• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Jesus this looks amazing. I hope they add a ton of travesal option and hidden secrets. I had a fun time exploring the last DOOM.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This looks really good. I'm not sure if all the extras like the grappling hook, swinging and climbing will take away from the "pure" shooter-y feel of the first new Doom, but I'm very optimistic. First one was fantastic.

Now id, since you're probably reading this, can we please have a Doom sale on all platforms so I can double-dip for mobile play?

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
MY GOD that looks amazing! The fobos intro was pure hilarity and the sword at the end was sooo damn badass!

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe I am reading too much into this but the logo on the left is Quake 2 logo:
FknSOLz.jpg

Could the BFG 10 000 be shooting at a Strong spaceship trying to invade earth? (Maybe even the demons from Quake 1 as well) It would probably make sense considering the "earth is a melting pot" comment. If we get a god damn Nailgun in this game...
Wow. Gameplay footage was great ... and plentiful!

Makes me wish hard that id will give the same treatment to the Ranger and the Quake 1 universe, in all of its Lovecraftian, space medieval, slipgatein' glory.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
The last Doom was one of the first FPS I overwhelmingly enjoyed so I'm definitely down for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
After Bethesda and its studio goes full bore anti alt/far right and "Fuck fascism and nazi ideologies!" with Wolfenstein 2 marketing + game content now Bethesda is running to them and asking for their support?

That makes absolutely no sense.

Edit: Wasn't there people, here too, that heavily disliked that they went so political with it?
That's why I say I'd be extremely surprised, all their recent games have been full of challenging, progressive ideas and themes and haven't been shy about their artistic freedom just because the whiny Gamergate boys cried.

Are you a civil engineer? Because that's an incredible bridge you just built.

The joke is that the voice is trying to calm citizens of Earth despite there being literal demons invading. It ties back to the desires of the last game's antagonist to have Demons and Humans merge in both physiology and society.

Of course, this forum has managed to take offence to such a ridiculous concept.
Raising an eyebrow is not being offended. You sound offended. I raise an eyebrow at the fact those two lines use expressions that can very easily be associated with the strawmen/dogwhistles that the right makes of progressive ideas. Then again, maybe that's the point in an ironic way. Only time will tell.

Gotta agree with you there. I'm a big fan of doom and the work of id software in general, but in the current political climate I don't think it is far fetched that, out of context---and that's what these gameplay clips naturally are---these lines can rub somebody the wrong way. At least I had to raise an eyebrow when I heard them. That said, I hope that these worries will be nullified in the full game.

What also plays a role is that, even when not taking these concerns into account, both lines are just really lazy jokes.
This, being out of context it's really hard to judge, but it did make me raise an eyebrow.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Makes me wish hard that id will give the same treatment to the Ranger and the Quake 1 universe, in all of its Lovecraftian, space medieval, slipgatein' glory.

There's no doubt in my mind that a Quake reboot is happening. Over the past couple of years, Bethesda/id has:

- Released a Machine Games-developed anniversary expansion for the original game to celebrate it turning 20
- Added Scrags to Blood Covenant in Quake Champions despite the map being a remake of pro-q3dm6
- Included a bite-size, arcade-esque version of the original game in last year's official DreamHack Winter QC tournament stream so viewers had something to do while waiting for the next match
- Renamed the official Quake Champions channel on Twitch to just "Quake"
- Added Death Knight to the Quake Champions roster with this year's pre-QuakeCon patch

Also, you may find this interesting. ;)

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good. I'm not sure if all the extras like the grappling hook, swinging and climbing will take away from the "pure" shooter-y feel of the first new Doom, but I'm very optimistic. First one was fantastic.

Now id, since you're probably reading this, can we please have a Doom sale on all platforms so I can double-dip for mobile play?
They said at the conference that all Bethesda games are going on sale, up to 75%

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
For my humble opinion, nothing out of what I expected (except the Hookshot).

They nailed the first one, this one it's just bigger.

One thing that really annoyed me was the HUD. The older was minimal and well blended. This one its screaming at the screen saying: "LOOK I'M HERE".

Not a fan of it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So when Hugo Martin says "places you've never been to before in a doom game". How purposeful do we think that setence is? Particularly the emphasis on saying "doom game before"?

Is doom guy going to go through a slip gate at some point and end up in lovecraftian quake?!

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I hadn't noticed the bodies of enemies being blown apart as you fight them, but going back over the footage now after reading some of the notes people have made...yeah, this looks juicy. Doom 2016 was the successor I had never dared to dream would ever be made. iD nailed it, and now it looks like they're improving and refining that formula even more.

I squealed when I saw the classic look for the Plasma Rifle. I'm not too proud to admit it. Bravo!

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Okay I take back what I said. Game looks unbelievable now that I'm watching that PC footage.

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017
The only mild concern I have for the title is the potential it might be held back in terms of monster count or possibly speed. I'm still a little spoiled with the OG Dooms as far as those go vs new games. I loved Doom 2016, but wasn't a fan of the need to glory kill so often. I think they're going in the right direction with that in this one- that should help pick up the pace a smidge. Excited, looking forward to giving it a go.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May
be I am reading too much into this but the logo on the left is Quake 2 logo:
FknSOLz.jpg

Could the BFG 10 000 be shooting at a Strong spaceship trying to invade earth? (Maybe even the demons from Quake 1 as well) It would probably make sense considering the "earth is a melting pot" comment. If we get a god damn Nailgun in this game...
Nice catch. The big gun on Phobos also looks kind of similar to the Big Gun in Quake 2..

Here is the intro cinematic where you also can see some similarities in the area around as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Doom and Quake universe are alraedy kind of connected, no?

Anyway, the gameplay was great, but I really dug into the lore aspect of the presentation. Doom was very fast paced so it was easy to miss just how detailed, beautiful and interesting the world around you was. Very excited to see where they will take the story. Also very cool to see humanity fighting back.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice catch. The big gun on Phobos also looks kind of similar to the Big Gun in Quake 2..

Here is the intro cinematic where you also can see some similarities in the area around as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94
Yeah this might be a similiar one. Not to mention that if the Strogg is in the game then this might be the origina of that gun.
Doom and Quake universe are alraedy kind of connected, no?

Anyway, the gameplay was great, but I really dug into the lore aspect of the presentation. Doom was very fast paced so it was easy to miss just how detailed, beautiful and interesting the world around you was. Very excited to see where they will take the story. Also very cool to see humanity fighting back.
Yeah they are connected. Quake III is about heroes from many different universes/dimensions getting sucked into the arena to fight each other. Doom 4 has some lore about Doom guy going through hell and about dimension traveling (the plot of Quake 1 ties heavily into this) so it is pretty much canon.

Somebody mentioned some of the demons has the Strogg logo so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are demonic undead from the Strogg, kind of like the revenant is a demonic human.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you need to take a deep breath and calm down. The messages are so tongue in cheek that the tongue is poking through the cheek. Just look at the ones from the previous game:

Should you be asked to submit yourself to an interrogation program or experimental treatment, you are expected to comply without question. If a fellow advocate asks you to engage in a dedication ceremony, say yes! If you see an advocate doubting their role at the UAC, bring it to the attention of an Enforcer so that they might receive the help they need. Don't be selfish. Tier 2 is for everyone.

New members might want to consider applying for an exclusive "team tattoo" upon joining as a sign of faith in our science. Team tattoos are a mark of your tireless work at the UAC, and can be requested by signing up for any of the Lazarus Wave case studies. Please contact a Tier 3 Advanced Weaponry Technician to fill in your application for a Pentagram brand today!

If there is no obvious escape route and you have powered down your equipment, give yourself over to the demon willingly. Studies have shown that infuriating a demon by running away can cause additional frustration in the predator, and that may result in your body being too badly mutilated for useful post mortem study. Simply kneel down, close your eyes, and wait. Remember you can be as useful in death as you are in life.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, is like seeing playing a different game. I played first Doom on PS4 and PC and there's like a world of difference. Maybe in other shooters not so much, but in Doom it's combat mechanics works way better on mouse/KB.
eh, I still played with controller on PC. With an Elite controller (or standard controller with the layout that puts jump on LB) it still feels much better to me. Had a blast playing through on Ultra Violence.

Since it's single player, M/KB really isn't needed. Just make sure you can jump and aim at the same time.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is exactly what I wanted out of a sequel. I'm thrilled. The combat looks even more fast and furious than the last. Fuck, I cannot wait.

Oct 26, 2017

The joke is that the voice is trying to calm citizens of Earth despite there being literal demons invading. It ties back to the desires of the last game's antagonist to have Demons and Humans merge in both physiology and society.

Yeah, I took it as the UAC trying to normalize demons by using HR terms and trying to compare demonic invasion to harmless immigration to calm everyone. It's less about making fun of/criticizing those phrases and more based in satirizing corporate PR.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh, I still played with controller on PC. With an Elite controller (or standard controller with the layout that puts jump on LB) it still feels much better to me. Had a blast playing through on Ultra Violence.

Since it's single player, M/KB really isn't needed. Just make sure you can jump and aim at the same time.

I used L1 for jump on PS4. I mean, it plays fine on controller, but I think the combat truly shines on mouse/KB combo, you can be way more agile and deadly, so ultimately more fun, that way.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for playing the first game and getting the humor lol. They had stuff in the first game about the company telling its employees to volunteer for demonic possession etc, and the steps to take in case of a demon interaction (sticking your head between your legs). The entire point of the 'evil corporation' is to show how fucked up some people and companies can downplay the significance of human suffering, but cranked to 11 by making them rationalize a literal invasion from Hell. They're lead by a guy named S. Hayden for crying out loud, its not exactly a subtle thing.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of you need to take a deep breath and calm down. The messages are so tongue in cheek that the tongue is poking through the cheek. Just look at the ones from the previous game:
Thank you for posting this.

It seems a lot of people don't know that the demons kind of "brainwashed" mankind into wanting to serve them and accept them or that it was at least the UAC goal to make them co-exist/merge.

Did some of you watch "better of ted"? Veridian Dynamics feels like a predecessor to the UAC lol.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

Alex Jones tin foil hat level stupidity going on in this thread. Some of you need to go outside for a bit and get away from the keyboard.
These concerns were brought up in the other thread about the gameplay reveal as well.

It's not "stupidity". Sometimes things are read differently from how the developers intended. These things happen. The fact that people on RE read it that way suggests that others, who perhaps have less charitable intentions, can read it that way as well. It's something worth noting.

Being able to extrapolate developer intent from context doesn't mean everyone else is just "wrong". Death of the Author, and all that.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These concerns were brought up in the other thread about the gameplay reveal as well.

It's not "stupidity". Sometimes things are read differently from how the developers intended. These things happen. The fact that people on RE read it that way suggests that others, who perhaps have less charitable intentions, can read it that way as well. It's something worth noting.

Being able to extrapolate developer intent from context doesn't mean everyone else is just "wrong". Death of the Author, and all that.
Yeah I'm just gonna say it's stupidity.

There's reading something wrong and then there's conspiracy theories about id software hiding Facist messages in their games. Like I said: these people need to put the keyboard down and go see the sun for a bit.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm just gonna say it's stupidity.

There's reading something wrong and then there's conspiracy theories about id software hiding Facist messages in their games. Like I said: these people need to put the keyboard down and go see the sun for a bit.
"Conspiracy theories" my ass. Are you even reading the words that these people are typing?

Obviously not, but hey, keep digging that hole I guess.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Everything about this looks pretty amazing but this does seem to be a radical change for DOOM combat wise. The dashing and grappling hook seem like a bit of a departure.

Loving even more nods to the classics like the blue health vials, original shotgun guys, etc.

Graphics and art are phenomenal.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keep digging that hole I guess.
Considering one would have to dig a hole through reality to come to the conclusions they are I'm pretty sure it's not me that's doing the digging. Now whether or not those holes are into their own brains or through spacetime remains to be seen, but something tells me I should have my bet on the former.