• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Actual thread title:
Funky Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| Donkey's Got a Brand New Funk
*Not actual Joy-Con color, sorry.

Developer: Retro Studios
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: May 3, 2018 (JP) | May 4, 2018 (NA/PAL)
Original Release: February 2014 on Wii U
Genre: The Answer to All of These Questions / David Wise Immersion Therapy
Multiplayer: Yes, 2-player co-op with any controller combo (single Joy-Con included)
Pro Controller Compatible: Yes
Split Joy-Con Mode: Yes
Motion Controls: Yes, optional
amiibo: No
David Wise: Yes
Reversible "Funky Kong" Cover: Yes, NA and PAL and JP confirmed
eShop Download Size: 7157.58 MB
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Reviews: Here

dkctfnewd4uez.png
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Nintendo Switch is essentially the same incredible game that it was on Wii U. The whole adventure with Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky Kong is still there in all its glory with the normal mode, Hard Mode (only one playable Kong), and Time Attack (with online leaderboards and replay sharing) mode. But now you can also play as Funky Kong!

Funky Kong comes with his own mode, simply called Funky Mode. He has five hearts, can hover, land on spikes, and breathe underwater. He also pulls off major feats of strength with just one hand. Wow. You also can get items cheaper and switch them out mid-level.

You can even play Funky Mode in co-op. But be aware, the other Kongs can't hop on his back. He might be the coolest dude, but he's not cool with that.Alternatively, you can play with Donkey Kong in Funky Mode to have your partners hop on your back in co-op. In Funky Mode, DK and the partner character have one extra heart and the item price bonus applies, too. To top it off, you don't have to collect all K-O-N-G letters in one level-playthrough anymore as whatever letters you collected will be remembered on a replay so you can just focus on picking up the one(s) you missed.

On top of that, the game's visual got upgrade to a native 1080p TV resolution while the game runs at a 1152x648 (for more details click here)resolution in handheld mode.

Now stop asking questions and play the GOAT platformer (again).

Beginner tip: Know what a roll-jump is.
It's this (you can jump after rolling, that is literally all there is to it):

tlPxZg7.gif

(gif from DKCR)
This is a basic DKC verb that is so so so crucial to getting the most out of the fun movement available to you throughout the entire series.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Funky seems really fun to play as, just wish I could start with fewer hearts. Don't want to play the game as DK again, maybe once as funky and then I think you can unlock the other Kong for single player?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Played first 2 levels on Funky Mode with DK. First ever playthrough.

Not in the mood for a challenge. Am in the mood to appreciation excellent level design, music and art though.

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest 2D platformer of all time gets a well deserved re-release.

Anyone that hasn't played it is in for an amazing ride.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Funky seems really fun to play as, just wish I could start with fewer hearts. Don't want to play the game as DK again, maybe once as funky and then I think you can unlock the other Kong for single player?
You can play as any Kong in Hard Mode, is what I remember. I think there was a trick where you enter co-op to play as solo-sidekicks but I forgot the exact steps.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Would you all judge me if I played through this in Funky mode? I don't have time for as much gaming these days and wanna enjoy the sights and wonderful sounds!

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
It'll probably be a while before I get around to playing this, but I very much want to.

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
This game was SO fantastic on Wii U, and I'm hoping a lot more people get to enjoy it now that it's on Switch :)

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
I love Donkey Kong Country SNES Trilogy.

I love DKC Returns.

Never played DKC Tropical Freeze cause WiiU.

I don't want to buy it because is a 4 years old game at full price and i hate when companies do this kind of scams, but that soundtrack is killing me...and i've preordered Hyrule Warriors.

PLS SEND HELP

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
grassland groove is possibly the best platformer level ever.

just saying.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Said it before and I'll keep saying it: everybody should play this game. Legitimately one of the greatest 2d platformers ever made.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh men, I cant wait to jump back into this game. GOW and then this, good way to to start the summer for me.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope I can buy this at Argos tomorrow. Otherwise FK them.

EDIT: I suppose technically today since it's Friday.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Whoa I can't believe this is out already. About to go into a couple exams in a few hours and this'll be a nice treat afterwards :D

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
This'll be my first time playing, since I was originally one of "those" people who thought Retro's talent was wasted on a 2D platformer.

Anyway, scummy Nintendo practices aside, I'm really looking forward to Freeze. Only heard good things about it.

Last edited:

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
If grassland groove isn't a stage in the next smash bros I'm going to be disappointed

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh* Donkey Kong's so good I can see myself buying it again. Probably one of the Wii U titles I miss the most, since getting rid of the system.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had never seen a picture of David Wise before entering this thread. Gonna give that interview a listen/watch, thanks for posting OP!

And on topic this is a great game people. Loving it all the more since playing it from yesterday.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
cant wait to go home from work and play tonight....im so pumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love DKC Returns.

I don't want to buy it because is a 4 years old game at full price and i hate when companies do this kind of scams, but that soundtrack is killing me...and i've preordered Hyrule Warriors.

PLS SEND HELP

what are you doing? you need to get this game ASAP!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found the marketing for this game very off-putting. Funky Kong is charming but Donkey himself is the best Nintendo character by a country mile.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

I love DKC Returns.

PLS SEND HELP

This game is worth the $120 I've spent on it

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In some parallel universe there's a Smash Bros game with a DK level atop the Flying Krock as it circles a fully rendered and immaculately detailed Crocodile Isle
The universe where Fire Emblem's Awakening gambit failed and plunged the series into an F-Zero purgatory, thus Sakurai finally had to look elsewhere for new smash characters.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a classic. I can't wait to experience it all again!!

Plus it will also serve as the perfect prelude to Retro's E3 announcement where they will be working on another immaculately made platforming game! (Please god)