• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Basically
03b.gif

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: The death sound of the Archvile in Doom 2 is a pitch shifted little girl saying "why?"

Robert Prince said:
"The Archvile is an evil healer. Anyone getting in his way is blasted with fire and disintegrated. This includes other demons. But, after he has wrought his destruction, he then goes around and reanimates all of the demons. Because of this interesting dual personality, I decided to give him a very evil laugh as an active sound. For his death sound, I recorded a young girl saying 'why,' pitch shifted it down and mixed it with other sounds. The Archvile just doesn't understand why anyone would want to kill him as he sees himself as only doing good for his fellow demon."

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So it looks like they ditched the single best design decision from Doom 2016 and you don't pick up health and ammo from glory kills anymore. At least it looks like it from the PC gameplay bit.

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What DOOM novels? About the 2016 game?

What is it then? Spoil me.
EDIT: Oh no. I think I know what this is now.

I second this. Just tell us in spoiler tags, please.

Also what Doom novels?

id seems to build their universe with everything that was officially released in relation to the franchise. This includes a series of 4 books that took DOOM in a very unique direction. If you're not gonna read the books and only want to know what I believe may have inspired the "Heaven" concept art, then read this:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be GOTY 2019 and one of the best FPS of all time. Book it.

That bit where he says "we're building a Doom universe".

Whew.

Some of the concept art for new locations looks amazing.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking good for most part. Not to keen on that evade move, never was fan of that mechanic in UTs (big reason i'm more of a Quake guy really), but then again this is mostly single player, so whatever. Hopefully "invasions" can be disabled, i really detest merely the concept of involuntary multiplayer.

Also
EBOaJGW.jpg

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Looking good for most part. Not to keen on that evade move, never was fan of that mechanic in UTs (big reason i'm more of a Quake guy really), but then again this is mostly single player, so whatever. Hopefully "invasions" can be disabled, i really detest merely the concept of involuntary multiplayer.

Also
EBOaJGW.jpg
The evade mechanic is just like a sped-up strafe. Also, you definitely can turn it off.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about?

"Objectively bad"

You can be dismissed and put on the ignore list now. Bye!
You must be fun at parties. Come on man I hope your being facetious. Your gonna ignore the dude for THAT? Just because he thinks the doom 2016 is "objectively bad" doesn't make HIM so. LOL. No beef but give the guy a break, lol!

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

Also
EBOaJGW.jpg

/dead.

Who says silent protagonists can't have personalities?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Dear God it all looks and sounds so. Fucking. Goooooood

I didn't think iD would make my favorite shooter this gen but here we are and they look to surpass it already

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love the 2016 Doom reboot, mainly because of the fast paced action and the level design (for the most part very good). The "fallen city" gameplay reveal made be a bit worried though. The level reminded be a bit off Wolfenstein 2, which had terrible level design and ideas that turned a game with great potential into a disappointment. Man, the level design in there was so bad.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
DOOM 2016 also has a lots of lore. Audio and text logs, environmental storytelling, those few scenes with Hayden etc.

I wouldn't expect DOOM Eternal to turn into cutscene driven and deep story based game.

Seeing the first cinematic with Doom Guy using the red key like that, make me want to see more cinematics of him giving zero fuck around him.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Love the 2016 Doom reboot, mainly because of the fast paced action and the level design (for the most part very good). The "fallen city" gameplay reveal made be a bit worried though. The level reminded be a bit off Wolfenstein 2, which had terrible level design and ideas that turned a game with great potential into a disappointment. Man, the level design in there was so bad.

Also I notice that the map had some question marks which maybe are missions?
If you notice there was a a bigger "?", Which is possible theain quest.
If they have plans to make it like Dark Souls, then it make sense it take place in a giant map.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Also I am wondering who is the one who upgraded his armor. The same Demon from the first game? Make sense.
Also seeing Doom Guy having the sword, this means he fought Hayden and kick his ass and took it from him.
So I guess there is a bigger bad guy in the game than Hayden.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

What about DOOM Eternals map design is so worrying? Instead of hallways and arenas on UAE facility we have arenas build into falling city, aesthetic is just different. Open and multi level arena design clearly still is there with hallway transitions between.

P.S. Never quite understood Wolfenstein 2 hate, more the same with faster TTK which I was fine with even on harder difficulty settings.

Also I notice that the map had some question marks which maybe are missions?
If you notice there was a a bigger "?", Which is possible theain quest.
If they have plans to make it like Dark Souls, then it make sense it take place in a giant map.

Question marks are locations of secrets most likely, just like in DOOM 2016.

Edit: Doom Slayer is already on the quest, only one that matters. Eternal quest to rip and tear every demon.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
The only nagging complaints I have about this are:
1) There's loads of enemies around but don't seem to do anything. Hopefully this is just for the demo (not sure why you'd show off super slow DOOM, mind) and the full game has things actually attack you.
2) Why would Doomguy need a knife

Not fighting in glorious melee?
7ea.gif

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The actual campaign gets progressively easier over time and it's a definitive fact of poor campaign design.

Uh, it's a pretty standard trait of games that have progression systems (as Doom 2016 did). Your character gets better and your personal skill increases, making the game easier over time.

Hmm I can't fully agree. It's a good game for what it tried to do, which was something different. For what it was, I thought it worked pretty well.

Eh, Doom 3 tried to be a horror shooter and it wasn't even very good at that. Walking around in pitch dark and having to choose between seeing or shooting was a stupid design choice. Also, the enemy spawns were extremely predictable. Every time you walked into a room, an enemy either popped out of a closet or teleported in behind you.

P.S. Never quite understood Wolfenstein 2 hate, more the same with faster TTK which I was fine with even on harder difficulty settings.

He was probably referring specifically to the court house level. People tend to make sweeping generalizations based on single examples. He also likely played the game on consoles which made it much harder to deal with flanking enemies.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Also I am wondering who is the one who upgraded his armor. The same Demon from the first game? Make sense.
Also seeing Doom Guy having the sword, this means he fought Hayden and kick his ass and took it from him.
So I guess there is a bigger bad guy in the game than Hayden.

cc84696bf92c8a864c13aebabec53324.jpg

He was just asleep in Doom 2016.

He's coming back. Final boss in Doom 1996 was Spider Mastermind, same thing in Doom 2016. I'll eat my hat if the Icon of Sin doesn't close out Doom Eternal.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The game looks so freak good!

Just one thing... It's more faithful to the original sure, but i prefere the version of mancubus we got in doom 2016

Tnct1pa.jpg
Maybe he will be available as a playable Demon in the Invasion part of the game.
If I remember even the Player Mancubus was a little different from the standard model.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could somebody do me a huge favour and gif the bit where he does the glory kill and bops the demon head BACK DOWN INTO his own body?

Thankyoupls.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
If Hell is Metal as fuck, so why not Heaven as well.
I want to see multi-eye Lovecraftian Angels in the game god dammit!
Duuuude yes, I'd love it if the angels looked like this

6972862000862dbb422345c18d0ab1fc.jpg

th
02-13-2017-cherubimsm.png

1431741763264.png

Frankly I wish Heaven looked more freaky and disturbing rather than clean and gold. Like a eldritch horror world but with feathers and some nice white drapes.