• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I really enjoyed Doom 2016 but everything that I have seen from Doom Eternal is turning me off.
I mostly dislike the art direction and the fact it's taking place on earth but also the fact that they are giving the doom guy more personality and backstory.

I think Doom is at its best when the fighting is taking place in "neutral" environment like space stations and corridors with a very streamlined aesthetic and narrative.The Hell levels in Doom 2016 were the part I disliked the most and Doom Eternal seems like a full game of that.
Doom Eternal seems to be too overwrought and baroque for my tastes.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Doom 2016 but everything that I have seen from Doom Eternal is turning me off.
I mostly dislike the art direction and the fact it's taking place on earth but also the fact that they are giving the doom guy more personality and backstory.

I think Doom is at its best when the fighting is taking place in "neutral" environment like space stations and corridors with a very streamlined aesthetic and narrative.The Hell levels in Doom 2016 were the part I disliked the most and Doom Eternal seems like a full game of that.
Doom Eternal seems to be too overwrought and baroque for my tastes.

I am also pretty ambivalent toward the general direction they're taking with this. I don't mind the hell on earth setting though, and while the hell maps in 2016 were so and so, the newer fleshy hell-themed DLC maps they added exclusively for the multiplayer looked amazing and it seems Eternal is going more for that style.

"Overwrought" sounds like a good description of Eternal's style overall and why I'm not that big a fan of it. Doomguy's new cluttered design, all the tacked on gadgets, the new story with the "angels" and shit (the way they said "we're building an entire Doom universe" in the initial 2018 reveal rubbed me the wrong way), etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Adding to this, I beat the game last week, and in the credits the id side of things is pretty short.

The only people from id credited on rage 2 that are missing from this screengrab i grabbed off a youtube vid are four people under "Special Thanks"

Well that's weird and slightly tasteless given that id's logo appears in the intro before Avalanche's.

But yeah, I have a lot of problems with Rage's overall design, but the actual nuts and bolts of the shooting gameplay is excellent.

Jun 17, 2018
I am also pretty ambivalent toward the general direction they're taking with this. I don't mind the hell on earth setting though, and while the hell maps in 2016 were so and so, the newer fleshy hell-themed DLC maps they added exclusively for the multiplayer looked amazing and it seems Eternal is going more for that style.

"Overwrought" sounds like a good description of Eternal's style overall and why I'm not that big a fan of it. Doomguy's new cluttered design, all the tacked on gadgets, the new story with the "angels" and shit (the way they said "we're building an entire Doom universe" in the initial 2018 reveal rubbed me the wrong way), etc.

I agree, I'm still looking forward to this but I don't care about the story, I kind of enjoyed the very sporadic text you would get every now and again in the old titles and the game was basically just, murder the spawn of hell until you find the exit.

Not every game needs to have a full narrative and more systems/mechanics to be enjoyable.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Those worried about Eternal being heavy on story and cutscenes I remember developers saying that while Eternal has a lot more story and lore most of it will be out of the way. Player needs to want it and explore the world for it while those who just want blast demons can do that and not get bogged down with other things.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

I agree, I'm still looking forward to this but I don't care about the story, I kind of enjoyed the very sporadic text you would get every now and again in the old titles and the game was basically just, murder the spawn of hell until you find the exit.

Not every game needs to have a full narrative and more systems/mechanics to be enjoyable.
I was also kinda surprised by how much story there seems to be in this, but on the other hand, the Story in Doom 2016 was pretty good even if the game didn't force you to follow it, cause Doom Guy didn't care.
Not like they didn't give him a backstory there already
I still want see how they handle it ingame but I could see it just being the big demon and angel guys smack talking but Doomguy doesn't listen and just slaughters them.
Can't see them go far from that "don't give a fuck about you, you can talk all you want, I just wanna slaughter demons and anything in my way"-attitude from the first game.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Those worried about Eternal being heavy on story and cutscenes I remember developers saying that while Eternal has a lot more story and lore most of it will be out of the way. Player needs to want it and explore the world for it while those who just want blast demons can do that and not get bogged down with other things.

Im actually into all that. I loved DOOM 2016, but I couldnt tell you what was happening on the story side. It didnt hurt the game a lot, and I think little bit more elaborated story shouldnt hurt either

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Waiting for the Switch version (hopefully, I'll be employed again by then and I can play it at work). Woop!

Oct 25, 2017
Only the art direction is really giving me pause, but it was much the same in its predecessor, and that didn't stop me from enjoying myself. If I had my way, though, it would hem more closely to the forwardly horrific look of the original games, or just generally look less garishly embellished and "gamey". They want to lean hard into the cheese, though, so I do get why they've gone this direction.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Catching up with the thread and it seems that the talk about the doomslayer maybe being another person went completely over my head lol, for me there was no doubt Doom 16 guy is the same as the original. Were there elements in 2016 that casted doubt on that fact? If so they completely eluded me ^^

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Dogma+Rip and Tear is one of the most hype things in existence. I know we already got quite a bit of music from Eternal, but I hope it is as good as 2016's.

Still get goosebumps every time I,Dogma and Rip& Tear starts playing the transition between those two with that sick shredding drop is so good.

Oct 27, 2017
Catching up with the thread and it seems that the talk about the doomslayer maybe being another person went completely over my head lol, for me there was no doubt Doom 16 guy is the same as the original. Were there elements in 2016 that casted doubt on that fact? If so they completely eluded me ^^

initially yes, but since they call him human here blatantly, I think it leads more credence to the idea that the Doom Marine and the Doomslayer are one person- who may have jumped dimensions somehow. His armor was also always different and more, human military marine-like compared to the other Night Sentinels.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I'm assuming the station or whatever we see orbiting Earth is the Slayer Hub world they accidentally leaked at QuakeCon and be using portals to bounce around maps and worlds.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The visuals kinda worry me to be honest. A lot of what is in that trailer doesn't looks very hellish or gritty. Instead it looks fairly clean and colorful.

Also not really a fan of them introducing what looks like a seperate faction that's either "angels" or some random mechanical race

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm ecstatic to play this, however a bit bummed out that the Switch version was delayed. I hope before they release the Xbox and PS4 versions we get a release date for Switch at the very least.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Doomguy being a faceless tool of destruction that scared the hell (literally) was cool, his face being showed this time is a bit disappoint. Not a dealbreaker, but I liked that way.
Feels like this new music has a bit more melody than the last game, which was probably my biggest problem with the the OST. Ravenous sound but outside of a couple tracks I wouldn't be able to pick any specific track out of a lineup.
The music does feel a little different this time, I can't say if its for better or not.
Anyway, hyped !

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So far nothing from the music comes close to Rip and Tear or BFG Division. But there's still plenty of new tracks to come so maybe they'll show up.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how well this will run on base consoles

Surely that's what the delay was for right?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
Only the art direction is really giving me pause, but it was much the same in its predecessor, and that didn't stop me from enjoying myself. If I had my way, though, it would hem more closely to the forwardly horrific look of the original games, or just generally look less garishly embellished and "gamey". They want to lean hard into the cheese, though, so I do get why they've gone this direction.

Gameplay looks killer as always but the art direction is almost like everything I hated in the first but worse. It's actually devolved into tasteless territory for me.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Too much plot/10.

I fucking love Doom 2016, but all this mythos building and shit doesn't interest me in the slightest. Feels more like Bayonetta than Doom to me at times in certain respects. Don't get me wrong, I adore the plot we got in the last game, but there seems to be a focus on expansion and exposition this time around, and that's not what I'm here for.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I'm totally not feeling this one.

I get that people like this kind of gameplay, but I feel like a lot of franchises matured this gen, but DOOM seems to go all out with silly arcade-like and extremely exaggerating mechanics and shooting after the grounded and grim DOOM 3, which I like a lot more. This looks like a dark comedy rather than a hellish shooter with demons.

Wish they did something more like Quake II and DOOM 3 with up-to-date storytelling and graphics.

no

just NO

this stays true to the original doom spirit.. it was always more army of darkness than event horizon

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
Too much plot/10.

I fucking love Doom 2016, but all this mythos building and shit doesn't interest me in the slightest. Feels more like Bayonetta than Doom to me at times in certain respects. Don't get me wrong, I adore the plot we got in the last game, but there seems to be a focus on expansion and exposition this time around, and that's not what I'm here for.

Yeah this is my issue. The mythos just sounds so goofy.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
To the people saying too much plot get over yourselves and just ignore the lore and slay. For those of us that enjoy it (myself included) we can collect all the story morsels and feast. Win win?

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like about the new armor is the exposed arms. I get its an homage to Doomguy's original design, but I think it looks just a bit too goofy.

Everything else looks great though, seriously can't wait to play this.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Too much plot/10.

What I liked about DOOM 2016 is that the mythos was there in the info logs if you were curious enough to delve into it (and it was really interesting and funny) but it was not in any way a focus of the actual game, which was lean and mean and trimmed all the fat, pretty worrying that this stuff is now seemingly a large part of the game.

Said it before but I think just seeing cutscenes of Doomguy doing things is pretty weird, like the last game seemed like it purposefully ignored any greater storytelling and here we have actual scenes of him jumping around and doing heroic shit? I dunno, it all just seems antithetical to the previous game, which was so refreshing because it was intentionally giving the middle finger to modern gaming conventions and just got on with it.

We'll see though, they had to cut a trailer after all, so all this stuff might seem more predominate than it actually is in the flow of the game.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know that. The lore isn't clear whether that is actually the case.
I know, I was just joking as I litterally discovered today that they could be different persons ^^
Read a bit more about it now, and I remain with my initial opinion that he's the original Doom Guy.
But both theories make sense and are probable, so I'm happy to know the devs said they would clarify this in Eternal.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The lore building is great, it lends a sense of horror/stakes to the proceedings, but also contrasts nicely with the comedy gold that is Doomguy. I mean, he literally loads himself into a giant shotgun and shoots himself across space in this game. It reminds me of the Hellboy comics where the villains give these long pretentious monologues about destiny, etc, and then Hellboy deflates them with a dismissive one-liner like the no-bullshit blue-collar working stiff he is. Here you have angels and demons trying to talk sense into Doomguy but he's not hearing it. I mean, how could he hear anything over the deafening blast of his Super Shotgun. :)