• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From WaPo

Former Democratic National Committee head Donna Brazile writes in a new book that she seriously contemplated replacing Hillary Clinton as the party's 2016 presidential nominee with then-Vice President Biden in the aftermath of Clinton's fainting spell, in part because Clinton's campaign was "anemic" and had taken on "the odor of failure."

In an explosive new memoir, Brazile details widespread dysfunction and dissension throughout the Democratic Party, including secret deliberations over using her powers as interim DNC chair to initiate the removal of Clinton and running mate Sen. Tim Kaine (Va.) from the ticket after Clinton's Sept. 11, 2016, collapse in New York City.

Brazile writes that she considered a dozen combinations to replace the nominees and settled on Biden and Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.), the duo she felt most certain would win over enough working-class voters to defeat Republican Donald Trump. But then, she writes, "I thought of Hillary, and all the women in the country who were so proud of and excited about her. I could not do this to them."

Brazile alleges that Clinton's top aides routinely disrespected her and put the DNC on a "starvation diet," depriving it of funding for voter turnout operations.

As one of her party's most prominent black strategists, Brazile also recounts fiery disagreements with Clinton's staffers — including a conference call in which she told three senior campaign officials, Charlie Baker, Marlon Marshall and Dennis Cheng, that she was being treated like a slave.

"I'm not Patsey the slave," Brazile recalls telling them, a reference to the character played by Lupita Nyong'o in the film, "12 Years a Slave." "Y'all keep whipping me and whipping me and you never give me any money or any way to do my damn job. I am not going to be your whipping girl!"

Brazile describes her mounting anxiety about Russia's theft of emails and other data from DNC servers, the slow process of discovering the full extent of the cyberattacks and the personal fallout. She likens the feeling to having rats in your basement: "You take measures to get rid of them, but knowing they are there, or have been there, means you never feel truly at peace."

Brazile writes that she was haunted by the still-unsolved murder of DNC data staffer Seth Rich and feared for her own life, shutting the blinds to her office window so snipers could not see her and installing surveillance cameras at her home. She wonders whether Russians had placed a listening device in plants in the DNC executive suite.

Brazile writes that she inherited a national party in disarray, in part because President Obama, Clinton and Wasserman Schultz were "three titanic egos" who had "stripped the party to a shell for their own purposes."

Brazile writes that she inherited Wasserman Schultz's office — with "tropical pink" walls that she found hard on the eyes — and "ridiculous" perks, such as a Chevrolet Tahoe with driver and a personal entourage that included an assistant known as a body woman.

In her first few days on the job, Brazile writes that she also discovered the DNC was $2 million in debt and that the payroll was stacked with "hangers-on and sycophants." For instance, Wasserman Schultz kept two consulting firms — SKDKnickerbocker and Precision Strategies — each on $25,000-a-month retainers, and one of Obama's pollsters was still being paid $180,000 a year.

Brazile also details how Clinton effectively took control of the DNC in August 2015, before the primaries began, with a joint fundraising agreement between the party and the Clinton campaign.

She said the deal gave Clinton control over the DNC's finances, strategy and staff decisions — disadvantaging other candidates, including Sanders. "This was not a criminal act, but as I saw it, it compromised the party's integrity," she writes.

An excerpt of this chapter — titled "Bernie, I Found the Cancer" — was published Thursday in Politico, sparking discord and recriminations through the party.

As she traveled the country, Brazile writes, she detected an alarming lack of enthusiasm for Clinton. On black radio stations, few people defended the nominee. In Hispanic neighborhoods, the only Clinton signs she saw were at the campaign field offices.

But at headquarters in New York, the mood was one of "self-satisfaction and inevitability," and Brazile's early reports of trouble were dismissed with "a condescending tone."

Brazile describes the 10th floor of Clinton's Brooklyn headquarters, where senior staff worked: "Calm and antiseptic, like a hospital. It had that techno-hush, as if someone had died. I felt like I should whisper. Everybody's fingers were on their keyboards, and no one was looking at anyone else. You half-expected to see someone in a lab coat walk by."

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so interesting to see someone committing career suicide in slow motion.
Almost reminding me of how stupid Holland was with the Media.

Honestly at this point she might as well try to register as a Republican. She is that stupid.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the odor of failure despite everyone including Trump thinking he was going to lose up until election night.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Donna is writing fanfiction.

1. DNC chair doesn't have the power to unilaterally replace nominee.
2. If we needed a replacement after Hillary died on 9/11, why not Bernie, you know, the other top candidate who actually ran?
3. Tim Kaine was nominated VP, and he'd have to resign the nomination as well for a replacement VP candidate to assume the role.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
One doesn't have to be an ardent fan of Clinton but at the same time, you're really admitting you thought of putsching her out of the nomination because she fainted and all of this? You really have such a lack of sense that you're going to just come out and say it? Right in front of my fucking salad?

This is a "fuck you" book and that's fine but you're still active in Democratic politics after you go in on people like this?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
"Buy my booooooooooooooooook"

O84HvSe.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I would've preferred Biden to Clinton, too but he chose not to run. That's the end of it.

Brazile is incompetent as a journalist and in the political sphere. I hope she never finds work in either.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah Donna, your credibility shot, especially by trying to come out with this bullshit only now through a money grab book.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
She also was sad that it took Clinton 3 months to personally call her and when Clinton did it wasn't grateful enough.

Imagine on one hand admitting that you wanted to replace Clinton and then on the other feeling you didn't get enough gratitude from Clinton....

You don't think maybe Clinton picked up on the vibe that you weren't actually doing much to help?

Madness

Oct 25, 2017

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was just about to make this thread :-P

There's certainly some truth to the account she's giving here but all of it reads, at least based on this synopsis, as incredibly self serving and defensive. She paints herself as a strong Clinton ally while simultaneously throwing Hillary and her campaign under the bus. Had she written this book as a way of exposing the DNC's complete and utter mismanagement as she took over, it likely would actually be worth reading, but instead the pandering to controversy and finger pointing feels like a blatant cash grab. Some parts like the unchecked spending by a DNC drowning in debt are worth analyzing, but everything about the election and the failures of the campaign read like she's trying to desperately absolve herself from any blame. And then there's the self aggrandizement, such as how she acts as though she truly had the power to replaced Clinton with Biden over a bout of pneumonia.

This is a weird story, and I don't encourage anyone to buy Donna's book, but it's worth highlighting if only to draw attention to the type of person Donna is as I'm sure we're going to (unfortunately) keep hearing about this account of the 2016 election for some time yet.

Iron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any evidence she's lying? I see many posters just saying "go away" without substantiation.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would have been catastrophic, replacing your nominee that close to the election. Back when the Access Hollywood incident happened, Republicans did consider trying to replace Trump, but they knew that doing so would cost them the election; it was simply a matter of being ethical/moral (but since they have no ethics or morals, they didn't do it). Brazile is just making shit up in a desperate attempt to ingratiate herself to the #Resistance.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Brazile writes with particular disdain about Brandon Davis, a Mook protege who worked as a liaison between the DNC and the Clinton campaign. She describes him as a spy, saying he treated her like "a crazy, senile old auntie and couldn't wait to tell all his friends the nutty things she said."

In staff meetings, Brazile recalls, "Brandon often rolled his eyes as if I was the stupidest woman he'd ever had to endure on his climb to the top. He openly scoffed at me, snorting sometimes when I made an observation."

Well this book and advertising blitz is certainly proving Davis right...

Is there any evidence she's lying? I see many posters just saying "go away" without substantiation.

It's far worse if she's telling the truth

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Nobody really knows yet. A few prominent people have confirmed abit of what she says and it all makes logical sense but yeah, alot of people have a "Hillary can do no wrong" mindset.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Howard Dean stated on MSNBC that Clinton had pnemonia and that it did not marrit entertaining the thought of replacement based off that fact.

too much hot air trying to sell books

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What she's saying is so outlandish that it's weird whether or not it's actually true.
Howard Dean stated on MSNBC that Clinton had pnemonia and that it did not marrit entertaining the thought of replacement based off that fact.

too much hot air trying to sell books
We've known that for months though. Donna Brazile surely heard that it was pneumonia just from watching the news a long, long time ago.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She and Warren should run for office. They're great with a different reality than the one we're living in.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"I never heard from Hillary," she writes. "I knew what I wanted to say to her and it was: I have nothing but respect for you being so brave and classy considering everything that went on. But in the weeks after the loss, every time I checked my phone thinking I might have missed her call, it wasn't her."

Finally, in February 2017, Clinton rang.

"This was chitchat, like I was talking to someone I didn't know," Brazile writes. "I know Hillary. I know she was being as sincere as possible, but I wanted something more from her."

This is probably the entire reason she's going scotched earth.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Again if she's telling the truth here.... that's worse than if she was lying...

The previous Brazile thread suggests that Lot of people would want her to shut up even she were being truthful.

For whatever reason, people hold this view that this is the DNC cannibalizing itself rather than a necessary step towards the party reforming to be more representative of its constituents and more appealing.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The previous Brazile thread suggests that Lot of people would want her to shut up even she were being truthful.

For whatever reason, people hold this view that this is the DNC cannibalizing itself rather than a necessary step towards the party reforming to be more representative of its constituents and more appealing.

Donna creating controversy to make cash is not a step into fixing anything wrong with the DNC

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone dismissing absolutely everything she's saying is being willfully ignorant. It makes me sad to see so many people on this board of all places saying she's only revealing this information in order to sell books. She's putting a lot on the line in order to talk about all of this.

Believe women.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone dismissing absolutely everything she's saying is being willfully ignorant. It makes me sad to see so many people on this board of all places saying she's only revealing this information in order to sell books. She's putting a lot on the line in order to talk about all of this.

Believe women.

It is so incredibly disingenuous to invoke that phrase here... but I'm sure you know that.

The comments about DWS's mismanagement feel true to me?

Umm everyone knew that, that's why like literally everyone wanted her gone.