• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Edit:

Also, new project with Focus unveiled (new IP it seems, despite Vampyr selling above 1 million copies)

Whats-next-Dontnod-Horizontal-pour-Anne-2-e1554989158452.jpg

----- Original Post -----

DONTNOD published their 2018 revenues more than half an hour ago.

Quick & dirty copy / pasted of the most interesting parts (no sales figures):

- Development revenue growth of 22.1% linked to the ramp-up of projects under development
- Royalties multiplied by 3.5 thanks mainly to the resounding success of Vampyr

Revenues from fixed development fees amounted to €10.5 million, up 22.1% compared to the previous financial year reflecting the solid pipeline of games in development.
- LIFE IS STRANGE 2, in partnership with Square Enix, for which the first episodes were released on September 27, 2018 and January 24, 2019;
- TWIN MIRROR, in partnership with Bandai Namco Entertainment;
- 2 other games in development, for which the publisher identities remain confidential.

Lastly, the studio has continued its investments to support the ramp-up of new games in development.

Also worth pointing their next financial release will be at the end of this month (25th), which could give more details on what's next for them (speaking of "What's Next", Focus Home's annual event will be next week... who knows, a Vampyr 2 announcement?)

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I still dream of another game from DONTNOD in the Remember Me world.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I would be there day one for a Remember Me sequel, but I imagine that's up to Capcom.

I need this right now. If I remember correctly, I read something a year ago or so stating that the story was already written, and that it was Capcom's move.

Imagine that sweet UE4 (or RE Engine; but I doubt it) open-world (not necessarily huge, but at least semi-open) Neo Paris.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I'm glad they've found some success after the bungled development of Remember Me but I hope they don't lean to heavily into episodic adventure games. LIS had a decent story but LIS2 has been underwhelming.

Vampyr had potential but I think a lot of the ideas needed more time in the oven. I'd like to see them attempt a proper RPG rather than an Action RPG though.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Life is Strange 2 is doing. For some reason I've gotten the impression that it hasn't done nearly as well as the first one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeesss!!! Vampyr is great!

GIve me more like it, DONTNOD. I'd love more in that universe, but anything similar would be great, as long as they get the same composer.

Oct 27, 2017
Vampyr was a great game. A little rough around the edges, but the narrative elements were strong. I'd imagine it's a little early to start announcing a sequel, though I don't doubt they'll pursue it.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I'm glad they've found some success after the bungled development of Remember Me but I hope they don't lean to heavily into episodic adventure games. LIS had a decent story but LIS2 has been underwhelming.

Vampyr had potential but I think a lot of the ideas needed more time in the oven. I'd like to see them attempt a proper RPG rather than an Action RPG though.
I wonder how Life is Strange 2 is doing. For some reason I've gotten the impression that it hasn't done nearly as well as the first one.
The scope is bigger and plenty of locations to travel between rather than a set town like the 1st. First 2 eps just like LiS1 are the introductory stage. I feel that it'll have a solid impact on the 3rd or 4th just like LiS1 with its twist.
Last I heard it has a save corruption bug that hasn't been patched?
It has.
XXGoUC6.jpg

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
DONTNOD must have great management to balance so many projects at a time. Glad they're finding success in the non-AAA space.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Turns out you can actually make money with non AAA games if you budget accordingly and make an interesting game. What a surprise.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I mean, revenue is up compared to the previous year? They released one and a half significant games in 2018, Vampyr and LiS 2 episode 1. (Captain Spirit was a free download). They released no games in 2017! I would hope revenue would be up in a year of two games compared to a year of nothing. I truly question whether Vampyr or LiS2 met sales expectations, and revenue =/= profit. I'm rooting for them on the strength of my love of the original Life is Strange, but the sequel has been a disappointing mess so far imo.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

One of favourite developers, so glad to see them doing well. Definitely interested to see those unannounced games too, whether they are sequels to either Remember Me or Vampyr, or new IP.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Great to see them doing well. Hope they continue creating unique and creatively bold IP's.

Oct 30, 2017
Soooo happy that Vampyr was a success for them.

Can't wait foe the physical release for LiS2 and Twin Mirror next year.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, revenue is up compared to the previous year? They released one and a half significant games in 2018, Vampyr and LiS 2 episode 1. (Captain Spirit was a free download). They released no games in 2017! I would hope revenue would be up in a year of two games compared to a year of nothing. I truly question whether Vampyr or LiS2 met sales expectations, and revenue =/= profit. I'm rooting for them on the strength of my love of the original Life is Strange, but the sequel has been a disappointing mess so far imo.

rooting for them, as well. but, yeah, i really think they need to reanalyze the whole episodic approach, which, according to the recently published lis2 episode release schedule, they appear to've seriously lost control of...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Vampyr had to sell million copies to be a success, half of that to be profitable. According to Focus Home Interactive President, A. Cédric Lagarrigue. The game sold 450k copies in it's first month.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
The scope is bigger and plenty of locations to travel between rather than a set town like the 1st. First 2 eps just like LiS1 are the introductory stage. I feel that it'll have a solid impact on the 3rd or 4th just like LiS1 with its twist.

It has.
XXGoUC6.jpg
Thanks for info. My wife will be pleased, but she's claimed by Yoshi atm

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Glad Vampyr did well, I really enjoyed that game. Hope they're planning on making a sequel that builds on the first game gameplay-wise. Story-wise I think they can go anywhere they want now.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of DONTNOD but I'm not sure if I'd buy Vampyr 2. I enjoyed some aspects of the world, story, and characters but absolutely hated the combat and world traversal.

Super excited for Twin Mirror though.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Vampyr was superb, so happy it was a hit for them. I really hope they go on to do more and bigger projects.
Amazing studio, definitely my favourite up and coming dev right now.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Vampyr was supposed to break even at 500k and considered a success at 1 million or something like that. Good to hear it performed better than expected. A very unique and atmospheric game, even if the combat wasn't too hot (which I hear they've patched since to be optional?)