• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
gameplay looks great, can't wait. don't really care about invasions but i'll do em for the trophies that will most likely require em. the lives thing seems really interesting.

love the grapling and dash moves. Also loved the master chief like moment on phobos. Doom Guy will finish this fight.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely missed this. DOOM was my GOTY for 2016 so I'm all in.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You "can" get it in mission 3 I think, but Siege mode is basically the only other weapon you would use in an optimised or even general run of the game.

This quite literally isn't true lmao, and even if it was (again, it isn't) the fact that you watched a staged 10 minute gameplay trailer and immediately went "oh man, they FUCKED it up again in the sequel" is very funny and telling.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This quite literally isn't true lmao, and even if it was (again, it isn't) the fact that you watched a staged 10 minute gameplay trailer and immediately went "oh man, they FUCKED it up again in the sequel" is very funny and telling.
I mean, it could be true. I remember this guy on GAF who basically destroyed Arcade mode and said something similar.

The thing is, most people don't play the game the most efficient or optimal way, they play however they want and using the weapons they like. That's why more people haven't noticed these "obvious" failings.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

It's level 5, yeah (just checked).

It's not telling. I played the SHIT out of the first game and it does a lot of stuff wrong. It is better than a lot of FPS games we have for over a decade but doesn't hold anything to even Quake 1 (because it certainly doesn't play like Doom).

There are things that some of id's first games did better than Doom '06 that I really want them to address.

Number 1 is that the game is easy af even with controller... Because barely anything can actually hit the player if they're jumping. It's like playing zDoom.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that guy just one hour ago saying the super shotgun was trash

And now there's somebody else saying the super shotgun was OP

So which is it

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
They have a sword now? Godamn, this is awesome.

Good to see Aracnotron again. Can't say much about the zombie guy xD

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
The super shot gun is one of my favorite weapons in video games, so glad they showed it, and that meat hook sounds fucking incredible

Nov 2, 2017
Jesus Christ, man. Talk about showing people how it's done. This is a fucking sequel.

Only trepidation I have is their dedication to the lore. Hopefully, they realize that what made the lore so awesome was how cryptic and in the background things were. I want more lore, but I don't want shit spelled out for me in-game. One of the pleasures regarding DOOM 2016 was seeing all the fan theories pop up regarding symbols and story elements and how they might relate to the original games and even Wolfenstein. Don't dumb it down, ID.

humm, this one is good, i admit

Dude, I'm all for difference of opinions: but you're out of your mind. One of the first things that stood out watching that presentation was how much more character the Glory Kills have in relation to the first game. It's not even a contest. More than a few of them are even comical without breaking immersion. Your initial post is just wrong.

Also, how is that Assault Shotgun not going to be OP as fuck?

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The game looks so freak good!

Just one thing... It's more faithful to the original sure, but i prefere the version of mancubus we got in doom 2016

Tnct1pa.jpg

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I can 1080/60fps this with my 1050ti without it looking like crap I'm in day one!

What are the differences between Tech 6 and 7?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 20 random seconds of this video and decided to go media blackout on this game. I don't want to see anything else.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Is....is that a futuristic crossbow? I commented on the game in the gameplay thread, but holy shit, that's on another level compared to the Meat Hook Shotgun. In general, super interested. Doom Lore sounds like something you can easily fuck up, but I say give it a shot. I mean Halo Lore is a thing and that worked out fine.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) arachnotrons are still cute
2) I did not miss the fucking pain elementals; at least it did not seem like they still explode into more lost souls upon death
3) lol invasions

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Grappling hook looks OP af considering it is staggering even larger enemies.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

It's not telling. I played the SHIT out of the first game and it does a lot of stuff wrong. It is better than a lot of FPS games we have for over a decade but doesn't hold anything to even Quake 1 (because it certainly doesn't play like Doom).

There are things that some of id's first games did better than Doom '06 that I really want them to address.

Number 1 is that the game is easy af even with controller... Because barely anything can actually hit the player if they're jumping. It's like playing zDoom.
if youve played so damn much of it why do you keep getting the year wrong in your posts

D65

Oct 26, 2017
if youve played so damn much of it why do you keep getting the year wrong in your posts

oh haha, I meant to say Doom 2016 but for some reason was shortening it to '06

;(

I played a ton of Doom

The most fun I had was on certain SnapMaps, so I really hope they are still in the game.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Is....is that a futuristic crossbow? I commented on the game in the gameplay thread, but holy shit, that's on another level compared to the Meat Hook Shotgun. In general, super interested. Doom Lore sounds like something you can easily fuck up, but I say give it a shot. I mean Halo Lore is a thing and that worked out fine.

Nah. DOOM 2016 did what Halo: CE originally accomplished and it's sequels totally screwed up - rich narrative exploration through minimalism. The Halo sequels blew everything up in an attempt to make the video game equivalent of Star Wars and the franchise hasn't been the same since. I pray that Id is humble enough not to make the same mistake, because what the first game started out with is amazing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was at first a little disappointed because I don't really like the look of hellified earth but the other enviroments and especially Phobos turned me around.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I loved everything about the footage, the few environments we saw looked so good, especially the one when they mentionned creating a "DOOM universe". I wonder if they'll hide some DOOM II level the same way they did in DOOM 2016 with Ult Doom maps.

I always hoped we'd end up using the Crucible and based on the end...looks like we will.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The campaign was objectively bad in Doom '06. It had a negative difficulty curve, overstayed its welcome and was a series of arena rooms with only a few actually playing differently.
Don't know about "objective", but I agree for the most part -- the best part of DOOM 2016's campaign were the earliest levels, which were very open, especially The Foundry IMO. The later levels were more about going from one killing room to another and the game overstayed its welcome a bit as a result. Fortunately, the gunplay was just so much fun that most people didn't mind just so they could keep killing demons.

The problem is that jumping is far too useful against the projectiles and now with the extra mobility it seems even easier to dodge attacks.
I think it's too early to tell. I would imagine that if the game gives you new movement mechanics, they'll also introduce new enemies to negate those benefits.

Wait I've seen a couple of people mention a switch version... Is that confirmed?
HELL YEAH!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know about "objective", but I agree for the most part -- the best part of DOOM 2016's campaign were the earliest levels, which were very open, especially The Foundry IMO. The later levels were more about going from one killing room to another and the game overstayed its welcome a bit as a result. Fortunately, the gunplay was just so much fun that most people didn't mind just so they could keep killing demons.

I think it's too early to tell. I would imagine that if the game gives you new movement mechanics, they'll also introduce new enemies to negate those benefits.

HELL YEAH!

Yeah, I'm replaying now and Foundry is the highlight of the game outside some of the earlier Hell levels. It has that Metroidvania feel with lots of exploration in it.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Why are you playing zDoom with jump on?

And it's not you having issues with the first game that's telling (that's fine: I've already said the first game more than had its flaws), it's seeing a few minutes of canned promotional footage and deciding to galaxy brain it up and post things like "the grappling hook is op and jumping is still too strong" Like, damn dude at least wait until you actually play the game before shitposting about it.

Nov 8, 2017
Looks really good. Got very hype when the archvile showed up. That's my favorite enemy from Doom 2, thought they were such cool enemies in that game. Can't wait. They didn't announce a release date did they? Maybe next year then?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds pretty good. I liked Doom but felt it wore out its welcome by the end. This information has me interested.