• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I starred in two Oculus Quest commercials that just dropped, (I am the Asian guy, not Eric Wareheim) it really was a great little piece of hardware and I am probably going to buy one. I had no idea you could hook it up to the PC, but being able to play it anywhere is great. I just wish that they gave me one for free.

I hope I've done my job of selling you all on this product.

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue I have with the current PC VR headsets on the market (been looking at Oculus Rift S mainly) is that they have LCD screens, even the ludicrously priced Valve Index does. I've only played with the Playstation VR with an OLED screen - isn't the ability to have perfect darkness pretty important to have good looking VR?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I starred in two Oculus Quest commercials that just dropped, (I am the Asian guy, not Eric Wareheim) it really was a great little piece of hardware and I am probably going to buy one. I had no idea you could hook it up to the PC, but being able to play it anywhere is great. I just wish that they gave me one for free.

I hope I've done my job of selling you all on this product.
gj micheal

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We are fucked it seems. Been doing the mental math in my head and there is no way that I can play this thing for under a thousand. Would have to buy a new gaming rig and a headset...

shadow - online pc and you then stream to your laptop etc. You can even stream wirelessly to the quest that way without a real PC at all

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
OP I think that linked anker cable is incorrect. That's the one I bought but it's USB 2.0 only at the USB-A end. The recommended one from oculus (also anker) is out of stock for the 10ft it seems

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
shadow - online pc and you then stream to your laptop etc. You can even stream wirelessly to the quest that way without a real PC at all

Has anyone actually tested this? It sounds like it would induce some nausea levels of latency.

Wireless streaming from my PC to my quest is already pretty suspect, I can't imagine streaming it over the internet.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The main issue I have with the current PC VR headsets on the market (been looking at Oculus Rift S mainly) is that they have LCD screens, even the ludicrously priced Valve Index does. I've only played with the Playstation VR with an OLED screen - isn't the ability to have perfect darkness pretty important to have good looking VR?
Resolution, refresh rate, tracking & no screen door effect are king, not really black levels, though the PSVR being 120hz OLED is nice, it's resolution lets it down.

Jomatto

Oct 25, 2017
I have a real hard time deciding between Quest or S. It seems like the lion's share of support is being poured into the Quest since finger tracking hasn't been announced for the S though?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just won't get to play this for a few years then.

Hopefully PSVR2 is PC compatible. I can't justify buying multiple headsets.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Looked up the price for the Quest in Argentina. $1000. Yup. Not gonna play VR games any time soon.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The real cost is a PC that can run VR well. A PC that runs regular AAA games is significantly cheaper than one that also does VR well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Valve is open to letting Sony contract out a port. This would be a great get for PSVR2, and Valve has seemed to be very open with their VR push to make sure the medium catches on

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Beware of the lower refresh rate for the Quest
I owned a Rift and the lower refresh rate of 72 vs 90 doesn't bother me at all with the Quest. Yeah the Index refresh rate is fantastic but that is $1000 and requires room setup (inside out tracking is much preferred).

Link with Quest is legit. But a word of warning - don't try using the front panel USB 3.0 ports connected via a motherboard header as you will likely keep having the Link app reset during play (screen constantly blinking and having to reconnect). Instead, use the USB 3.0 ports from the rear of the computer off the motherboard and you will be golden.

i have an rtx 2080 super, would it be weird to skimp on a VR headset or nah
Not at all, a Quest isn't skimping out. Wireless VR is a total game changer and you can use it anywhere, I bring it to friend's houses and occasionally parties. I originally had an Oculus Rift and rarely played it, primarily because of the annoying wire. Valve might eventually offer wireless addon for Index, but you are still limited to one room and it will be super expensive. Although if you really aren't in a rush to adopt VR, Quest 2.0 will surely be amazing with an updated chipset/GPU but the release could be 2+ years away.

Last edited:

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Is there a laptop out there that would be able to run this? Have a Quest, but no PC to use for this, and I'm in the market for a new laptop for work.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My big issue is that I don't own a Gaming PC at the moment, so I'd be looking at $1000 for a decent PC and then $1400 on top of that. $1400 to play Half-Life Alyx is rough, though I understand this is a special case scenario.

Looking forward to the day when we can pop a smartphone into a headset and use bluetooth controllers.

Edit: Or shit, the day when we can use something like Stadia and a PC isn't required at all.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution, refresh rate, tracking & no screen door effect are king, not really black levels, though the PSVR being 120hz OLED is nice, it's resolution lets it down.

I don't agree with this. I feel like everyone has their own set of priorities (although they're also prone to shifting to whatever their new HMD is touting).

I constantly said the two things I needed out of Gen 2 were higher resolution OLED and wireless (Vive owner). Contrast is hugely important for VR. I then had a bunch of wants of varying degrees. Tried hyping myself into the Index, but when it was all said and done, only the Quest could offer higher resolution OLED and wireless (unless you wanted to pay a fortune for Vive Pro and the wireless adapter).

There's nothing wrong with the tracking on the Quest and it's constantly getting better. Nor is there anything wrong with its resolution. If you do SteamVR and apply lots of SS, it looks really good just like all the other HMDs that require SS to look good.

As for refresh rate, yeah, it's a bummer it's not higher. But it's far from a deal breaker. And besides, many of the VR games out there struggle to hit 120hz even with a 2080ti (let alone 144hz). It's not a free lunch. You either choose framerate or IQ (by having to gut your SS... which is still a requirement for all HMDs at this point).

EDIT: In case it's unclear, you can do PCVR wirelessly with the Quest. The 1.8 Update for Virtual Desktop is really good. It has higher latency than the link cable, but for a roomscale game like HL, it's how I'll be playing it. I'll use the Link for things that are twitch games that fall apart with the extra latency.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Anyone have experience with both the Quest using link and the Rift S? I'm trying to decide if the 110 degrees and RGB screen of the Rift S is enough difference to purchase it over the quest.
Anyone know how the quests screen looks versus the PSVR?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
How bloody much? 😲 That's... Cheap? I don't care about relative to other VR kit that's still 4x more than VR should be to be worth playing one game. It's not like there's many other games out there that makes VR that price worth it.

Oct 29, 2017
Uh yeah, that's still pricing me out of Half Life for the first time

Is it really "fair" to factor in the price of a gaming PC here? Even if Valve hadn't gone with VR and this was a plain old PC game... you'd need a PC to play it. Yet I'm fairly sure no one would be talking about how Valve had "priced them out of the Half-Life series" by releasing a PC game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I won't buy an Oculus headset because of its ties to Facebook.

Completely a personal stance that I have.
Really wish I could hop on this...but man...can't support Facebook in any way.

If that's your concern then buy a used Rift S and buy all of your VR games via Steam. Then Facebook doesn't get a dime and if you create a Oculus account without tying it to a Facebook account youll have tighter control over your information as well? Either way, seems like a good way to have your cake and eat it too.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with this. If you want to play a PC game, get a PC VR headset. Quest is awesome, but it's not as comfortable as dedicated PC VR headsets like the Oculus Rift S. Get a Quest if you want to primarily play dedicated Quest games and then once in a while try a PC game.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I may bite on an Oculus Rift-S for Black Friday now that this has been announced. I've been looking into buying one anyway so this just tips me over the edge even more.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
People are still fixating
What would I be missing if I went with Quest instead of the $1k headsets?

Not much at all. There's really only one $1k headset in the consumer market. You'd lose potential refresh rate, field of view, and likely finger tracking. The refresh rate and visual fidelity would be tied to a beefy PC in the first place. The Quest with Link will be a fantastic way to enjoy the game.