• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so I have another big update and some root causes of the issues I experienced! After installing my Razer Synapsis drivers the issue came back! I had been told by multiple people in the last 15 hours that the new option in the lasted patch caused issues similar to what I am seeing. Once I turned off that option in Doom's config (under mouse and keyboard settings) everything became super smooth and I was getting right around 144 FPS! So after a long long long journey this is my take on it.

• Windows 7 never had an issue with the Razer addition in Doom no matter what settings I threw at it.
  • Windows 10 has the issues you saw in my video with the Razer addition turned on. This is very strange it would happen in 10 but not 7.
  • The ability to test on 2 different operating systems was invaluable. While it took a lot of time to go back to 7 and test it was the catalyst to beginning to pin point where the issue was and confirmed my issues were not hardware related. I am going to setup a dual boot of Win 7 and 10 before I reinstall everything in Windows. I liked how much faster 7 was so I will probably use that as my primary gaming O/S and play only Win 10 specific games in Windows 10. I highly recommend a dual boot setup based on this if you know what you are doing. Keep in mind later motherboard and chipsets you will need to streamline drivers into your Win7 installation.
  • Last but certainly not least this thread just confirmed we have the best community on the internet here at ERA bar none! I want to thank everyone who jumped in to help a stranger through this craziness. I apologize if I came across as short to anyone last night. I was at my wits end and burned out on this issue. I also hope the group effort goes to show possible newcomers to PC gaming that while these kind of issues can really suck and are annoying as hell you have a strong community here including myself that would be willing to help and also teach as needed. THANK YOU AGAIN!
Well I'm glad to see that you've figured out what was causing this.
So it wasn't Windows 10 itself - it was the fact that Windows 8 and 10 will automatically download Synapse via Windows Update, and that there are apparently issues with the current version of Synapse for Windows 10.
That's something I have complained about for a long time now, as it's completely unnecessary to use the devices (only customize them) and I consider Synapse v2 to be bordering on malware.
I don't know how they convinced Microsoft it was OK to ship it. It used to be that Synapse managed to interrupt the Windows installer!

Synapse v2 is the main reason that I stopped recommending Razer hardware.
Sure, there are other reasons to avoid it as well now, but the old DeathAdders were arguably the best mice around for a long time.
The fact that Synapse v2 cripples functionality of that older hardware (erases all on-board profiles when connected) was enough for me to excise all Razer hardware from my system. It's a shame, because I still like the Orbweaver hardware and no mouse has fit my hand as well as the DeathAdder shape.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so I have another big update and some root causes of the issues I experienced! After installing my Razer Synapsis drivers the issue came back! I had been told by multiple people in the last 15 hours that the new option in the lasted patch caused issues similar to what I am seeing. Once I turned off that option in Doom's config (under mouse and keyboard settings) everything became super smooth and I was getting right around 144 FPS! So after a long long long journey this is my take on it.

• Windows 7 never had an issue with the Razer addition in Doom no matter what settings I threw at it.
  • Windows 10 has the issues you saw in my video with the Razer addition turned on. This is very strange it would happen in 10 but not 7.
  • The ability to test on 2 different operating systems was invaluable. While it took a lot of time to go back to 7 and test it was the catalyst to beginning to pin point where the issue was and confirmed my issues were not hardware related. I am going to setup a dual boot of Win 7 and 10 before I reinstall everything in Windows. I liked how much faster 7 was so I will probably use that as my primary gaming O/S and play only Win 10 specific games in Windows 10. I highly recommend a dual boot setup based on this if you know what you are doing. Keep in mind later motherboard and chipsets you will need to streamline drivers into your Win7 installation.
  • Last but certainly not least this thread just confirmed we have the best community on the internet here at ERA bar none! I want to thank everyone who jumped in to help a stranger through this craziness. I apologize if I came across as short to anyone last night. I was at my wits end and burned out on this issue. I also hope the group effort goes to show possible newcomers to PC gaming that while these kind of issues can really suck and are annoying as hell you have a strong community here including myself that would be willing to help and also teach as needed. THANK YOU AGAIN!
Really pleased that you found the root cause!

I'm with Pargon about the Synapse software. I replaced all of my Razer hardware just so I could free myself of their horrid software. Not sure why I didn't think of it as a potential root cause.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Really pleased that you found the root cause!

I'm with Pargon about the Synapse software. I replaced all of my Razer hardware just so I could free myself of their horrid software. Not sure why I didn't think of it as a potential root cause.

Overall I am very happy with my Razer kb and mouse. I have learned my lesson about their drivers though.

Green_

May 21, 2018

Thank's you hlhbk for your patience ! I was troubleshooting the same problem and your solution worked for me too.
No stutter anymore !

Please Razer stop with those weird features always ruining the performance, like Stats & Heatmaps and now Chroma...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
OP you solved the issue for me as well!. I was wanting to do a replay of doom and it was stuttering as all hell and it turns out it was the razer chroma crap in the mouse and keyboard options! thank you so much!

WuTangDan88

Sep 10, 2018
Just wanted to say that I created an account (which is unnecessarily onerous by the way) purely just to thank the OP for his efforts. This issue bugged me all last weekend.

I loaded up DOOM after getting my PC back from the repair shop and I knew it didn't feel right, it was bugging the hell (pun intended) out of me.

I have a GTX 1080 ASUS Strix and i7 7700k so I was expecting to see in excess of 144 frames at 1440p on this amazing game, yet my FPS was going berserk and although still over 100, it just didn't feel right.

I honestly laughed when I discovered that the source of all of these issues was a simple setting in the game itself for my mouse! Also felt super bad for OP as he went through so much trouble shooting, just to find out it was a setting in the game! That's PC gaming for you...

The first time I booted up DOOM with the setting disabled, it was like night and day. This game might be the smoothest FPS I have ever played and I absolutely love it. Lets hope we don't have any annoying bugs in the coming sequel!

RIP AND TEAR!

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Dude, thank you so much for posting this.

I recently hooked up a Razer keyboard to my rig, and had the same issues with the game. Never in a million years would I have thought to look in the keyboard settings of all places. Switched off "Razer Chroma", and it's back to buttery smooth again.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
What setting am I looking to disable in the software?

I just formatted and began wondering whether I should install synapse v2 for my mouse settings.

I'm glad you managed to solve your problem OP. Sometimes I question whether it's all worth it or not because I don't have much time to game anymore, so spending 75% of my time just getting a game up and running can be extremely frustrating. It took me days to troubleshoot why Divinity OS2 (Classic) kept crashing on startup, yes if was the Razer software too.

It seems people have even more to complain about with v3, unbelievable.

Am I safe to install v2 again? No idea how to customize my mouse speed otherwise :/

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this thread is still going?!? I am glad I could help those I have helped! it was extremely frustrating to go through!

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It HAS to be something on your end.
DOOM is running as smooth as butter on my rig.

Granted i'm using a GTX 980 i7 2600 but settings match my pc's capabilities without harming framerate.

Try reducing textures and like 1 other option.
Like take it 1 tick down.

The difference is negligible at best but will probably have the best boost.
Sometimes it's the silly things that does the trick.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Granted i'm using a GTX 980 i7 2600 but settings match my pc's capabilities without harming framerate.

Might want to read a few of the posts before yours. OP's issues were resolved a while ago, more recent posts are because of people using it as a reference for their own.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

Uh first of all my issue was resolved 6 months ago. Please read the thread before responding.

Secondly it was nothing on my end causing it.

Hot_Sawce

Oct 27, 2017
hlhbk, I have been trying to get into this forum since last night. I came across your problem, as I too was experiencing it across 2 different machines. Reading your posts and almost doing the same. But I read a post on Reddit that says the latest update with Chroma was causing issues.

The last update seem to have ruined performance. The game is a stuttering mess now, with low GPU usage. My fix was to disable the new Chroma setting.
In mouse and keyboard settings, turn off the chroma option.

It seems my help has come abit late, but it is still offered.

Regards,
D4rk5yr3
Sweet jesus thank you for this! I was going nuts with my new system trying to figure this out!

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this old thread as a PSA since the Doom series is currently in the limelight. If you are experiencing strange performance issues in DOOM 2016 and have a Razor Chroma keyboard make sure you disable the Razor Chroma feature in the DOOM settings!

On a side note the only bad side effect of having to do this is my keyboard is completely dark when playing DOOM but the performance is night and day!

Schug

Oct 27, 2017
I just did a playthrough with Razer Chroma enabled and it was smooth. The effects are kind of fun but definitely nothing you need. What a strange bug.