• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.usgamer.net

Exclusive: Doom 64 Devs Reveal the Port Will Include a Brand New Chapter

When Bethesda's Pete Hines popped up on a Nintendo Direct last year to announce a re-release of Midway's Doom 64, an of…

When Bethesda's Pete Hines popped up on a Nintendo Direct last year to announce a re-release of Midway's Doom 64, an often overlooked entry in the Doom franchise, it came as a pretty big surprise.
As we've seen more of id's Doom Eternal in the months since, the reasoning behind bringing back Doom 64 has become much clearer. After all, Doom 64 isn't just riding the wave of hype that Doom Eternal has generated.

Midway more-or-less designed Doom 64 as a sequel to Doom 2. It picks up the story from there and, rather than stick close to the presentation of id's originals, Doom 64's levels are typically much darker and its ambient soundtrack is more foreboding. Doom 64 took the series in that direction long before Doom 3 came about, and we'll also get to see that atmosphere and story expanded upon in a brand new chapter made for the port.

Since it was only ever officially released for the Nintendo 64 in 1997, plenty of folks are going to be experiencing Doom 64 for the first time later this month. While Bethesda's recent releases of Doom and Doom 2 launched with some issues, there's good reason to trust that Doom 64 is getting top-tier treatment from the port's developers at Nightdive Studios.

You may know Nightdive as the team behind the upcoming System Shock remake, but the studio has also released a few faithful ports of classic first-person shooters including Turok, Forsaken, and Blood. These have all been powered by the KEX engine, which has its roots in work that Nightdive's lead engine developer Samuel Villareal did years ago on an unofficial PC port of Doom 64. With Nightdive's work on the new Bethesda-approved port, Villareal's work is coming full circle.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I was hoping they would have worked out a deal with modders to include the Absolution levels from the PC fan port but this sounds cool

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM 64 isn't that much of a sequel to DOOM 2, it's actually more of a really weird remake of DOOM 1, containing elements from D2 and a lot of new stuff.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
JH:Optional motion control support on the Switch and PlayStation 4 is my favorite addition. Using it to fine tune your aim gives a sense of really being there in the moment.

WHY NOT DOOM 3 THO!!!! :(

(love that they put this in, even though I'm not sure how useful this is for a classic Doom-game ... it was sorely missed in Doom3 ... but also great that they put it in the PS4 version as welL!)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put some respect on Nightdive's name man.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Other things in the article are that the Unmaker is going to be in DOOM Eternal and DOOM 64 will be sold separately for 4.99 USD.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, Doom 64 was incredible at the time as a Doom fan. Sadly it was trolled hard just because it wasn't "full 3D" as Turok or Goldeneye.

By the way, is this the official name of the new port? Doom 64? I was thinking this could be a problem with Nintendo on some other platforms, but I guess I'm wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Yup, that sounds like Kaiser. He's been out of the level design community for a while because of source port work, but I'm expecting great things from him doing new stuff for Doom 64. Guy absolutely deserves kudos for what he's accomplished, before and after Nightdive.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Doom 64 will release alongside Doom Eternal on March 20, 2020 for the PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4. It's a pre-order bonus for Doom Eternal, but it will also be available as a separate $4.99 purchase.

Hot dang, $5 is very reasonable. I might pick it up separately on Switch.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It also has by far the coolest weapon in Doom history in the Unmaker, which is
returning in Doom Eternal.

So excited that more people will be able to play this amazing game, and awesome that the devs are expanding on it.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Awesome, Doom 64 was incredible at the time as a Doom fan. Sadly it was trolled hard just because it wasn't "full 3D" as Turok or Goldeneye.

By the way, is this the official name of the new port? Doom 64? I was thinking this could be a problem with Nintendo on some other platforms, but I guess I'm wrong.

Nintendo can't hold a copyright on the number 64 in and of itself or the naming convention therin.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Other things in the article are that the Unmaker is going to be in DOOM Eternal and DOOM 64 will be sold separately for 4.99 USD.

How much you want to bet they're going to use at least a tiny bit of the new content to make the link between DOOM 64's original ending and the start of DOOM 2016 even more explicit?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 64 is more Relevant cannon wise as it is presumed that the Doom slayer is Doom Guy from D64 is him after he got stuck in hell after killing the mother demon. So the sarcophagus is the being that killed her when it is unearthed
aren't the new games supposed to be reboots that ignore the previous canon?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what they've done with DOOM and DOOM 2 already licensing out a bunch of level packs or doing more in house stuff isn't just possible, but likely.

Nov 27, 2017
California
DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM 64
I'm hyped to play it

for $5 it's a god damn steal
I was going to buy it on Xbox one then try to trade the code for a switch code but now I'll just buy it on the eshop :D

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Clever move on Bethesda's part! Anybody who has already played Doom 64 EX gets a new reason to get excited here.