• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the same face because the Doom Slayer was reincarnated in the dead Doom guy's body? I think that's how the lore goes at least. Doom guy died in Doom 1, his body was host to the Slayer. Something like that.
Not sure where you got that from but Doom Guy doesn't die in 1. If you are talking about the teleporter ending at the end of episode 1 then he doesn't die there. Infact the screen cuts to black when you hit 20 health and Doom guy goes to deimos.

Not to mention Doom Guy has a pet bunny called Daisy, which he finds dead once he returns to earth and vows revenge towards the demons for what they did to her.

May 26, 2018
Moments after kicking the asses of both demons and angels, and settling down with the fuzzy bunny children of his late pet rabbit Daisy.

4ezIzWF.jpg.f74e8b271cfff7beb39ae87c1a168e7f.jpg

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Sam Hayden, robot man, exploits hell to solve human energy crisis. Gets betrayed by Olivia Pierce who goes bonkers cuz demon whispers and opens up the portals to hell. Hayden wakes up Halo, who is a pretty cool guy, eh kills dmeons and doesn't afraid of anything. Doom Guy kills Olivia, invades Hell, steals the crucible, and then Hayden rewards him by putting him back under and stealing the crucible to continue harnessing hell energy, something something greater good.
Lol. yup. Still....I read that sentence and....Nope. It's like noise. Doom is actually HEAVY METAL GUITAR AND SHOTGUN NOISE !!!!!!!

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
As someone who only owns a Switch, the fact that there is no mention of this game still coming to the platform is concerning. They even scrubbed the logo, and it being delayed indefinitely last year is already a bad sign.

This just looks so goddamn good. I guess I will somehow hustle my way to a PS4 once this releases instead of waiting for something that might never come.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
For some reason I'm totally not feeling this one.

I get that people like this kind of gameplay, but I feel like a lot of franchises matured this gen, but DOOM seems to go all out with silly arcade-like and extremely exaggerating mechanics and shooting after the grounded and grim DOOM 3, which I like a lot more. This looks like a dark comedy rather than a hellish shooter with demons.

Wish they did something more like Quake II and DOOM 3 with up-to-date storytelling and graphics.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only owns a Switch, the fact that there is no mention of this game still coming to the platform is concerning. They even scrubbed the logo, and it being delayed indefinitely last year is already a bad sign.

This just looks so goddamn good. I guess I will somehow hustle my way to a PS4 once this releases instead of waiting for something that might never come.

I was going to say: "But isn't it on the website" but it's been scrubbed from there too.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where you got that from but Doom Guy doesn't die in 1. If you are talking about the teleporter ending at the end of episode 1 then he doesn't die there. Infact the screen cuts to black when you hit 20 health and Doom guy goes to deimos.

Not to mention Doom Guy has a pet bunny called Daisy, which he finds dead once he returns to earth and vows revenge towards the demons for what they did to her.
I got it from the in-game lore and one or two video essays piecing together how D16 arranged the events of D1 and 2. Can't recall what videos as it was a few years ago and I'm taking a shit now while I type with one hand.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I get that people like this kind of gameplay, but I feel like a lot of franchises matured this gen, but DOOM seems to go all out with silly arcade-like and extremely exaggerating mechanics and shooting after the grounded and grim DOOM 3, which I like a lot more. This looks like a dark comedy rather than a hellish shooter with demons.

Wish they did something more like Quake II and DOOM 3 with up-to-date storytelling and graphics.
"Mature" doesn't mean going dark and gritty. That was the mistake a lot of franchises made last gen.

Taking what worked from DOOM 2016 and expanding and improving on it is a way to mature too.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Holy, fucking, shit. Everything looked pitch perfect. The music. The art. The story even. What a package. Day 1 bitches!

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I got it from the in-game lore and one or two video essays piecing together how D16 arranged the events of D1 and 2. Can't recall what videos as it was a few years ago and I'm taking a shit now while I type with one hand.
I see.

It seems that it has been debunked anyway even if it was true. Cause in this trailer they call him human and want to get rid of him cause he goes against the so called "prophecy" or some kind of shit.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This sounds like the take of "stylized/animated films can't be mature" or other hot takes about the style of something meaning it can't handle any other kind of material.

The "silly arcade-like" gameplay is what people came back to the franchise for because in an age of cover based shooting, regenning health, and "realism" we finally got something that was "Game-y" in its design.

Seriousness =/= maturity and knowing when to let loose is also a good tool to have, and people have been outspoken about loving the craziness of the Doom reboot.

Aside from Doom 3, something a lot of fans didn't like (myself included) the franchise has almost always been...This. It's like being upset DMC5 is more crazy wahoo pizza time instead of the boring shit in DMC2. Yeah it existed but no one who came to DMC for that action and fun likes that one.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I loved the trailer, but was not feeling the music at all.
Can't wait to blow up some angels?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Not going to be a hater, but if this game has less Hayden than DOOM 2016 that's a mistake. Hayden is as much part of the rebooted DOOM as double jumping and glory kills.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

So DOOM is "Serious business" now? Games CAN STILL BE GAMEY.

Oct 25, 2017
Maturity/realism/seriousness and all that other stuff is overrated and often limits the potential of game design. Games like the last of us are cool and all, but a game not being afraid of having the player jump through Mario style fire bars in order to get a collectible are just as worthwhile.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
"Mature" doesn't mean going dark and gritty. That was the mistake a lot of franchises made last gen.

Taking what worked from DOOM 2016 and expanding and improving on it is a way to mature too.

I'm just missing the slightest touch of realism mechanics-wise and "grounded-ness". I just think it looks completely over the top and wished the game took itself slightly more serious. Hell has broken loose, but it doesn't really look like it in my opinion. It has nothing to do anymore with the old games. It's to colorful. Only thing missing is some evil undead unicorns.

But that's just me. I'm probably buying it anyway if it reviews good, as someone who grew up with the DOOM games.

This sounds like the take of "stylized/animated films can't be mature" or other hot takes about the style of something meaning it can't handle any other kind of material.

The "silly arcade-like" gameplay is what people came back to the franchise for because in an age of cover based shooting, regenning health, and "realism" we finally got something that was "Game-y" in its design.

Seriousness =/= maturity and knowing when to let loose is also a good tool to have, and people have been outspoken about loving the craziness of the Doom reboot.

Aside from Doom 3, something a lot of fans didn't like (myself included) the franchise has almost always been...This.

And I'm not digging it. It's that okay?

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019

i'm glad you aren't getting what you want

Oct 25, 2017

I played DOOM (2016) last year and it's basically this but with less weapons and variety and it's one of the best FPS's of the last generation and decade on all accounts

What does mature even mean in this context? Doom 3 had horrible storytelling. DOOM 2016 is much better in that regard, too.

I'm just missing the slightest touch of realism mechanics-wise and "grounded-ness". I just think it looks completely over the top and wished the game took itself slightly more serious. Hell has broken loose, but it doesn't really look like it in my opinion. It has nothing to do anymore with the old games. It's to colorful. Only thing missing is some evil undead unicorns.

But that's just me. I'm probably buying it anyway if it reviews good, as someone who grew up with the DOOM games.

How is DOOM 3 more like the old games and this and DOOM 2016 are not?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

And I'm not digging it. It's that okay?
I just think your phrasing is poor in the sense that you think mature/realism = better game, and honestly over the top and dead unicorns sounds perfectly okay to me. Like what does "realism mechanics wise" even mean? Like more fall damage? Like having to reload more? Slowing it down? I dunno I'm not down for any of that.

This idea that games have to "prove something" other media gets really old. Games can still be games and yes it's "okay" that you don't like it, but saying that it's immature or saying that it's bad because it's itself is like going into a horror game thread and going "I don't like it because it's too dark and dreary." That's what the franchise is now.

You can't say "it's just my opinion" and then try to levy critique using the older games as references and say that it needs more "realism" and stuff, because that's the opposite of what we need, yet ANOTHER "grounded" regen based shooter that slows everything down. I grew up with DOOM games too and this and the 2016 reboot straddle the line perfectly between the style and subtance of the original. Hell is suitably dark and gory and terrifying and filled with blood, bones, and butchers, and the cyber bases are just updated versions of what they could only show in limited graphics before.

Playing old doom is fast, frenetic and exciting, and over the top as well for the graphic capabilities and game tech at the time. Going backwards isn't going to tie it any more to the old games my dude. But yeah you can not dig it. Just don't critique it using made up comparisons and goal post shifting.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks cool. Love it doing it's own thing, just outrageous fun. It's Doom, no imitations.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Looking more at that sword, seems like it could be similiar to Shadow Warrior. I might be wrong but it doesn't look like a glory kill to me and I don't know how they would make it fun if you couldn't slash shit normally.

The new gore system makes slashing shit while looking good possible.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Looking more at that sword, seems like it could be similiar to Shadow Warrior. I might be wrong but it doesn't look like a glory kill to me and I don't know how they would make it fun if you couldn't slash shit normally.

The new gore system makes slashing shit while looking good possible.

It most likely will replace chainsaw.

Or have we seen chainsaw too in Eternal? I don't remember.

The grandfather of FPS still knows how to do it better than just about any of its descendants. It's so beautiful to see.

Could you pretty please trim title to just "DOOM Eternal - Trailer 2"? :b

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I see from this game makes me feel like it's gonna be something special. Like if I had to put money on it, I'd bet this is the most likely big budget game coming out this year to be essentially perfect given its focus and how much time and thought they've put into it based on interviews and gameplay demos.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The delay is actually a good sign for the eventual quality of the port. I was super worried for the Switch version when it was set to launch with the rest.

I see one of two scenarios here:

- Switch version has been cancelled (I honestly doubt this)
- Panic Button has been given 6-12 extra months to create a great Switch port and this version will receive its own separate marketing cycle, supported by Nintendo. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo helps foot the bill for a 32gb cart. Because of this, there's no reason to advertise the Switch SKU anytime soon, be it via the website, trailers, or other marketing materials.

I wouldn't worry about the Switch version. Bethesda seems happy to be working with Nintendo.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Everything I see from this game makes me feel like it's gonna be something special. Like if I had to put money on it, I'd bet this is the most likely big budget game coming out this year to be essentially perfect given its focus and how much time and thought they've put into it based on interviews and gameplay demos.

Yep, I can see other games being "better" received overall but this is could be one of the few games (like Doom16 before and also DMC5 for example) that absolutely, 100% excels at exactly what it wants to deliver. Which is quite special to me.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm guessing this version of Doom would have been more up your alley....

Thank goodness this was not the direction DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal took. Just isn't what I want from a game called DOOM. There are plenty of other AAA games that do what you want and not enough AAA games that understand that it doesn't always have to be grounded in realism. Also... DOOM 2016's story and lore eclipses DOOM 3's.