• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I was admittedly on the fence at first, but now that I have my full toolset and a good combat flow, it is at the very least on par with 2016 and could surpass it depending on how the rest of the game goes. Mastering the super shotgun helped so much.

Just repowered the crucible and uploaded Vega to head to the city of the damned.

I really like the little milestones and cosmetics and stuff that live on the main menu. I hope they keep adding a ton of stuff. I have like twelve skins for the Slayer right now, but I'm not going to change it up from the default until I start replaying levels on different difficulties.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.
Was in a fight with a cyberdemon in level 12, and everything else except the fodder was dead.
Then suddenly there was a cutscene with a door opening and a checkpoint.
Then I got killed by a drone cause the scene messed me up.
And the battle's over. I dunno if the cyberdemon suicided or what.
I guess I beat the hard part of the fight anyway lol.

Aug 28, 2019
Just beat the final boss. While it isn't perfect and doesn't have everything I wanted from a sequel, this is still a fantastic game and one of the best action games I've played in recent memory. I'm not sure I've played an FPS with better combat. Can't wait to start a new game and give Nightmare a try.

There's something bothering me though. What is the timeline of the invasion? The only dates I remember seeing in the codex were 2151, when Hayden returned to Earth and the ARC was formed to combat the invasion, and 2163, when the ARC doctor is recording her notes about the Slayer and speaking of the invasion as a current event. Did 12 years really pass after Doom 4?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I love how arcadey this game feels, all the way to the item pick ups. Floating guns is much more noticeable than dead bodies holding key cards or guns like 2016. In 2016 I've definitely ran past hunched over bodies holding objectives and it was annoying.
For me it is just the opposite. I tried to love Doom Eternal, but I don't even like the color of the guns while it floats.

Alright just beat the game and I feel empty, as in I want more Doom. Really enjoyed the last levels, the music, the onslaught of demons, just crazy shit. By the end I got used to the flow of the game and started kicking ass. Love freezing a group to blast them away with the destroyer blade.

Seems some find the final boss overwhelming, and I can see how. The way I managed was to run around avoiding everything while dealing with the boss. Recommend using the Unmayker too.
I Strongly suggest that you try Doom 1 and 2 using Project Brutality. Its crazy

Last edited:

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
The more I play the more I'm convinced that Doom Eternal is the best fps campaign I've played since first STALKER

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Man, who ever greenlit the idea of having those shielded motherfuckers that spawn dog spirits among the regular enemies needs a talking to

Annoying as fuck and so far the one failure ive found in the game compared to the previous one

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
As someone not FPS, are these modern Doom games worth a try? They seem more frantic and fun than the usual cover + headshot military shooters. Like I adored Metroid Prime for instance so not entirely opposed to the genre.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone not FPS, are these modern Doom games worth a try? They seem more frantic and fun than the usual cover + headshot military shooters. Like I adored Metroid Prime for instance so not entirely opposed to the genre.

Absolutely! There's a lot of Metroid Prime in their DNA, too, I feel like, from the way the written lore about Doomguy echoes the Prime lore about Samus to the reflection in the visor to the platforming heavy arenas.

The first one is a lot more casual in that you can achieve pretty much an eternal flow state and just kill shit however you like, but Doom Eternal is really something special--it keeps you uncomfortable and stressed out almost the entire time and gives you just an incredible number of things to juggle as you cut your way through the demonic hordes, but the feeling of mastery that comes with succeeding is more or less unmatched in my experience except for in Souls games.

Overall, two of the best games released in recent times and easily worth trying out. Right up there with the Prime games.

And you will never, ever be in cover.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Running back through all the missions to grab collectables, and finally beat the sixth slayer gate....

And after beating the rest of the level, I see I forgot to pick up the Empyrean key. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't hate FPS, but they're definitely not my preferred genre most of the time. This one is amazing though. And it does have some Metroid-esque aspects to it as well. Though I will say, it's difficult. Don't go in expecting something slow like Metroid prime.

metallik

Jul 10, 2019
Was in a fight with a cyberdemon in level 12, and everything else except the fodder was dead.
Then suddenly there was a cutscene with a door opening and a checkpoint.
Then I got killed by a drone cause the scene messed me up.
And the battle's over. I dunno if the cyberdemon suicided or what.
You probably killed the cyberdemon which immediately triggered the cutscene.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Doing some of the Slayer Gates first attempt on Nightmare is feels good. It feels both easier and harder than 2016.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Replaying to get the extra lives mode achievement and I just love
that when you learn the slayer is the doomguy he has the personality that you see in the DOOM comics. Rip and tear those huge guts.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame you, I still forget it but sometimes I tell myself "I might as well burn that one if I'm going to glory kill it anyway".

That's where the game really shines IMO. When you're in an insane battle with an entire horde and you are fully utilizing every ability you have as soon as the cool down is up. There were battles where I felt like I wasn't breathing and was moving like Neo from the Matrix. It wasn't until the last enemy was killed did I realize how crazy what I did was.

Love this game. The mobility is what puts this over Doom 2016 for me.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
That's where the game really shines IMO. When you're in an insane battle with an entire horde and you are fully utilizing every ability you have as soon as the cool down is up. There were battles where I felt like I wasn't breathing and was moving like Neo from the Matrix. It wasn't until the last enemy was killed did I realize how crazy what I did was.

Love this game. The mobility is what puts this over Doom 2016 for me.
Absolutely, the mobility is the big plus and I don't even have the hook yet. There's something great about killing a cacodemon, mid-air with a glory kill, just to dash away after. I totally recommend the suit upgrade where dashes refresh after a glory kill!

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Recurring themes and things I've heard people say over and over again in this thread —

1) Doom Eternal is one of the best (action, FPS, shooter) games they've ever played
And often in the same post
2) Fuck the marauder

😂😂😂😂😂

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Just beat the game on Ultra Violence. Overall, I find Doom Eternal to be much better than Doom 2016, and I LOVED Doom 2016. The final boss fight was epic, but I kinda wish they didn't spoil it in the official trailer. If there is one base mechanic I would change, it's how dash refill works. I'm not a very huge fan of the dash not replenishing unless your on the ground. It completely kills moment when I'm bunny hopping around but my dash won't refill. I also think the Doom Slayer's default run speed is still too slow. That second to last boss fight was semi-unfair at times, but I still enjoyed it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game on Ultra Violence. Overall, I find Doom Eternal to be much better than Doom 2016, and I LOVED Doom 2016. The final boss fight was epic, but I kinda wish they didn't spoil it in the official trailer. If there is one base mechanic I would change, it's how dash refill works. I'm not a very huge fan of the dash not replenishing unless your on the ground. It completely kills moment when I'm bunny hopping around but my dash won't refill. I also think the Doom Slayer's default run speed is still too slow. That second to last boss fight was semi-unfair at times, but I still enjoyed it.

Aiight that explains why i was bashing the shift key at times frustratingly not being able to do shit until i touched the ground :(

oh yeah, amazing game. even better than Doom 2016. slowly making my way through it. on level 6.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, anyone else having a major bug with the Chrono Strike rune [PC]?

I'm having huge issues where every time it triggers, I can't jump afterwards, especially when it triggers during firing the Shotgun's Sticky Bomb [which I didn't expect it to trigger off in the first place?]

Just in general it's a super buggy rune for me and is getting me killed so much I'm gonna have to swap it out.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it last night. Really fun and intense game. Kinda on the fence about if I like this or the first more. Feel like this one is a better game, but the first is more atmospheric. Because there was just a constant stream of collectibles, platforms, and secrets every 3 seconds I felt like I wasn't taking in the game's levels and story. Agree with some others, it felt bloated if your like me and tried to do everything the first playthrough.

I did really enjoy it though and will play it a bit more before moving on. I'd probably give the game a similar rating as a first but for different reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Story/Lore Questions

What's the deal with the huge body in the water on Urdak? It looks like a giant version of the Khan Maykr without the armor. That body, and the Khan Maykr look eerily similar to the Archvile...I wonder if it's supposed to be implied that the Angels and Demons are related?

On another note, I'm wavering back and forth on the idea that Samuel Hayden and Samur are the same person. Hayden's actions in Doom 2016 don't really make sense if that were the case. His knowledge of Hell, Urdak, and Sentinal society and history is uncanny though. Also, I'm thinking Vega asking if he's the father was more so because he was connected to, and gain control of, the construct that the father was contained in.

Now on the subject of a minor lore inconsistency. Doom Eternal implies that Titans can't truly be killed, but only driven dormant by leaving a crucible blade lodged inside their bodies. The issue there though is that, in Doom 2016, the Doom Slayer literally fights semi-through the body of a decomposed Titan that was killed by him. Am I missing something?

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat level 12.
Can't believe that boss took me over an hour.
She wasn't even that hard. I just kept missing easy shots.
Must be more tired than I thought.
Didn't want to leave the boss til morning though.

You probably killed the cyberdemon which immediately triggered the cutscene.

At the time, I was pretty far away from him and fighting a drone with precision shot lol.
Maybe from infighting. Though they usually just shoot eachother forever, doing seemingly no damage.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The chainsaw animation needs to be a lot faster. All enemies pounce on you at the speed of light but it feels like a good 5 sections until you're back in the action.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game tonight, that fight fight I was so close to death so many times Im not sure how I survived. I was dashing and jumping like a maniac, using the sword to thin out the tidal wave of demons. I was so amped up when that fucker died.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
LOL, I was messing with Photo Mode and I guess I've broke something: a Hell Knight kept the frozen skin even when he returned to move and fight.
Pretty cool show:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished the game, I wasn't super into that final boss mostly because it didn't need that second phase. Pretty epic, though.

Overall loved so much about the game. I really love the new combat sandbox (well, except for the Marauder), I love how vibrant and arcadey everything is, and I love the expanded platforming and mobility. So much of the game is the stuff I really love in videogames. On the whole I like the game more than Doom 2016, but I think 2016 was a more consistent experience. I found I had to bump the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty in the last level, and I appreciate how flexible the game is about that (and honestly, I found that last level so tough at times that my experience was comparable to the rest of the game on UV) but it would've been nice if the difficulty curve had felt more consistent? It really spikes once the game starts playing with its full hand.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Question!

I finished the game but had plenty of tokens, points, and several batteries left over. Is that normal? Keep feeling like I missed something but pretty sure I cleared out the base of battery unlocks and definitely got all the weapon upgrades and challenges.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Story/Lore Questions

What's the deal with the huge body in the water on Urdak? It looks like a giant version of the Khan Maykr without the armor. That body, and the Khan Maykr look eerily similar to the Archvile...I wonder if it's supposed to be implied that the Angels and Demons are related?

On another note, I'm wavering back and forth on the idea that Samuel Hayden and Samur are the same person. Hayden's actions in Doom 2016 don't really make sense if that were the case. His knowledge of Hell, Urdak, and Sentinal society and history is uncanny though. Also, I'm thinking Vega asking if he's the father was more so because he was connected to, and gain control of, the construct that the father was contained in.

Now on the subject of a minor lore inconsistency. Doom Eternal implies that Titans can't truly be killed, but only driven dormant by leaving a crucible blade lodged inside their bodies. The issue there though is that, in Doom 2016, the Doom Slayer literally fights semi-through the body of a decomposed Titan that was killed by him. Am I missing something?
I thought it was strange that the maykers look like demons. As far as that and the Samuel/Vega connections to the maykers, I'm guessing they're threads for a sequel. At least I hope so.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
After beating Eternal I was sure I would never be able to go back to 2016, but I just did the Foundry level on UV on my Switch and I was surprised at how much fun it still is even in hindsight. I prefer the combat loop and pace of Eternal overall but there's something to be said for a Super Shotgun with over 50 shells that mows down literally EVERYTHING the game throws at you.

It can definitely co-exist with Eternal as more of a straight forward power fantasy. It's like Doom and Doom 2, where sometimes I will play the first one if I'm more in the mood for something less demanding and simplified than the labyrinthine design of the second one.

Also, pressing the Dash button while playing 2016 and seeing Doomguy crouch instead was such a jarring experience. That is definitely the hardest thing to go back to.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL

I would say: yes. Combat is like a dance where you change your choreography for each encounter. Some of these encounters feel like Quake III or UT '99 multiplayer levels of franticness with all the circle strafing, double jumping and dashing. And apart of that every level has quite some exploration in them, especially when compared to say a CoD campaign. Secret hunting + platforming.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just dawned on me that Taras Nabad as a level is the closest thing to Metroid Prime in years.

Shit this whole damn game is the closest thing to Prime (hectic combat aside). Just more reasons to adore it.
Yeah it's straight up chozo ruins

Also people it's maykr lol. Although for your defense, one loading screen misspells it "makyr" too.
I can't believe so many people are pre-occupied with the marauder, while the Arch-Vile gets away scott free.

The Arch-Vile fucking sucks.
Nah he's fine, good hide and seek enemy, plus he isn't insanely tanky

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I would say: yes. Combat is like a dance where you change your choreography for each encounter. Some of these encounters feel like Quake III or UT '99 multiplayer levels of franticness with all the circle strafing, double jumping and dashing. And apart of that every level has quite some exploration in them, especially when compared to say a CoD campaign. Secret hunting + platforming.

yeah, this has definitely oldschool roots

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I have with the Arch Vile is that he basically gets 0 introduction. He's just... there hiding the first time he appears. The gameplay reveal for Eternal had a way cooler reveal for him. Otherwise he feels just like he was in the old games, though with the hectic nature of Eternal I'm still getting the hang of finishing him off quick before he can too much damage!

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Finished on UV.

Game is a blast, the only thing i think was unecessary was the
underwater seguements

Hats off to id.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah he's fine, good hide and seek enemy, plus he isn't insanely tanky

I found him more disruptive to the combat flow than the Marauder.

When the Marauder appears, you have to adjust and it's a real "Ah here he is" moment, but I feel like I had my response to that nailed down by the third or fourth fight. He just changes the pitch a bit. Whenever an Arch-Vile appeared, I shit myself and made an absolute beeline for him instantly, and couldn't focus on killing anything else until he was dead. I feel like you can continue to thin out the numbers around the Marauder for a little while, but shit gets real extremely quickly if you leave the Arch-Vile unattended to.

It's not a criticism of the game by the way either or a "problem", just an observation I feel about some of the discussion around the Marauder.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda servers are really ruining my enjoyment of the game. Just how many times will the game pause and ask me to connect to the servers?

It literally happens every 10 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
I found him more disruptive to the combat flow than the Marauder.

When the Marauder appears, you have to adjust and it's a real "Ah here he is" moment, but I feel like I had my response to that nailed down by the third or fourth fight. He just changes the pitch a bit. Whenever an Arch-Vile appeared, I shit myself and made an absolute beeline for him instantly, and couldn't focus on killing anything else until he was dead. I feel like you can continue to thin out the numbers around the Marauder for a little while, but shit gets real extremely quickly if you leave the Arch-Vile unattended to.

It's not a criticism of the game by the way either or a "problem", just an observation I feel about some of the discussion around the Marauder.
that's kinda true to how arch viles were in doom 2 also tho. leaving one unattended means U got fucking roasted and half the map resurrected

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
My only gripe with the Arch-Vile is that his buffs are visually identical to the buff-totem. I know the totem gets an extra message each time one pops up but that is easy to overlook in all the chaos.
Yeah when the first time Archvile showed up I ran around the arena for like 5 minutes for the totem and then realized I fucked up big time.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Buff totems and archvile existing in the same sandbox is really weird, but I like him as an enemy. The totems are the thing I dislike, since it says it causes enemies to infinitely respawn while being a static thing you find. That leads to a very linear gameplay of ignoring everything until you find the location, while the archvile is trying to hide and teleport around. They don't utilize him a ton, to the point that I'm not sure why the buff totems even exist as I would have rather just had him earlier.

They did a poor job with his intro (and the first buff totem fight), everyone I've watched had the same confusion at those two parts.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
The first buff totem taught me a valuable lesson. Before it, I looked for the heaviest enemy first to eliminate it early on, only to often end up lost in the arena or trapped in a corner. After the first totem i change my tactic to explore the arena as much as possible, to find the totem as quick as possible, but at the same time it made aware of the intricacy of the arena, which i could exploit to my advantage in the rest of the skirmish.

If that's not great game design, i don't know what is.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
The first buff totem taught me a valuable lesson. Before it, I looked for the heaviest enemy first to eliminate it early on, only to often end up lost in the arena or trapped in a corner. After the first totem i change my tactic to explore the arena as much as possible, to find the totem as quick as possible, but at the same time it made aware of the intricacy of the arena, which i could exploit to my advantage in the rest of the skirmish.

If that's not great game design, i don't know what is.
Buff totems teach you early on the importance of mobility in the game. Revenants a bit less so.

I am actually enjoying the multiplayer now the game is clicking. Some demons def got the short end of the stick tho.