• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you playing zDoom with jump on?

And it's not you having issues with the first game that's telling (that's fine: I've already said the first game more than had its flaws), it's seeing a few minutes of canned promotional footage and deciding to galaxy brain it up and post things like "the grappling hook is op and jumping is still too strong" Like, damn dude at least wait until you actually play the game before shitposting about it.

It's not shit posting... The game is very similar to the first it isn't hard to figure out how this one will play.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Personally I find it nearly impossible to figure out how a game plays from five minutes of staged footage released several months before actual release, but I'm glad you were able to synthesize the fraction of the game they showed into a comprehensive analysis of the finished project and complain about it for us.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
As a campaign. I'm not talking about the gameplay. The way the levels progress and the game gets easier over time because they give you the OPest weapons so early on is not good.

I have played DOOM on all difficulties (except Ultra-Nightmare) and I have never experienced the game getting easier over time. Some of the late game rooms and challenges are brutal

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only nagging complaints I have about this are:
1) There's loads of enemies around but don't seem to do anything. Hopefully this is just for the demo (not sure why you'd show off super slow DOOM, mind) and the full game has things actually attack you.
2) Why would Doomguy need a knife

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The only nagging complaints I have about this are:
1) There's loads of enemies around but don't seem to do anything. Hopefully this is just for the demo (not sure why you'd show off super slow DOOM, mind) and the full game has things actually attack you.
2) Why would Doomguy need a knife

Doesn't need one.

Wants one.

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bets on this being "heaven"?

6fa884cf74a94d3b834a6888e6b787fa.jpg

I think this may be related to the DOOM novels. Don't want to spoil anyone, but if it is, then it's not "Heaven".

Oct 26, 2017
My only real problem with Doom 2016's campaign was that, imo, the level design took a hit as you progressed further and further into the game. The earlier levels just felt more satisfying to explore.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
needs to be added to op:

-will still have to wait until nvidia benchmark video to see how the game actually plays because bethesda marketing loves the walk key

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they gave Doomslayer predator armor, a grappling hook on a shotgun, and a sword? I'm fucking in. The setting, new demons, everything looks awesome. Hope they nail the tone of the story stuff again. It sounds like they're leaning hard into the Verhoeven esque corporate speak, which I'm totally down with.

Mortally challenged lol

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I know maybe it's not really a major gameplay component, but I'm definitely liking that there was a point about more "lore" as I did really enjoy the Lore entries in the first game that would accumulate as you progressed through the campaign. Looking forward to more of that for sure.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign was objectively bad in Doom '06. It had a negative difficulty curve, overstayed its welcome and was a series of arena rooms with only a few actually playing differently. I feel like this game will give you the SS right away and there is nothing that looks like a new way for the AI to actually harm the player who is jumping. The problem is that jumping is far too useful against the projectiles and now with the extra mobility it seems even easier to dodge attacks.

--

It's kinda a shame that there aren't more people to recognise the problems with the first game.
The literal entire point of Doom is to feel like an unstoppable killing machine, just like how Doomguy is portrayed in canon. Difficulty is not the defining factor of what makes a game good or bad, even then, there's multiple hard difficulties to choose from.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Glad to see the Archvile making a comeback. Summoners were cool and all, but that is just so much more what I wanted aesthetic-wise.

Also I'm starting to realize that making your main character in anything more like the Predator works out pretty damn well. More franchises should take advantage of that fact...

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
??
So you cant change the gameplay because of graphics...?
Not really, no.

They need more RAM and CPU bandwidth to do basically anything people actually wanted out of DOOM 4 such as roving hordes, bodies on the floor, more elaborate enemy ai and encounter design, denser /and/ bigger maps, etc

At most we're gonna get a lot of half steps to them here. Especially if they're at 60fps across the base consoles.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The only thing I don't like is that the level still looks a lot like those of DOOM 2016, despite being on Earth. Could use a bit more visual distinction.

Otherwise, it seems like the DOOM II to DOOM 2016's DOOM.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Human npcs, "doom universe" and invasions sound real iffy. What made the first game so fresh and special was that it eschewed so much standard modern game design.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gore is insane, like they are thinking of satisfy my gore needs!!

Chunks of meat and stuff flying all over and BLOOD!!

MY GOD!!

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I have played DOOM on all difficulties (except Ultra-Nightmare) and I have never experienced the game getting easier over time. Some of the late game rooms and challenges are brutal

Especially UN runs there's a point in the game where it becomes a lot easier to go without dying. Most deaths in a UN run are at the first areas of the game.

Arcade Mode even, it is far, far easier to get UN Slayer medals like 5 or 6 levels in than the first few (and even then there's a very stupid scoring system where it's very easy to do it you understand how medals work). That being said, arcade mode has a more balanced difficulty because of what is required to get medals.

The actual campaign gets progressively easier over time and it's a definitive fact of poor campaign design.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like "Ă  la Perfect Dark" ! :)
Exactly. Counter-Op was something Rare pioneered. It was a major mode in Perfect Dark, the greatest FPS game of all time, and Banjo Tooie featured a mostly functional implementation where another player took control of random enemies to attack Banjo, which was disabled in the final game but can be restored via gameshark.

I guess it's reflective of "everything was Dark Souls" gaming culture, but what Doom Eternal is implementing sounds like asymmetric counter operative where other players take control of enemies. It's wholly distinct from Dark Souls mechanic where you enter their game as a symmetric character. The asymmetry is very important. The main player has the position of strength, but as their opponent, you can keep coming back. You're cannon fodder, but savvy cannon fodder.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a bunch of lore in Do4M written by the Demon's perspective where they talk about how scared shitless they are of the DoomGuy.

"The age of his reckoning was uncounted. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell across eons, and each battle etched terror in the hearts of the demons. They knew he would come, as he always had, as he always will, to feast on the blood of the wicked. For he alone could draw strength from his fallen foes, and ever his power grew, swift and unrelenting."

"None could stand before the horde but the Doom Slayer. Despair spread before him like a plague, striking fear into the shadow-dwellers, driving them to deeper and darker pits. But from the depths of the abyss rose The Great One, a champion mightier than all who had come before. The Titan, of immeasurable power and ferocity. He strode upon the plain and faced the Doom Slayer, and a mighty battle was fought on the desolate plains. The Titan fought with the fury of the countless that had fallen at the Doom Slayer's hand, but there fell the Titan, and in his defeat the shadow horde were routed."