• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
things i like: the new enemy designs. they're a lot more retro inspired. they got halfway there with doom 2016, but there were still a few remnants of doom 3 in there which seemed to clash with the others a little.
i also like the way enemies seem to be a constant presence, i found doom 2016 had a problem with wasted empty connecting corridors that simply lead to open combat arenas. this seem to at least populate the connecting corridors with enemies, albeit really slow, basic ones.

things i don't like: it doesn't seem to have evolved much in terms of it's bigger combat scenarios. it's still very much arena based, which tend to be too obvious in the way they're introduced ie. "that large empty pit is clearly a combat arena" *cue 7 waves of enemies spawning in to kill you*. for me that isn't doom. doom is monster closets, secret areas, corridors and rooms full of enemies and maze like level design with a hint of horror and tension. 2016 got this very wrong and this just looks like it's an extension of that to me. i was honestly hoping we'd get something more faithful to the old games in the sequel, but i guess not. instead we get blade arms and grapple hooks :/

so for now, its one i'll likely play, but it's unlikely it'll be right away. maybe £15. hopefully it'll reach that pricepoint as fast as doom 2016 did.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Wow, that exceeded my expectations. My biggest complaint with DOOM '16 was that the campaign wore out it's welcome near the end. It seems ID doubled down on everything I adored about DOOM '16.

They make it even easier to get up close and personal with the demons. They amped up the gore and it has gameplay ramifications. It uses Doom II enemy (re)designs.

They are expanding the lore which was amazingly self-aware and tonally perfect in D'16 for me. As I understand it, the story and tone came together in the last stretch of development so they were not able to give this the depth nor attention they wanted. What was there worked beautifully because it all fit so well with the character and world. I found it genuinely engaging and funny so I'd love more of that completely bonkers, gleefully stupid story and lore stuff.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
swrdswvi86.jpg

Lmao my mission is to get swords in every game.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Weird weird weird complaint but when they showed the sprite of the Zombie Sergeant compared to Eternal's concept art, where the hell is that sprite from? Isn't the one from the old games!

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The Super Shotgun is to Doomguy what the Dragon Sword is to Ryu Hyabusa. It's OK if the game has one objectively best weapon that can be used to defeat every encounter, as long as the other weapons have interesting mechanics or are powerful with rare ammunition.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Q3-Q4 I imagine as they have RAGE 2 slotted for first half of the year.
Not sure that's the best possible slot, given the yearly Battlefield (or Battlefront or whatever) and CoD and whatever else's gonna come out then.
But then again, i guess it is something of a damned if you do, damned if you don't...