• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two of the biggest PCVR releases are about to get a ton of backlash here. After a long period of hype, Doom VFR has become the first game to explicitly lock out the Oculus Rift Headset (and, it seems the Windows Mixed Reality Headset... and like the OSVR headset too if anyone can verify).

Currently, if one tries to start the game without a Vive headset, it'll make it to the intro and logos then hard crash and never load the actual game. While, going forward, this might be revealed to be a bug, it's worth noting that Bethesda has indicated this is actually a true Vive exclusive.

This is bullshit for a few reasons:

1) The game uses SteamVR for the API. SteamVR was created by valve and is a cross platform API. It is, essentially, what OpenGL and DirectX are for video cards, only for VR. The entire reason SteamVR was created was to make the process of making VR games for multiple headsets invisible to the end user. From a dev's perspective, SteamVR has a few components, namely a class called "VR Headset" and "Motion Controls" that you use to interact with both the VR headset and motion controllers. When you write code for SteamVR, you never specify whether or not you're working with the rift or the vive or whatever, you work through those classes. Deep below, at the driver level, beyond the grasp of the programmer, SteamVR automatically translates those calls for you to "just work" with other headsets. This is literally the point of SteamVR. The only way to actually block a headset is for the game to specifically check the headset that is running the game and crash. Which is what Doom VFR does.

2) Oculus tried this same bullshit early on with the rift and was met with immediate and heavy criticism. The criticism was so strong that, within a few weeks, they had completely gone backwards on their intentions. Bethesda deserves exactly the same. VR is a nascent industry and does not need artificial lockout bullshit like this.

These are the biggest titles to hit PCVR thus far, and this type of behavior cannot be tolerated. Do not support this type of bullshit, and be loud and vocal in the backlash against it.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for thread derailment. This has nothing to do with the topic.
After the indefensible shit Luckey's done...nah, I don't feel bad about this.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clearly related to that lawsuit from earlier this year. Bethesda is more than happy to punish consumers for John Carmack's defection.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sounds like a bug. Oculus owners should definitely hold off.

I'm totally supporting this on PSVR though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Two wrongs don't make a right

This is an awful mindset.

And Palmer Luckey isn't even at Oculus anymore.

And they blocked the Windows Mixed Reality headsets that have fucking nothing at all to do with Oculus or Palmer Luckey.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, it's funny seeing Facebook get a taste of its own medicine.

However, yes, this bullshit should not be allowed or applauded. It's poison to the PC gaming scene.

I wonder if it is a bug or maybe Zenimax is getting in there.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there are open legal proceedings between ZeniMax and Facebook right now, why did you expect them to play nice?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I was looking forward to playing these too. That's really shitty of them to literally lockout half of their customers. I wasn't expecting official support but I figured it'd still work on Rift like every other game with SteamVR

How is that relevant at all

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bit quick on the trigger there but if this is true it's disgusting. Apparent lack of AL is also a bummer, but not as much as this.

I am seeing reports now of it working on WMR tho, so maybe there is hope.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Is it really that bad if they don't want to support one of the headsets to the point you want people to not buy the games?

Edit: I'm just honestly asking not to start an argument but I'm curious if they felt like not supporting rift for whatever reason, is that really that bad? It sucks the rift owners can't play but is it enough for an outrage by everyone?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there are open legal proceedings between ZeniMax and Facebook right now, why did you expect them to play nice?

Nvidia has been in lawsuits with samsung for like 3 years now, yet I can still hook a Samsung VR headset or Samsung monitor to my PC and it'll work.

This isn't them "not playing nice." This is going against the way PC gaming in general works.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less if the Rift is denied software. Even with Luckey gone (he is gone right?) it's still owned by facebook.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. I had preordered the game as a Rift owner, because no VR game prior has done this. Fuck this.

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously having this not work with the Rift is a bummer, but just to dispute the second point in the OP it's not like games on the Oculus store just work with other headsets. You still need to use a piece of third party software to make them work, so if someone makes a fix for this to work on Rift I don't see how that would it would be that different.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit quick on the trigger there but if this is true it's disgusting. Apparent lack of AL is also a bummer, but not as much as this.

I am seeing reports now of it working on WMR tho, so maybe there is hope.

It's not working on my Dell Visor Windows MR headset. It's doing the same thing it's doing with my Rift. Boots absolutely fine on my Vive.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I have a hard time believing this isn't a bug and/or weird hardware/software compatibility issue, especially considering it works on the Lenovo.

But if the Rift IS locked out, that is complete bullshit and should not be supported.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I get way Bethesda don't want to play nice with them, but, yeah this is dumb, be like a Nintendo game refusing to work on a Sony TV.

stufte

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, Oculus locks all sorts of content to their "platform". Not that it makes this right, but there's a precedence that was set by Oculus to begin with.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously having this not work with the Rift is a bummer, but just to dispute the second point in the OP it's not like games on the Oculus store just work with other headsets. You still need to use a piece of third party software to make them work, so if someone makes a fix for this to work on Rift I don't see how that would it would be that different.

That "piece of 3rd party software" is a driver for the OVRservice, because no driver for the Vive exists in OVR. SteamVR, by contrast, already provides a driver for the Oculus Rift. The "3rd party software" is already built into SteamVR. That is the entire point of SteamVR.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck. I had preordered the game as a Rift owner, because no VR game prior has done this. Fuck this.

Google did it with Google Earth before, but they did promised Oculus Rift support will be implemented at a later date back then, because Google Earth wasn't optimized for the Rift yet. They did issue an update to add in Oculus Rift support after that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Oculus locks all sorts of content to their "platform". Not that it makes this right, but there's a precedence that was set by Oculus to begin with.

No, they don't. They just don't provide a driver for the Vive. They USED to block 3rd party drivers for the Vive, like ReVive, but people bitched, like they should now, until they stopped doing that.

Oct 28, 2017
Oculus wouldn't benefit from this monetarily at all whatsoever. This is just hurting users.

Edit: I thought you were referring to the lawsuit. Who gives a fuck about Luckey's politics? He's out of the company. This is just spiteful, petty nonsense.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bug. Better be a bug, but it seems like you really have to go out of your way to stop a game from running through Steam VR.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty understandable if you consider the lawsuit that just transpired. There is no way that I could pretend its not the dominant and possible only factor... hell, they won the lawsuit against Oculus and their next lawsuit is with Oculus's other partner... Samsung.

If these games ever come to Oculus, you can bet it will only be AFTER their lawsuit with Samsung concludes. No point in trying to frame this any other way IMO.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less if the Rift is denied software. Even with Luckey gone (he is gone right?) it's still owned by facebook.

Sure, and the scum that fully supported him are still there, but that's not the point.

Oculus will never see a single cent of my money, but I still believe its users shouldn't have to go through the same bullshit that the company tried to peddle in the past. Some of their customers never knew about what had been going on.

It also goes against the very point of PC Gaming. This isn't the 90's anymore, that kind of fragmentation is horrible.

Oct 28, 2017
No pity for anything oculus after Luckey. The whole thing can burn.
Yeah sure, fuck the millions of Oculus users because of some guy's politics that isn't even at the company anymore.

Let's just have VR die as a whole while we're at it, because one of the three major headsets being locked out of third party content is not going to help the VR scene at all whatsoever. At least with Oculus exclusives, they were being funded by Oculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.