• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curse adult life, I have 8 more hours until I can play Donkey Kong...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any more impressions of it on the handheld display? :)
I'm playing the game in bed right now and it looks very good. Obvs not as sharp as TV mode, but still buttery smooth (at least up to world 3). I have literally no complaints with the game in handheld mode right now.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If we're talking about great songs that get unfairly cut off then the groove at the start of Irate Eight is done the dirtiest of them all

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I had no intention of buying this game again. But listening to the music and seeing these images... dang I am seriously tempted.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that my dislike of Returns was rooted in the motion controls and level design but... Tropical Freeze is worse. The momentum in this game is atrocious, the difficulty comes from poor and unresponsive controls rather than actually difficult platforming. The bonuses are still garbage, the enemies uninspired and the levels, while thematically varied and interesting just aren't fun with the control equivalent of sprinting through honey.

Returning this game as soon as stores open tomorrow (Australian). What a shame that this is the legacy of the original trilogy. I didn't like Metroid Prime either. Now realising that I just dislike Retro's design philosophy.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I always thought that my dislike of Returns was rooted in the motion controls and level design but... Tropical Freeze is worse. The momentum in this game is atrocious, the difficulty comes from poor and unresponsive controls rather than actually difficult platforming. The bonuses are still garbage, the enemies uninspired and the levels, while thematically varied and interesting just aren't fun with the control equivalent of sprinting through honey.

Returning this game as soon as stores open tomorrow (Australian). What a shame that this is the legacy of the original trilogy. I didn't like Metroid Prime either. Now realising that I just dislike Retro's design philosophy.

Did you try rolling and then pressing the jump button

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'll wait for a price drop / if I get a lot of gold coins before I rebuy it. The best thing is that this gives Dan Ryckert another chance to rightfully make it soundtrack of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The best thing is that this gives Dan Ryckert another chance to rightfully make it soundtrack of the year.

CDqD1KV.jpg

Apr 19, 2018
Normal mode. Even if you pick DK in Funky Mode, the game becomes dramatically easier.

I mean, with the addition of a third heart for DK and your Kong buddy, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much easier. You can always opt out of using on-the-fly Shop items, and being able to retain the KONG letters between levels feels more like a quality-of-life perk.

That said, if you think you can forgo those crutches, I'd go with Classic Mode. For platforming vets, it pushes you the limits in the best possible ways.

Deleted member 12162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The posts here are really tempting me to get the game! I could just walk to Best Buy and grab a copy... So tempting!!

Just one question. Is Funky Kong only available in Funky Mode? Like we can't play Classic with him with less hearts?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

4HryN4C.jpg

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The posts here are really tempting me to get the game! I could just walk to Best Buy and grab a copy... So tempting!!

Just one question. Is Funky Kong only available in Funky Mode? Like we can't play Classic with him with less hearts?
Funky Kong is Funky Mode only. You can't switch back and forth between modes as far as I can tell.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017

You're going to get mobbed, but this is the main reason I've never played this game and don't intend to. I bought Returns and got about 1/3 through it before giving up. It had nothing to do with the level design or difficulty. It was the controls. The simple running and jumping. Something just felt seriously off. I wish there was a demo of Tropical Freeze so I could see if it feels different, but I had such a bad experience with Returns that I'm not about to pay full price for a Wii U port to find out.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
There is some level of commitment, yes. But it's nowhere near launching DK across the screen like a cannonball with little influence over his trajectory.
Too much for my liking. Snappy controls make a platformer to me. Celeste was brilliant with this, as were the original DKC games. Having things be intentionally loose and weighty is such a turn off.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Come on people, sell me on this. I am actually like 3 recommendations away from grabbing my keys, go to the games store in here and get the goddamn game, but I need convincing.

I love the original DKC Trilogy. I didn't like DKC Returns so much though. Mostly because I think the enemies look bland and boring to fight against, but overall, it was a decent platformer.

Having said that, is Tropical Freeze better? I never really played the WiiU version of it because I didn't have one, but I have to admit I'm kind of interested on the newest Switch version.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Come on people, sell me on this. I am actually like 3 recommendations away from grabbing my keys, go to the games store in here and get the goddamn game, but I need convincing.

I love the original DKC Trilogy. I didn't like DKC Returns so much though. Mostly because I think the enemies look bland and boring to fight against, but overall, it was a decent platformer.

Having said that, is Tropical Freeze better? I never really played the WiiU version of it because I didn't have one, but I have to admit I'm kind of interested on the newest Switch version.
Get it, it genuinely is one of the best. The Snowmads, the new enemies, are also way better than the Tiki's.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

The level design is a HUGE step up from Returns in my opinion. I enjoyed Tropical Freeze much moreso than I enjoyed Returns (which I really liked). Tropical Freeze is among the best platformers that I've played.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this game made me realize for the first time I'm in for Wii U ports on the Switch. I mostly played DKCR:TF on the gamepad and the resolution is much more crisper playing in handheld mode.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

I love Returns but Tropical Freeze is a step beyond in narrative and bestiary, if those are issues you had with the other game.

The world feels a lot more unique (each level has its own atmosphere, not like in DKCR where the ambience changed between worlds, and not between levels) and combines different themes, so you are not playing anymore in the forest, the cave or the beach, but in some autumn bavarian woods, a cheese warehouse under the mountains and some alien ruins in the middle of the ocean, instead.

Also, this time the enemies take everything that made the kremlings great (the association of pirates and crocodiles) and form a cohesive army of viking arctic creatures like walruses and penguins. They have an unique background with their camps and ships through the isles you visit, that have been conquered by them and transformed to suit their needs (for instance, the fruit factory has been turned into an ice cream factory), so they are way more deep than the tikis and they fit the DK universe like a glove.

Last edited:

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018

I don't see how the Snowmads are any less inspired than the Kremlings to be honest. And I think your problem stems from just not liking how it doesn't control like the typical platformer, because the actual controls are super responsive. You have to take into account DKs weight and plan jumps accordingly. If you don't, he's not going to land where you want him to.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
you misspelled incredible. if you don't get them it's not my fault :)

Donkey was in the title, how was it not searchable?

Honestly don't appreciate that edit...
The name of the game is "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze" - feel free to do whatever after the "|OT|," but we'd like to keep game titles correct.

Apr 19, 2018

I had my issues with DKC Returns, and while the 3DS port took steps toward alleviating some of those issues, the sequel takes all that was excellent (terrifically designed levels that's chockful of secrets), eliminating most of what was iffy (no more silly blowing mechanic or having to shake your controller to ground pound or roll), and refining everything else. (Better enemy types, a more streamlined challenge, and an infinitely superior soundtrack.) I've always taken to the analogy that Tropical Freeze is DKC2 to Returns' DKC1 in terms of evolutionary step up.

Last edited: