• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played the original doom games for the first time ever last year, the way I see it is, doom 2016 is what people remember doom being like, and eternal is what doom was actually like.

There's value to both approaches, but I definitely prefer the insanity.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
id, please for the love of god patch in the ability to skip all of these tedious little "hey a gate opened over here" cutaway scenes and repetitive "interact with a thing" animations. They are driving me slowly mad.

Gogo_ZvC

Oct 29, 2017
My mind was blown about weapon hotswap instead of weapon wheel, what are people's keybindings for each gun instead of 1 to 8? Is there a standard?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the first time in my life I submitted a bug report for a game.

My assault rifle is still permanently bugged. Can't use the scope mod anymore (instead of zooming, the green lights from the other mod appear and hover in thin air).

Doom Eternal is the buggiest piece of software I have experienced in years.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
id, please for the love of god patch in the ability to skip all of these tedious little "hey a gate opened over here" cutaway scenes and repetitive "interact with a thing" animations. They are driving me slowly mad.
I agree. There are a lot of them, and they get in the way of repeat playthroughs.

I'm watching a streamer play, and he's skipping those "pick up a battery" animations in the second level. The chat says that he's doing it by switching weapons right before he picks up a battery, but I don't know the details.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
My mind was blown about weapon hotswap instead of weapon wheel, what are people's keybindings for each gun instead of 1 to 8? Is there a standard?
I got:
1 to 4 is standard. 5 BFG, double shotty on ctrl, q for ballista, x for chaingun, lshift for chainsaw
very comfortable and marauders are very easy

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
This little platform with two cacodemons in Exultia is killing me. Especially after the sinking platform part.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This little platform with two cacodemons in Exultia is killing me. Especially after the sinking platform part.
I almost quit the game there. An absolutely piss poor encounter. I am so disappointed in this game thus far.
100% agree. They lost the subtlety of Doom 2016. When there was little humour in 2016, it made much more of an impact because they didn't hit you over the head with it. Now, they try way too hard. Too much humour, too many references, too many codex entries, too many unnecessary additions to combat, too many skills etc. To unlock. Doomguy feels like a caricature of his 2016 incarnation. Some of the demons are more "cute" than anything else. The sound the glory kill on Cacodemons makes feels like a morning tv cartoon.
This is it 100%. They exaggerated all of the wrong parts.

Last edited:

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
I almost quit the game there. An absolutely piss poor encounter. I am so disappointed in this game thus far.
I just cheap killed them. I put a grenade in one of their mouths and dropped down below to the platform with the lift flame. Turns out, this confuses their AI or they have really slow descent speed. Either way, I blasted both before they made it halfway down.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
No standard bindings beyond the default, but I think most people will agree that leaving anything on the numbers past 5 is a bad idea. I get along well enough with this setup:

1 - Combat Shotgun
2 - Super Shotgun
3 - Heavy Cannon
4 - Chaingun
5 - Plasma Rifle
Z - Ballista
X - Rocket Launcher
C - Crucible
Q - Last weapon
E - Glory Kill
F - Chainsaw
R - Swap mods
G - BFG9000/Unmakyr
Mwheel up/down - Flame Belch
Mouse4 - Grenade
Mouse5 - Swap grenades

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a certain point where it clicked for you? I want to see what everybody likes so much about this game, and I'm a huge Doom fan. If it will clixk eventually and I'll start to like it I will put some more time into it. I feel like if I put it on the easiest difficulty I'll just be missing the point. I wish I could keep the same difficulty and have more ammo, or turn off the chainsaw cooldown.
I was on board with it almost from the jump. It was in "Best FPS ever" territory around the time I got the rocket launcher in the Cultist Base and then it went on to spend 10 hours re-affirming that sentiment.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, so on Ultra-Nightmare, there's no 1up available, it's really just one life for the whole campaign...

I'm definitely not doing this haha. I thought if you die, you would just redo the level you're on from the beginning, but no, you're restarting the whole campaign.

I'm not patience enough, and it's not fun enough to me, to endure this. I die at the third level on a small mistake, and that were I discovered how difficult it would be.

So, huge, HUGE respect for all the people I'll see with the Gold Slayer skin, you really deserve the respect from all the DOOM Community.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so on Ultra-Nightmare, there's no 1up available, it's really just one life for the whole campaign...

I'm definitely not doing this haha. I thought if you die, you would just redo the level you're on from the beginning, but no, you're restarting the whole campaign.

I'm not patience enough, and it's not fun enough to me, to endure this. I die at the third level on a small mistake, and that were I discovered how difficult it would be.

So, huge, HUGE respect for all the people I'll see with the Gold Slayer skin, you really deserve the respect from all the DOOM Community.
If the boss fights were removed I would attempt it
I have absolutely no faith I can pull gladiator, maykr and icon in one try.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

1 - 5: Default inputs.
Z - Zuper Zhotgun
` (Tilde) - BFG/Unmakyr. Gotta use keyboard macro software to rebind the Tilde to literally anything else, but now I'm not pulling up the console anymore so yay.
X/Mouse 4 - Mod E(x)change
Q - Last weapon
Tab - Equipment Switch
LCTRL/ALT - Equipment Launcher
R - Chainsaw (R)eload
C -(C)haingun

Everything else is defaults.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
3 levels in starting to get in the groove. But can't stop laughing my ass off thinking devs at ID thought story-wise this was some hot shit considering how serious the game takes itself. Like who in the fuck cares about any of the things I am doing so far.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 levels in starting to get in the groove. But can't stop laughing my ass off thinking devs at ID thought story-wise this was some hot shit considering how serious the game takes itself. Like who in the fuck cares about any of the things I am doing so far.
Wouldn't be surprised if bethesda asked them to go heavier on the story.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018

Mouse Wheel Up - Shotgun
Mouse Wheel Down - Heavy Cannon
Q - Chainsaw
E - Super-Shotgun
F - Rocket Launcher
R - Plasma Rifle
2 - Chaingun
3 - BFG
C - Balista
V - Crucible
Mouse 3 - Grenade
Mouse 5 - Melee/Power Punch/Glory Kill
Mouse 6 - Swap Mod
Mouse 7 - Swap grenade type
LShift - Flame Belch

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Oh wow no 1up? Thought those are available.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if bethesda asked them to go heavier on the story.
Seems like a baseless assumption really, given that there isn't really much more here. Just seems like Hugo and co wanted to go full ridiculous and they did.

Or the devs took the wrong lessons from the previous games. No one cared about the story in Doom 2016 not because there wasn't much to go on but because no one cares about a Doom story at all.
People cared about the story in 2016

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Or the devs took the wrong lessons from the previous games. No one cared about the story in Doom 2016 not because there wasn't much to go on but because no one cares about a Doom story at all.
For what lore was introduced in 2016 I was interested in learning more and Eternal gave me that. It's way more interesting than your typical kill demons nonstop kinda game.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

first showing of the game they litteraly spend 5 minutes teasing story and lore bits on enemies, locations, and said ' we're building a doom universe, we're huge lore nerds "

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling rough due to colitis and have no energy. All I wanna do is play this game but every time I load it up I just cannot face the pressure, lol.

The rush you get when it clicks is addictive, stop letting me down body you're gonna get something good from this I promise!

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in Eternal is better, but Doom 2016 was more focused and the story fit the game perfectly. In Eternal it gets in the way. I don't give a shit about this fantasy crap. I just want to shoot demons.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I just bought doom2016 because i barely played it with my ps4, now gonna finish on my pc.

download size 60gb...jesus christ!

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The gameplay in Eternal is better, but Doom 2016 was more focused and the story fit the game perfectly. In Eternal it gets in the way. I don't give a shit about this fantasy crap. I just want to shoot demons.
Just hold the R button. Skips literally everything that takes your control away except doors opening and elevators...

Oct 28, 2019
I love Doom and I really like this game,but those last two levels are some other shit. The bosses OMG those bosses. I was begging the game to please just let me fight the boss and cut out all this environmental bullshit and heavy demon spawns. Cool near unlimited crucible! But constantly having to clean up before you can attack the boss or risk death got old fast. Also having the player look up ,but also making the ground dangerous is a bad combination. I don't remember the mastermind being frustrating in 2016. The bosses are the only weak points in this campaign.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love Doom and I really like this game,but those last two levels are some other shit. The bosses OMG those bosses. I was begging the game to please just let me fight the boss and cut out all this environmental bullshit and heavy demon spawns. Cool near unlimited crucible! But constantly having to clean up before you can attack the boss or risk death got old fast. Also having the player look up ,but also making the ground dangerous is a bad combination. I don't remember the mastermind being frustrating in 2016. The bosses are the only weak points in this campaign.

100% agree. Finished the game last night and those last 2 levels were a real pain in the ass. Overall I enjoyed the game but there were a lot of times, I felt like the game was just throwing bullshit at me just do it. It was less "challenging" and more tedious to me.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but when I go back to older levels to find the secrets I missed, can I do it without the enemies being there?

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
100% agree. Finished the game last night and those last 2 levels were a real pain in the ass. Overall I enjoyed the game but there were a lot of times, I felt like the game was just throwing bullshit at me just do it. It was less "challenging" and more tedious to me.
Yep im gonna agree they were the weakpoint. Thankfully I had some extra lives. My biggest gripe with them was when they would use their AOD attacks and make the entire floor untouchable. That shit would take away all my armor and health before I could do anything. They also would hurt me when I was dashing through the air which I thought was unfair.

I did beat them both without running out of extra lives (ultra violence), so I never had to wipe And start over from a checkpoint. But they were really the worst part. But I didn't like the bosses in 2016 either. They just aren't adequate test of the game's designs and more of a story beat with gameplay elements (new and old).

Oct 25, 2017
The story is silly but it's fun. Everybody's taking everything sooo seriously except for the doom slayer. Seems like a lot of people are missing that. It's very serious to these aliens because their lives are at stake and stuff, but the slayer ignores them because everything they're saying is dumb to him and he clearly only takes in information relevant to his mission. People are constantly telling him what he can and can't do and he refuses to listen. It's great b movie stuff. And if you hate it that much just skip it all.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
So far I've been making sure to 100% each level as I've gone through on UV including all the slayer gates but I've just got to the challenge shortly afterwards

with the Marauder and a 30 second time limit. How is that possible without BFG ammo, especially when I needed to use my last on the previous slayer gate.

Any advice on this one to stop me having to replay the level or do I need to return with BFG ammo?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
So far I've been making sure to 100% each level as I've gone through on UV including all the slayer gates but I've just got to the challenge shortly afterwards

with the Marauder and a 30 second time limit. How is that possible without BFG ammo, especially when I needed to use my last on the previous slayer gate.

Any advice on this one to stop me having to replay the level or do I need to return with BFG ammo?
stun him with the double shotty, swap to ballista and shoot, swap to double shotty and shoot
repeat

Apr 9, 2019
Almost finished the game on UV. Thoughts:

+ Gamefeel is *awesome*
+ Arena design is lovely - great verticality, all kinds of nooks and crannies
+ Varied locations - feels just as much as a 90s arena shooter as the gameplay
+ Lots of cool and interesting demons.
+ Sound design and music are *perfect*. That Metal Choir has paid off, and the weapon sounds are nice and cruncy.

- Writing is... not good. I admire
Samuel Hayden
's voice actor. Even though the writers give him three of the exact same lines in the span of 5 minutes ("we have to hurry") he has so much gravitas. Too bad his lines are ugh.
- The tongue-in-cheek tone of Doom 2016 is completely gone. Eternal takes itself VERY seriously and feels much more like a drag in comparison. I've even started skipping cutscenes toward the end.
- Some sequences are just pretty looking hallways - all you can do is wander around and enjoy the scenery. (Like the
Sentinel Homeworld
- barely anything happens before then end).
- Too many boss fights. I'm doing
Khan Mayker
now and I'm through with all these bosses that don't play to the game's strengths.
- Yes, the Marauder is annoying. There's hardly any improvisation room. Wish I could call up the console and just remove him xD .

All in all: a great improvement in the core gameplay and environments. Some questionable decisions outside of those fields.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
stun him with the double shotty, swap to ballista and shoot, swap to double shotty and shoot
repeat

I tried this technique when you first encounter him and it seemed to take forever; does the initial encounter have more health or do I just need to get quicker and swapping weapons and hitting every time?

Not ideal on a controller but this is the only really enemy I've had an issue with.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
So that default headshot popping sound effects hey...anyway to change it or even turn it off? It's...silly :(