• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for DOOM Eternal?

• 95-99

Votes: 118 6.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 950 50.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 697 37.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 83 4.4%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.5%
  • <75

Votes: 10 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
xZwnyb6.gif

AXX9DsJ.gif

4AMtOUc.gif

IGN.nl - 9.2/10
DOOM Eternal is nothing short of a triumph for ID Software. Bold, brimming with confidence and full of energy. DOOM Eternal is singleplayer FPS at its very best. It's fast, hectic, with just a pinch of tactic thrown in for good measure. The game has more than enough worldbuilding to have me wondering where they will take this next. The campaign keeps the player's interest from start to finish and is absolutely stuffed with unlockables and secrets to further add to the roughly 18 hours it'll take you to finish it. Is the game absolutely perfect? Of course not, but there are very few shooters who approach perfection this closely.

IGN - 9/10
Simply put, Doom Eternal is one of the best first-person shooter campaigns I've played in years. As the second game of its kind it's lost some of its novelty but none of the joy of its intense and furious combat style. This excellent refinement of the already outstanding 2016 reboot makes you an unspoken deal: if you can keep up with it, it will keep up with you. It continually teaches you how to play faster, smarter, and more efficiently, with lots of options at every step of the way to tailor fights to your prefered slaying style, and it's an absolute blast along the way.

GameSpot - 8/10
Combat is a constant calculation in the best ways to slay, Well-designed arenas enable speed, mobility, and intensity in battles, Platforming and finding secrets are a fun, welcome break from fights, Pickups from kills create tons of white-knuckle survival moments.

USGamer - Unscored
Doom was a nearly-perfect ode to digital brutality in 2016, recasting the original Doom games in a new image. It was fast and vicious, with the perfect mix of FPS combat, story, and level design. It also didn't overstay its welcome. Doom Eternal mostly manages to avoid the bloat that plagues other sequels, but it also roughs up that perfect pacing with more lore, sometimes muddy platforming, and more collectibles to find. Doom Eternal survives to the end, fist raised in triumph, it just takes a few more hits than its predecessor did to get there. Still, as Space Viking King says, "You remain unbroken." Doom Eternal is certainly not broken, and in these trying times, I think we all need a little "rip and tear" in our lives.

Press Start AU - 10/10
Doom Eternal is a bigger and better sequel in practically every way. It has fast and frenetic combat, an unrelenting horde of enemies and some truly epic moments throughout its well-paced campaign. It's everything a sequel should be and easily one of the best shooters I've ever played. Make no mistakes, Doom Eternal is Doom at it's best.

Destructoid - 8.5/10
Doom Eternal keeps the strong foundation built back in 2016 intact, while adding some of its own panache in the process. I think we can officially declare that the last iteration wasn't just a lone fluke, and that Doom is back in the shooter spotlight where it belongs.

TheSixthAxis - 10/10
Doom Eternal doesn't just set the bar, it breaks it. Many of the best games of the FPS genre do what has already been done, and can do it really, really well, but Doom Eternal does what no other game has done before, crafting a fast-paced power fantasy that sets your brain cells on fire. It's an addictive exploration of the mythic Doomslayer character that delivers hours of blood-drenched fun, dozens of memorable collectibles, and a fan-pleasing story book-ended with gorgeous worlds and unforgettable music. Doom Eternal is a ripping, tearing masterpiece.

COGconnected - 96/100
Doom Eternal is a phenomenal game. It's incredibly intense, like id Software did a massive burnout on the faces of other shooters. The movement and shooting is perfection, and the balance is immaculate and restrained despite being the video game equivalent of standing too close to a rocket launch. If you've got any fondness for shooters, the 90's, or fun generally, consider Doom Eternal absolutely essential.

Metro - 8/10
A significant improvement on the reboot and while there are still a few flaws the core combat is some of the best in any first person shooter this generation.

JeuxVideo - 18/20
Doom Eternal: this is a big "yes", a destructive trance to which we get attached very quickly, which offers us a biblical story revisited very interesting and gameplay of incredible nervousness. A true ode to fast-FPS, immersive, which offers, over a more than honest lifespan, smart, intense battles and a memorable and varied hell dive. An apnea from which you only come out to rest your eyes, your heart, your mind ... and catch your breath!

3DJuegos - 9.5/10
It seems difficult to think that the Doom franchise can raise its level of intensity even further, but it certainly does. Not only are all the additions welcome, but we can no longer imagine Doom without them.

PC Gamer - 94/100
Doom Eternal is a ceaseless, panicked nightmare that pushes you to point and click with more skill and style than ever before.

Progress Bar -
9/10
DOOM Eternal is arcadey but cinematic, silly but brutal, joyously gratifying but deeply challenging. It's an evolution, a continuation of the ideas first presented in 2016, rather than a mindless rehash. DOOM 2016 brought the franchise back from the dead, in 2020 id Software has proven that DOOM is Eternal.

Cubed3 -
10/10
This isn't just a sequel. The demons are far more aggressive, their legions have been reinforced with some new baddies, and the Slayer has become an even more dangerous opponent, with more ways at his disposal to destroy everything on his path to the invaders. This almost feels like an entirely new experience, as every single aspect of its predecessor has seen an upgrade or revision. The concept of "push-forward combat" is even better this time around, forcing you to be in the moment every moment. In fact, the only real flaw here, if you can call it a flaw, is how excruciatingly brutal, remorseless, and chaotic DOOM Eternal can be. This simply makes everything else feel dull in comparison…

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
getting this thread up early as i'm about to sleep, been pulling an all-nighter to fix my sleep schedule so hopefully i wake up in time for the review embargo to lift

peace

also 90+ GANG LET'S GOOOO, id deserve a juicy W after pouring so much love and effort into DE

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
From what little I've seen and what I've heard from Hugo Martin in interviews, this game is going to be goddamn phenomenal. I'm guessing 89-92.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like its been hard for FPS to score past 90 this gen.

The game looks fantastic.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Opencritic link since many prefer it when it goes live:
opencritic.com

DOOM Eternal Reviews

DOOM Eternal builds on the 2016 reboot by further polishing every aspect of it's gameplay, visuals and soundtrack to create the ultimate DOOM experience.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Every preview i've read has been super positive, so I can't see it getting anything less then an 89

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Everything show makes it look like the best action FPS ever made. I'm hoping for 95+

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Low 90s, easy. The only reason it won't score higher is because it doesn't have a gun that shoots swords.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Same score as Animal Crossing, to keep the meme alive.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I don't see many red flags stopping this from getting 9's and 10's. Maybe if the platforming sections don't shake out as well as they should? Otherwise it really just feels like a slam dunk.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unless they absolutely dropped the ball compared to the last DOOM (it's possible), I'm guessing low-to-mid 90s.