• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
From their 2020 business review.

Numbers!:
  • Capitalized production multiplied by 2.5
  • Strong growth in back catalog revenue: royalties up 83%
  • Acceleration of self-publishing strategy: operating revenues1 up 31% to €23.6 million
MSlkbta.png

Push for Self publishing going forward / Asian market
DONTNOD is therefore perfectly placed to ramp up its development plan aimed at capturing more value generated from its original creations by self-publishing more games and extending the reach of its catalog to mobile platforms in Asia. The entire pipeline has thus been enhanced with new self-published IP in line with the positive industry trends in favor of creators of high-quality original games that gain international recognition, such as DONTNOD

Becoming a publisher (it was announced last year IIRC)
Against this backdrop, following the creation of the new publishing and marketing departments to promote game releases, in early 2021 DONTNOD joined SELL (Syndicat des Editeurs de Logiciels de Loisirs), which brings together the leading video game publishers in France. This new milestone is a reflection of the studio's desire to contribute towards the development of a sector with significant international reach that is a strong driving force for the French economy.

Current line up of games in production
Lastly, DONTNOD is continuing to develop the new co-production with FOCUS Home Interactive as well as the design/pre-production of 5 other self-published titles scheduled for release between 2022 and 2025.

Their game with Focus is cooking since quite some time now. I wonder if they'll unveil it soon (it's a fairly big AA game, budget wise). Also I was still expecting a new partnership with Microsoft (without anything concrete to back this up, it just made sense).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hopefully the Vampyr team is cooking up something more action-y then their narrative stuff.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Their new Montreal studio (where the LiS 1 & 2 creative leads are now working) is currently hiring a writer. Confirmed to be a narrative game.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This was my concern. Good to hear they're getting investment and are still able to self-publish.
Indeed. Company that makes this type of games certainly needs strong backing -whether it's Tencent, MS or somebody like that. On their own they could end in a big financial trouble.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I hope someday they get to dabble in the Remember Me zone again.

Not with the exact same IP or budget, of course, but a game with similar general mechanics and feel. I loved that game. So underappreciated.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to see a port of Remember me, the art was so good it would hold up well I'm sure

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great, I still hope they try again at an action/RPG title, I had a good time with Vampyr.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, crazy that their breakout hit was Life is Strange and that it boosted them to rise up in the industry. Played through the first chapter of Tell Me Why and was enjoying myself. Hopefully this stops any speculation that Microsoft is going to scoop them up.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Interesting about the mobile games, I wonder if their current crop of games can translate to mobile, or if they'll be entirely new experiences.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They are my favourite game developer whose name is also a palindrome.
I guess they might soon become my favourite publisher whose name is also a palindrome.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Not super excited about the self publishing as I imagine they'll all end up timed Epic exclusives like Twin Mirror.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
2020 full year results :

Their 2020 full year result is now available :

DON'T NOD - Press releases

DON'T NOD est un éditeur et développeur français indépendant basé à Paris et Montréal, créateur de jeux narratifs originaux dans les genres aventure (LIFE is STRANGE ™, TELL ME WHY ™, TWIN MIRROR ™), RPG (VAMPYR ™) et action (REMEMBER ME ™).

" 2021 has started with a rich in-house pipeline of six original creations, five of which are self-published and one co-produced with FOCUS Home Interactive, with releases scheduled between 2022 and 2025. "

Last edited:

IgelRM

Feb 8, 2018
Western Europe
" 2021 has started with a rich in-house pipeline of six original creations, five of which are self-published and one co-produced with FOCUS Home Interactive, with releases scheduled between 2022 and 2025. "
Push for Self publishing going forward / Asian market

Their game with Focus is cooking since quite some time now. I wonder if they'll unveil it soon (it's a fairly big AA game, budget wise). Also I was still expecting a new partnership with Microsoft (without anything concrete to back this up, it just made sense).

The SFAF presentation implies no releases this year (DONTNOD already shipped two games last year, one with Shibuya Productions). Though it looked like the PortaPlay game could come out this year.

Also all numbered projects are listed as "self-published". I recall Guilbert mentioned partnering with a "major publisher" in 2020. Maybe this is only for PC or something though.

From what I remember the strategy part of mobile and Asia (China) was already in their 2018 IPO document, but perhaps it will come to fruition if this Tencent "business cooperation" is something.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Give me Life is Strange 2 PART 2. NOW.

Dontnod CEO Says Life is Strange Is 'Not Our Strategy' For Now

" "Never say never," Guilbert said. "But for the moment it's not our strategy, yeah. We want to create our own IPs. That's what we want to do."
www.ign.com

Dontnod CEO Says Life is Strange Is 'Not Our Strategy' For Now - IGN

Dontnod is still primarily associated with Life Is Strange. But according to CEO Oskar Guilbert, Dontnod is now ready to move on.

there is also this new interview (i didn't see a thread about it,but a Dontnod OT is needed i think :p )
Dontnod 'Refused Several Proposals' of Acquisition to Maintain Independence
www.ign.com

Dontnod 'Refused Several Proposals' of Acquisition to Maintain Independence - IGN

At a time when it seems like every indie studio that grows to a certain size and has a hit game is getting acquired by a giant entity, Dontnod is proclaiming its ongoing independence.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Dontnod CEO Says Life is Strange Is 'Not Our Strategy' For Now

" "Never say never," Guilbert said. "But for the moment it's not our strategy, yeah. We want to create our own IPs. That's what we want to do."
www.ign.com

Dontnod CEO Says Life is Strange Is 'Not Our Strategy' For Now - IGN

Dontnod is still primarily associated with Life Is Strange. But according to CEO Oskar Guilbert, Dontnod is now ready to move on.

there is also this new interview (i didn't see a thread about it,but a Dontnod OT is needed i think :p )
Dontnod 'Refused Several Proposals' of Acquisition to Maintain Independence
www.ign.com

Dontnod 'Refused Several Proposals' of Acquisition to Maintain Independence - IGN

At a time when it seems like every indie studio that grows to a certain size and has a hit game is getting acquired by a giant entity, Dontnod is proclaiming its ongoing independence.

Yeah I know. Just wish they give us another game with a similar vibe (although perhaps a little less tragic :p)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm guessing Focus will reveal their game either E3 or GamesCom.
Excited to see what's next for the Vampyr team