• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
1581556782307.jpg
This is how I envisioned Forerunners/Prometheans before Halo 4/5

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
context for the spoiler?

The lore is ambiguous so:
you learn in Doom 2016 of the Betrayer who sold out his people to the demons to bring back his son. The demons did bring the son back but as the Icon of Sin. The Betrayer then goes on a mad rampage in hell. I thought the Betrayer was the Doom Slayer but apparently thats not true.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
The lore is ambiguous so:
you learn in Doom 2016 of the Betrayer who sold out his people to the demons to bring back his son. The demons did bring the son back but as the Icon of Sin. The Betrayer then goes on a mad rampage in hell. I thought the Betrayer was the Doom Slayer but apparently thats not true.
oh yea the Betrayer is definitely not the Slayer. But the icon of sin part is new info to me, as well as Betrayer going on a rampage. Do we have an image of the betrayer in any of the Doom series?

Oct 25, 2017
Great, now I need to avoid spoilers online so I don't ruin the game I've already pre-ordered.

I'm doing a very good job by clicking on a thread that says "major spoiler inside", but I haven't clicked anyone's spoilers here yet at least.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
One spoiler I don't regret clicking on. The only thing I regret is that it isn't March goddamn 20th yet.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I couldn't bring myself to pay attention to the lore of 2016 but you all have me intrigued. Are there any easy to follow summaries out there?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The Icon of Sin was shown in a trailer briefly and we even had The Betrayer telling Doom Slayer to put his son's soul to rest. It was always gonna be in.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
Not really following the lore behind DOOM (I'm just here to slay demons) but all that art that was posted looks absolutely AMAZING.

Can't wait to get my hands on DOOM Eternal.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I had no idea there was all this hidden lore about Doom. Im currently going through Doom 2016 for the first time, will pay more attention to all the log notes in game now.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Not really following the lore behind DOOM (I'm just here to slay demons) but all that art that was posted looks absolutely AMAZING.

Can't wait to get my hands on DOOM Eternal.

Thats the beautiful thing about the game. They give you codex but don't force you to read them. I stumbled on them about two years ago just messing around the menus. Read them all because they are actually well written and interesting.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats the beautiful thing about the game. They give you codex but don't force you to read them. I stumbled on them about two years ago just messing around the menus. Read them all because they are actually well written and interesting.

And the best part is that at this point we know that we'll meet a lot of the players involved in the wacky lore of Doom 2016. The Night Sentinels, the Betrayer, Deag Grav... they will all be present in Eternal in some form, and I can't wait.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The doom guy looks like the Wolfenstein guy, a coincidence? there is an explanation and both are related? Or they didn't bother changing characters?

Nov 4, 2018
If all this Doom lore is blowing you peoples' minds, it's been heavily hinted and theorized that
Doom Slayer (2016&Eternal) and Doomguy (1,2,&64) are the same person, not a rebooted marine like Doom 3.

Oct 25, 2017
I never really was that invested in Doom's 2016 lore to be honest, but I'm loving that artwork and demon designs.

If anything seeing those scans makes me want to get the artbook.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
His face is a pretty great modern version of the original sprite.

I like it alot.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So how will this Easter Egg from 2016 fit in? Is it canon?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense that Doom 2016 has the same final boss as the first Doom and Eternal has the same final boss as the second. Nice.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In my headcanon this is a crossover between doom eternal and God Of War 37
lol. Punished Kratos. Also, the music playing is basically the victory/ending music from the original game. So awesome.
So how will this Easter Egg from 2016 fit in? Is it canon?

As discussed earlier in the thread, it's either dormant or another Titan and not the Icon.