• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The plot/story/worldbuilding stuff is in this trailer because that kind of stuff makes for good, well-paced trailers that hold a chance of bringing in new customers who weren't already convinced by playing the first game. I severely doubt the plot's going to be any more in-your-face and forced than the first game - you can tell from the Noclip interviews that they know that's not what Doom's about. It'll be there and it'll be able to be ignored if you don't care, just like before.

Less sure about being able to see the Doomslayer's face this time around, though. But at the same time, I really loved this shot in the trailer because of his face and how, in combination with his body language, he just looks furious within that second or two, and vibing strong with the Doom 2016 mood. That shot would be worse if it was a blank faceplate.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The lore building is great, it lends a sense of horror/stakes to the proceedings, but also contrasts nicely with the comedy gold that is Doomguy. I mean, he literally loads himself into a giant shotgun and shoots himself across space in this game. It reminds me of the Hellboy comics where the villains give these long pretentious monologues about destiny, etc, and then Hellboy deflates them with a dismissive one-liner like the no-bullshit blue-collar working stiff he is. Here you have angels and demons trying to talk sense into Doomguy but he's not hearing it. I mean, how could he hear anything over the deafening blast of his Super Shotgun. :)

Pretty much. They're setting up all these badass demons and godlike figures to make the Slayer look even more ridiculous when he takes them out. When the game was first presented, Hugo Martin said something along the lines of "a hero is only as powerful as the enemies they defeat", or something to that effect, and the vibe I'm getting from the story stuff they've shown is that it's all working toward that.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Someone PLEASE tell me there's a longer version of the music played during the gameplay reel in the trailer.

So HYPE. I can't wait for this game.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I hope the new gameplay additions keep me engaged more than Doom 2016. I felt like the last 3rd of that game didn't do enough to differentiate encounters and it began to feel a bit repetitive.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The plot/story/worldbuilding stuff is in this trailer because that kind of stuff makes for good, well-paced trailers that hold a chance of bringing in new customers who weren't already convinced by playing the first game. I severely doubt the plot's going to be any more in-your-face and forced than the first game - you can tell from the Noclip interviews that they know that's not what Doom's about. It'll be there and it'll be able to be ignored if you don't care, just like before.

Less sure about being able to see the Doomslayer's face this time around, though. But at the same time, I really loved this shot in the trailer because of his face and how, in combination with his body language, he just looks furious within that second or two, and vibing strong with the Doom 2016 mood. That shot would be worse if it was a blank faceplate.
Yes, it's very early to hit the CONCERN button over story bloat. I get the worry because that happens a lot when lean action games get a bigger budget for the sequel. A trailer for a mainstream audience needs to be a little story heavy. True heads like us might be good with nothing but glory kills set to Mick Gordon music for 2 minutes, but they need to sell this to the unwashed masses too.

I'm also fine with the face being seen *through the mask.* No shots with the helmet off. Judge Dredd rules. Acceptable exception is from behind while putting the helmet on. I only want to see ANGRY EYES.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hope the new gameplay additions keep me engaged more than Doom 2016. I felt like the last 3rd of that game didn't do enough to differentiate encounters and it began to feel a bit repetitive.
They specifically addressed this at one of the E3 presentations and said that new elements will be introduced all the way through to the end of the game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The only time the story in the last game overstayed its welcome was in like Mission 8 where you have to listen to Optimus Prime ramble on and on in his Mars office

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
"Doom Slayer had no face"

Who's this guy in Quake Champions then?
maxresdefault.jpg

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah this is my issue. The mythos just sounds so goofy.
A lot of things seem goofier this time around, and not in ways that I like.

To the people saying too much plot get over yourselves and just ignore the lore and slay. For those of us that enjoy it (myself included) we can collect all the story morsels and feast. Win win?
If it's a matter of collecting the story, sure, I'll "get over myself". If it's gonna be cutscenes and expositions
What I liked about DOOM 2016 is that the mythos was there in the info logs if you were curious enough to delve into it (and it was really interesting and funny) but it was not in any way a focus of the actual game, which was lean and mean and trimmed all the fat, pretty worrying that this stuff is now seemingly a large part of the game.

Said it before but I think just seeing cutscenes of Doomguy doing things is pretty weird, like the last game seemed like it purposefully ignored any greater storytelling and here we have actual scenes of him jumping around and doing heroic shit? I dunno, it all just seems antithetical to the previous game, which was so refreshing because it was intentionally giving the middle finger to modern gaming conventions and just got on with it.

We'll see though, they had to cut a trailer after all, so all this stuff might seem more predominate than it actually is in the flow of the game.
Exactly this, yeah. The material they had to cut a trailer with comes from the game, and it's a bit iffy.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
To everyone getting worried about too much plot, I think this person has a good point :
Pretty much. They're setting up all these badass demons and godlike figures to make the Slayer look even more ridiculous when he takes them out. When the game was first presented, Hugo Martin said something along the lines of "a hero is only as powerful as the enemies they defeat", or something to that effect, and the vibe I'm getting from the story stuff they've shown is that it's all working toward that.
Pretty sure this is gonna go this way. They'll introduce all these ultra baddies and make them look scary and dangerous only for Doom Slayer to not even listen to a word they say and crush them while they scream in terror

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019

It's been ridiculous since the beginning

Edit:
Steven is right.

Doom 2016 is about doomguy. The same guy from Doom 1 and 2. That's how I interpreted the game anyway, and it seemed pretty implicit.

Based on the lore they seem to have made Doom 64 canon as well...which I'm cool with because it was my second favorite Doom game back then.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Steven is right.

Doom 2016 is about doomguy. The same guy from Doom 1 and 2. That's how I interpreted the game anyway, and it seemed pretty implicit.
nothing about it was explicit as it referenced him being in hell for like thousands of years and being part of who ever the night sentinels are, which is not part of any previous doom. Also his armor was made In hell. anything but explicit, it was intentionally vague which is why they said they will answer that question in this game.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
nothing about it was explicit as it referenced him being in hell for like thousands of years and being part of who ever the night sentinels are, which is not part of any previous doom. Also his armor was made In hell. anything but explicit, it was intentionally vague which is why they said they will answer that question in this game.
Yeah, see that's why I said 'implicit'.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019

If you count the lore of Doom 64, which these devs did, then the first part of your statement can make sense and it could be considered the same guy.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
fair enough though 2016 didnt imply it either.
So he fist bumps the doomguy collectable and none of the others because?

So the praetor armor just happens to look like doomguy's marine armor (including human letters and numbers) because?

Quake Champions has already explicitly spelled it out. I'm going to keep believing it was always their intent even if they didn't make it explicit in 2016, vs doing a giant retcon for his appearance in Quake Champions.

He's the same guy from Doom 1 and 2. Some random guy (well, BJ's descendant), who turned out to be absurdly good at killing demons to the point where he became a mythical entity in their eyes. Time travel, multi universe stuff ensue, and he ends up in Doom 2016.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
He's the same guy from Doom 1 and 2. Some random guy (well, BJ's descendant), who turned out to be absurdly good at killing demons to the point where he became a mythical entity in their eyes. Time travel, multi universe stuff ensue, and he ends up in Doom 2016.

Not quite. After Doom 64(which takes place after 2), he decided to remain in hell and slay demons for the sake of humanity for years and years. You have to count that game due to how he was found in 2016.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not quite. After Doom 64(which takes place after 2), he decided to remain in hell and slay demons for the sake of humanity for years and years. You have to count that game due to how he was found in 2016.
And yet 2016 makes it seem like this is the first time the UAC fucked up and demon-related shenanigans ensued.

There has to be some multiverse stuff going on.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough. I thought the 2016 game did a good enough job of connecting 1, 2, and 64 to it. The only game that felt shafted from the lore was Doom 3, but it's understandable as to why.
But I thought Doom 3 was another character, neither Doomguy or Doomslayer, so why would it have to be retconned if Doomslayer = Doomguy? I'm lost lol

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wasn't discounting 64. I'm just not sure you get him to 2016 without time travel and alternate dimensions. I guess we'll see if Eternals confirms this as the second invasion of Earth or not, but given the plot seems to revolve around the demons being presented to humanity as not demons initially, I'm guessing this isn't the same Earth that already got invaded by hell before.

But I thought Doom 3 was another character, neither Doomguy or Doomslayer, so why would it have to be retconned if Doomslayer = Doomguy? I'm lost lol
Doom 3 was always presented as a reboot, yeah. I don't think Doom 2016 'shafts' it. Doom 3 Marine could still be included or acknowledged in someway, as being in or from yet another reality hell tried to invade.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
And yet 2016 makes it seem like this is the first time the UAC fucked up and demon-related shenanigans ensued.

I never got that feeling at all. Both antagonists knew almost exactly what they were looking for from hell and all of the facilities had demon alarms. If this was their first rodeo they wouldn't have been searching for anything specific and would have just accidentally opened a portal. They specifically wanted argent energy, weaponized demons, and the doomguy as a backup plan.

That is one way to take it to make it canon. Others took it as a soft horror reboot of the franchise. 3 is odd in how it fits.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There has to be some multiverse stuff going on.
It is a multiverse thing.

Hell connects to every universe. Doom guy was found in hell by the UAC from the current universe. Doom guy probably went through the same UAC fuck up many times in a different universe.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Tangent here but is Quake Champions good? Does it feel like an older arena shooter? Thinking of giving it a go, but I haven't played a shooter online in years so I expect to get my ass handed to me.

On topic: Can't wait. Kick ass trailer. Doom 2016 was my favorite shooter in years.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Tangent here but is Quake Champions good? Does it feel like an older arena shooter? Thinking of giving it a go, but I haven't played a shooter online in years so I expect to get my ass handed to me.

On topic: Can't wait. Kick ass trailer. Doom 2016 was my favorite shooter in years.
It's really good, but sadly not many people play. At least here in LatAm most of the people that still play have been playing non-stop since Quake 3 so it's kinda hard lol

Bethesda should just put Quake Champions in Doom Eternal for the multiplayer, maybe that would give it more life.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Hell connects to every universe. Doom guy was found in hell by the UAC from the current universe. Doom guy probably went through the same UAC fuck up many times in a different universe.

Iunno, the demons are scared of the Doom Slayer, singular. I could get that maybe they're assuming several guys who look the same are all the same guy, but it seems odd that if there's a singular hell that connects every multiverse, there are not at least twelve Doom Slayers rampaging through it at once at any given moment.

I still think Doom 1-2-64-2016 are all the same guy, with Doom 3 being a different guy.

That said, I wish they would go with a multiverse at some point. If the Doom Slayer went through a portal and came out in a slimy subterranean grotto with a castle in it.. *chefs kiss*

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Doom 3 was always presented as a reboot, yeah. I don't think Doom 2016 'shafts' it. Doom 3 Marine could still be included or acknowledged in someway, as being in or from yet another reality hell tried to invade.
I never got that feeling at all. Both antagonists knew almost exactly what they were looking for from hell and all of the facilities had demon alarms. If this was their first rodeo they wouldn't have been searching for anything specific and would have just accidentally opened a portal. They specifically wanted argent energy, weaponized demons, and the doomguy as a backup plan.
That is one way to take it to make it canon. Others took it as a soft horror reboot of the franchise. 3 is odd in how it fits.
Right? I mean they don't even have to retcon if it was a completely different guy. I really like to idea of Hell being unique in all universes and connecting them all, I hope that's what we get in Eternal, and they make some shenanigans in the game where maybe you quickly pass by the other universes, maybe going to the original earth from Doom 1 and 2. And imo the Eternal subtitle makes it very plausible that's the route they're gonna take

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Right? I mean they don't even have to retcon if it was a completely different guy. I really like to idea of Hell being unique in all universes and connecting them all, I hope that's what we get in Eternal, and they make some shenanigans in the game where maybe you quickly pass by the other universes, maybe going to the original earth from Doom 1 and 2. And imo the Eternal subtitle makes it very plausible that's the route they're gonna take
Yeah! This is how I've been interpreting things and I hope it's what they've done.

Hell is a singular thing linked to various other 'human' realities. The Doomslayer is THE Doomslayer because despite all the other universes, he's a singular thing, even if Doom 3 marine would be a pretty formidable thing too. His 'body count' is nowhere near Doomguy/The Doomslayer's, even if we stick Doom 3 against any single game the Doomslayer was in.

Who knows how many mortal realms have been completely compromised by Hell in this reality?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.
Iunno, the demons are scared of the Doom Slayer, singular. I could get that maybe they're assuming several guys who look the same are all the same guy, but it seems odd that if there's a singular hell that connects every multiverse, there are not at least twelve Doom Slayers rampaging through it at once at any given moment.

I still think Doom 1-2-64-2016 are all the same guy, with Doom 3 being a different guy.

That said, I wish they would go with a multiverse at some point. If the Doom Slayer went through a portal and came out in a slimy subterranean grotto with a castle in it.. *chefs kiss*
I believe that the supposed Doom Slayer they are talking about is the original Doom Guy. Think about it, he looks the same and his backstory fits with Doom 64. The whole Doom slayer thing is just a thing the demons dubbed him cause he kicked their ass so hard they made a bible about it.

Doom 3 has a tomb of a supposed ancient hero that defended mars ages ago. Suspiciously it looks like the one Doom guy was stuck in at the start of Doom 4. Safe to say the Doom 3 marine is a different marine that lives in another universe connected to the samee hell in all the Doom games.

I do wonder if we will ever see the doom guy from the expansion pack of Doom 3. His fate is unknown.

Oct 30, 2017
So if Doomguy is the same person in Doom 1, 2, 2016, and Eternal...is his planet-hopping and time-traveling his own doing or is he on some mission from God and is being transported to fight demons with no control in decision-making?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So if Doomguy is the same person in Doom 1, 2, 2016, and Eternal...is his planet-hopping and time-traveling his own doing or is he on some mission from God and is being transported to fight demons with no control in decision-making?
He's Bethesda's Gordon Freeman, but pissed off and with no clear outside influence until 2016/Eternal.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My biggest question about Eternal right now is whether they're gonna explain how/why the demons regressed to forms that look more like their Doom 2 versions instead of keeping their 2016 look.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest question about Eternal right now is whether they're gonna explain how/why the demons regressed to forms that look more like their Doom 2 versions instead of keeping their 2016 look.
Wow nice, didnt even catch that! Gives more credence to the multiverse theory then, maybe they actually are the demons from 2 :)