• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware of no such site, I'm a New Zealander that has used this name in games for decades. If my username is problematic I would certainly be open to changing it. I'm active now because I was sure the mods would lock a thread giving a platform to a known alt right haven, but since they haven't I wanted to respond to others in this thread that apparently have no problem giving alt righters a platform.
Information is information regardless of the source. If Kotaku had reported on the leak(as they have in the past) would they also be complicit in spreading alt right propaganda? If there was an ERA thread on said Kotaku article, should it be shut down because it in some way traces back to 4chan? Are we to pretend that leaks don't exist in order to preserve a intellectual bubble where bad things don't exist?

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
> According to the leaker, the angels are fantastical and contain no references to Christianity to avoid pissing off Christians and Atheists alike.

The Atheist part of that makes no sense lmao, let me kill Jesus for what I care.
What a pathetic comment. Fortunately not all Atheists are this childish and simply don't want religion in their entertainment full stop, not to piss off religion.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting details. I wonder if they end up explaining or revealing the character behind the speech at the beginning of DOOM?

I'm guessing it might be the hooded figure featured here. It would be cool to get some backstory on this fella.

umk7h.jpg

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
According to the leaker, the angels are fantastical and contain no references to Christianity to avoid pissing off Christians and Atheists alike.
How could you be pissed off by some mythical creature which does not exist, if you atheist, that's absolutely idiotic logic. I probably seen a lot in games, which I don't even recognise that they are religious figures or has references on them to some religion.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
About a month ago I was in a depressive rut and didn't much fancy carrying on living. I knew I had to make it to November to play Doom Eternal though.

Thanks, Doom Eternal!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so all the doom games have the same doomguy essentially

its canon now?

It's an anonymous leak, so it's not canon until we get actual confirmation of its veridicity. I seem to recall that the previous game kinda hinted at Doomguy and Doomslayer being separate entities, but I may remember wrong, I have not finished the story in a few years now, and even then their plans could have changed come the sequel. I, for one, would appreciate a Groundhog Day-esque canon in which the same Doomguy/slayer has to get through different ways of how the demon invasion happens, trapped in this eternal loop of violence which also made him so good at it, going as far as taking satisfaction in brutally executing the foes. Like all that violence that was forced upon him deranged him in crazy ways. If this is what Doom aims to do, it's the right tongue-in-cheek yet gory as fuck experience that they should be aiming at. I'm in.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i need this. i'm too excited. might go replay 2016 again.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So theyre finally dropping the pretense that new doomguy might not be a guy, time to drop the doomslayer thing.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So theyre finally dropping the pretense that new doomguy might not be a guy, time to drop the doomslayer thing.

If this leak is true, I guess Doom 2016 can be seen as a random arc in media which features looping parallel universes as its thing. We may have witnessed one of many universes in Doom 2016, one perhaps where shit went down the hardest, but now that we know all Doom games are canon and yet in different universes, it's time to unite it all and embrace the fact that all main characters are the same person. Very cool if they pull it off right.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
> According to the leaker, the angels are fantastical and contain no references to Christianity to avoid pissing off Christians and Atheists alike.

The Atheist part of that makes no sense lmao, let me kill Jesus for what I care.
I uh...I think Doom's far beyond the point of trying to avoid upsetting Christians. The rune challenges in 2016 were big red glowing pentagrams. I'm Christian but I don't particularly care, though if someone walked in and saw that load screen I'd get some looks.

Oct 25, 2017
What a pathetic comment. Fortunately not all Atheists are this childish and simply don't want religion in their entertainment full stop, not to piss off religion.

I was saying that I wouldn't get offended and that DOOM of all things should not worry about it.

I know a lot of Christians that love SMT, a series in which you literally kill the Christian god, and no one cares. It's fiction, it's fine.

I also love to see religious and other human stories in games, it's fun to see what people come up with, I mean even if I'm an Atheist I can't deny how relevant the bible and other texts are in the creation of many stories, it's even said that you NEED to read the whole bible to truly understand a lot of literature, so I disagree about not wanting religion in entertainment. It's kinda like saying "I want no politics" in my games when everything is political.

Anyways, You seem to have misunderstood my post even if I get that I didn't really elaborate at all. I hope this makes things more clear.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
so all the doom games have the same doomguy essentially

its canon now?
Not Doom 3. It has two different marines.

Although the original Doom guy can be seen if my theory is true. In Doom 3 you can find a grave just like the one doom guy was in at the start of Doom 4. According to the lore it is about an ancient hero that battled the demons and because we know that hell's time doesn't work the same way as our universe or any universe it makes perfect sense that it is him.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I was saying that I wouldn't get offended.

I know a lot of Christians that love SMT, a series in which you literally kill the Christian god, and no one cares. It's fiction.

Anyways, you seemed to have misunderstood my post.
Why wouldn't you be offended at content that offends a certain group of people (in this case religious people or Christians)? We seem to extend that right to other groups of people but it seems at times it's open season on religious people.

I will say though to another point you made, I don't understand how "it's fiction" matters. Would a game that who's purpose was for the player to murder black people, gay people or trans people etc.. be Ok because it's "fiction"? People on here are outraged all the time about the content in some games, does the "it's fiction" argument fly then?

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you be offended at content that offends a certain group of people (in this case religious people or Christians)? We seem to extend that right to other groups of people but it seems at times it's open season on religious people.

I will say though to another point you made, I don't understand how "it's fiction" matters. Would a game that who's purpose was for the player to murder black people, gay people or trans people etc.. be Ok because it's "fiction"? People on here are outraged all the time about the content in some games, does the "it's fiction" argument fly then?

I really wouldn't compare killing gods and angels in games to targeting individuals for their sexual orientation and race, I don't think it's similar at all. One of them is not "us".

Something to consider when I talk about SMT is that the lore behind that universe is pretty much that every god and human story is pretty much real so you get to fight gods of so many religions, so you were always going to fight Yahweh in some of these games, it's open season for every religion and it's also a Japanese game which is another thing to consider because they aren't a Christian country at all and it's cool to see their perspective. Yahweh is sold as this tyrannical being that wants order/lawd over everything else so he's clearly the enemy of freedom which is a big thing in the SMT universe. ("YHVH is characterized as a vain dictator who has created the universe in such a way that it will be subjugated under him forever.)

When it comes to DOOM it's a game about going to hell and killing demons, there is no way to escape the religion aspect of DOOM, adding Angels or whatever is not going to tilt more heads and it actually builds on the lore of that world which I would love to see because so far it's the same demons we've seen again and again(which I love).

So yeah, I actually want more games to go the SMT route and give us more stories with religious characters or at least worlds in which some religions are "true", I think it's a shame to act like it's taboo when it's such an interesting part of human history. A world in which the Christian God actually exists and he's as much of an asshole as he is portrait in the old testament is one of the reasons SMT is awesome, give me more of that.

I mean, let's not forget that DOOM 1/2 are full of religious references. This would just be more of the same.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The angel comment is weird. It's not like the Japanese haven't been shooting angels in the face since Eva.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
As I said in my edit comment, there's a difference. allowing criminal and extremely offensive content is what 4chan does. It's theirs policy to allow people talking all type of openly and violently racist bullshit.
YouTube and Twitter could fail to enforce theirs own policies, but they recognize that this type of content is inadmissible.
Actually if the post breaks any laws they have janitors whose job is to delete any of those posts nowadays 8chan is where you see that more commonly. And again depends on the board all of them may share things that are borderline questionable but few are purely illegal and in the case of phobic content that's per individual as well thousands post their and it's anonymous so of course you will get shitty people. But on topic a leak is a leak of its legit and it has sources I say post it

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I uh...I think Doom's far beyond the point of trying to avoid upsetting Christians. The rune challenges in 2016 were big red glowing pentagrams. I'm Christian but I don't particularly care, though if someone walked in and saw that load screen I'd get some looks.

my guess is the leaker kind of got his wires crossed here. like they are going out of their way to avoid christian references but mostly to stick with their own lore, which makes sense because doom never really got into that side of things (that i know of)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It's an anonymous leak, so it's not canon until we get actual confirmation of its veridicity. I seem to recall that the previous game kinda hinted at Doomguy and Doomslayer being separate entities, but I may remember wrong, I have not finished the story in a few years now, and even then their plans could have changed come the sequel. I, for one, would appreciate a Groundhog Day-esque canon in which the same Doomguy/slayer has to get through different ways of how the demon invasion happens, trapped in this eternal loop of violence which also made him so good at it, going as far as taking satisfaction in brutally executing the foes. Like all that violence that was forced upon him deranged him in crazy ways. If this is what Doom aims to do, it's the right tongue-in-cheek yet gory as fuck experience that they should be aiming at. I'm in.
I presume Doom 1/2/64 =doom hunter and Doom Marine from 3 being a separate guy

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This game feels like the gaming equivalent of comfort food, and I fucking love comfort food. Like a big old chicken pie stuffed with gravy and bacon. God damn.

Dec 12, 2017
Weird bump.

But everything shown so far has been true to the leak. I think, with it and the screenshots, it's safe to say it was legit. The 1/1000 leaks that are real.

lots of stuff has been leaking lately, i dunno how they keep anything a secret these days. Like look at Rise of Skywalker...we not only got leaks but like... leaks of stuff they cut.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
>Imps in business suits.

holy fuck, my heart of hearts tells me this is true.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This leak makes me so excited, at this point it was probably real. The Groundhog Day-esque formula in which the Doomslayer is trapped in a violent loop which deranged him sounds amazing, and so do the imps in business suits. Bring. It. On.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
This is one of the few times I'm not going to read spoilers. I've waited for this game for too damn long.

Can't wait!

Oct 28, 2017
4chan leaks usually remind me about that Alfred Hitchcock episode "Mail Order Prophet" where a person keeps receiving mails sent by someone which seems that the person is amazingly predicting the future.

Nov 4, 2018
Looks like the leak is legit, one of the leaked level names, Cultist Base, is the actual name of a level in the preview released today.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This leak turned out to be partially true. Some things are real, most things aren't. The real things include the photos and some things that can't just be educated guesses, so there was definitely truth to the leak. Can't say if the leaker just threw random fan fiction into it or some things changed during development. Keep in mind the game was delayed not long after this leak, so it's possible they reworked some things, possibly cutting stuff, maybe pushing them towards the story DLCs. There's a couple elements in the game that make me believe they scrapped some things, but I'll not get into spoiler territory. It does seem to contain too much fake info to be just reworked stuff, however, so I'm inclined to believe the source was legit but threw tons of bullshit into it too.