• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

greyshark

Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game on Switch, beating every level. I originally played it on Wii U but didn't beat all the secret levels then. Man... this game is so good. I wish it had more of the very difficult levels, and I prefer the moodiness of the original trilogy, but this game just exudes joy and detail at every turn.

I still didn't get all the puzzle pieces, since that would basically just be looking them up online or scouring every level which doesn't sound very essential to me. I would do it for a Platinum trophy, but on Switch I can just let it go.

I did a few stages on Hard mode and it really makes me wish I could have played as Diddy or Dixie the entire game! I also tried some time trials but I think that is beyond the limit of my gaming powers. :P

Time to resume Bayo since I left that midway to play DK:TF.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Level 2-K is going to be the death of me. I'm trying to get 100% on each level but I feel like there is a little tiny lag on the controls and I cant quite get to the end :|

That being said, Funky Kong is the worst Kong imaginable. Your entire country, life, neighbours have been over run and he's trying to sell stuff to DK?

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I want your opinion before pulling the trigger: apparently the game is very challenging. Have you guys been able to complete the game in portable mode? I'm yet to hook up my Switch to a TV, I prefer games that are comfy in handheld mode. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Level 2-K is going to be the death of me. I'm trying to get 100% on each level but I feel like there is a little tiny lag on the controls and I cant quite get to the end :|

That being said, Funky Kong is the worst Kong imaginable. Your entire country, life, neighbours have been over run and he's trying to sell stuff to DK?
bobopolis is life!

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Im very curious about why they Retro was like "You know what this game needs? Water levels".

After how good world 3 was, this is super lame.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Im very curious about why they Retro was like "You know what this game needs? Water levels".

After how good world 3 was, this is super lame.
The seaside world is definitely a big blemish on the game. If you replaced that with another great world, I'd be much more willing to rate TF among the best 2D games ever.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely in the extreme minority in that Island 4 is my favorite lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm playing the game for the first time, i'm at the third boss, and OMG yall weren't lying. the game is fantastic. there are so many 2D games now that try to pass off as platformers with minimal platforming, but this is a such a good example of what i want from the genre.
it's hard tho. these past few years i kept reading it's hard but i was thinking it's gonna be mario plus, turns out it's meat boy lite at times.

edit: finished the 4th island. i hate water levels (like any sane person) but loved the levels, specially the octopus level. the music was fantastic as well.

Last edited:

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished it, that last boss got me from 60 balloons to 12!! I've had it on the back burner for a while as the difficultly of that last world got a little bit trial and error, still an amazing game.

I have no idea how some of you can 100% this game, I literally was scraping by with the minimum in the last two worlds.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished the game. 10/10. i'm so glad this game wasn't stuck on wiiu and i got the chance to play it.
i'm at 68%, i'll come back in a few months and 100% it.

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the K levels and world 7 after doing the rest of the game a few months ago. Was this game much easier than DKCR? I almost never had to buy balloons and I constantly and 999 coins, whereas on the Wii I was always farming for em.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just finished the K levels and world 7 after doing the rest of the game a few months ago. Was this game much easier than DKCR? I almost never had to buy balloons and I constantly and 999 coins, whereas on the Wii I was always farming for em.

It's easier than DKCR for sure. Dixie alone makes nailing jumps way easier than when you only had Diddy.

World 8 in Returns is also a lot tougher than the last world in TF.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier, it also helps that the major balloon eaters of returns (carts and rockets) were less frequent, better designed and allowed an extra hit.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping a thread from august but, i purchased DK:TP this month and i have sound issues with it. I thought originally it was my headset going out, but even with speakers, the baloon popping, DK's grunts and many sound effects are muffled, as if only the soundtrack is 100 while the rest is at 5. In audio options everything is maxed out.

Anyone have this issue?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for bumping a thread from august but, i purchased DK:TP this month and i have sound issues with it. I thought originally it was my headset going out, but even with speakers, the baloon popping, DK's grunts and many sound effects are muffled, as if only the soundtrack is 100 while the rest is at 5. In audio options everything is maxed out.

Anyone have this issue?

Only for this game? Have you tried playing around with the sounds settings in the Switch menu instead of the game menu?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Only for this game? Have you tried playing around with the sounds settings in the Switch menu instead of the game menu?

Well i did not test all the other games, but after seeing this weird audio problem, i booted Celeste and then Hollow knight.
The weird thing is now i'm testing it in handheld mode and the audio is fine, its only in docked mode.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Well i did not test all the other games, but after seeing this weird audio problem, i booted Celeste and then Hollow knight.
The weird thing is now i'm testing it in handheld mode and the audio is fine, its only in docked mode.

I think there's a toggle for surround sound vs stereo in the switch tv audio settings. It is it possible that was flipped in some recent update?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a toggle for surround sound vs stereo in the switch tv audio settings. It is it possible that was flipped in some recent update?

Ah i think you're right, i moved very recently and haven't had the time to setup up the surround system, but i thought the switch from stereo to surround was automatic, i guess it was not in the settings. I'll check later.

Btw, this game is tough, wow. Was i just much better at platforming in my young days during donkey kong country SNES days or the game got a lot more harder than previous ones?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it after owning it for a few months. It's fine, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the classic DKC games or other classic 2D platformers. I would put it above the newer Rayman games, but I got similar vibes from it. Very pretty, but not as enjoyable.

It could be different for the post-game content, but I thought it was odd how none of the levels were really built around the support characters. Actually, it never seemed like there was a reason to choose Diddy or Cranky over Dixie as her ability was universally stronger. I also could've done without those rocket stages at all as they were kind of dull from a gameplay standpoint. (reminded me of Flappy Bird) It would've been fine if it was for a single level, but when I realized there was more than one I groaned. For some reason they're just so much less interesting to me than the minecart levels.

That music though... superb.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It could be different for the post-game content, but I thought it was odd how none of the levels were really built around the support characters. Actually, it never seemed like there was a reason to choose Diddy or Cranky over Dixie as her ability was universally stronger.
Dixie is for easy mode, Cranky is for speed. It's not about "you should/have to use this character in this level" ...that's not what this game is. It's about mastery, improvement, and showing off (time trials).

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I've completed the game and going back to finish unlocking the secret levels. Now, its pretty evident how bad I am at this game, because I cant seem to make simple cart jumps. Ive lost 35 lives trying to get this one puzzle piece, and I just dont see what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Here's the jump I cant get. 99% of the time, I fail to even land on the first bug, but even if I do, the cart either under jumps or over jumps by a mile. What am I doing wrong?

https://youtu.be/-ZPMIk5MSF4?t=69

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've completed the game and going back to finish unlocking the secret levels. Now, its pretty evident how bad I am at this game, because I cant seem to make simple cart jumps. Ive lost 35 lives trying to get this one puzzle piece, and I just dont see what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Here's the jump I cant get. 99% of the time, I fail to even land on the first bug, but even if I do, the cart either under jumps or over jumps by a mile. What am I doing wrong?

https://youtu.be/-ZPMIk5MSF4?t=69
Slight tap for the initial jump onto the first bug but making sure to hit the button again/on impact for the high bounce which will take you up to the next one, another high bounce.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Starting this game for the first time.

Should I play in Funky Mode or Original Mode?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Original mode, Funky Mode is basically a renamed and retooled easy mode.
Note that I do not intend on playing as Funky. If I play Funky Mode, I would play as DK with the extra heart. I had played the first world back on the Wii U, and died a frustrating number of times at the boss. It's why I'm wondering if Funky Mode would allow me to better appreciate the game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Note that I do not intend on playing as Funky. If I play Funky Mode, I would play as DK with the extra heart. I had played the first world back on the Wii U, and died a frustrating number of times at the boss. It's why I'm wondering if Funky Mode would allow me to better appreciate the game.
In that case then, if you feel you'd be better off with more health, funk it up.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In that case then, if you feel you'd be better off with more health, funk it up.
I'm on world 4; loving it so far! Though I have to say I am seriously tired of the bonus levels. They are an uncreative stain on an otherwise flawless piece of art. Do I need to collect all the puzzle pieces to unlock secret levels or a secret ending? Cause if not, I'm just going to skip them. They are really bumming me out.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on world 4; loving it so far! Though I have to say I am seriously tired of the bonus levels. They are an uncreative stain on an otherwise flawless piece of art. Do I need to collect all the puzzle pieces to unlock secret levels or a secret ending? Cause if not, I'm just going to skip them. They are really bumming me out.
KONG letters get you extra stages, puzzle pieces just lead to art.
So you can guilt free skip those bonus rooms, the one noticeable blemish on both of Retro's DKC games

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
Recently bought this to satisfy my NSMBUD cravings.

Loved the game, can say though that I found it super challenging but a pure joy. My only gripe is that the grab controls really are off and I died the most on vine levels. I found the pro controller to slightly alleviate here.

I am not really one for collecting the puzzles or K-Levels. I found the bosses quite hard. I am on the final boss now and think I will put the game down for a while instead of grinding this last one out.

Excited there is a Funky Mode to pick up and a cool co-op game to have in my collection!

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For the KONG letters, do they have to be in one go? Or can I go back to collect the one or two that I'm missing ?

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
What controller are you guys using? Started with the pro controller, but so far neither sticks nor dpad feel perfect. Somebody prefer the joycons? Or should I stick with the stick on the pro controller since the dpad is flawed anyways?

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I found the game good but nothing mindblowing and also its very safe game.. The diffculty is ok soo far I'm at the 5th island and the bosses are hard because the fight is too long and not because they are actually challenging, but I still found them pretty fun, levels on the other hard were kind of bland.

I keep missing 1-2 puzzles almost every stage, but I think I almost got most KONGs though, but still I didn't unlock any secret stage, maybe I have to google that.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I'm thinking of playing this with my girlfriend, but she's absolute rubbish at skill-based platforming, and will likely manage to fall down every pitfall and get struck by every enemy. I'm assuming lives are shared between players, and I'll have to farm a ton of them in advance? Any tips on how to enjoy this together without meeting the Game Over screen frequently? Thank you!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of playing this with my girlfriend, but she's absolute rubbish at skill-based platforming, and will likely manage to fall down every pitfall and get struck by every enemy. I'm assuming lives are shared between players, and I'll have to farm a ton of them in advance? Any tips on how to enjoy this together without meeting the Game Over screen frequently? Thank you!
There is an easy mode you can play.

Doesn't seem like a great game to play together but it is a brilliant game. Its really a perfect blend of controls, graphics, music and difficulty. You feel so good when you master something and clear some of the better levels.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have her play as Funky so that she'll be immune to spikes, have more health, and have infinite air while underwater. Stock up on green balloons (7 coins each) in item shops. Each time you use one before entering a level it will protect you from bottomless pits 3 times before running out. You can also buy lives (3 coins each) in the shop too.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Have her play as Funky so that she'll be immune to spikes, have more health, and have infinite air while underwater. Stock up on green balloons (7 coins each) in item shops. Each time you use one before entering a level it will protect you from bottomless pits 3 times before running out. You can also buy lives (3 coins each) in the shop too.

Wait, Funky is playable outside his own mode? Like, I could play as DK and she can play as Funky in the main mode?

And thanks so much for all the info, you two!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wait, Funky is playable outside his own mode? Like, I could play as DK and she can play as Funky in the main mode?

And thanks so much for all the info, you two!
from the OP:
You can even play Funky Mode in co-op. But be aware, the other Kongs can't hop on his back. He might be the coolest dude, but he's not cool with that. Alternatively, you can play with Donkey Kong in Funky Mode to have your partners hop on your back in co-op. In Funky Mode, DK and the partner character have one extra heart and the item price bonus applies, too.