• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Damn! I'm doing my first playthrough on Nightmare and just attempted the first Slayer Gate. I assume these are meant to be dealt with after you've gotten some upgrades and shit? Saw an enemy in there that I've never seen before in the campaign lol. If you tell me no and that they're meant to be handled as you get to them, then I shall stay here as long as it takes!!!

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Damn! I'm doing my first playthrough on Nightmare and just attempted the first Slayer Gate. I assume these are meant to be dealt with after you've gotten some upgrades and shit? Saw an enemy in there that I've never seen before in the campaign lol. If you tell me no and that they're meant to be handled as you get to them, then I shall stay here as long as it takes!!!
I mean they are still doable, but you can always go back and finish them. In my first playthrough I skipped some, but in my nightmare playthrough I was like "fuck it i'll do them now". I do feel they get easier in later levels, peak difficulty to me is the 2 Tyrants one because you have less shit to deal with them.

Oct 25, 2017

They're all possible as you come across them, even on nightmare.
It's much more satisfying beating them then too

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I mean they are still doable, but you can always go back and finish them. In my first playthrough I skipped some, but in my nightmare playthrough I was like "fuck it i'll do them now". I do feel they get easier in later levels, peak difficulty to me is the 2 Tyrants one because you have less shit to deal with them.

They're all possible as you come across them, even on nightmare.
It's much more satisfying beating them then too

Well shit, I've heard enough then. I won't leave until it's done. This might be the longest Doom game ever for me and thank you for the quick responses! Bring it!!

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Master levels even on Ultra Violence are no joke lol. I can't imagine this shit on nightmare.

But I've got to hand it to ID software — even after beating the entire game twice (HMP and UV), and now tackling the master levels, I can still feel my skill improving measurably and enjoyably with this game all the time. Gameplay wise, they knocked this shit out of the park. I'm also adverse to replaying video games, and this thing has got me thinking about a third playthrough on Nightmare.

Last edited:

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It took me almost an hour to do that one on nightmare and I did it the first time playing that level.

Keep at it!!

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Already posted?

Original Archvile entrance is still the game.
God, I wish one day Hugo Martin will be free to talk about what the fuck happened during the development of this game.

What do you mean? This the best development for a Doom game in decades, it's gone way better than Doom 3 and Doom 2016

You think they removed the demon introductions because of some development trouble or technical difficulties?

They do it because it interrupts and kills the flow of gameplay, we don't need a super dramatic introduction for all the demons like in Doom 3 or Doom 2016, I'm glad they went with the classic route which is let the gameplay do the presentation & magic

It's might not be as ''cool'' but it's way more beneficial to the gameplay and a lot more immersive to the world building

When new demons just shows up in gameplay it gives player genuine curiosity and wonder like ''woah what is THAT?'' where if you introduce them with cutscene it adds nothing but eye candy and puts way too much fabricated spot light on the new demon

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
People have already replied to you, and while you can play them whenever you'd like, I think you should definitely try to beat them as you come to them.

As I think Xtortion had said earlier in the thread and the comparison I whole-heartedly agree with, they are essentially DOOM Eternal's version of the Special K (lol) levels from Retro's DKC games. Segments that you can come back to after you have "leveled up" your skill within the game, but really should be played as you get to them as a true test of your skill at that point.

They are all fully manageable at the point you reach them, and yeah, they give you early teases of later enemies and the game's ramp up in challenge.
Master levels even on Ultra Violence are no joke lol. I can't imagine this shit on nightmare.

But I've got to hand it to ID software — even after beating the entire game twice (HMP and UV), and now tackling the master levels, I can still feel my skill improving measurably and enjoyably with this game all the time. Gameplay wise, they knocked this shit out of the park. I'm also adverse to replaying video games, and this thing has got me thinking about a third playthrough on Nightmare.
I did my first playthrough on UV and thought it was pretty tough. The jump from it to Nightmare is quite the leap honestly and pretty noticeable.

Haven't done any of the master level edits yet, but am excited to see what those are like.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
People have already replied to you, and while you can play them whenever you'd like, I think you should definitely try to beat them as you come to them.

As I think Xtortion had said earlier in the thread and the comparison I whole-heartedly agree with, they are essentially DOOM Eternal's version of the Special K (lol) levels from Retro's DKC games. Segments that you can come back to after you have "leveled up" your skill within the game, but really should be played as you get to them as a true test of your skill at that point.

They are all fully manageable at the point you reach them, and yeah, they give you early teases of later enemies and the game's ramp up in challenge.

I did my first playthrough on UV and thought it was pretty tough. The jump from it to Nightmare is quite the leap honestly and pretty noticeable.

Haven't done any of the master level edits yet, but am excited to see what those are like.
Yep. Each rise in difficulty requires a fundamentally higher mastery of the games systems — from HMP to UV was also a size able leap that made me much better at the game (despite some growing pains and adjustments) — but the learning curve is mostly very enjoyable, which is much unlike most games I've played.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
God damn I love battle mode, but stomping all over demon teams is going to make people quit... which makes me sad. This game might be too hard for a large segment of the audience.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
What do you mean? This the best development for a Doom game in decades, it's gone way better than Doom 3 and Doom 2016

You think they removed the demon introductions because of some development trouble or technical difficulties?

They do it because it interrupts and kills the flow of gameplay, we don't need a super dramatic introduction for all the demons like in Doom 3 or Doom 2016, I'm glad they went with the classic route which is let the gameplay do the presentation & magic

It's might not be as ''cool'' but it's way more beneficial to the gameplay and a lot more immersive to the world building

When new demons just shows up in gameplay it gives player genuine curiosity and wonder like ''woah what is THAT?'' where if you introduce them with cutscene it adds nothing but eye candy and puts way too much fabricated spot light on the new demon

I'm playing Doom 2016 right now, and there were no intros to the hell Knight or summoner.

I miss intros like from Doom 3.

Also, I like Doom 2016 better. No platforming, no Maurauder. Everything just flows better.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Doom Eternal has the better combat, once I absorbed the lesson of how to actually fight the Marauder (Seriously, the tooltip is bogus) he became part of the flow.

I will say that the platforming really only bothered me towards the end.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did them as I came across them on nightmare as well. Honestly I felt like the second one was the hardest and the first can be a bit of a struggle at first. Just comes down to not being that beefed up yet and getting the hang of the new systems

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The later Slayer Gates were definitely easier
"beefing up" didn't help so much because you can still die in very few hits on nightmare but knowing the enemies and having so much mobility later made fights easier in general.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The first slayer gate kicked my ass repeatedly on UV. I one shot everything after it though.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Here's a video going into detail how to deal with him (and also addressing people's complains about Marauder):
www.youtube.com

DOOM ETERNAL - Responding to SKILLUP and UPPER ECHELON (and others) on The Marauder

#doometernal #bethesda #idsoftware*Thanks so much for the support everyone! Please subscribe as I'll be producing a lot more content! - Popular gaming/review...

LMAO at the quotes from other content creators.
Marauder truly exposes alot of people not understanding the core philosophy of the combat.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
God damn I love battle mode, but stomping all over demon teams is going to make people quit... which makes me sad. This game might be too hard for a large segment of the audience.

Both singleplayer and multiplayer seems way too hardcore even for a Doom game, honestly I love it

This is the first Doom game that really pushes you to constantly swap weapons and use tactics, this is also the first Doom game where weapon combo is genuinely encouraged with enemy types like the Whiplash and the Marauder

In Doom 2016 weapon swapping and weapon combo are merely just for style, you can beat the game just fine using only two or three guns
Part of the reason why I rarely replay Doom 2016 is because everytime I do something cool or skillful I feel like I'm just taking extra steps to show off, since all I need to do is to either spam the super shotgun or the gauss cannon, it gives everything a ''unnecessary'' feel which I really hate

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think I can go back to a Doom game without dashes and overt weakpoint exploitation and enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed Eternal.

Also, after beating this game on Hurt Me Plenty and getting about 1/4 through it again on Ultra Violence, I'm hard pressed to imagine any known game releasing in the remainder of 2020 that's gonna match my personal fun from this game. I love it.

I'll also note when it comes to tone/story that I'm MOSTLY tuned out, with my only real investment in the storytelling of the game really relying on seeking that impression that you're an unstoppable demon-killing machine... and honestly, even in the generally limited cutscenes it has, the game absolutely delivers on that front. I'm not really reading the codex or trying to fill in the backstory from only what is happening in the cutscenes, though, so I generally feel like the entire story is generally about as out-of-the-way as 2016 and it really just continues to sell the idea that the Doom Slayer is one defiant and determined sonuva bitch that really can't get enough killing demons.

There's a lot left about 2020 releases we don't know, as I feel we naturally seem to only know the majority of releases about 6 months out, but I'm pretty sure Eternal ranks very highly for me this year.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Both singleplayer and multiplayer seems way too hardcore even for a Doom game, honestly I love it

This is the first Doom game that really pushes you to constantly swap weapons and use tactics, this is also the first Doom game where weapon combo is genuinely encouraged with enemy types like the Whiplash and the Marauder

In Doom 2016 weapon swapping and weapon combo are merely just for style, you can beat the game just fine using only two or three guns
Part of the reason why I rarely replay Doom 2016 is because everytime I do something cool or skillful I feel like I'm just taking extra steps to show off, since all I need to do is to either spam the super shotgun or the gauss cannon, it gives everything a ''unnecessary'' feel which I really hate

I couldn't go back to 2016 now, eternal is just so much better.

Doom eternal has done to me for shooters what DMC5 did for character action games... now everything else is just too slow/not good enough.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The Marauder is fucking terrible precisely because he breaks up the combat loop by regressing the flexibility and openness of the game systems to singular combos or functions that must be conquered in order to progress. It's the same with the purple sludge before you get the super shotgun; you're stuck in the sludge moving slowly, can't dash can't jump, until you can find away out. It functionally does nothing interesting at all, except take away game systems. The argument is this in itself provides challenge, which is true, but is a poor way to do so in my opinion. Similarly for the Marauder. His combo loop isn't hard, his window is easy to predict, but he's built with such an obnoxious set of strict engagement requirements that fighting him is unlike fighting any other enemy in the game. You have to play the fight on his terms, you have to space yourself correctly, and you have to use the combo window or exploit splash damage to beat him. He exists for no reason other than to push the player in the middle of encounters, and he alone is not fun to fight due to the boring, rigid simplicity of his formula. So in the end he is frustrating at worst for how he disorientates the player with his incredible speed, strength, health, damage, and everything else, and boring at best as when left alone it's repeated one-two-punch combo repeated over and over and over until he's dead.

Regressing game systems for challenge is not fun. I complained earlier that the combat felt rigid, and I was advised that it feels less so as you get more gear and power up. This advice was absolutely right. Marauder is the antithesis to this philosophy by explicitly regressing the combat system. It's like if Gracious and Glorious didn't just take away witch time, but could only be damaged with one specific combo and none of the others. It'd make their encounters super fucking boring and rigid. That's the Marauder. Should have been cut.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Whats up with the dead zone on the left stick? Who thought this was a good idea? Anyway to change it?

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The Marauder is fucking terrible precisely because he breaks up the combat loop by regressing the flexibility and openness of the game systems to singular combos or functions that must be conquered in order to progress. It's the same with the purple sludge before you get the super shotgun; you're stuck in the sludge moving slowly, can't dash can't jump, until you can find away out. It functionally does nothing interesting at all, except take away game systems. The argument is this in itself provides challenge, which is true, but is a poor way to do so in my opinion. Similarly for the Marauder. His combo loop isn't hard, his window is easy to predict, but he's built with such an obnoxious set of strict engagement requirements that fighting him is unlike fighting any other enemy in the game. You have to play the fight on his terms, you have to space yourself correctly, and you have to use the combo window or exploit splash damage to beat him. He exists for no reason other than to push the player in the middle of encounters, and he alone is not fun to fight due to the boring, rigid simplicity of his formula. So in the end he is frustrating at worst for how he disorientates the player with his incredible speed, strength, health, damage, and everything else, and boring at best as when left alone it's repeated one-two-punch combo repeated over and over and over until he's dead.

Regressing game systems for challenge is not fun. I complained earlier that the combat felt rigid, and I was advised that it feels less so as you get more gear and power up. This advice was absolutely right. Marauder is the antithesis to this philosophy by explicitly regressing the combat system. It's like if Gracious and Glorious didn't just take away witch time, but could only be damaged with one specific combo and none of the others. It'd make their encounters super fucking boring and rigid. That's the Marauder. Should have been cut.

The Marauder fucking sucks. Great breakdown as to why.

Especially the italics. His presence completely changes the rules of engagement in ways that have never been seen before.

DOOM is a simple formula: shoot it until it dies. One change I noticed from 2016 is that shielded enemies can be overcharged with the plasma rifle. GOOD.

(Gracious and Glorious do too)

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The Marauder fucking sucks. Great breakdown as to why.

Especially the italics. His presence completely changes the rules of engagement in ways that have never been seen before.

DOOM is a simple formula: shoot it until it dies. One change I noticed from 2016 is that shielded enemies can be overcharged with the plasma rifle. GOOD.

(Gracious and Glorious do too)

Do you mean Gracious and Glorious suck? Because I love them, due to how they don't really break the rules of engagement. They take away your crutch, Witch Time, but every other function of the game still works. Dodging is still essential, they're comboable and can be juggled, they're weak to all the same things every other enemy is weak to, including execution attacks. I think that's why I like them; super tough, super high pressure, and take away your biggest crutch, but Bayonetta is about so much more than just Witch Time to Win that I find those two put just the right amount of unexpected pressure on in an engagement but allow you to use everything else you've got just as before.

Marauder just doesn't. Every encounter with him, for me, consisted of thinning out everything else and then repeating the same combat loop over and over, using the same guns that did the best damage (super shotgun and railgun for me) and following the same formula. Positioning in the arenas didn't really matter, so much as positioning to him in that sweet spot. Secondary weapons and abilities didn't matter, because they almost all had no effect on him. Super dull.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I love the marauder and think he is a fantastic addition to the franchise. I would be incredibly disappointed if they changed anything about him because of the whiners.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think the Marauder is that bad either. I think he's the ultimate pressure unit, essentially the ultimate form of the Hell Knight (Hell Knight -> Dread Knight -> Marauder). He forces the player to always be moving more than any other of the enemy units to the point where the player can't really engage him until they've cleared the arena, unlike the Hell & Dread Knights.

I get that people think he limits a player's response to deal with him and while there is definitely a combo that maximizes effectiveness (grenade + SSG + ballista), other weapons work against him too, in particular remote rockets, mini-missiles and the combat shotty.

He's essentially like this game's Mr. X from the RE2 remake. Some people love that he forces you to move and make his existence in the space priority 1, and some people hate being forced to devote so much attention to one singular unit.

This said, it could be cool if the Plasma Rifle did temporarily disable his shield sans explosion (though this would introduce some inconsistency), which would give the player a tiny window to deal more direct damage before he regenerated it, say something like 5 seconds. But then, if they did that, people would just constantly shield strip him.

My question is, how else do you introduce an enemy unit into the pool that's sole purpose is to force the player into continuous movement that they can't just zero in on and eradicate highly quickly without making them a ridiculous damage sponge? The Dread Knight is already pretty close to that as is, so the Marauder is just the next level of pressure unit in my eyes.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
All this build up for the Marauder and I easily smoke him first try on UV. I did like how he switches up the engagement pattern slightly. Most other enemies haven't really required much thought besides maybe the Doom Hunters.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Doom for me has always been about treating enemies differently, I prioritize and deal in completely different ways with an archvile and say a pinky. on some level I treat a zombie soldier differently than an imp, I treat a lost soul differently than a hell knight, I position myself differently, I use different weapons, it has been like that since doom 1.
I get that the marauder is a special case because he is invulnerable for most of the time, but in many ways he is the culmination of the doom concept, the "gun ballet" that has been built up for decades. saying "shoot at it until it dies" is an incredible reductive and non-understanding way to describe dooms brilliant gunplay.

and most importantly, he is not that bad, good players kill him in seconds and they are incredibly rare, there are like what 7 or 8 in the whole game? and how many waves does the whole game have? again, I really hope they don't listen to the crybabies and change anything about him.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Doom for me has always been about treating enemies differently, I prioritize and deal in completely different ways with an archvile and say a pinky. on some level I treat a zombie soldier differently than an imp, I treat a lost soul differently than a hell knight, I position myself differently, I use different weapons, it has been like that since doom 1.
I get that the marauder is a special case because he is invulnerable for most of the time, but in many ways he is the culmination of the doom concept, the "gun ballet" that has been built up for decades. saying "shoot at it until it dies" is an incredible reductive and non-understanding way to describe dooms brilliant gunplay.

That's also my mindset.
Even if in DOOM 2016 and Eternal I use for the 90% of the time super-shotty, gauss/ballista and rocket launcher, I deal with every single type of demon with a precise distinct approach.
Marauder is just another piece on the chessboard, that requires its own specific calculations.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up mission 9 personally I think the muraders are one of the best designed enemy in a FPS.

You know what enemy is actually poorly designed and actually ruins the pacing of the game? The fucking tentacles
I hated the point early in the game where you get the goo and tentacles as a double wammy... you can't jump/dash away from them and since you dont get the super shotgun until afterwards.

Marauders are fine, one level has one appear right at the beginning of the level so I just reloaded that level/checkpoint and mastered the fight until I had the fight nailed down. I quite enjoy fighting them now, its a nice change from the other monsters you fight.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The marauder discussion just strengthens my feelings that doom eternal's difficulty levels are badly balanced. They should make him more manageable on too young to die and hurt me plenty, and keep him the same for UV and nightmare. Not necessarily by tweaking his health/damage, but to give the players more opening's to hurt him on those difficulty levels. People that like the fight like it is now can play on UV and nightmare and lose nothing like this.

I love the marauder and think he is a fantastic addition to the franchise. I would be incredibly disappointed if they changed anything about him because of the whiners.

and most importantly, he is not that bad, good players kill him in seconds and they are incredibly rare, there are like what 7 or 8 in the whole game? and how many waves does the whole game have? again, I really hope they don't listen to the crybabies and change anything about him.

Insulting people that simply don't like the marauder and have explained themselves by calling them crybabies and whiners just makes you look like an asshole dude.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
That's crazy, Marauder fights are wildly fun and a completely unique element. They force you to play in a different way, that's a good thing!

I can turn the difficulty down and beat him, no worries. It's just a jarring experience, like putting the brakes on with each encounter, since he seems to be only enemy that is actually invincible until you wait for an opening. Other enemies can get hammered at all times but only hammered quickly with specific tactics. With the marauder you're funneled down a very specific tactic like any traditional boss fight. Anyway that's not my point, I was just saying that with all the dissent against the marauder I can see mods being released that remove him entirely and to me, the ability to customise the game how you want, is a good thing!

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video going into detail how to deal with him (and also addressing people's complains about Marauder):
www.youtube.com

DOOM ETERNAL - Responding to SKILLUP and UPPER ECHELON (and others) on The Marauder

#doometernal #bethesda #idsoftware*Thanks so much for the support everyone! Please subscribe as I'll be producing a lot more content! - Popular gaming/review...
Honestly, after finishing the game twice on UV and getting gradually better as levels went on, I think I don't like the Marauder fights that much but that's because I'm simply not very good at them.

He's basically a super intimidating demon version of the Doom Slayer, and while I can usually manage big, varied crowds of demons without problems, I'll instantly get a bit overwhelmed when the Marauder enters the fray. Not the game's fault I think: Doom Eternal is often pretty forgiving with errors or bad readings of enemies attacks. But not so much with the Marauder. So, more than anything, these fights highlights a simple fact: I can beat this game no problem, but I'm not that good at it :D

I'll beat him every time though, but I'll be on the brink of death way more often than usual.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Okay the Khan Makyr boss is actively killing this game for me.

6 health bars. AOE attacks. Fast moving drones. The arena is on fire. Oh, and she heals automatically if you leave her too long.

Angriest I've got at a game in a while.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Okay the Khan Makyr boss is actively killing this game for me.

6 health bars. AOE attacks. Fast moving drones. The arena is on fire. Oh, and she heals automatically if you leave her too long.

Angriest I've got at a game in a while.
use the ballista and the lockon rockets, melts her shield.
after the punch kill 2 drones with headshots, I recommend the slow down rune for that

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After 4 hours I gave up. So much happening on the screen is sorta distracting for me. And I'm not liking combat encounters, it feels like devs weren't even trying to mask combat arenas like they sorta tried in 2016 one. And the speeds and ferocity of the encounters also not to my liking. 2016 one felt like combat was slightly better paced and more deliberate. I might return when Ray tracing patch comes out. Right now I'm really not feeling it.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Honestly, after finishing the game twice on UV and getting gradually better as levels went on, I think I don't like the Marauder fights that much but that's because I'm simply not very good at them.

He's basically a super intimidating demon version of the Doom Slayer, and while I can usually manage big, varied crowds of demons without problems, I'll instantly get a bit overwhelmed when the Marauder enters the fray. Not the game's fault I think: Doom Eternal is often pretty forgiving with errors or bad readings of enemies attacks. But not so much with the Marauder. So, more than anything, these fights highlights a simple fact: I can beat this game no problem, but I'm not that good at it :D

I'll beat him every time though, but I'll be on the brink of death way more often than usual.

My advice is to quickly clear the arena of other enemies first, then take on the marauder. He's too much to handle with other enemies nipping at your heels. When it's 1v1 he's very predictable. Dodge the inevitable energy wave, then whack him when he closes in for a melee attack.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't feel like the Archvile intro was cut at all, looks very explicitly scripted for the trailer in that footage, imo.

Not only because it ends with the Crucible, but also, what exactly would be the challenge of meeting the Archvile after the encounter is done? His whole deal is that he makes the encounter harder if you don't kill him quickly enough, on his own he ain't shit.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Got towards the end and I think I'm over this game. These rooms where the enemies just spawn for 10 minutes straight are so frustrating. Isn't there supposed to be totems doing it? Because I can't find them.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
My advice is to quickly clear the arena of other enemies first, then take on the marauder. He's too much to handle with other enemies nipping at your heels. When it's 1v1 he's very predictable. Dodge the inevitable energy wave, then whack him when he closes in for a melee attack.
Hey thanks. Fortunately he often appears after killing most heavies (with the notable exception of the fight in Taras Nabad, near the Titan). I think my main issue is that I'm not super good at fast switching and I don't always land the SS/ballista combo. A lot of missed opportunities there.

Doing all of the above. Still getting my ass kicked.
It's not en easy fight the first time around, mainly because of the floor-is-lava bit halfway through combat.

To make it a bit less harder, you could try abusing the blue jumper things: once I land a blood punch on the boss, I immediatly look for those, jump, chrono-headshot a drone, get some ammo, get to the nearest jumper and just go up and down while smothering her with rockets until it's time to go SS and grab her.

I don't know if that'll help, but I'm on my third time against her now and I consistently defeat her that way.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Doing all of the above. Still getting my ass kicked.
It started going better for me when I stopped going for precision headshots on the drones and just went with the fire chain + SS combo. If you aim at their head it takes em out too and you don't need to enter precision view or slow down time. Because it's such a chaotic fight I wouldn't land those headshots from afar all the time and that ended up working better for me.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Got towards the end and I think I'm over this game. These rooms where the enemies just spawn for 10 minutes straight are so frustrating. Isn't there supposed to be totems doing it? Because I can't find them.

There is something else doing it. Pay close attention to the enemies. One of them is not like the others.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Do you mean Gracious and Glorious suck? Because I love them, due to how they don't really break the rules of engagement. They take away your crutch, Witch Time, but every other function of the game still works. Dodging is still essential, they're comboable and can be juggled, they're weak to all the same things every other enemy is weak to, including execution attacks. I think that's why I like them; super tough, super high pressure, and take away your biggest crutch, but Bayonetta is about so much more than just Witch Time to Win that I find those two put just the right amount of unexpected pressure on in an engagement but allow you to use everything else you've got just as before.

Marauder just doesn't. Every encounter with him, for me, consisted of thinning out everything else and then repeating the same combat loop over and over, using the same guns that did the best damage (super shotgun and railgun for me) and following the same formula. Positioning in the arenas didn't really matter, so much as positioning to him in that sweet spot. Secondary weapons and abilities didn't matter, because they almost all had no effect on him. Super dull.

They are harder than the bosses. Without which time, I was getting smoked. And yes, I used it as a crutch. I

've never been good at DMC/Bayo/W101 games because they give you all these cool moves and weapons and I just want to mash. But then the enemies interrupt attacks and you got to figure out how to chain without getting hit and all that crap and I can't do, plus I'm probably not using the weapon that I'm supposed to be using for this or that encounter. I just want to press buttons man..

Back to Doom. Psyche.

Remember Sekiro? I'm ambivalent about an easy mode, but I played through that game in its entirety without any help. It was hard, but not insurmountable.

There is only one encounter that breaks the fundamental rules that a game had established throughout the entire time you play. And that's an optional boss.

The Marauder in Doom also breaks the rules of every other enemy, including bosses, and is a frequent enough encounter such that I've gone back to Doom 2016 just because I want to play Doom without such a terrible design interrupting my fun.

Looking forward to mods that just remove the Marauder fights

#MakeDoomFunAgain

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man people really dont like having to backdash 2 or 3 times to fight muaraders do they
Trying again: any easy way to find BFG ammo before I go to Nekravol?
Main menu - > mission select - > enable cheats infinite ammo > start mission > exit to menu > disable cheats > start mission > return to campaign inside restarted mission

should work, you can also fly through levels that have lots of 1 ups and they carry over also. Was kinda annoying having to kill myself over and over to drain them when I used the cheats to go back and do an area that bugged out and didnt clear when I went back to my campaign

Last edited: