• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you're tempted to replay the WiiU game you already own, but you want to wait until the Switch port for maximum freshness

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, the BIG flaw with this game that nobody talks about is how horribly Retro butchered Cranky Kong's character. He smiles and fistbumps and wears a cozy sweater vest. He may as well be called "Friendly & Kind Grandpa Kong". It's a damn travesty, and I don't know why more people don't talk about it.

But Cranky's characterization and lame bonus rooms are literally the only two complaints I have with Tropical Freeze. Everything else is absolutely masterpiece-tier.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let the ports and remasters engulf us. I remember when ps4 first launched with a few ports and remasters and ppl were up in arms.

On that note it's cool we can play this on the go now but I would have loved a new version.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This is a selects game on the wii u and can be had for less than $30, I think it's something like $20 iirc. Disappointing, I might pick it up for wii u

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, the BIG flaw with this game that nobody talks about is how horribly Retro butchered Cranky Kong's character. He smiles and fistbumps and wears a cozy sweater vest. He may as well be called "Friendly & Kind Grandpa Kong". It's a damn travesty, and I don't know why more people don't talk about it.

But Cranky's characterization and lame bonus rooms are literally the only two complaints I have with Tropical Freeze. Everything else is absolutely masterpiece-tier.
The Cranky who complained in the corner of each page of the original trilogy's instruction manuals will always have a special place in my heart.

But new Cranky is OK. He's super-fun to play, even if he stole all of his ideas from Scrooge McDuck, lol.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see it as a problem really. But yeah, he's definitely not that "cranky" in Tropical Freeze lol. He seems pretty cheerful

Oct 25, 2017
Cranky's gameplay in TF is dope, but if you want to argue his characterization isn't awful you have to accept he's a clone or imposter. Or maybe he has dementia and forgot how bitter he is in life?

We just need some sort of lore explanation to straighten this out. Maybe one of us can tweet at Retro to get the goods.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm very excited about this game since I missed out on it initially on WiiU. About 90% of my time on switch has been handheld play with the exception of Zelda which was 50/50 and I feel like this game would be perfect for that.

Nov 14, 2017
This is a perfect opportunity for Nintendo/Retro to release a soundtrack of Tropical Freeze because I want a physical copy, dammit!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Cranky's gameplay in TF is dope, but if you want to argue his characterization isn't awful you have to accept he's a clone or imposter. Or maybe he has dementia and forgot how bitter he is in life?

We just need some sort of lore explanation to straighten this out. Maybe one of us can tweet at Retro to get the goods.

We need a Cranky Kong Country game!

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

No one fucks with Cranky's home.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the only thing that makes him happy is being personally affronted.

giphy.gif

And with that plothole solved, TF moves up a spot on my all-time greats list

Oct 28, 2017

Cranky Kong berated the player in Returns for buying stuff from his shop along with giving advice. I say Retro didn't completely miss the character.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe he's gone bananas........

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If that's their BIG flaw then I guess the game is perfect then.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I honestly just figured that actually being part of the adventure, rather than sitting at home or running the shop, made Cranky feel young and vibrant enough again that he was more cheerful than usual.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Cranky Kong is the new Master Roshi. Now it's cool for old people to be hip and fight rather than retire.

Samba

Oct 27, 2017
Got this digitally for Wii U - bought into the gaf hype back in the day. Digital regrets! As someone who adores the original trilogy, I find the clunky/heavy physics to be a major turn off. Happy to see ports getting new life on Switch, tho Retro's take on DK isn't for everyone.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Got this digitally for Wii U - bought into the gaf hype back in the day. Digital regrets! As someone who adores the original trilogy, I find the clunky/heavy physics to be a major turn off. Happy to see ports getting new life on Switch, tho Retro's take on DK isn't for everyone.
heavy, yes. clunky, no. The original trilogy is the one with strange delays such as the ending lag after rolling or when picking up barrels and stuff. The returns duology has the best feeling platforming controls of all time imo. Barrelling through stages at mach speed, bouncing off enemies feels so satisfying.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I guess we'll see way more Wii U ports now they've blown a lot of their load and the other big games (Pokemon and Metroid) are likely years away.

majek

Nov 10, 2017
Great. Now nothing stands in my way to buy Switch and 7 games now first... erm second paycheck i get.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping for an orchestral remix of the TF soundtrack as a bonus. Nintendo should make it work somehow.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Let the ports and remasters engulf us. I remember when ps4 first launched with a few ports and remasters and ppl were up in arms.

On that note it's cool we can play this on the go now but I would have loved a new version.

I mean im bummed about the ports because I want new games instead. But on the other hand, it's great for people who never played these games and I understand Nintendo wanting to get money off these games that they never could on the wii u. But yeah, tropical freeze is just a phenomenal game.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I hope that Nintendo does a port/remake of the first donkey kong country returns, would be nice to have that one in HD as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Retro doesn't care about the older personalities of the other characters.
Look at Funky and his shop.
He makes really odd sounds now.

RootPith

Dec 21, 2017
I would double dip without thinking if they packed in DKCR running at 1080p.

The same goes for Rayman Legends on switch, if it had Origins I would have bought it. (also its a shitty port)

All of these games are equally great and I skip buying both for the same reason, kinda funny.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017

It could be that DK Returns and Tropical Freeze is truly a new generation of Donkey Kong. Where the old Cranky is dead, and the old Donkey has taken his place. With Kiddy Kong being the new Donkey.

Deleted member 643

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how difficult is this game in comparison to Cuphead? I don't usually do hard 2D platformers but managed to get through that

Oct 27, 2017
So how difficult is this game in comparison to Cuphead? I don't usually do hard 2D platformers but managed to get through that

From my experience:

Platforming sections = you will probably experience a similar rate of death in both games.
Bosses sections = you die alot more on cuphead bosses, it's not even close.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Retro didn't go there with Cranky's classic personality out of respect to the original developers as it was so great.

This is why Retro have hired writers for their new DK game, to give Cranky some sharp, hilarious dialog that breaks the 4th wall. Maybe the first time you go to his shop he says "Unwelcome to you! Looks like I'm back to not being playable again, but that's fine. I wouldn't want to waste my talents on yet another 2D platformer. Clearly the bums who made the last game didn't get the memo!"

That one's on the house Retro!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Nintendo does a port/remake of the first donkey kong country returns, would be nice to have that one in HD as well.
i still hope that close to release they announce that a port of the wii game is included as well, similar to how they announced they'll include bayonetta with bayonetta 2.
and it'll also include the SNES DKC games as roms

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I expect Switch's Virtual console to support Wii games too* so I do think DKCR will be available on Switch down the road.

* Nvidia Shield , which is based on the same Tegra X1 that power on the Switch, was already shown to run Wii games in the past months:
http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/nvidia-shield-china.jpg