• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just reached the point of no return. Overall it's a great game and I loved it, but for me it's not better than Doom 2016.
The swimming, the platforming and the bullet management are really annoying, and the use of the chainsaw and flamethrower feels more like an annoying task to do every 30 seconds in every battle. I was thinking to get the platinum trophy just like I did with Doom 2016, but I'm not feeling it this time.
Also, fuck the Marauders, what a dumb way to kill the pacing of a mission.
I miss the simplicity of Doom 2016.

Last edited:

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love doom 2016, my favorite fps this gen easily. I played only 1 level of this but the resource management is not something I enjoy at all. I dont think the game is that hard but I dont enjoy having to juggle cooldowns in doom. Even if its "only 3".

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought the Marauder was dumb at first, but yeah, I'm pitching in to say that this enemy type is the worst decision in the entire design of the game. You have to kite him and then fight him by himself because only one weapon works against him. And then that weapon probably doesn't even have enough ammunition to kill him. So now you have to chainsaw a "fodder" enemy, probably taking damage along the way

www.youtube.com

Doom Eternal - Can you Kill a Marauder with the Crucible?

Please Subscribe and Support! - http://bit.ly/2iSSV6FFollow DanAllenGaming on:● Twitter - https://www.twitter.com/DanAllenGaming● Facebook - https://www.face...

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
More detail doesn't mean it's easier to visually recognize a shape or an enemy design. Usually the simpler, the more recognizable, as more detail can often means more visual noise, which can be damaging in a very fast paced environment.

I did prefer the more serious tone for enemy design in DOOM 2016, but I think they are more easily distinguish in DOOM Eternal.
Honestly I think I had more trouble distinguishing Prowlers from Imps and Cyber Hell Knights from Barons than I did anything in DOOM 2016.

Like granted the enemy variety in Eternal is absurd so it was bound to happen, but I think they could've done some more work there. Prowlers could've been a brighter purple for instance.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was surprised that after I got that Point of No Return message that there was still 3 fairly large levels left...I was expecting the next level to be the final one

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
so I'm in a battle Chamber on Nabal, i pull out the BFG hit shoot hoping to clear out as much as i can to ease up the tension.............game just shuts off on my PC, full application closed, so damn weird (playing using my XBOX Controller so i didn't hit some wild keyboard binding). Guess that's a sign to stop playing for the night.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Enter a room, kill every big ass monster in the room, two Demon Hunter appears, got their shield down like immediately, drop a BFG and to complete the job... blue screen before they die. 👌

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love how arcadey this game feels, all the way to the item pick ups. Floating guns is much more noticeable than dead bodies holding key cards or guns like 2016. In 2016 I've definitely ran past hunched over bodies holding objectives and it was annoying.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I love that both Doom games are very different experiences.

This franchise has been a breath of fresh air this generation.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Once you get the BFG and stumble on a timed encounter nest, you can use the BFG to obliterate and clear the mission and reload checkpoint to get your ammo back.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
The ONE letdown after finishing the campaign...

That final boss music was weak as hell. The music leading up to the fight in that mission was okay but the actual theme playing during the fight was pretty unmemorable considering how fucking hard the rest of the soundtrack slaps

Other than that, holy shit this game was incredible. Not a single mission in the entire campaign I wouldn't want to replay right now.

Also, regarding the whole Khan Makyr stuff near the end...

Any theories as to what the Makyrs really were? Did they turn into those Imp looking demons gradually due to using Argent energy so much or were they always like that and their whole angelic look was a front? My first impression is that their true form kinda looks like the dead Wraiths from 2016...

Also, since VEGA is revealed to be essentially God and Hayden is the robed guy who gave Doomguy his powers, I wonder who the voice screaming out after Doomguy killed the Khan Makyr was. Considering VEGA's voice changed when he realized he was the Father and it sounded a bit similar, it might be him?

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Just beat it and I love it, especially the lore that id added. I would love a prequel series where you play as Doomguy during his sentinel days, they could even make it an RPG. The only thing I didn't like were the Marauders, fuck them and their goddamn shields. Even on the easiest difficulty they were a pain in the ass.
Also, regarding the whole Khan Makyr stuff near the end...

Any theories as to what the Makyrs really were? Did they turn into those Imp looking demons gradually due to using Argent energy so much or were they always like that and their whole angelic look was a front? My first impression is that their true form kinda looks like the dead Wraiths from 2016...

Also, since VEGA is revealed to be essentially God and Hayden is the robed guy who gave Doomguy his powers, I wonder who the voice screaming out after Doomguy killed the Khan Makyr was. Considering VEGA's voice changed when he realized he was the Father and it sounded a bit similar, it might be him?
I think the voice is The Dark Lord that is mentioned in the codex. He had a deal with the Khan to expand Hell's domain and now she's dead

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I love doom 2016, my favorite fps this gen easily. I played only 1 level of this but the resource management is not something I enjoy at all. I dont think the game is that hard but I dont enjoy having to juggle cooldowns in doom. Even if its "only 3".

I can relate, I don't like running around the map trying to find ammo, it is almost guaranteed that I won't have gas in my chainsaw when I need it.

I played ultra violence and nightmare in the last game without trouble, now I'm getting my ass kicked in most of the arenas in UV, slowly advancing, it's killing the pacing though.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

I think you misunderstood that part.
Vega asks if he's the Father presumably because he just got put into a Makyr computer, he's not actually. The robed figure is not Samuel Hayden, he was a rogue Makyr called Samur.

edit:
Actually I read some of the wiki and you may be partially right, Vega might be derived from the Father's essence and Samuel's new body is hinted at having Makyr tech in it which could've had some Samur reincarnation thing going on. But that really seems the only conclusive things you can draw, I think they're mainly just fun parallels.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It just dawned on me that Taras Nabad as a level is the closest thing to Metroid Prime in years.

Shit this whole damn game is the closest thing to Prime (hectic combat aside). Just more reasons to adore it.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm pretty close to just uninstalling it tbh. Whenever I boot it up and Im on this bridge and the mancubus spawns in front of me, I just dont even want to play it. I was on like, my 11th try in a row, I killed like 3 mancubus, two spiders, a hell knight, a snake lady or two, a couple revenants, a caco demon, I thought I was close and then I accidentally rocketed a revenant that jumped in front of me and immediately alt+f4d cu I dont feel like playing this 10 minute encounter for the 12th time. Fucking TRASH

I was stuck on this one fight since yesterday, I was able to beat it tonight and turned it off because I was exhausted. I advanced one arena, ONE.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty close to just uninstalling it tbh. Whenever I boot it up and Im on this bridge and the mancubus spawns in front of me, I just dont even want to play it. I was on like, my 11th try in a row, I killed like 3 mancubus, two spiders, a hell knight, a snake lady or two, a couple revenants, a caco demon, I thought I was close and then I accidentally rocketed a revenant that jumped in front of me and immediately alt+f4d cu I dont feel like playing this 10 minute encounter for the 12th time. Fucking TRASH

At the expense of sounding glib, have you tried lowering the difficulty? You can change from the setting menu.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Honestly I only had trouble with the Marauder on the bridge, I had to truly learn how to fight him there after, that he appeared in more open enviroments and I know how to kite his axe attack, also the ballista is almost as good as the shotgun against him.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm only a couple levels in but the difficulty is tuned very strangely, especially at the beginning when the game is throwing those mech spider enemies at you while you're still trying to get your sea legs. I had to turn it down because I kept just getting constantly pelted with bullets from imps and soldiers and half the time I have no idea where I'm getting hit from. The encounters just feel very....busy. It's not "bad" but it's a much less elegant introduction to mechanics and enemy types than 2016.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I think you misunderstood that part.
Vega asks if he's the Father presumably because he just got put into a Makyr computer, he's not actually. The robed figure is not Samuel Hayden, he was a rogue Makyr called Samur.

I dunno if I agree, it is heavily implied that VEGA actually is the Father and was stolen by Samur/Samuel from the Makyrs way before the events of Doom 2016. There are a lot of signs pointing to this, such as Hayden talking about places like Urdak as if he had been there before and claiming things would have been different under "different management" when referring to the Khan Mayker, or the fact that Hayden is completely compatible with Makyr tech as seen when he is plugged into the Fortress. Also, both Samur and Samuel have the same voice actor and share a very specific line of dialogue between the two games.

My guess is that Hayden disappeared after stealing the Father and hid from the Makyrs as a human and eventually a robot once he was truck by his unspecified illness, and also repurposed The Father as VEGA at some point.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'm only a couple levels in but the difficulty is tuned very strangely, especially at the beginning when the game is throwing those mech spider enemies at you while you're still trying to get your sea legs. I had to turn it down because I kept just getting constantly pelted with bullets from imps and soldiers and half the time I have no idea where I'm getting hit from. The encounters just feel very....busy.

target the weak points...almost every enemy has one...for those Arachnotron spider creatures shoot the turrets...makes things much easier

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno if I agree, it is heavily implied that VEGA actually is the Father and was stolen by Samur/Samuel from the Makyrs way before the events of Doom 2016. There are a lot of signs pointing to this, such as Hayden talking about places like Urdak as if he had been there before and claiming things would have been different under "different management" when referring to the Khan Mayker, or the fact that Hayden is completely compatible with Makyr tech as seen when he is plugged into the Fortress. Also, both Samur and Samuel have the same voice actor and share a very specific line of dialogue between the two games.

My guess is that Hayden disappeared after stealing the Father and hid from the Makyrs as a human and eventually a robot once he was truck by his unspecified illness, and also repurposed The Father as VEGA at some point.
Check my edit. I don't think it's as cut and dry as this but yeah I definitely missed some stuff, my bad.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Just beat it and I love it, especially the lore that id added. I would love a prequel series where you play as Doomguy during his sentinel days, they could even make it an RPG. The only thing I didn't like were the Marauders, fuck them and their goddamn shields. Even on the easiest difficulty they were a pain in the ass.

I think the voice is The Dark Lord that is mentioned in the codex. He had a deal with the Khan to expand Hell's domain and now she's dead

Oh that's right, completely forgot that we haven't killed
Satan
...yet.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
target the weak points...almost every enemy has one...for those spider creatures shoot the turrets...makes things much easier
I've mostly figured them out, I think I'm just feeling like the game is wanting me to play more defensively which is strange because the last Doom was so much about creating this sense of forward momentum in the encounters. I kinda feel like I'm getting punished for sticking my neck out to look for ammo which I frequently have to do because I'm running completely out. It sounds like the combat gets better as it gives you access to more of your arsenal which I'm looking forward to, but first impressions are I'm kind of just enduring the game until that happens which I'm finding very surprising.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Beat my first marauder fight. Maybe it's because I mentally prepared myself but it wasn't that difficult. Though depending on who he's paired with in future fights I could see it because an issue.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a couple of people mention that in this thread...I don't get it...why are people so offended by that line?

Oh, I am 100% not offended by it, and have no clue why someone would be either. They just keep repeating it over and over, which is a good way to kill a joke.

It got a sensible chuckle out of me the first time. By the tenth time... not so much.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The master levels are so fun, wow. I think the exploration and the platforming were cool on my first time through; it gave the game a good pace and gave me time to digest things. But maaaaan is it a blast to just plow through these levels on replays, hopping from arena to arena. The combat is so satisfying, it has to be the most exciting action game I've ever played.

It's a shame that some people seem to be having so much difficulty with this game, it clicked with me immediately. It's everything I wanted 2016 to be and then some. The art style, the music, the combat, the level design, the enemy variety, the movement, the secrets, everything is improved. The Marauder was a pain in the ass for a while, and there's bit too many invisible walls for my liking, but this is truly an achievement.

id's back, baby.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh, I am 100% not offended by it, and have no clue why someone would be either. They just keep repeating it over and over, which is a good way to kill a joke.

I think it had potential to be worth a smirk 1 or maybe 2 times if used subtly, but it's used maybe 15-20 times and it really grinds it into the ground. The fact that even ARC refers to them as that makes zero sense in-universe.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Holy shit the final battles are INTENSE! To think I wanted my mother to try this game. Completed the final boss and wow it's a love/hate relationship I have with this game. Some of the technical problems of the PC version sorta soured the experience a bit, but once the game clicked with me I really started to enjoy myself.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the final battles are INTENSE! To think I wanted my mother to try this game. Completed the final boss and wow it's a love/hate relationship I have with this game. Some of the technical problems of the PC version sorta soured the experience a bit, but once the game clicked with me I really started to enjoy myself.

What kind of technical problems have you had?

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine thinking the game is trash because you find it too difficult
Pretty much the best shooter combat I've experienced in my life. In direct reply to your comment, imagine if that's how people treated souls too.

May be a generational thing, too. In the 90's we had Doom, Quake, Unreal, Tribes. A lot of us cut our teeth on super fast paced arena style shooters. Younger people are growing up with CoD and Fortnite, good games in their own right but completely different philosophically when it comes to core game design.

I hope Eternal is a sign of trends to come for future shooters, though. I really, really do.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What kind of technical problems have you had?
The game constantly jumps from 120+fps down to 50-60 non stop at random times and vice versa. Apparently any sort of overlay or frame limiter messes with the gpu and cpu usage causing all the fluctuations. I tried everything from disabling every possible overlay i know to disabling my framerate cap and vysnc from the nvidia control panel and enabling the ingame vsync and nothing at all worked. Eventually i just gaved up and played the rest of the game the way it was.

It was so jarring the fps constantly fluctuating like that. I have a 2080 Super/3900x so my hardware was more than capable of 1440p/120fps for the game. Even HDR apparently is messing with the FPS too, but the game looks soo much better with HDR..

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Pre-Marauder: yeah this game is hard, but nothing I can't handle
Post-Marauder: DOOM Eternal is the dark souls of FPS

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game constantly jumps from 120+fps down to 50-60 non stop at random times and vice versa. Apparently any sort of overlay or frame limiter messes with the gpu and cpu usage causing all the fluctuations. I tried everything from disabling every possible overlay i know to disabling my framerate cap and vysnc from the nvidia control panel and enabling the ingame vsync and nothing at all worked. Eventually i just gaved up and played the rest of the game the way it was.

It was so jarring the fps constantly fluctuating like that. I have a 2080 Super/3900x so my hardware was more than capable of 1440p/120fps for the game. Even HDR apparently is messing with the FPS too, but the game looks soo much better with HDR..

That sucks. I am running it maxed out at 4K with my 2080ti, and haven't noticed any dips. But, I am also only at 60FPS.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I like fighting mauraders lmao. It feels so good to just destroy them in the middle of a huge battle with the shotgun/ballista combo. Just beat a challenge room with one and as soon as he spawned I just jumped right to him and took him out immediately.

Nightmare is great. Ive had a few REALLY difficult rooms here and there at the 2/3s part of the game but other than its just been an insanely fun playthrough. I really want to try ultra nightmare. The combat and campaign are that good that I could see myself trying to get through it.

I can relate, I don't like running around the map trying to find ammo, it is almost guaranteed that I won't have gas in my chainsaw when I need it.

I played ultra violence and nightmare in the last game without trouble, now I'm getting my ass kicked in most of the arenas in UV, slowly advancing, it's killing the pacing though.
It is virtually impossible to be out of ammo AND not to have gas in your chainsaw. The chain saw always respawns one pip and it does so in like less than a minute. No one is going through that much ammo that quickly. When I see people complaining about ammo in here it tells me theyre ignoring the chainsaw.

Last edited:

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
Alright just beat the game and I feel empty, as in I want more Doom. Really enjoyed the last levels, the music, the onslaught of demons, just crazy shit. By the end I got used to the flow of the game and started kicking ass. Love freezing a group to blast them away with the destroyer blade.

Seems some find the final boss overwhelming, and I can see how. The way I managed was to run around avoiding everything while dealing with the boss. Recommend using the Unmayker too.