I agree that TF is better than Returns at the very least). And you don't need to have motion-rolling in that one.
More on topic: I agree, the game is awesome but the motion controls are a bummer.

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
A bit off topic but: Are you going in order of the games? Basically, have you played Tropical Freeze?
You say people claim Returns is better than the OGs but I feel like I only ever hear that about Tropical Freeze (I agree that TF is better than Returns at the very least). And you don't need to have motion-rolling in that one.
More on topic: I agree, the game is awesome but the motion controls are a bummer.

No, I haven't played TF yet, but I hope I can at some point after beating Returns! I do have a Wii U at the moment and enough money to buy a Switch if I want.

I always hear many people say both of the Retro games are better than the Rare trilogy. Even when TF didn't exist, I remember many claiming Returns was better. When it comes to the soundtrack though, Returns is perceived as being the weakest along with DKC3 in that regard. Perhaps even weaker than DKC3.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
No, I haven't played TF yet, but I hope I can at some point after beating Returns! I do have a Wii U at the moment and enough money to buy a Switch if I want.

I always hear many people say both of the Retro games are better than the Rare trilogy. Even when TF didn't exist, I remember many claiming Returns was better. When it comes to the soundtrack though, Returns is perceived as being the weakest along with DKC3 in that regard. Perhaps even weaker than DKC3.

Oh ok, didn't know that! If you get the chance to play Tropical Freeze definitely do, it's my personal favourite. Returns for sure has my least favourite soundtrack (still has some great tracks as you said) but Tropical Freeze has my favourite out of all of them (any game, really).

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Do itttt don't care if you play on the Wii U or Switch the differences are negligible. And the game is legendary, might even be the best platformer I've ever played.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
So shaking the controller to pound, and holding down with a shake to blow are the only two motion controls are they not?
Are there others?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Shake to roll is the most stupid thing ever. Otherwise a good game, if you can get over that. Or use homebrew to get rid of it.

Oct 29, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the motion controls; they offer a tactile feel that is lost when using buttons. Even DKCTF's button controls feel wrong compared to the intended (Wiimote & Chuck) control scheme.

Make sure you are playing with the Wiimote & Nunchuck though, that was the intended control scheme that this game (and Tropical Freeze) was designed around. The sideways Wiimote control scheme is a bit of an uncomfortable compromise.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish that Tropical Freeze on Switch was bundled with HD Returns.

60fps and regular controls, maybe even include the 3DS bonus levels.

Came here to post this!

I beat Tropical Freeze but for some unspecified reason didn't get far into Returns. Maybe I had other distractions in life, but maybe that waggle was part of it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I hated how the controls worked on 3DS. Having to constantly tap the run button to run was not a good idea and if they were going to change the controls they should have made it more than just an alternative to shaking the remote. Should have been like the rest of the games instead.

NightHawk

Dec 6, 2018
I really enjoyed shaking to ground pound in Returns. Really made it feel more visceral. Could have assigned roll to a button though.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Waggle bullshit aside, I hated how you couldn't hold down jump to get a bigger boost off of enemies. Tapping jump as you land on them is so counter-intuitive and I just couldn't stand it.

Is this true? That's a bizarre design decision. I know with DKC:TF, you just have to hold the jump button after the apex of your jump and you'll be fine, don't have to tap as you land.

This. The game is more responsive and enjoyable on 3DS. And Wii remotes always had rather high input lag anyways, even on 60fps games, so you actually don't gain that much input lag (if not at all) at 30fps on 3DS.

OP, your mileage may vary. I gave up on the 3DS version midway through because the 30fps was bothering me, to play the Wii version for the first time. I found it a lot more fluid and responsive.