• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
In the fortress you can unlock the Sentinel outfit, the 2016 suit, and original Doomguy.

If you've got the recent releases of Doom 1-3 and have connected them to Bethesda.net, you get more Doomguy color variants and some unique titles and icons. The deluxe edition had some skins, and then you can unlock more through milestones and the series pass (or whatever you call it).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Finished it... I don't know man, the game is for sure excellent but I have mixed impressions, I think gameplay is completely better here but level design and story I believe I liked 2016 better. I'm tempted to play that one again to know for sure but I'm sure I'll miss the dash quite a lot...

Oct 27, 2017
I think my brain is too dumb to ever let me get good at Marauders

it takes a lot of practice, but super shotty and ballista on quick swap will work wonders for you- I wasn't made aware of that until towards the end of the game which would've saved a lot of pain. The hardest part then is just timing the green eyed counter but if you can stagger him you can swap and get two solid hits, the first from the shotty to stagger and a really good damage hit from the ballista.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I don't think I can go back to playing 2016. Not being able to dash, ice bomb, blood punch, aim for weak points... it's hard to imagine Doom without these things now.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game and I'm playing back through levels to do slayer gates, I really don't have a way to save mid-mission (in an earlier level) and come back? Pretty annoying oversight

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the second secret encounter in Cultist Base. Not at all.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the SS-Ballsita cheese doesn't get nerfed in any way. This is a top tier combo and makes fighting big baddies even more enjoyable.
Weapon swapping is one of the things Hugo Martin was talking up a bunch prerelease as one of those mechanics they knew felt good and wanted to encourage players to do. 100% intentional.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
THIS IS THE WORST!!

I'm on mission 6 and my last encounter is glitched. I beat it and the gate opened up for me to walk to the portal but it's not registering as being beaten. There's still red corruption in the arena but there's no enemies.

Even after I
shoot the BFG at the last enemies that spawn as you walk towards the Ion Catapult, the game still doesn't think I cleared it :((

I've been 100% every level I encountered so far on nightmare and now I'm gonna have to replay this whole level again. Fuck

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
it's really great to lose a secret encounter against a marauder because the rng means he doesn't blink enough to counter, and then when i finally get him within 30 seconds, i instinctively hit the glory kill button and it fails me because the animation itself lasts a second longer than the time limit

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've *finally* made it to the last area of the game. Kind of hard to tell with this one -- environment looks like Halo, kinda. This game is so fucking good, but it's insanely exhausting to play for large bouts of time.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does anybody know if the weapon masteries can be farmed on the Ripatorium? Some of them are super hard to get the normal way.

I'm looking at you, plasma shockwave.

Yes, you get credit toward them for any combat encounter you do in the game, and that even includes the Ripatorium or just reloading checkpoints over and over mid-mission.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Going back through the OST and am pleased to see Doom Eternal Soundtrack is the first search suggestion, even before just "Doom Eternal".

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game tonight. I love the way the combat flows in this game much more than Doom 2016.

The biggest problem I have is how much the game makes you feel like a scared baby running for your life instead of the badass Doom Slayer. After you get fully upgraded, you finally have a decent amount of ammo but then you are flooded with enemies in tight spaces. I like the way you need to procure ammo/armor/health but not how often you need to do it.

The Marauder angered me a lot the first time I faced him but he became easier over the next hundred times. The problem is that he requires full attention, which you can't give in later scenarios. So on top of the usual loop of obtaining the necessities, you need to run away from him until it's just you and fodder enemies. Again, not the badass Doom Slayer feel.

The last two bosses were trash. Gimmicky as hell, glitchy, and too long for their own good.

That said, I really loved the majority of the game and even most of the platforming. The swimming was annoying because suits degrade too fast even upgraded, which led to annoying trial and error dives. I think with some tweaks to ammo levels, Marauder encounters and boss fight length, it could be a damn masterpiece.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yo, the Doom Hunter fight is amazing
For the first round, I was completely overwhelmed. Dude was tearing me a new one left and right until I got into the groove of wearing him down with hit and run tactics before the rocket launcher eats him alive once that barrier falls for good

Once round two started, I totally panicked. Two at once? That's so unfair! And then I beat it on my first attempt because at this point, they're not even scary, I was more worried about the trash mobs swarming me half the time

That's such a well designed fight, the first phase teaches you exactly how to deal with the second. It's soooo good.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yo, the Doom Hunter fight is amazing
For the first round, I was completely overwhelmed. Dude was tearing me a new one left and right until I got into the groove of wearing him down with hit and run tactics before the rocket launcher eats him alive once that barrier falls for good

Once round two started, I totally panicked. Two at once? That's so unfair! And then I beat it on my first attempt because at this point, they're not even scary, I was more worried about the trash mobs swarming me half the time

That's such a well designed fight, the first phase teaches you exactly how to deal with the second. It's soooo good.
I missed that their lower half is unshielded, I died more than a couple of times trying to plasma rifle their shield away.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gonna have to hop on the fuck the marauders train. I'm putting the game aside. If they had shown up earlier in the game I might have refunded. But I'm stuck with it now.

He ruins the feel of the game. It would be better off without him beyond the first fight.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I ran into the marauder for the first time and got killed. Respawned(not using a 1up) and he somehow died instantly within seconds. I don't even know if I hit him and couldn't find any body. He was just there and then dead lol. But my god was that fight bullshit

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I think every time I run into Marauders from now on I'm going to just turn it down to easy. Fuck that.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.
The final boss is just a mess of physics bugs.
Finally destroyed all his armor, and then I suddenly go flying at 100mph, get stuck to a wall, and promptly killed by an add.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

I'm going off as the slayer. I think all the unbalanced sentiments that were made earlier aren't nearly as bad as I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative started saying demons need a buff.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
It's strange that the terminal logs in the Arc Complex level are dated 2163, which would mean that the Earth survived about 13 years after being invaded. I find that a bit hard to believe?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
If you linked your Bethesda account to Twitch Prime you can claim the Doomicorn skin and Magic Meadow background now.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yea.... Whoever said that the purple sludge areas were sparse was fucking lying. There is an entire stage pretty much dedicated to that shit. And then they drop tanky as fuck enemies on top of you that can hop on your ass like a jumping tarantula. That is not my idea of difficulty. I am a fucking super soldier guy who can near fucking fly and punch demon's heads off.... But I get stuck once I step in purple chewing gum? Wtf is is this garbage??

Also. Yea the marauders. I dusted his ass but that fight was not fun. He really does break the flow. He looks so awkward. He moves like he doesn't belong in this game. I didn't realize we let fucking bleach characters in here. Flash stepping and shit. Wtf is he on?

Usually tanky enemies have some mechanic where you can weaken them by targeting certain points of their armor/body. With him. You have to literally trigger his ai to use melee. It feels cheap. That's the only opening besides behind the back rocket explosions. Otherwise? No melee? No damage. Motherfuck.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

I'm going off as the slayer. I think all the unbalanced sentiments that were made earlier aren't nearly as bad as I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative started saying demons need a buff.

I think the slayer should usually win, the ballista and rocket launcher are super good in that mode. But I can't get the bad taste of the netcode out of my mouth to get into it that much, when you're the demon and just get clapped by a ballista for most of your HP when you're behind a wall it's just like...no.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the slayer should usually win, the ballista and rocket launcher are super good in that mode. But I can't get the bad taste of the netcode out of my mouth to get into it that much, when you're the demon and just get clapped by a ballista for most of your HP when you're behind a wall it's just like...no.

Netcode is in a really bad spot. I've resorted to doing private lobbies. I still think cooldowns for both teams could be tweaked but now at least I'm more confident with the slayer.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I finally get the flow of Doom Eternal's combat and how it's basically resource management of health, shields, and ammo. This game rocks.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
If you linked your Bethesda account to Twitch Prime you can claim the Doomicorn skin and Magic Meadow background now.
Saw those and equipped them. There's a whole series of things you can unlock, apparently.

Any idea how to unlock the rest of the Doomicorn series? I'm guessing there's challenges to do so but I don't see anything.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Tried a few matches of battle mode today. It's a fun mode with a some depth but a good slayer can obliterate the 2 player demons. The teamwork with the demons is great but the game on PS4 lags frequently.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also wondering if you can unlock some of the Ultra-Nightmare cosmetic stuff (like the Phobos outfit) by beating the game and using cheats. Pretty sure you can.

I was thinking about this too. I'd want to use the weapon mastery cheat because most of my deaths happen trying to complete challenges.
The loading screens say the only draw back is no access to slayer gates which I think I wouldn't even try

Edit: Nevermind that, i've just realized you can only enable cheats on missions you've beat

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I just did one of the optional battle challenges (not a key challenge) in stage 3 and got beaten to a bloody pulp inside of 5 seconds.

These seem... much less well designed than the gore nests in the first game. I feel like the enemies in Eternal fire projectiles much more aggressively than the ones in Doom 2016, don't get staggered as easily by explosives or vanilla shotgun, and are much more likely to ratfuck you in a corner in some of these confined arenas.

Maybe the combat loop just isn't clicking the same way it was in the first game but thus far I'm not a huge fan of the rebalance.

Not a fan of the second secret encounter in Cultist Base. Not at all.

What this guy said.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished out all the single player achievements, on to the multiplayer stuff now. I gotta say km enjoying battle mode more than I thought I would. Playing as the demons is really fun, I think the pain elemental is my favorite so far.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Not sure if I somehow missed it, but is the Archvile cutscene from the trailer not in the game? I never encountered it during my first play through, with the archvile just kind of unceremoniously showing up as an enemy at a certain point... same with the Tyrant.