• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
halflife_alyx_6.jpg

Valve just announced Half-Life: Alyx. The next installment in the Half-Life series and their flagship VR game that they say "hope to bring more people into it". Taking a glance at the announcement thread, there seem to be a bunch of first-timers that are overwhelmed with the amount of options available to them and what they'll need to jump in.

Well, you're in luck. Virtual Reality is more accessible than ever and Oculus's recent Quest headset makes this whole thing really easy. If you're unsure of VR and don't want to invest too much, I'd absolutely recommend this.

mz-final-exports-016.jpeg

First off, for general VR use, the Quest is wireless and allows for full room-scale movement. No PC required. A wire-free VR experience is a big thing for a lot of people and the improved screen res + rock-solid tracking works wonders. Not everyone wants to muck about with wires and have them get in the way of you shooting some baddies and I absolutely understand that.

I've messed around with this thing and I'm amazed at how quick it is to setup and start playing. The touch controllers feel awesome and seriously did I tell you how good the tracking is guys?

549514-VR.jpg

Naturally, the chipset in the Oculus Quest won't be able to power all games as it is essentially a mobile VR headset, but here's the kicker. Oculus just recently released the Oculus Link beta update, allowing Oculus Quest users to play full PC VR games provided you have a strong enough PC and are willing to link your headset up to your PC.

I'm sure there's plenty of you out there with strong PCs but are still unsure of VR but want to get in at a decent price. This absolutely is your gateway, especially if you want to play Half-Life: Alyx and maybe fuck about with SUPERHOT (seriously, playing SUPERHOT in VR wirelessly was the first 'next-gen' moment for me).

superhot-vr.jpg

Looking at the HL: Alyx site, the Oculus Quest with a Link cable is a compatible headset with the game and IMO my recommended way of getting in if you're skeptical of VR as a whole.

pIB8C16.png

You could always pick up a Windows Mixed Reality headset or even a Rift S during Black Friday but in my opinion, the Quest gives you a feel for that completely untethered, wireless VR experience which honestly is a game changer and should be experienced by anyone and everyone. Plus it's standalone. You can let your friends and family in on all the fun. Really, the only big issue with the Quest is the refresh rate but most people won't really notice.

The Oculus Quest goes for $399 new though you could probably get it a bit cheaper refurbished. The official Oculus Link cable hasn't been released yet but it should drop near the end of the year for around $80. At the moment, you just need a high-quality USB C to USB 3.0 10ft cable.

Oculus Quest: https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-All-Gaming-System-PC/dp/B07HNW68ZC?th=1
10ft Anker Link Cable (recommended by Oculus): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZIPYPY/

hkUmWMW.png

If you've taken the time to read through this entire post, I thank you :) I sincerely hope my excitement for VR has rubbed off on you guys, especially those who haven't given it a shot yet. I'm super excited for HL: Alyx but I can understand that VR isn't feasible for a lot of people. If you're interested in VR but unsure where to start, this post is for you :)

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
or buy an index and get the game free
save $60 on the total package!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Quest + Link is amazing, been testing it all this week on Pavlov and No Mans Sky. If you don't have a grand to drop, this is the headset to get.

It's also stand alone ;)

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in VR, but I think it needs another couple of years to get better before I jump in. I like the concept behind the Quest though.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I don't know if I can put down $1000 for an index but I am seriously thinking about this.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks buddy. Black Friday is next week

Oct 26, 2017
Well, if you are going to make a thread like this, you may mention Oculus made a new offer, of giving Vader Immortal (ep1-3) with each Quest bought, from today until Jan 31st.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Rift S is said to be more comfortable than a Quest. It's definitely lighter. I'd go with that as long as you're within the IPD range. Plus it will be $350 this holiday.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing a Rift S recently to get into PCVR. Is there any reason to get the Rift S over the Quest, now that Link is a thing? Furthermore, I've heard Link only works with Nvidia graphics cards. Will I ever be able to use it with my AMD RX580?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What's the cheapest way to have a great experience in Alyx if you also have no PC at all?

depward

Oct 29, 2017
I won't buy an Oculus headset because of its ties to Facebook.

Completely a personal stance that I have.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$550 plus tax in Canada is still above "reasonable" for me, unfortunately. But at least VR prices are improving.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm interested in VR, but I think it needs another couple of years to get better before I jump in. I like the concept behind the Quest though.

Don't do this to yourself. :)

What's available now, in my opinion, is good enough to have tons of fun. Don't wait until you're in your late 30's or 40's to dive in.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Also Oculus CV1 is stupidly cheap to use for this as well.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the cheapest way to have a great experience in Alyx if you also have no PC at all?
We are fucked it seems. Been doing the mental math in my head and there is no way that I can play this thing for under a thousand. Would have to buy a new gaming rig and a headset...

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Asking me to play more than price of a console for just a few good games is way too much.

Really want to play Half Life though, so I might just go the rent a headset route for a few days lol.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
$550 plus tax in Canada is still above "reasonable" for me, unfortunately. But at least VR prices are improving.

It's still going to be a few years until VR is accessible for most of us. I'm not sure why people don't get that many people don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on VR on top of the hardware we already own

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We are fucked it seems. Been doing the mental math in my head and there is no way that I can play this thing for under a thousand. Would have to buy a new gaming rig and a headset...
Position I'm in too. I've relegated myself to watching a Let's Play on YT or hoping to be gifted enough to foot the cost.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
you can get WMR headsets for cheaper especially with black friday and the holidays so keep an eye out for that everyone!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
IS there no PSVR support? Because in that case you should be able to purchase one for like 200€ during Black Friday.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is good info, thanks.

This might be the game to get me in, but I want to only dive into VR once the IQ is good enough for me to not mind it. My only experience has been Gear VR and like 10 mins of PSVR, which both had a screen door effect. I'm assuming it will be like 3 years out where we have VR solutions with excellent IQ and high refresh rate?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you've already got the PC, I'd go with the Rift S. Looks like it should be on sale for BF too.

Quest isn't in the Oculus official BF sale, but some retailers might do something.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth mentioning how cheap some WMR headsets are now, for a pretty reasonable experience. I posted this in another thread recently, but I've seen lenovo units going for $130-150 with controllers

Is it a lesser technical experience than a higher end headset? Sure. Will it be an affordable way to experience the game? Yes,