• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay everyone, I've devised an incredibly simple analogy we can use to shape internet discourse regarding Doom Eternal forever with!

Doom 2016 is Alien, Doom Eternal is Aliens.

giphy.gif

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
So, I finished the game last night. Good god - the 'boss' fights really don't benefit from the constantly respawning fodder enemies. However, due to the game's design, they are necessary because you use them to restore your resources.

I get it, but it just makes it so these fights can drag out longer than necessary. Marauder fighting in particular sucks because of it.

Then I got to the last 2 bosses of the game. Good god. GOOD GOD. On the one hand, beating them felt like a Soul's like achievement. On the other hand... I really detest 'floor is lava' mechanics and BOY do those fights sure love having them in.

Otherwise - I absolutely loved it. The gameplay pacing really is unmatched; if you enjoy this sorta thing, its truly unparalleled.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like my brain doesn't work fast enough to play this game, I'll be doing alright for a little bit, and then I'll run out of ammo or be at 10 health and my brain crashes to desktop and I just flounder for a second as 47 heavies pummel me to death on the 3rd level.
Lower the difficulty?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This Quakecon cheat confused the hell out of me.

I just heard a voice talking in the post level screen asking if I wanted more gameplay. I thought somebody somehow invaded my lobby and started chatting.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody online is already level 150. Holy shit. I know you can put boosters on people for xp but that's still a lot of grinding.

I love this game but goddamn. I'm only at 35 and I feel I've been on this nonstop.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it on "Hurt me plenty" using a controller last night. Overall, when the game is at its best (read: Slayer Rooms, the non-boss fights of the final levels), it's like a Nirvana state. Even the Marauders don't feel too bad once you get the hang of how to handle them.

That said, those last two boss fights are total fucking drags. And those "Floor is Lava" mechanics really get in the way of what would otherwise make them more tolerable. The best parts of Doom: Eternal are those moments where you're low on health and armor, are sprinting around trying to get a group of enemies together while dodging fire, devising the best way to group them for weapons, ammo, armor, and health. Disrupting that flow by randomly eliminating large portions of sprint area just feels shitty.

I also wish it were easier to dash out of areas where enemies corner you, but at least there's a little "shame on me" when that happens.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I gotta say... when it clicks.. it CLICKS. I was having a ton of issues remembering when my cooldowns were ready/etc. But once you get the shotgun with the meathook (MASTER IT QUICKLY), the game goes into overdrive. It's fun as hell.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really don't understand the hate Marauders get for this.

I played in nightmare mode and they were fine. When you fight them you tend to not have any enemies other than grunts around so you can essentially focus on them. 3 rounds of ss, balista, ss and he is dead.

You also still have to keep moving to avoid the grunts and his long range attacks so you can just pick a spot and lure him in for an attack.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I gotta say... when it clicks.. it CLICKS. I was having a ton of issues remembering when my cooldowns were ready/etc. But once you get the shotgun with the meathook (MASTER IT QUICKLY), the game goes into overdrive. It's fun as hell.

I'm waiting for this, slowly making progress on UV, getting my ass kicked, once I get the super shotgun I'll decide what to do.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't a fan of glory kills in 2016, how are they in Eternal?
Does it feel less stop-start in the flow of combat?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I used them way less, mainly cause I can't conserve ammo and just melee people to death. So I used them as intended, to only recover health. They're still the same speed, but I feel like most players are using them with a lot less frequency than 2016, at least that I've seen on stream.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get a blue key and it'll unlock when you go near it
You unlock the key later on in the level. You can't miss it.
Nice one, thanks!

I thought they added to the flow rather than hindered it... but if you disagree they are very much front and centre here and they might still bother you. Setting up glory kills and known when to launch into them is a huge part of the combat flow.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a couple of hours in and enjoying it so far, I only played the DOOM 2016 demo and wasn't a fan but it seems like Eternal has a lot more variety to its levels and combat.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I don't enjoy the timed challenges. This just happened... Begin timed challenge, it's like a 30-40 second one. Oh shit, there's a Doom Hunter. Pull out my Plasma Rifle, start blasting. I got him down and some other enemies but narrowly failed the challenge. Now I could try again but I'm out of ammo for the Plasma rifle! So it'll be much harder if not impossible to take down the Doom Hunter in the required time. That sucks. Imo the timed challenges should just give you infinite ammo while the challenge is on, so it's a test of your speed and strategy, not resources.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't imagine someone doing a Nightmare run the first time through

It's a blast in NG+ though. Having the Meat Hook from the start is a game changer.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

I have found that I enjoy them more here because of a few things:

- The default range is HUGE, made enormous by the "increase range" Range
- They're much faster

And the biggest one
- You don't come out of a glory kill and get your ass beat (effectively nullifying the point of the glory kill like in the first game) nearly as much

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy the timed challenges. This just happened... Begin timed challenge, it's like a 30-40 second one. Oh shit, there's a Doom Hunter. Pull out my Plasma Rifle, start blasting. I got him down and some other enemies but narrowly failed the challenge. Now I could try again but I'm out of ammo for the Plasma rifle! So it'll be much harder if not impossible to take down the Doom Hunter in the required time. That sucks. Imo the timed challenges should just give you infinite ammo while the challenge is on, so it's a test of your speed and strategy, not resources.
Yeah these suck, frankly, mostly for the reason you say. At least you can go back and do them with cheats if you really can't beat them.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I have found that I enjoy them more here because of a few things:

- The default range is HUGE, made enormous by the "increase range" Range
- They're much faster

And the biggest one
- You don't come out of a glory kill and get your ass beat (effectively nullifying the point of the glory kill like in the first game) nearly as much

This, plus you don't actually have to glory kill everytime, which felt like the "correct" way to play 2016. Now there's alternative ways to gain health and armor, and glory kills charge blood punch, which basically gives a free instant-glory kill (or two) on a lot of enemies for each glory kill you perform. It feels like a tactic you deploy now, instead of just a necesarry animation for each enemy you kill.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
This, plus you don't actually have to glory kill everytime, which felt like the "correct" way to play 2016. Now there's alternative ways to gain health and armor, and glory kills charge blood punch, which basically gives a free instant-glory kill (or two) on a lot of enemies for each glory kill you perform. It feels like a tactic you deploy now, instead of just a necesarry animation for each enemy you kill.

Yup! Rotating between freeze grenade / flame belch/ regular grenade and then chainsaw.... I know a lot of people were comparing it to an action character game but yes... it's VERY Ninja Black/DMC in first person.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glory/chainsaw kills are the only breather you get during fights. If you don't like them in 2016, you still won't like them here. The others are correct in that you really don't need to glory kill everything, though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I wanna do ultra nightmare. Having all your mobile abilities and weapons just feels right. Getting stripped to level 1 and having to make it though in one life to get alllllll of my shit back so I can even stand a chance sounds miserable.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow the underwater mechanics suck. For the life of me I can't go back to land after a dive. Jump, Dash all spam and it works 2 out of 10 times.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the underwater mechanics suck. For the life of me I can't go back to land after a dive. Jump, Dash all spam and it works 2 out of 10 times.
In a sentence one wouldn't usually be expected to utter, the Doomslayer has one of the worst surfacing mechanics I've seen in any game, he can rip and tear but he can't just put his head above water huh?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Lol I was just noticing that underwater surfacing thing too. Really weird in a game that otherwise has such smooth movement?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Swimming sucks. And the actual platforming sections that were non combat related were annoying. Just a few of the things that keep this game from being near perfect in my eyes.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Well just beat it and I have to say...

that was first person shooter perfection!! 10/10 campaign it was so grand and fun to travel across all those places and I even enjoyed the super over the top story. The gameplay is what makes me cream my jeans though!

Its so satisfying to reach a flow state where everything is going perfect and your timing your flame thrower and your chainsaw in unison. Meanwhile your destroying endless hoardes of demons I gloariously satisfying ways. Love that they tell you how to kill the demon at the beginning because it helps you get accustomed to there loveseat a lot quicker and you can learn how to implement that demon into your flow.

seriously this is the best FPS campaign I have ever played beating out an old favorite of borderlands 2. Everything about it is perfect and I cant wait to replay it... after Nioh 2, ff 7, ori, RE3, and TLOU 2 😳

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy just shipped my CE. I honestly thought (and accepted) I would never get one. I'm pleasantly surprised.