• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The biggest 2 issues I had with the first game before I dropped it were lack of presentation and lack of different environments.

Very happy that the trailer is addressing those issues. Hopefully the game follows suit because the gameplay continues to look rad as hell.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The only concern I have is with the direction taken with and presentation of the narrative. Doom 16's narrative is elegant and simple greatly to its favour. This seems to double down more on forming a solidified identity and purpose for the Doom Slayer, which I'm not convinced is the right direction and instead the opposite of its predecessor's strengths. But we'll see. Everything else looks wonderful, so I'm optimistic.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah I don't like it, it kind of 'humanizes' him instead of him being a faceless demon-killing machine. It's a minor complaint, Doom 2016 is probably my favorite game of all time.
Good. Let the spawn of Hell know that an individual human is destroying them all. Wouldn't want them to get the idea that Doomslayer is more than that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm fine with seeing the Doom Slayer's face. Seeing his face has been a thing since the first one.

Man, I can't wait for this.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think just seeing Doom Slayer do stuff in third person is weird. One of Doom 2016's narrative strengths was him having only his hands to emote, and boy did he emote. Even previous footage of this game has shown many instances of the Slayer being a much bigger character than you could expect a pair of hands in a video game to be.

I thought that was a major part of how they wanted to tell their story, kinda bummed to see that aspect lessened.

Still my most anticipated game of the year of course.

Nov 8, 2017
The only concern I have is with the direction taken with and presentation of the narrative. Doom 16's narrative is elegant and simple greatly to its favour. This seems to double down more on forming a solidified identity and purpose for the Doom Slayer, which I'm not convinced is the right direction and instead the opposite of its predecessor's strengths. But we'll see. Everything else looks wonderful, so I'm optimistic.

I'm also kind of expecting the new focus on all this deeplore and the way they present it to probably be worse, but at the same time all the gameplay looks phenomenal so even if the story is poop it should be awesome.

And hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and it'll work well.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Looks great.

I recall Mic Gordon putting out a video asking for heavy metal singers to apply in order to create a giant, heavy metal choir for this game. I really hope that came together.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fantastic, I need this game ASAP < playing Rage 2 now and my faith in id Software is shaking.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing that this game releases this year and mostly all first party games of this year gonna get updated on next-gen consoles to promote them, I hope this game will be updated on next-gen consoles too to add the RT features.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
It looks good but I can't see how they've made improvements over Doom (2016) according to that Twitter quote elsewhere about never been so much geometry before, etc. I'll probably need a Digital Foundry inspection to point out what id Tech 7 has brought to the table.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Rage 2 didn't have Hugo Martin.

In Hugo we trust.

RAGE 2 is a tale of two games

The Avalanche parts (the open world) are boring and a let down

The id Software parts (when you go kerouac on everyone's candyass) are great and why you keep playing it, ESPECIALLY when you get your weapons and powerups

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also kind of expecting the new focus on all this deeplore and the way they present it to probably be worse, but at the same time all the gameplay looks phenomenal so even if the story is poop it should be awesome.

Pretty much. The deeplore rubbish and overly humanised identity of Doomslayer has no appeal to me. Doom '16 works so well precisely because he's a blank avatar characterised almost exclusively as an omnipotent, unstoppable terror for Hell. And the game does this so well, quickly embodying the Doomslayer with little exposition and fluff, and the supplementing lore revolving exclusively around Hell's perception of his slaughter. It frames the character with an elegant simplicity, empowering to embody and without unnecessary exposition.

I don't need some rich additional exposition, characterisation, or storytelling about the Doomslayer. He doesn't need to be anything more than a largely depersonalised killing machine that lives and breaths being a thorn in Hell's side.

But, like you said, the gameplay looks phenomenal so we'll just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed it doesn't go overboard with the story.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Never care about game soundtracks, but what I've heard of this so far sounds good.

May 10, 2019
Oh hell yes....

giphy.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Game of the generation right here, folks. I'm so god damn ready.

Noted that lack of a Switch icon at the end, though...

d1amonddogs

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
good LORD this looks so god damn fun. Improvement in every way from 2016, which was great to begin with. Story seems really interesting too, which is surprising.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused, isn't the doomguy an alien? (the sentinel thing at the end of doom 4) The trailer makes it seem like he's a human (the angel in the trailer talking about him being futile in trying to protect his kind or such)

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I'm a bit confused, isn't the doomguy an alien? (the sentinel thing at the end of doom 4) The trailer makes it seem like he's a human (the angel in the trailer talking about him being futile in trying to protect his kind or such)
There's been theories where Doomguy from the classics and Doomslayer from Doom 2016/Eternal are one and the same

We won't know the real thing until March 20

Personally, I prefer having Doomslayer as a human with enough fury to end billions of demons as he could

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Nope, he was always human:
The real question, is which human is the slayer.

Some say he is from the OG trilogy (I, II and 64) which makes sense since it ends with him staying in hell, so he prolly' ended up on the Night Sentinel's world by entering into one of hell's portals (Which also involves multiverse, since the "History" of the earth on the new games is diferent from the first ones).

Other theories, say he is just a random human from ages ago that was stranded there and received godly powers, etc.
Another one, based on recent trailers, is that the Night Sentinel's world is just a real of humans who recieved "The gift of Argent" by the Angels/Makyr

Still, the general idea is that he is a very ancient human, really pissed and so good at his job, the Seraphim granted him divine powers to do it better.

Either way, id said this is going to be answered on this game.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Nope, he was always human:
The real question, is which human is the slayer.

Some say he is from the OG trilogy (I, II and 64) which makes sense since it ends with him staying in hell, so he prolly' ended up on the Night Sentinel's world by entering into one of hell's portals.
Other theories, say he is just a random human from ages ago that was stranded there and received godly powers, etc.
Another one, based on recent trailers, is that the Night Sentinel's world is just a real of humans who recieved "The gift of Argent" by the Angels/Makyr

Still, the general idea is that he is a very ancient human, really pissed and so good at his job, the Seraphim granted him divine powers to do it better.

Either way, id said this is going to be answered on this game.

I really hope it's not any surprise origin / chosen one guff like that. I prefer that Doom Slayer is a guy who really hates demons and is incredibly proficient at killing them.

The demons mythologizing him for his actions in 1-64 and his unseen carnage through hell is infinitely more interesting than another "prophesied chosen one with a gift" narrative.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I think just seeing Doom Slayer do stuff in third person is weird. One of Doom 2016's narrative strengths was him having only his hands to emote, and boy did he emote. Even previous footage of this game has shown many instances of the Slayer being a much bigger character than you could expect a pair of hands in a video game to be.

I thought that was a major part of how they wanted to tell their story, kinda bummed to see that aspect lessened.

Ha, I just watched the trailer and came here to say essentially this -- I thought I'd be in a very small minority, but I guess not. Well said on all counts.

To add another (admittedly way less significant) wrinkle to this, I'm also concerned that this heightened emphasis on traditional, cinematic narrative could put a damper on what I think is one of the most quietly cohesive, decades-long narratives in gaming. I was just reminded of this piece by Patrick Klepeck the other day, which points out that all the Doom games -- even Doom 3 and Doom 64 -- do actually work together. I think having a less overt narrative is a big part of facilitating that cohesion.

This is the team that made Doom 2016, so I won't be surprised if they pull it off wonderfully, but this trailer gets me a lot more worried than excited on that particular front.

Nov 1, 2017
I really don't want them to dive into who the Doom Slayer is, I remember some devs going off about how he must be a Texan a year or two ago and really I rather not know or have it be stated. Have him just be some demon hating guy that will go through everything to slaughter every last one of them. That's all I want, and that's basically what they gave in the previous Doom. Sure we got some backstory of him being in Hell going on a rampage so mighty that they had to come up with a trap to finally stop him but stuff like that I don't mind. That adds to his legend and can be speculated to tie into any number of past Doom games with nothing certain and I like that ambiguity.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

If you showed a trailer with some story clips of Samuel Hayden and Olivia from the 2016 version it would look like a story driven game too. Im pretty sure its still completely secondary to the action.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
It looks so fucking good. March can't come soon enough.

Might be jumping the gun a bit here, but I'm almost certain Eternal is gonna be my goty.