• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it on ultra violence. What a fucking game. I don't think I've played an FPS game that has felt so much like a character action game before. It reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2 because of how fast the game wants you to play and how important it is to keep moving and to kill enemies as quickly as possible.

DOOM 2016 was easily my GOTY in 2016 and Eternal is so damn good that I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back and enjoy DOOM 2016 after this game. That is a testament to how incredible id succeeded in making a sequel to DOOM 2016.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
The levels seem huge. Just done the 3rd and it took me 3 evenings to get through it.

are all the levels as big as 3?

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Omg I beat the level I couldn't beat all night second time with the super shotgun/hook combo! What an intense battle!!

thanks for all the replies and help !

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first big level. Wow. Totally different mood than doom 2016 but insanely good. And it took me two hours. It's like 2/3 level of the previous one. How long is the length of this one ?! Color me impressed

Nov 8, 2017
Finished the first big level. Wow. Totally different mood than doom 2016 but insanely good. And it took me two hours. It's like 2/3 level of the previous one. How long is the length of this one ?! Color me impressed

Depending on difficulty, your skill level, and how much collectable / optional stuff you do, I'd say the game is 15-20 hours on a first run. I took 18 hours when credits rolled, I did a large proportion of collectables (maybe 80%).

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
now I loved how cynical the story in '16 was, I remember people praised the doomslayer for not giving a fuck about instructions, often even doing the opposite of what hayden wanted you to do, the utter disrespect doomslayer showed him. obviously that was fantastic, fun and extraordinary.
but I am not sure this would have worked a second time. I do actually appreciate what they are doing in doom eternal now, it's nothing short of the attempt at creating a doom universe, actually creating lore and a backstory to the franchise that links all DOOM games. was that necessary? no. is it often silly and cringy? absolutely. do I love it? as someone who played doom 1 as a kid, hell yeah. the locations are epic and incredibly memorable.

I agree with everything that was said here.

I actually can't believe ID achieved to make a compelling lore that connects all the DOOM universe and games, and which is really interesting to read once you dig in the codex entries.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Just finished it. Wow. What a ride! To think they would top Doom 2016...

Also
Urdak SO is COOL. If this is how planet earth would become under Khan Maykr... I mean...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the last stretch of the game, with Nekravol and Urdak is really cool. The last mission is kind of drab as fuck unfortunately, but it kind of makes sense.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Ok, this game was an 8.5-9.0 until a specific segment in Teras Nabad after you pull the crucible.

The next fight is absolutely horrendous. Set aside the fact that I have been unable to do any of the secret fights due to how the game puts a severe limitation on your ammunition (just 24 shells for the shotgun at max???) AND I bypassed the slayer gate, now I'm fighting high level enemies in an area that is significantly smaller than any other area before, AND they throw in a Marauder.

I thought the Marauder was dumb at first, but yeah, I'm pitching in to say that this enemy type is the worst decision in the entire design of the game. You have to kite him and then fight him by himself because only one weapon works against him. And then that weapon probably doesn't even have enough ammunition to kill him. So now you have to chainsaw a "fodder" enemy, probably taking damage along the way.

IT'S SO STUPID. You can't "rip and tear," because you're fighting an enemy type that has to be approached like a Mike Tyson Punchout foe.

What the FUCK!

That's before talking about how he blocks my missiles when I'm locking on to other enemy targets.

How did the developers not notice how these things are UNFUN????

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah fuck this game. Way too hard for me. Im toward the end of the cultist base and I just can not beat it. Probably like 10 tries now on this one part. This shit is not fun I don't know how people like this. I thought doom 2016 was great, played it multiple times. Doom Eternal is way too fucking hard it feels like some *oooooh look bow hard I am!* Dark souls type shit. This shit sucks.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Ok, this game was an 8.5-9.0 until a specific segment in Teras Nabad after you pull the crucible.

The next fight is absolutely horrendous. Set aside the fact that I have been unable to do any of the secret fights due to how the game puts a severe limitation on your ammunition (just 24 shells for the shotgun at max???) AND I bypassed the slayer gate, now I'm fighting high level enemies in an area that is significantly smaller than any other area before, AND they throw in a Marauder.

I thought the Marauder was dumb at first, but yeah, I'm pitching in to say that this enemy type is the worst decision in the entire design of the game. You have to kite him and then fight him by himself because only one weapon works against him. And then that weapon probably doesn't even have enough ammunition to kill him. So now you have to chainsaw a "fodder" enemy, probably taking damage along the way.

IT'S SO STUPID. You can't "rip and tear," because you're fighting an enemy type that has to be approached like a Mike Tyson Punchout foe.

What the FUCK!

That's before talking about how he blocks my missiles when I'm locking on to other enemy targets.

IN FUCKING ADDITION

He doesn't always animation cancel out of his attack when you DO shoot him.

Fuck that enemy!!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What the FUCK!

Are you talking about the room immediately after the crucible? The room is littered with crucible pickups, just use it?

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah fuck this game. Way too hard for me. Im toward the end of the cultist base and I just can not beat it. Probably like 10 tries now on this one part. This shit is not fun I don't know how people like this. I thought doom 2016 was great, played it multiple times. Doom Eternal is way too fucking hard it feels like some *oooooh look bow hard I am!* Dark souls type shit. This shit sucks.

Why not put the difficulty down to easy?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
you are me, about 6 days ago. now i fucking love the game and i even finished 1 master level.
-use the flamethrower to get armor
-keep moving
-ice grenades are your friend (not sure if you have them by that point)
-chainsaw refills, so that you can always chainsaw-kill the zombies for more ammo
because it sucks on easy. you have too much health and all the gameplay mechanics become useless. you just shootbang until every enemy is dead and it becomes boring very fast.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like if I can't even beat the third level on hurt me plenty the rest of the game on easy is still going to wreck me. And I'm obviously not enjoying whatever the hell shitty direction they took this game play in. Constantly out of ammo, never have the right cooldown when I need it, you have to use the exact right weapon with the exact right mod at the exact right time or else you'll waste a bunch more ammo and die anyway because you probably wont have your chainsaw cooldown when you need it. Idk, this game is a massive disappointment to me, I don't think it's fun at all, it's frustrating and a chore to play imo.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018

This is what I did, cause I felt exactly the same as you. The game seriously short changes doom guy in the first few levels. Anyways, die enough for the game to offer you the sentinel armor and take it. Get thru the next few levels any way you can so you can actually have an arsenal to bring down enemies.

Seriously the first 3 levels of the game are straight up garbage and frustrating because the game doesn't give you the tools to succeed.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is what I did, cause I felt exactly the same as you. The game seriously short changes doom guy in the first few levels. Anyways, die enough for the game to offer you the sentinel armor and take it. Get thru the next few levels any way you can so you can actually have an arsenal to bring down enemies.

Seriously the first 3 levels of the game are straight up garbage and frustrating because the game doesn't give you the tools to succeed.
I'm pretty close to just uninstalling it tbh. Whenever I boot it up and Im on this bridge and the mancubus spawns in front of me, I just dont even want to play it. I was on like, my 11th try in a row, I killed like 3 mancubus, two spiders, a hell knight, a snake lady or two, a couple revenants, a caco demon, I thought I was close and then I accidentally rocketed a revenant that jumped in front of me and immediately alt+f4d cu I dont feel like playing this 10 minute encounter for the 12th time. Fucking TRASH

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
i kinda prefer the monster's style and graphics in 2016...am i the only one?

I do prefer DOOM Eternal art direction regarding environment and buildings overall, but I do prefer DOOM 2016 regarding enemies design and how they were showing flesh on demons and creatures.

But I guess it changed mostly because in DOOM 2016, you really need to be able to distinguish one of enemy from another within a glimpse of a second, so they had to make certain design really obvious and visually distinct.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019

Yeah I've been thinking this. I miss the hole-in-head guys specifically:

Kinda bummed they were replaced with super generic zombies.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I do prefer DOOM Eternal art direction regarding environment and buildings overall, but I do prefer DOOM 2016 regarding enemies design and how they were showing flesh on demons and creatures.

But I guess it changed mostly because in DOOM 2016, you really need to be able to distinguish one of enemy from another within a glimpse of a second, so they had to make certain design really obvious and visually distinct.
some monsters looks even more detailed in D2016...

Oct 25, 2017
Another bug.
When you get to the Sightless Judge, a codex entry for him allegedly unlocks, but there is no entry, nor is there any room for an entry.
When I pressed the prompt, it brought me to a still locked entry that is findable in the next level.

For some of them yeah.
Like, the Baron in Eternal is basically just a Balrog. Where's my pink, green fireball throwing tyrant?
I also kind of like the Revenant more in 2016.
The Mancubi are way better in Eternal though, and I like the Zombie men better too.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Glory kill challenges fucking suck. Having to retry over and over because you either don't get the right side or end up doing blood punch sucks. If anyone from id happens to read this, please don't do those anymore. All other challenges are fun except for these.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
some monsters looks even more detailed in D2016...

More detail doesn't mean it's easier to visually recognize a shape or an enemy design. Usually the simpler, the more recognizable, as more detail can often means more visual noise, which can be damaging in a very fast paced environment.

I did prefer the more serious tone for enemy design in DOOM 2016, but I think they are more easily distinguish in DOOM Eternal.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Are you talking about the room immediately after the crucible? The room is littered with crucible pickups, just use it?

No. you pull the item out of the titan. There's a fight right after that.

After 45 minutes of that encounter, I went back to challenge. It's a Marauder. You get 30 seconds to kill him. Get FUCKED by RNG because he doesn't do the proper attack so you can even hit him. zzz

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they gave Hell Knights their horns back. They even have them in the artbook and they look so much better with them.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I miss some of the glowiness of the 2016 designs. I like the old imps and revenants better for sure but I kinda like all the other ones more in Eternal. Maybe the cyclops mancubus is better then the eternal one, but I think the gore/blowing parts off stuff makes up for the design differences

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday. Overall I really enjoyed it and think it's better than the first, but there were some head-scratching inclusions that I didn't care for like the purple goo and the Marauder. I also didn't like the bigger emphasis on the humor which I felt was trying way too hard to be funny. The first game rode that line better I think. Not as bad as something like the Borderlands games, but it bothered me nonetheless.

What I played of the multiplayer was not good but those are just my initial impressions. Just didn't feel all that great to play.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Man it doesn't even matter. My game was bugged. I couldn't progress past the fight that was so hard because the door that was sealed didn't unseal after I killed the Marauder. I didn't notice until after I came back from the Slayer Gate.

Welp, there goes a precious 90 minutes of my day wasted.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished.

What an absolute ride. There was a stretch of missions in the middle that was just absolutely breathtaking.

In many ways there are still things I personally prefer about 2016, but Eternal is an absolute blockbuster home run of a sequel and probably a better game overall. The combat system especially is just ridiculous and without rival.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
More detail doesn't mean it's easier to visually recognize a shape or an enemy design. Usually the simpler, the more recognizable, as more detail can often means more visual noise, which can be damaging in a very fast paced environment.

I did prefer the more serious tone for enemy design in DOOM 2016, but I think they are more easily distinguish in DOOM Eternal.
oh yeah i was only talking about details.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I was getting increasingly annoyed at the game too and it started to feel more frustrating to play but I dropped it down to the easiest difficulty and it feels way more like Doom 2016 and it gives you enough freedom to just use the guns you want a bit more. I'm enjoying it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more now.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I missed a couple collectibles on Mission 3 but it took me straight to Mission 4. I can get using chapter select I assume. If so, is fast travel available from the start or I need to play through the whole level again?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I advise anyone struggling with the game to drop the difficulty. I don't think I'll ever enjoy this one as much as 2016, but at least now I'm getting a better grasp on the mechanics.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I was getting increasingly annoyed at the game too and it started to feel more frustrating to play but I dropped it down to the easiest difficulty and it feels way more like Doom 2016 and it gives you enough freedom to just use the guns you want a bit more. I'm enjoying it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more now.
Yeah maybe some other day I'll give it a try. I just don't think I like this game. It feels like it's mostly resource management and juggling cooldowns. My keyboard hand is constantly fucking up and hitting the wrong buttons and that's with only 4 guns unlocked. Having 3 different resource management buttons that you need to constantly worry about is a drag and it's all so overwhelming it sucks the fun out of it completely. I have no desire to even play it at all. To me the game is actively bad in a lot of ways. It's like the Sekiro of FPS, but I really am not a fan of the souls games at all so it makes sense why i would hate this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah maybe some other day I'll give it a try. I just don't think I like this game. It feels like it's mostly resource management and juggling cooldowns. My keyboard hand is constantly fucking up and hitting the wrong buttons and that's with only 4 guns unlocked. Having 3 different resource management buttons that you need to constantly worry about is a drag and it's all so overwhelming it sucks the fun out of it completely. I have no desire to even play it at all. To me the game is actively bad in a lot of ways. It's like the Sekiro of FPS, but I really am not a fan of the souls games at all so it makes sense why i would hate this game.
3 cooldowns is hardly juggling

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

I'm going to assume you're playing it on the same difficulty as you did with the last game. At this point, I wouldn't bother: If even Civie11 - a youtuber who eats games like OG Shadow Warrior and Final Doom for breakfast - had to move the difficulty down because he was getting his ass kicked too much for it to be enjoyable, you shouldn't be ashamed about doing so as well. And then you'll have the fun you're been waiting for, trust me.

Like seriously, I fucking suck at video games, but I'm having a blast wrecking demons on I'm Too Young to Die, and easily beat the three Doom Hunters at the end of the cultist base. Game feels very much like DOOM 2016 did on Hurt Me Plenty, apart from the fact that the early levels feel like late game levels, with how many enemy types they introduce so quickly. Maybe I'll change my mind about this once I hit those damn Marauders people keep talking about, but for now, it's perfectly manageable.

Edit: oh, since I'm late, I'm gonna give you one piece of advice that might help you with the keyboard issue. If you've been constantly hitting R cause of muscle memory related to reloading in other shooters, and wasting your flame belch like so many people have, swap it with E or F. Worst case, you'll waste the blood punch, which isn't that essential on the easier difficulties, or switch your weapon mod. Not wasting my flame belch like I was early on has made the game so much more manageable. And eventually your muscle memory will stop getting in the way.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just a couple of missions left, the game got better but I don't know if I like it more than 2016 yet. Mechanics are better sure but the story is way dumber imo (I actually really liked 2016 story) and the missions are all over the place in that regard as well although there are some phenomenal levels.

The game is harder for sure and there are a couple of frustrating arenas with enviromental bullshit that I don't remember having in 2016.

I'd like to play 2016 again to know for sure but I think I'm going to miss the dash skill a lot...

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
That Doom Hunter boss was tough as hell. It took me like 15 tries to beat it. I got close once and then my XOX fucking shut off by itself. I had to take a breather lmao

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Game crashed as I started a secret encounter (first time ever), I restarted and beat it, but the game didn't give me credit (still shows up on the map and I didn't get the weapon point at the end of the level).

Looks like a glitch. I guess I'll always have that little bit of incompletion hanging out forever, which is a shame, since I got 100% on everything else.

I really, really liked this game (it does literally everything 5x better than 2016) but that's a bit of an awkward way to end my play through lol.